Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Since we are suggesting mods:

IWD fixpack. Basically unofficial patch for IWD. Don't see any reason to not install it.

IWD2 NPC pack. Adds BG2 style NPCs to IWD2. Haven't actually played with this myself yet, but I've heard it's decent.

BGEE Classic Movies The new BGEE cinematics got pretty mixed reaction. This mod restores the original BG1 ones to BGEE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Just beat Firkraag pretty handily and now I am wondering if I should pickup Keldorn or not. I have been rolling with mage/cleric main, dorn. korgan, viconia, hexxat and edwin. I imagine this isn't really compatible with Keldorn? Holy avenger is such a good sword is a shame to see it go to waste.

I know Viconia and Keldorn don't get along. I'd imagine same to be true for Hexxat too.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Evil party may be only level 10 but they put in some serious work.

You are playing with the exact same party as I am. Only difference is that my PC is a sorcerer.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Will I have fun if I choose to play like a fighter or something in BG2? Everything I've heard about it points towards magic being the be all and end all.

BG games play more like RTS than a roguelike. Sure you make your own dude, but really you control the whole party. Also if you start with BG1 know that the combat you do for the first couple levels is very different from how it works later on.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah it's just lowering the difficulty every time I level up is kind of a pain in the rear end. :effort:

And I'm not sure if you can do that in multiplayer.

That shouldn't be a huge problem in BG2.

The Manual posted:

Starting at level 10 (and 11 for rogues and wizards), characters no longer gain additional hit dice for hit points when they gain a level. Instead, warrior classes gain a flat +3 hit points per level, priests gain +2 hit points per level, and wizards gain +1 hit point per level. Constitution applies as normal.

Considering you start at lvl 9-10 you only roll for hit points once or twice depending on class. After that it's always the default amount.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

uwu culture posted:

The most significant new bug that springs to mind is that sometimes the game crashes when saving, and you end up with a saved game that looks completely black with no party members but can still be loaded. If you do load this save a lot of variables are reset and quests will start bugging out.

That sounds like the memory leak crash that patch is supposed to fix.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Requoting myself since it went unnoticed: should I install UB, the fixpack, etc. on top of EE?

Fixpack no, BG1 UB is does not work with BGEE.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

I caved and bought BG2EE through Steam after hearing that they patched the more serious issues. I can't seem to find where in the game the version number is listed though? I just want to make sure it's the right one but can't seem to find it.

I haven't seen it anywhere either, if you really want make sure you got right version go to the BG2EE Steam folder. There is a file there called build-date.txt, it should read: "Thu Nov 21 14:54:23 MST 2013"

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Has anyone found any new items outside the NPC quests? Like that stun mace that was hidden in Beregost in BGEE.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

As for new content, I actually think it's really good. Like at least on par with SoA standard, and a good bit of it is actually much better than that. Neera's quest in particular has a lot of good fights and set pieces. And the weird thing about the new content is that a lot of it offers variant choice in approach, which is conspicuous in that original game quests that offered the same can be counted on one hand (the only one that immediately springs to mind is lifting the curse off of Jaheira). It's clever. A pity that Dorn is still a poor man's Sarevok. And Hexxat really should have been neutral alignment. Alignment restrictions suck.

Yeah, I think the new content actually holds it own pretty well compared to the original SoA and ToB content. Are the new NPCs masterpieces of video game writing? No, but neither were the old NPCs for the most part. Also as you say those quests actually have some meaningful choices you can make. Choices that actually changed how things play out were almost completely absent in BG2 so it's nice to have a few more.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Are you sure? I went in there without a single +3 weapon and not a lot of damage-spells memorized, and killed him without too much trouble (did take a reload since I rested right on the tomb and he gibbed Aerie first time). I believe Korgan could hit him with a generic +2 Axe.

He definitely doesn't require +3 weapons. I went there pretty much straight after Chateau Irenicus, and the best weapon I had was Sword of Chaos. I think there's also a +2 dagger in the tomb itself if you ain't got anything else. Anyway I didn't have any problems with him.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

OK, so, uh is Dragomir disappearing a known bug? I left the tomb to get some better kit, came back, put the rod in the bucket, went to his chamber, no Dragomir...

Same happened to me after resting there. He was still around though just not in his chamber anymore. Try looking around for me he was actually near the tomb you climb into.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I always assumed it was Melissan.

She doesn't show up till ToB though. I've always thought it is Ellesime and Irenicus(from when he was still a proper elf).

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

So who knows what's happening now. They still seem to be patching, which is good (making Hexxat a vampire in the engine mechanics was clever in theory but seems to have borked some things, natch). Literally everyone else would hate it on principle but I think a DLC model in the short term would be cool, maybe throw together another Watcher's Keep-esque dungeon, or even a CNPC, why not. It's not like ToB could get any less balanced.

