Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It turns out that my mom threw out the cast iron pans she had because they got rusty and she was moving. :smithicide:

I did, however, notice that I was given a brand new cast-iron sauteuse (with a lid!) that's older than I am and has never been used before. How would I take care of hard-anodized cast-iron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004

psychokitty posted:

Your best bet is to let your steak come to room temp first, but I dunno, you could try a press? I can't think of any reason it would be bad, necessarily. Cheaper just to wait an hour.

Well, I puddle them first, so they're pretty well cooked. I just need a crust and the thin bastards curl something wicked.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So being from Euroland, cast iron pans are not all the rage here. In fact I never saw one in a shop in Switzerland.
Much to my surprise a large market type thing started carrying Lodge stuff. Much to my dismay they decided a simple cast iron pan was not needed in their assortment but rather very small cast iron things or weird pans with round holes called I think a Aebleskiver Pan, I have no clue why anyone would use this type of thing but I'm just looking to make loving awesome steak and bacon or I don't know what else I can make in it.

I finally found a 31 cm cast iron pan and just ordered it. I'm going to season it with canola oil because I cannot seem to find flaxseed oil anywhere? I believe canola oil will do perfectly fine?

I'm also planning to use it to put in my oven when baking bread and pour water in it to create steam. I was wondering if this might damage the seasoning?

I'll hopefully be back with success stories about cast iron steak / bacon.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Le0 posted:

So being from Euroland, cast iron pans are not all the rage here. In fact I never saw one in a shop in Switzerland.
Much to my surprise a large market type thing started carrying Lodge stuff. Much to my dismay they decided a simple cast iron pan was not needed in their assortment but rather very small cast iron things or weird pans with round holes called I think a Aebleskiver Pan, I have no clue why anyone would use this type of thing but I'm just looking to make loving awesome steak and bacon or I don't know what else I can make in it.

I finally found a 31 cm cast iron pan and just ordered it. I'm going to season it with canola oil because I cannot seem to find flaxseed oil anywhere? I believe canola oil will do perfectly fine?

I'm also planning to use it to put in my oven when baking bread and pour water in it to create steam. I was wondering if this might damage the seasoning?

I'll hopefully be back with success stories about cast iron steak / bacon.

Aebleskiver pan to make Aebleskiver. Canola oil works fine, so does hydrogenated vegetable shortening (Crisco). Flaxseed oiling your cast iron pan is pretty spergy and not necessary. It is worth mentioning though that my seasoning, while effective, is blotchy and ugly as sin.

I've also used my skillet as a steamer for baking as you describe and it didn't damage the seasoning, but I cook fat laden things with it on the stove far more, so if it was only used to boil water in the oven, maybe it'd damage it?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

phthalocyanine posted:

Aebleskiver pan to make Aebleskiver. Canola oil works fine, so does hydrogenated vegetable shortening (Crisco). Flaxseed oiling your cast iron pan is pretty spergy and not necessary. It is worth mentioning though that my seasoning, while effective, is blotchy and ugly as sin.

I've also used my skillet as a steamer for baking as you describe and it didn't damage the seasoning, but I cook fat laden things with it on the stove far more, so if it was only used to boil water in the oven, maybe it'd damage it?

Nah, it wouldn't 'damage' it. If you use tap water you'll get mineral spotting, if you use distilled it'll probably end up looking pretty good. Either way, smear some bacon fat on it again immediately and you'll be golden. it'll already be loving hot from the baking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The answer is ALWAYS more bacon fat.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for the advice guys. Just wondering tho, I think the pan I will receive will be coated in a pre-seasoning. Should I remove this seasoning? And if yes, how so?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Best thing I've ever done with my cast iron. Splayed chicken. Got it from here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/dining/splayed-roast-chicken-with-caramelized-ramps-recipe.html?_r=0

I use sweet onions and scallions instead of ramps, because who can get ramps. Make sure to use a good chicken, because the chicken fat will render and the onions (or ramps)/garlic will be caramelizing in it. Seriously gently caress Tyson or Perdue. Spend in the neighbor of 25$ for the chicken you use for this, how the fat tastes matter immensely. The wilted greens/fat/onion mixture at the end is the best thing ever.

