Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
What's your current mastery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Balon posted:

Im 3/4 of the way to rank 3.

If you were specifically asking for shotgun and heavy melee options, then here goes. You have practically no options for a good shotgun outside of the Drakgoon. I haven't made one yet, but I hear it's pretty good. Boar Prime's in the Orokin Void which is both probably a little difficult for you to get and is being a large amount of RNG. Sobek and Hek are Mastery 4. Strun's just awful. I bought it after I had my Braton for a little while, and the thing just reloads too slow with way too small magazine capacity. DPS calculations are roughly that of the MK1 Braton.

As for Heavy Melee options, I think you're best off waiting till Rank 3 for the Galatine. It's a weapon based completely on its charge attack. 400% charge damage and 25% crit chance on charges. Completely viable for late game.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

SilentW posted:

Orthos is perfectly fine as heavy melee and is much more user and material-friendly than Galatine.

This is true. I actually started this game about 2 weeks ago so I still remember my progression. I was looking around for weapon progression tips as well. Didn't bother with the Cronus because I read that it was barely better than the Skana anyway. Went straight for an Orthos after the Skana.

Here's my problem with the Orthos though. By the time you can create an Orthos, you will have barely any resources (credits mostly) to mod it to any degree. At least that's what happened to me. At the time, I was still trying to upgrade my rifle and pistol mods. An unmodded weapon is of almost no use. I do remember not having many Gallium though, but I had enough by the time I got to somewhere in rank 3.

What I'm getting at is that unless you got a bunch of credits (probably only possible at this point from doing a whole lot of infestation missions), you probably can't afford to do anything with your melee anyway when you're still low rank. So you might as well wait for the Galatine in rank 3.

Just note that Orthos can be considered only a little bit worse than the Galatine. Orthos has faster charge speed (.7 sec versus 1.2), but worse damage and crit chance (200% and 5% versus 400% and 25%). So it's better against weaker enemies when you don't need the 400% charge damage to kill them. If you are not going to put a potato on any of them, there's probably little difference.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
Hate actually has 200% charge damage rather than 160%. Also 1.0 attack speed rather than 1.2.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Specto posted:

Started back up after leaving around feb, and have a few questions:

1) Is there anything that i should know that is not in the OP?

2) Are there any weapons i should be using in particular? (have a branton vandal, a gorgen, and a karak in the foundry)

Damage 2.0 is probably the biggest change since then. So you'll want to check it out.

As for weapons, it depends heavily on your current mastery rank. If you're already rank 6, Soma and Synapse appear to be the best options available for your primaries. If you're below 6, there are a lot of options. I'm currently rank 5, and the best primary I've used so far is the Karak. Since you already have it in the foundry, I'd just use that for now. There are quite a lot of sidegrades though.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

kloa posted:

Yea if y'all need spare mods on the PC, feel free to ask around.

I have 2 spare barrel diffusions that need a good home! (And probably some other goodies.)

Do you mind if I have one of those?

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

limited posted:

Thankfully the infestation in Mars means I got to skip through all those horrid Corpus capture missions that were pissing me off. And the battle pay meant I could get that Karak in the oven, and I even have a catalyst from yesterday cooking too. :getin: Just seems that any planet involving Corpus is like pulling goddamn teeth to get through.

And Volt is drat fun. Zapping a group of infected and just watching them all convulse and die is worryingly soothing. :stare:

Anyway, is there a point to keeping duplicate skill mods if I've already levelled up and slotted them? Or are they just cash / fusion fodder by that point?

If you already have a mod maxed out, keep 1 unmaxed one just so you can use it when you don't have the mod capacity such as when you're moving to a new weapon/warframe or using a forma.

Certain mods you should just keep around due to their rarity as you may one day want to sell them or just give them away to some newcomer.

I highly recommend not selling any mods. They're hardly worth anything. At the very least, just use them for fusion, even if it's not the same mod nor the same polarity. Those max level 10 mods require so many cards to max out.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
Orokin Reactor on Europa Lilith for Corpus Battlepay as well.

Lots of potatoes.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
The weapons are generally better without question, though it's not really the case that they're the best weapons in the game.

The Prime warframes are pretty much only negligibly better. Their only real benefit, an additional polarity slot, is really easily attainable for free from forma blueprint drops from Orokin Void missions.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Carecat posted:

Just noticed this calculator favors +fire rate mods which maximizes your DPS but not your damage per shot. Time to kill isn't vital. Your total damage potential per reload is going to be a better stat in most circumstances and give better ammo efficiency.