There's almost certainly DLC content coming. They've mentioned wanting to do some after BG2EE is out, and unless these things sold really poorly that's most likely still the plan. Also they still need to finish the Linux, iPad(BG2EE), and Android versions.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

Goddamn this game is so huge. Every time I think my quest log is starting to empty out a little, I run into 20 more. I'm normally a massively anti-sidequest kinda guy...even Skyrim I just did the main quest then thieves/assassins guild stuff and was done. Something about BG2 though, I can't stop. I feel like I'm going to be really really sad once I finally finish everything and my first playthrough is over :unsmith:

Dark Souls is the only other game since Morrowind that I enjoyed this drat much

I'm so envious of you!

Also about the dnd edition chat; as someone who's only connection to the dnd rules are crpgs I find the 3-3.5 edition rules way easier to understand. Also I enjoy the feats, and skills system as it makes the character development lot more interesting. For me really enhanced edition of BG2 would use v3.5 rules.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Who would go well with this party for maximum banter? So far I got Keldorn and Anomen whom I have never had in the party for long, Jan because his just awesome and talks a lot, Neera for some EE flavour, and PC blade but I could change that if needed.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Stumiester posted:

In BG2:EE, I can't enter the door in Neera's quest, in Waukeen's Promenade where the Red Wizards are without the game crashing. Any ideas?

No idea. You should try posting your save on the official forums. They are pretty good at trying to help people having problems.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Devorum posted:

I've discovered that not only is Mazzy, who I have never used over at least 6-7 playthroughs in the last decade, a Great Character, but that a party with her, Keldorn, Jaheira, Jan, and Neera has amazing banter. I've since traded Jan for Imoen, and I'm really missing his banter. But...I didn't want to have him stranded in the Asylum. I might pick him back up when I get back to the surface...I know Imoen is my sister and all, but she is really very bland.

Imoen was originally supposed to die in Spellhold so she has literally zero banters in SoA. Also Mazzy trivia; she's voiced by Jennifer Hale!

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

steakmancer posted:

How long is a turn?

Turn is one minute. Round is 6 seconds.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
That Aerie starting level is definitely a bug. In vanilla BG2 I think she can actually start with even as low as 6/6 mage/cleric. With you having 250k xp already she would probably spawn as higher lvl, but not with 1.2million xp.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Is there a list of all the rewards/bonuses from quests anywhere? I know Dorn quest gives best BG1 bard armor.

I don't remember Neera's quest in BGEE giving anything that special, but in the Dark Moon temple you can find a "cursed" belt that increases str to 19, but lowers int to 6. Can't say that's a huge problem for melee character in BG1 where there ain't even any mindflayers.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Furism posted:

Really? I could swear my bard can't cast in IWD unless he has no armor at all. What did I do wrong?

There's elven chainmail armor that allows your bard to wear armor and still cast spells. Thanks to the somewhat randomized loot system in IWD though it's possible to never see it on your playthrough.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Haha jesus. The inter-party banter between old party members and new EE party members is just terrible in EE1 at least. The voice for everyone who interacts with Dorn just feels horribly wrong, forced, out of character, or some mixture of the three.

Do they get any better about that in BG2EE?

I haven't really bothered playing much BG2EE yet, but I've seen a few banters and they seem to range from decent to really bad. Some of them just seem really out of character like eg. I saw one where Viconia was just straight out trolling Dorn praising the power of love or something, then ending it with "haha got you!".

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Cythereal posted:

On the one hand, Viconia trolling other characters is in character for her. On the other hand, with their special quests and items that pile up in BG2EE it's easy to mistake the EE-specific NPCs as average-to-bad mod NPCs.

I don't think you can really fault them for the special quests thing. It's pretty clear that Beamdog had very strict restrictions on how much(pretty much not at all) they could alter the original content, and it seems like the only way they could find to add new areas was to tie them to the new NPCs. So if you want to play the game and ignore everything Beamdog added it's very easy to do it.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Was BG2:EE patched yet this year? Have they fixed the ToB quest arcs for the new characters?

Nope. They seem to completely focused on the Android version at the moment so I wouldn't expect a new patch before that is out.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Draile posted:

This is insane. How did Beamdog miss a game-breaking bug--you can't leave the tent until the quest is over--that happens across an entire platform on the very first quest in the game?

You should have tried the PC version. The very first quest in the game was broken for most of the 2013. Also the quest in question actually got broken by a patch in the first place.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Beamdog is doing a small beta test for the next BGEE patch, if anyone here feels like helping out. You need to have bought the game directly from them to access the beta though.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

epitasis posted:

Anything interesting in that patch? Looks like the changelogs are just their most recent builds so hard to go through and see everything.

There are some nice features in the patch. Eg. when browsing spells in stores if you have your mage selected, the spells she already knows are highlighted in green. The same also works for scrolls already in your inventory. May not sound like much, but it's actually really helpful.

The thing you will almost immediately notice though is this:

Those ability/spell icons appear for 0.5 seconds when order your dudes to do something. They are incredibly small though, and unless you zoomed in like in that screenshot it's very hard to actually see what icon it is.

Also this is mainly for the touch devices, but it can also used in the PC version:

In addition there few other small useability improvements, buff that brings shadowdancers to same lvl they are in BG2EE, and fixes to mainly rather obscure BGEE bugs.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Samopsa posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Android version release, as they've been doing beta's for a while now.