Expect to accidentally burn your self doing this. The skillet is very hot and very heavy and oil/fat will be spattering like crazy the second you put the chicken in. You will be pulling it in and out of the very hot oven multiple times. You're probably going to need to clean your oven afterwards too (and I mean a full run the cleaning cycle cleaning). I would not serve this to guests until you've done it a couple times because it ends up being kind of high stress to do.

Unrelated one can use enameled cast iron to make recipes (with some small modifications) you would otherwise need a Tajine for.

For anyone who doesn't click links.

NYT posted:

Splayed Roast Chicken With Caramelized Ramps, Garlic and Capers
Published: May 4, 2012

Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Multimedia
Splayed Roast Chicken With Ramps
Related

A Good Appetite: A New Breed of Roast Chicken, Cast-Iron Seared (May 9, 2012)

1 4 1/2-pound whole chicken, patted dry

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 bunch fresh ramps (6 ounces)

1 lemon, quartered

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled

1 tablespoon capers.

1. Rub the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. If you’ve got time, do this 2 to 3 hours ahead and refrigerate the bird uncovered. Otherwise, let it rest uncovered at room temperature while the oven heats.

2. Place a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet in the oven and heat to 500 degrees for 45 minutes. If you salted the chicken in advance, take it out of the fridge so it can warm to room temperature.

3. Meanwhile, prep the ramps: trim the hairy bottoms and remove the outer layer of skin. Separate the leaves from the bulbs, rinse both gently and pat dry. Cut any fat bulbs (wider than a pencil) in half lengthwise. Tear the leaves into large pieces.

4. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut the skin connecting the legs to the body. Splay the thighs open until you feel the joint pop on each side. Place 2 lemon wedges inside the chicken.

5. Carefully transfer chicken, breast-side up, to the hot skillet. Press down on the legs so they rest flat on the bottom of the pan. Drizzle the bird with the oil. Roast for 30 minutes. Toss ramp bulbs (not leaves), garlic and capers into the skillet. Stir to coat them with pan juices. Roast for 5 minutes more, then stir again. Continue cooking until ramps are tender and chicken is no longer pink, 5 to 15 minutes more (for a total cooking time of 40 to 50 minutes).

6. Remove chicken from oven and stir ramp leaves into the pan until just wilted. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the pan juices and ramps, garlic and capers, seasoning everything with juice from the remaining lemon wedges, if desired.

Edit: I'd never watched the video (got the recipe from a physical paper). It's way more stressfull to do this than the video lets on.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 12, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BrandorKP posted:

Seriously gently caress Tyson or Perdue. Spend in the neighbor of 25$ for the chicken you use for this, how the fat tastes matter immensely.

Does Whole Foods even sell a $25 4lb chicken? Where they hell do you buy one at? Even the mega-organic/grain fed/free range/petted daily birds at Kroger are only like 8 bucks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pastured poultry from a local farm or farmers market is normally in the 5-7 $ dollar a pound range in the area I live in. I have a big skillet and I think I've been using a five + pound bird. The big thing is to buy a bird that you know the fat is going taste good. Yeah you can buy the Simple Truth type stuff at Kroger for less than that (2-4 dollars a pound depending on where one lives). Even though that's organic and antibiotic free it's still a grain fed bird. Personally the organic part isn't a big deal to me. It's the pastured part that matters, because that's what makes the fat taste good. Whole Foods is a mixed bag, you can definitely get the organic and the hormone/antiboitic free there, but you might not be able to find pastured depending on where you live in the country.

An example of what I'm talking about. I've been buying my chickens from here: http://www.savannahriverfarms.com/
But they just burned me with a lovely yield from hanging weight and poorly butchered cuts on a quarter of a steer I bought. So I'm hesitant to recommend them to anyone in that area.