There's an option for choosing best damage per shot. You don't have to pick the DPS option if you don't want to.

Carecat posted:

dpsframe.com is flat out wrong. It's multiplying the damage by the projectile count including the decimal place which should be discarded. Fine for rifles but wrong for shotguns and pistols. Pistols are the worst as it stacks two multishots for 2.8 projectiles per shot. You can't have 0.8 of a projectile. If you just prod barrel diffusion the damage changes for each 0.1.

Next thing you'll tell me is that people can't have .06 of a child because the average number of children Americans have is 2.06. It's an average, not indicative of an actual event.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Barnacle Snatcher posted:

(Stalker why do I have 10 Dreads and 0 Despairs? Also, to the guy who got Despair on his first Stalker kill, gently caress you)

Got the same problem as you. I have more than 150 hours on this game, over roughly 25 stalkers, and have 4 dread blueprints. No Hates nor Despairs.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
Allowing blueprint trading would also put a dent into DE's profits, so it's kind of understandable that they don't allow blueprint trading.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

QQmore posted:

I think the last perfect run I did was for Saryn. Of course I forgot I already had a helmet cooked up. Kind of at that point where the only thing left to collect is prime weapons and frames. Which means farming for keys :suicide: Capture keys are definitely my bane. Specifically to get the orthos blades but finishing a bronco and ember prime would be pretty nice.

I find there to be quite a lot of hosts looking for people in the recruit tab such that I haven't needed to farm for keys. Considering how long it takes to farm a single kind of key you want, it takes much less time to wait a few minutes for someone to shout out a mission type you need. You need to be a bit fast at typing to whisper them before everyone else however. Of course, once you get to that last item you need that only drops reliably from one tier of a mission type, it might get a bit difficult to find a host, but that's the case for getting that key as well.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Photex posted:

I've been stumbling through the game hopefully I can get a PS4 invite and play with people that know what the hell is going on.

I completed what looked like a bunch of battle bonuses in venus last night for 20k and 30k credits but I never received them? Is that a timed release thing?

You get those rewards once the nodes' infestations are over. So you can get those rewards extremely quickly if there are a bunch of players playing those missions, and you can get them extremely slowly if not.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
Have had a similar glitch twice over the past two days on the PC version doing Void Extermination missions. First time it happened, the enemies did not spawn until the very last 3 rooms. It was ok because at least they still continuously spawned. The second time, the enemies could only spawn in the extraction room. There were almost 200 enemies and only 8-10 spawned every minute or 2 and you had to leave the spawning area everytime. Our group just left after a while and made a new one.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
If you really need a lot of cells, wait till there's an infestation on Saturn or Ceres and then do a mobile defense mission. Have everyone just sit near the console and bring a Nekros specced for Desecrate spam. Try to do it with clannies as, 80% of the time, pubbies will not sit on the console.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
The thing that stops people from making the Rhino early on probably isn't the the mastery rank requirement but that control module necessary for making the systems. I know it did for me. I don't think I managed to get a control module until way into rank 3, maybe even 4.

If you have trouble finding one, ask a guy in the clan to taxi you to a Europa, Neptune, or Orokin Void mission. Alternatively, just look around in the recruitment tab for people asking for people to join them in a T1 Void mission.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Washin Tong posted:

I think getting Orokin Cells is actually harder since you need to get to Sargas Ruk in Saturn or get lucky with random drops.

Captain Vor on Mercury actually drops them sometimes. I played the mission a few times when I first started out and got 2 fairly early on as a result.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
PC Potatoes

Despina, Neptune Invasion for Orokin Catalyst Blueprint

Halimede, Neptune Invasion for Orokin Reactor Blueprint

Probably around an hour left if you hurry.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

limited posted:

Fun thing I've read, is he's a Orokin drop as well. Guess it's back to killing Jackal over and over. When he works that is. I still want a goddamn Rhino like all the cool kids, but keep getting helmet blueprints. :argh:

Nekros blueprints are not a fairly hard thing to acquire like the other stuff in the Orokin missions though, and there are usually some people looking for people to join their ODAs. You also get some neurodes and a decent amount of orokin cells as a plus side. You pretty much always need more of those.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Bunleigh posted:

Just had a run where the extraction room was the one with the big gap you have to cross. Me and one dude crossed and then spent the entire minute watching the other two fail to make it across. What the gently caress :psyduck:

Is it the Grineer tileset in earlier planets with the 4 lockers and 2 ziplines on either side? When I first started playing, I had to actually tell people about the ziplines. I didn't know about the ziplines either until a few missions in and would just zorencopter over cause that's what some of the higher ranks did.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
Update 12 is coming out right now.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

My melee button started switching my weapons instead of melee attacking (so both my weapon-switch and melee buttons do the same thing), has that happened to anyone else? I use C for melee and Q for weapon switch if that matters. I put melee on mouse 3 and that works, just not C anymore.

Just rebind your melee key onto C again. I bound my c key as my parry button before this update. It changed to weapon switch after it. I just rebound it as my parry again, and it worked fine once more.

I'm not particularly fond of this new UI either. I can't see a drat thing. Played 2 survivals yesterday and could not see the oxygen bar at all in my periphery. I'm pretty sure my 3 teammates didn't either as I had to warn them to leave when the oxygen was getting to around 5% values. I tried moving the UI closer to the center for now, but haven't had a chance to play it for more than a few minutes like that just yet.

Just looking at dpsframe, bows seem to have gotten a 5x DPS buff or something absurd.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

The Jumpoff posted:

I'm going to break it down by faction:

Grineer: Corrosive (Poison and Electricity, slotted before any other two elemental mods) is going to chew through their armor and make it seem like tissue paper, due to its proc of Reduced Armor. To this end, the only other elemental combo you can slot is Blast (Fire and Cold, slotted next to each other, or with no other elemental mods in the way) is going to give you a knockdown AoE whenever it procs (which will be a lot with a well-built Magnus)

Corpus: The Magnus loving rocks against the Corpus, due to it's high Impact Damage. As for elemental combos, slot Magnetic (Cold and Electricity together), which on a proc reduces their max shields, so if you can't kill them immediately and their shields DO regen, it'll be easier to take them out. The only other combo you can slot is Gas (Heat and Poison together), BUT it deals -25% versus Flesh. However, the proc is a Toxin damage AoE, which causes their health to tick down. It's up to you on that one, but I usually slot it for shits and giggles.

Infested: Gas. Gas is going to chew through Infested like crazy. The Magnus only has 12 slash damage base, which is by no means bad, but it's not as high as some weapons (Vasto).

Hope this helped!

An addendum to this is if you're doing high level missions with fairly good equipment, you should not take Corrosive against Grineer nor Gas against Infested.

Against Grineer, Corrosive is extraordinarily good against the majority of the enemies. These enemies have Ferrite armor that is weak to Corrosive. However, the Grineer faction also has a bunch of enemies that have Alloy armor. All the Grineer bosses that have armor have Alloy, and what I would say to be the three toughest Grineer enemy types, Eviscerators, Napalms, and Bombards, all have Alloy armor.

The best elemental against Alloy is Radiation, which is what I would suggest you use once you start seeing these three types of enemies pop up. When you get that high up, only these 3 enemies will be of any danger to you anyway, so having Corrosive is not necessary.

And for the Infested, the situation is fairly the same as the Grineer. Gas is really good against weak enemies, but once you get higher up, these types of enemies will not be of any danger to you anymore. At that point, you will want to take Corrosive, which is extremely effective against the Fossilized armor that Ancient Disrupters and Toxic Ancients have. These 2 enemy types are the ones that will kill you, not the chargers and crawlers and such.

Oh, and if you ever get into the void, take Corrosive. The Corrupted Heavy Gunners and Corrupted Ancients, which are the hardest enemies in there, are both weak to Corrosive. Possibly take cold as well for the regular shields that many of them have.

Metaprognosticate fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 9, 2014

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
From what I've read and from the mechanics of armor that exist on the players' warframes, I probably have a good idea on the mechanics of doing damage to Grineer.

Just like for our warframes, their armor is strictly damage mitigation. From what I've read from some forum posts and seen from some youtube videos is that having Radiation against Alloy, and Corrosive against Ferrite basically amounts to damage ignore. So if some enemy has 100 Ferrite armor, the Corrosive part of your weapon is dealing damage as if they had 25 armor. The regular IPS part of your weapon probably still has to go through the 100 Ferrite armor. The Cloned Flesh is always there in the equation after damage is mitigated from armor.