It's most likely either that, or officially revealing the DLC they've been working on.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm with you; they've been "working on a megapatch" for ages. I finished BG1EE just before that final patch came out (would have fixed a few broken quests) and I didn't start playing BGIIEE when I got it around Christmas because I was waiting for a patch. Here it is, mid bloody April, and no patch. Inexcusable.

Now that they've released Android BGEE, hopefully BG2EE patch is next on their to-do list. I've got access to BG2EE beta, and know for a fact that many of the issues have actually been fixed months ago, but for whatever reason they haven't bothered releasing a public patch since November.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Comstar posted:

Finished BG1:EE after 50 hours of gameplay. I very much liked both Dorn and the Wild Mage characters. but now I'm trying to decide who to take in BG 2:EE.

Right now I'm thinking:

CHARBAME Fighter/Mage/Thief
Dorn
Mazzy or Haer'Dalis (later on, Sarevok?)
Viconia
Jaheira or Aerie (later on, Imoen?)
Neera

Will any of these characters try and kill each other or leave?

I know having Anomen would be better vs mages, but I think Haer'Dalis can do dispel magic's too? Does he get enough levels to be good enough at it? And although it won't help in combat much, who has the most amusing inter-party dialogue? Do Sarevok and Imoen talk much outside when you meet/rescue them? Do Dorn and Neera interact much with the other characters?

Anomen doesn't go well with Viconia, and might even try to fight her so that's another reason to take Haer'Dalis instead. As for dialogue I've always liked both Viconia and Jaheira. Aerie is really boring though in my opinion, and Imoen simply doesn't have any intra-party dialogue in SoA.

Neera, Dorn and Rasaad do interact with the other party members in BG2, but I found some of the new banters to be really cheesy. Though that might just because I'm so familiar with BG2 that the new characters have really stuck out for me. Since you already have the EE version though you really should bring them with you because their quests are the only way to access the new areas.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Chapter two and level 10, I'm doing a bunch of sidequests first.

Sounds like you've just started BG2 then. I'd just keep playing on core for now, there are definitely harder fights ahead.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The chance of getting attacked by something when resting is pretty small.

Depends on where you try to rest. There are areas where the chance of having your rest interrupted is very high.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

So after getting Jan's quest and telling him to go home, he doesn't appear to be anywhere in his house like he said he would be. Am I missing something or is it a bug? If so, it doesn't appear he's going to come back and I'm out of thieves I haven't hired yet (so they're all going to be way behind in levels). And I imagine his equipment is gone. Sigh.

If you didn't outright tell him to shove off he should appear at his house eventually, but not immediately. You can try advancing the time with Ctrl+T, if he still doesn't show up after 12 or so days it's a bug.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

kujeger posted:

I think Project Image can no longer cast spells in EE (can someone with access to game right now verify?)

It can. Beamdog themselfs have said that they aren't even allowed to rebalance stuff, unless that balancing happens because through fixing a bug.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I had some free time today, so I put together an Icewind Dale 2 Fixpack. Downloadable here. I think that's like the fifth IWD2 mod in existence

Big thanks for making this.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I forgot how good warchant of the sith is in IWD. I wish that ability was in bg, I almost always bring a bard in my IWD/IWD2 runs because I love that song so much.

It's also cool how Druids get more spell options, especially at lower levels. The BG spell list for Druids is absolute poo poo for level 2 spells, but in IWD it's at least got a decent spell or two.

You should check this mod. It adds druid spells, bard songs, etc. from IWD in to BG1/2.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

I was debating grabbing them if they went on sale, but you guys aren't exactly giving glowing recommendations. Are the three new companions worth ditching the relative stability of just playing BGT with a widescreen mod? Is there anything substantial added otherwise? I ask because I just started BG1 again and before I get too far in wonder if I should just make the leap to BGEE.

BG2EE has fair amount of bugs as other's have said, but there should be at least one more patch coming for it. BGEE is pretty solid at this point, and BGEE 1.3 should be released any week now. The thing is though for me it would be pretty hard to go back to playing the vanilla games. There are enough useability and engine improvements that even modded BG1+2 just feels really clunky to me now.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Levantine posted:

I'm glad I waited so long to pick up BG2:EE if it was so buggy before. I've only experienced one bug with Neera but exiting the game and reloading fixed it. It's been so long since I've done a proper run of BG2 I had forgotten how incredibly massive the game is. The new content just adds to it. Imoen can wait! I gotta herd cats and find hairbands!

You know they haven't actually patched it after the release, except for one hotfix patch which was mainly done to fix a massive memory leak that would basically reset your progress. It's still extremely buggy, especially in the EE content and ToB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Unctuous Cretin posted:

One of the later BG1 chapters' intro summarizes the events of the game as taking place over the course of several weeks. BG2's intro explains your party was kidnapped almost immediately after the ending of 1.

Speaking of that Beamdog has very strongle hinted that other than patches, and Android BG2, they are working on a DLC set in the time perioid between the two games.