If you live in a rural area you might be able to find pastured but conventional chickens that would be cheap and the fat would taste good. In the Midwest you can find that around Hmong communities (but in general those birds will be live, which may scare most people off). In other places kosher might be the way to go, need good tasting fat to make good tasting schmaltz.

Edit: That's probably the best way to think about it. The ramps or onions are caramelizing in schmaltz, in rendered chicken fat, and that fat needs to taste good.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 12, 2014

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

BrandorKP posted:

Best thing I've ever done with my cast iron. Splayed chicken. Got it from here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/dining/splayed-roast-chicken-with-caramelized-ramps-recipe.html?_r=0

I use sweet onions and scallions instead of ramps, because who can get ramps. Make sure to use a good chicken, because the chicken fat will render and the onions (or ramps)/garlic will be caramelizing in it. Seriously gently caress Tyson or Perdue. Spend in the neighbor of 25$ for the chicken you use for this, how the fat tastes matter immensely. The wilted greens/fat/onion mixture at the end is the best thing ever.

Expect to accidentally burn your self doing this. The skillet is very hot and very heavy and oil/fat will be spattering like crazy the second you put the chicken in. You will be pulling it in and out of the very hot oven multiple times. You're probably going to need to clean your oven afterwards too (and I mean a full run the cleaning cycle cleaning). I would not serve this to guests until you've done it a couple times because it ends up being kind of high stress to do.

Unrelated one can use enameled cast iron to make recipes (with some small modifications) you would otherwise need a Tajine for.

For anyone who doesn't click links.

Edit: I'd never watched the video (got the recipe from a physical paper). It's way more stressfull to do this than the video lets on.

I adore this recipe. It has been one of my go-tos for small groups, and my wife requests it at least once a month. Don't stress too much about it. I've yet to mess it up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Seems like you could easily do that recipe in a cast iron Dutch oven and the splatter would be less of a problem

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Le0 posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. Just wondering tho, I think the pan I will receive will be coated in a pre-seasoning. Should I remove this seasoning? And if yes, how so?

No, it's not necessary to remove it. I just scrub my new iron pans with soap and water, and then season right on top of whatever's still there. The pre-seasoning that Lodge uses is pretty minimal and crappy and it shouldn't interfere too much with a new layer of seasoning unless you want it to be ~ perfect ~, which would likely require sanding down your Lodge anyway.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Yeah the general rule isn't to overthink it too much. Just use your pan whenever you have an excuse. Omit (preferable) or minimize the use of soap in the cleaning (I just use a scrub brush and wipe it down). That's pretty much it. Regular use will leave archeological layers of carbonized fats over time. I'd like to insert the castiron.txt post that someone did a while back that is pretty much the manifesto of don't worry about it as it comes to these things but don't have it handy.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I was using my cast-iron skillet the other night to cook a steak, and somehow set off the smoke detectors. This is probably due to the poor location of my apartment kitchen with zero ventilation, but will picking an oil with higher smoke point reduce the smoke? Do I just need to cook at a lower temperature?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
If you're searing a steak at the gently caress off heat that you should be, you're going to set off the smoke detectors. You should be using a high heat oil regardless. If you're trying to get some proper crust on a steak, all you need is a healthy bit of salt and a small amount of high smoke point canola/peanut/grape/etc oil rubbed directly on the steak itself. Olive oil will turn plastic at the heat you'll want. Preheat the pan in the oven for optimal heat coverage. Sear the poo poo out of the steak. Finish it off in the oven if you want it cooked more than medium rare (and are a butt).

Your cast iron pan should live in your oven anyway. It helps maintain a more consistent heat in the oven itself when you cook other things.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Bo-Pepper posted:

If you're searing a steak at the gently caress off heat that you should be, you're going to set off the smoke detectors. You should be using a high heat oil regardless. If you're trying to get some proper crust on a steak, all you need is a healthy bit of salt and a small amount of high smoke point canola/peanut/grape/etc oil rubbed directly on the steak itself. Olive oil will turn plastic at the heat you'll want. Preheat the pan in the oven for optimal heat coverage. Sear the poo poo out of the steak. Finish it off in the oven if you want it cooked more than medium rare (and are a butt).