Now, the difference between Alloy and Ferrite seems to just be a difference in type. What makes Napalms and Bombards so hard to kill is that they have craploads of armor as well as Cloned Flesh, which is what you need to get to 0 to kill them.

For example, Grineer Napalms have base 600 Cloned Flesh and 500 Alloy armor. So if you have no bonuses, they only take 37.5% damage from your weapon, and you have to get through that 600 health as well. Note that both health and armor increase as they level up.

Meanwhile, a regular Grineer Lancer has 100 Cloned Flesh and 100 Ferrite Armor. So if you have no bonuses, they take 75% damage from your weapons, double that of a Napalm, and they have only a sixth of the HP.

You can now see why Napalms are so freaking tough. They take 12 times the damage necessary to kill a regular Lancer. It's also why Radiation is the recommended elemental effect to use against Grineer. The big guys just need so much damage to kill that you absolutely have to get rid of that damage mitigation.

I'm using the damage mitigation equation from the wiki for the damage calculations.

Edit: Looking at it this way, I can see why Viral isn't as good as Radiation for the tougher Grineer enemies. Let's take the example of a Napalm again. So let's say you have 100 Radiation damage. That'd be 100/(1+125/300) which is equal to about 71.

Now let's do 100 Viral damage. That'd be [100/(1+500/300)]*1.75 which is equal to about 66.

If you consider that Viral has a chance of completing halving a unit's hp, it may seem like, given enough status chance, Viral would be better. However, armor grows exponentially with enemy levels.

total Armor = base Armor * (1 + (((current Level - base Level) ^ 2.5) / 400))

So say for an enemy 10 above their base level, they'd have about 1.79 times the base armor, but for an enemy 20 above their base level, they'd have about 5.47 times the base armor. So this armor ignoring Radiation and Corrosive damage becomes more and more important as enemies scale up in comparison to the Viral status effect (which does not stack as far as I've read).

I have no idea if Grineer heads have no armor or not, but from personal play, they don't take nearly enough damage for me to seem that it does. Just seems like the 2x damage multiplier that headshots get.

Metaprognosticate fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 12, 2014

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Does every nightmare mode mod have an equal chance of dropping from every nightmare mode mission? The wiki has nothing to say to the contrary.

Drop rates are on the wiki.

Three different chances.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

Cainer posted:

I want to level other weapons but I got the Latron Prime a few days ago and I just can't stop formaing it! It's so such fun throwing shred and split chamber on it and having a field day with suckers who think cover will save them. Only problem I have with it is the reload time but since I have been leveling it with my Frost Prime its not been too much of a big deal, whenever I need to reload I just bubble.

Any tips on builds for it? I see it has a decent crit and status chance, should I try to work with that? Right now I'm mostly just stuffing it with split, shred, serration and a bunch of elemental mods.

Also, thanks again for pointing me toward Kappa, me and my friends have been grinding it out so we can build birdframe.

I just recently put 4 forma on it because it's so great, but 3 might be fine. The crit chance and base crit damage is definitely good enough to put Vital Sense and Point Strike on it.

You basically want a dash and at least 4 V polarities. Serration and Split Chamber is obvious. Then you need 2 more V for Vital Sense and Point Strike. You need the Dash for the Infected Clip or Stormbringer for your Radiation/Magnetic/Corrosive combos for your Grineer/Corpus/Infected runs respectively.

The last two mod slots are situational. I tried using heavy caliber on it, but this gun has way too low magazine size and slow reload speed that I don't think it's all that worth it. It's killing everything in anything but high level defense and survival in one hit anyway. I really, really like Shred. If you can hit 2 or 3 things at a time even some of the time, it's very much worth it. If you can hit something behind a wall that you otherwise couldn't have, it's very much worth it. Last slot, probably the standard bane mod and the standard cryo round for void.

Oh yeah, remember that you can reload cancel at 3/4ths of the reload. It does save a little bit of time. I still think Soma's better than this gun considering you can put heavy caliber on that and it can reload cancel at 1/2 of the reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013

I love cats posted:

When the gently caress did that change? Not a week ago they weren't for sale by themselves. You needed a blueprint and a pair of latos to build them, or buy them for plat.

Been like that for a while. I started in January, and I remember buying Aklatos in the market for credits way back then. I know because I used my starting lato to make a Bolto rather than having to use them on Aklatos.