Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, I actually agree with you two on the game focusing on Parker and Jessica instead. Or at least, not focus on 2/3 of the RE trinity of Chris/Jill/Leon. I noticed this starting with RE5, but Capcom is hesitant to let go of past characters, to almost an alarming level. RE5 was hyped up as Jill having died, except she's alive and under mind control because of reasons established in RE3 and cemented later on in this game. RE6 felt like it should have been Jake and Sherry's game, yet it had Leon riding shotgun with a pile of dead weight and tits (Helena), Ada hyped up as playing an important role, but then became an exposition source because Capcom made the game and realized they forgot a place to throw in the plot dump, and Chris literally being tacked on at the very end of development to help draw in more people. And even then, (RE6 spoilers)Chris' campaign got rewritten so Chris wouldn't die at the end. Here, we have a similar situation; newer characters (Parker, Raymond, O'Brien, and even Jessica) turning out more entertaining than the previously established characters (Chris and Jill). I just wish that Capcom would let the fresh faces have more importance in this franchise. Instead, we get the fan favorites stealing the spotlight and have the more interesting newer characters relegated to supporting roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

:ughh:, the live-action "Resident Evil" movies. Or as other people (myself included) call them: "Paul W.S. Anderson's 'Mila Jovovich exploitation series'".

I still don't know how Anderson managed to fart out more than one of those films, let alone FIVE of them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jessica...you were "meh" to me before. But now you've killed David Bowie. You have crossed the line.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The main difference between Jill and Alice is that Jill has never truly been "god-modded for the sake of the plot" outside of Revelations, whereas Alice is constantly god-modded over the course of the Resident Evil movies because she's the director's girlfriend/fiance/wife. For her previous infections, Jill had to go out of her way and find a cure for the virus that had infected her, which added some tension to the gameplay. Here...we don't get that. Jill just finds a vaccine, injects herself with it, and then swims through the virus tank like it's nothing. I'll be the first to agree that Jill doing all of that within minutes of casually injecting a vaccine (seriously, who just up and injects a vaccine into their body with such a calm demeanor?), and then coming out perfectly fine is just ridiculous. But then again, Jill hasn't been made into a completely superhuman Mary Sue like Alice.

She still can't drop a haymaker on boulders like Chris "Punch Rockgroin" Redfield can, for example. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Highwang posted:

Yeah this is true, I just like giving Jill hell because she's pretty low on my list of favorite RE characters.

Doesn't Jill technically have vaccination for the Parasite/Virus combo in RE5 as well alongside T-Virus, Tyrant and T-Abyss?
No. (RE5 spoilers) It's the combination of all her vaccinations (at the time of RE5, just T-Virus and Tyrant; T-Abyss is a retcon) that render her immune to stuff like Ouroboros. It's why Wesker gives her that silly-looking chestpiece that acts as mind control; Jill cannot be infected with the virus du jour (or any virus, meaning the other viruses from the series wouldn't work as well), so Wesker's plan needed to be revised.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Chris. Your non-reaction in these videos is so hilarious considering what gets done to your character in (chronologically) the next two games in the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well....there kind of is a laser gun in RE5. It's a special unlockable weapon that's more or less an aimed satellite laser, but it counts.

As for RE7 rumor mills, I would be genuinely interested in how they'd bring back Claire. Degeneration made it really clear that Claire is now "retired" and devoted to helping people behind the scenes from bio-terror attacks, rather than on the front lines like her brother. That said, Claire returning would a welcome treat.

But personally, I just want Jake and Sherry's Excellent Adventure instead.

• Locked thread