Your cast iron pan should live in your oven anyway. It helps maintain a more consistent heat in the oven itself when you cook other things.

I was doing this for the first few months I had mine just out of convenience but I was afraid it was hurting the seasoning. Can you speak to that?

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 14, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Paper With Lines posted:

I was doing this for the first few months I had mine just out of convenience but I was afraid it was hurting the seasoning. Can you speak to that?

As long as you actually use (and care for) the pan, it'll keep seasoning. If you make steam with it all the time like I do, you might want to reseason pretty frequently.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bo-Pepper posted:

I keep some cast iron in my oven but I also keep a big rear end baking stone on the bottom rack for more even heating. Learned that from some bread baking book.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Bob Morales posted:

I keep some cast iron in my oven but I also keep a big rear end baking stone on the bottom rack for more even heating. Learned that from some bread baking book.

We have a slab of granite in the bottom of our oven, a friend had it left over from counter installation.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I bough two small cast iron bowls things recently and I used one to put water in it while baking. Only the first time I forgot the "don't put in sink with water" golden rule and so a few hours later some rust appeared on it. I washed it as best as I could and then I wiped some canola oil on it. Only I had some black marks on the paper I used. When I put oil on the second one which wasn't used nothing came out. What is this black thing? Is that the pre-seasoning coming off?

They are made by Lodge by the way

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Zhent posted:

I was using my cast-iron skillet the other night to cook a steak, and somehow set off the smoke detectors. This is probably due to the poor location of my apartment kitchen with zero ventilation, but will picking an oil with higher smoke point reduce the smoke? Do I just need to cook at a lower temperature?

In the future, remove the battery from the smoke detector while cooking steak. This is a common apartment problem and you are not alone.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bob Morales posted:

Does Whole Foods even sell a $25 4lb chicken? Where they hell do you buy one at? Even the mega-organic/grain fed/free range/petted daily birds at Kroger are only like 8 bucks.

I cooked this in my cast iron the other month. Tasted soooooo good.

And the stock I made with it the next day was good too. It was from the new Fremont Whole Foods. They had 2 different kinds of pastured chickens.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

d3rt posted:

And the stock I made with it the next day was good too. It was from the new Fremont Whole Foods. They had 2 different kinds of pastured chickens.

I prefer my chickens to taste of neglect and solitude.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

d3rt posted:

I think it's funny that they weigh the chicken out to the milipound.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
We have 2 skillets that are used almost daily. 1 small one for eggs, and a standard sized for...everything else. Seriously, most of our cooking is done in either a Dutch oven, a cast iron pan, or the slow cooker. It's heavenly. Favorites:

-Hashes of sausage and home fries
-Bacon and egg biscuits (eggs in the small on lower heat, covered, for a perfect sunny side up, bacon in the large on med/high - usually finishes about the same time)
-Biscuits and gravy

-Any kind of meat
-White fish wrapped in bacon, finished in the oven
-Blanched vegetables finished with butter and lemon juice

I don't know what the deal is with acid, I mean, I wouldn't fill the thing with vinegar but I have made dishes with tomato and so forth. We clean with salt usually, water and scrubbing sometimes, and have to re-season maybe once a year? Acid is too tasty not to cook with. I won't make marinara in it, but cast iron's sturdy stuff, it doesn't care if you squeeze a lemon on it.

Also, cast iron is awesome for making pan sauces with. Cook your steak or whatever, deglaze with whatever wine you have around (stock is good too), whisk in some flour and salt, pour that on your steak. Delicious.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Made this beast last night!

Deep dish spicy Italian sausage, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and pepperoni pizza. Since I'm terrible with managing dough at times I often opt to use my cast iron in favor of a stone. Have to say the versatility of cast iron is amazing!

Now I need to learn to cook steak with it.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I want that recipe, cause drat that looks good

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I would like to know what you did, too. For eating purposes. That looks so good.

Bret Post
Apr 12, 2013

I'm a Gooby
I've done deep dish cast iron pizza a few times before. This dough http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html holds up really well, and the amount the recipe makes is perfect for a 10 inch deep dish with real thick crust. Basically just make the dough, roll it out, put it in the cast iron with 2-3 inches hanging over the lip of the pan. Pack in your ingredients in layers (I like a layer of cheese at the bottom to kinda hold the whole thing together) and put sauce and parmesan on top. Fold extra dough back onto the top to form the top crust.

Now here's the secret:

throw the cast iron on the burner on high for about 7 minutes to crisp the bottom and sides, then throw it into the oven at 450 to bake the rest.

Since you can't really preheat the cast iron, it doesn't matter how hot the oven is when you put the pan in, because the pan will be we cold, and the crust gets lovely.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
When you make bread and pizza poo poo, salt retards the yeast growth, right? Wouldn't you want to add salt right at the end of things, when you mix it together for the last time, or do you just run the risk of salt not getting evenly dispersed if you wait?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nah just add the salt. Nothing bad happens.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I've never had any issues adding it at the same time. I just don't pour the salt right onto the yeast without mixing the yeast into the flour a little first. Give it a couple stirs and I think you should have no trouble.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

onemanlan posted:

Made this beast last night!

Deep dish spicy Italian sausage, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and pepperoni pizza. Since I'm terrible with managing dough at times I often opt to use my cast iron in favor of a stone. Have to say the versatility of cast iron is amazing!

Now I need to learn to cook steak with it.

You need to come back to this thread and post this recipe.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
A marinaded steak was cooked in my cast iron pan, which resulted in a bunch of burnt-on crap that I've had to do my best to scrape off using various methods. There are still some bumps but I can't seem to get them off, so I oiled and oven'd it for now to put any seasoning back on that I took off when trying to get the crap off. I was wondering if this was just a peril of cooking marinaded food in cast iron or if there's something I could do to prevent this next time?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

A marinaded steak was cooked in my cast iron pan, which resulted in a bunch of burnt-on crap that I've had to do my best to scrape off using various methods. There are still some bumps but I can't seem to get them off, so I oiled and oven'd it for now to put any seasoning back on that I took off when trying to get the crap off. I was wondering if this was just a peril of cooking marinaded food in cast iron or if there's something I could do to prevent this next time?

The sugars will burn, it's not a big deal. Clean it as best you can and then forget about it, it'll come off eventually.

If you want to avoid it, don't cook sugary things at such a high heat. I don't know what various methods mean, the best way to clean poo poo stuck on it is to either keep cooking with it, or boil water in the pan and then scrub it out with a hard plastic brush/scrubber. But honestly, though, don't stress the small stuff.

Maybe pat dry the meat before putting it in?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Drifter posted:

The sugars will burn, it's not a big deal. Clean it as best you can and then forget about it, it'll come off eventually.

If you want to avoid it, don't cook sugary things at such a high heat. I don't know what various methods mean, the best way to clean poo poo stuck on it is to either keep cooking with it, or boil water in the pan and then scrub it out with a hard plastic brush/scrubber. But honestly, though, don't stress the small stuff.

Maybe pat dry the meat before putting it in?

Yeah, I boiled some water and scrubbed for a couple of rounds and then put it in an oven to try to char it some more so I could scrape it off. Glad to know it was just the sugars in the sauce, I'll advise Mr Bollock Monkey to turn the heat down a bit more in future. Thanks for your response!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Scrubbing it with steel wool (NOT a soap pad) is great if you have a hard time scraping the pan out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Echoing the steel wool for absolute best cast iron cleaning implement. All you need is a quick scrub with the wool and a rinse and you're good to go. The more usual scrubbie style stuff doesn't really cut it nearly as well as the steel wool does. Also holy poo poo I really want to make that pizza now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gwaihir posted:

Also holy poo poo I really want to make that pizza now.

Where the gently caress IS that guy with the recipe, anyway...

• Locked thread