Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Suspicious posted:

Charisma-only options with no wise alternatives are pretty rare. So rare that I can't think of a meaningful one.
You need a Charisma of 15 I think to get to meet the Silent King without being forced to murder all of his followers. The Friends spell helps.

cheesetriangles posted:

Using wisdom as a dump stat is all and good until you get Mazed. I could beat that vampire bitch if I was only not so dumb.
I'm pretty sure it's Intelligence that affects how long you are Mazed for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

The Icewind Dales were the best games made with the IE engine and I still play through both of them consecutively with my friends every now and then, just some beautifully designed dungeon crawlers, the only thing I can think of that's on par with them is The Temple of Elemental Evil, which, unfortunately, has no multiplayer, which is a travesty.
I'd say that the IWD games are the best-looking IE games. Plus, I think their heavier emphasis in fights and more interesting combat makes them more suited for replays, since you already know the story after the first playthrough.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

I've got another bug: Rasaad just called me a woman. I am male.
Maybe you could equip the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity and roll with it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

razorrozar posted:

Srs question: will Shar-Teel's scripting break if she talks to a character with the Belt equipped?
I tried one game with the PC wearing the belt to see what would happen. A male PC will be treated by NPCs as a female if he/she has the belt equipped. So if you have a PC with the belt on and no male NPCs in the party, Shar-Teel will just treat the group as if they're all women and won't issue her challenge. Also a PC with the belt on will cause Durlyle (the male NPC) instead of Delainy (the female one) to spawn on the werewolf island.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Vigilance posted:

Which makes the Improved Abazigal fight super annoying since for some reason they decided to give him imprison. I've had so many times in that fight where I'm close to winning and he's imprisoned my pc, and it's pretty annoying because that fight is very difficult so having to reload when you basically just about won is a tough break.
It's been a while since I fought that battle. Would Spell Immunity: Abjuration help in that fight, or do the enemies throw too many dispels for it to be of use?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Yeah that's correct. Also for BG2 SoA, SCS2 improved fights usually come in two variants, either a total conversion from the Tactics mod, or just its own hybrid implementations. The Tactics ones are usually the ones people call bullshit, but they can be interesting in their own right.
My experience with Tactics was installing it, meeting with Improved Ilyich and watching as his cleric summoned a Fallen Deva to face off against my level 8 party. The advice for dealing with that was that you had to disrupt the cleric's spellcasting if you want to stand a chance of winning. I uninstalled Tactics after that.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

LibbyM posted:

But then I'm assuming I'll also want strength as a werewolf focused druid, so I'm staring at my roll of 88 and not sure where to put my points.
In your polymorphed form your physical stats are set at a certain value regardless of your base stats. As a result, if you plan to spend most of your time in werewolf form your physical stats don't matter that much. Even your hit points change to match the werewolf form's constitution. You might as well therefore max out Wisdom and Charisma and have a decent Intelligence to deal with Mind Flayers.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

I caved and bought BG2EE through Steam after hearing that they patched the more serious issues. I can't seem to find where in the game the version number is listed though? I just want to make sure it's the right one but can't seem to find it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Zilkin posted:

I haven't seen it anywhere either, if you really want make sure you got right version go to the BG2EE Steam folder. There is a file there called build-date.txt, it should read: "Thu Nov 21 14:54:23 MST 2013"
Thanks for the tip.

Baron Bifford posted:

In Brynnlaw I paid a smuggler 200 gold to ship two people off the island. Why did I have to pay the Shadow Thieves 15,000 to get here?
Should have gone to him from the beginning. Caveat emptor.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

The smart thing is to side with Bodhi because you'll then get to destroy both guilds later in the game.
I think I had read somewhere that it's possible to attack the Shadow Thieves in Chapter 6 even if you had sided with them. Though I never tried that since I didn't feel like betraying them.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tithin Melias posted:

I'm not sure I believe that. Why would it matter if you turn on Aran post underdark? his part in the play is done.

Asides from that, an invincible assassin seems a bit hamfisted, even by bioware beamdog.
BG1 did the same if both Grand Dukes died or you went on a killing spree in Candlekeep. Probably better to end the game immediately if the player renders it unwinnable rather than to allow him to keep going and have to hunt down for old saves, assuming they even exist. Though by chapter 6 Aran should be killable and it's an oversight if he isn't.

I was able to kill that assassin (Arkanis Gath is normally unkillable and can one-shot any character he attacks) by having a mage use limited wish to cast Shapechange, then cast Improved Haste on the himself followed by limited wish to stop time and then turn into an illithid. He was then able to quickly Int-drain him which killed him, since Int-drain bypasses normal invulnerability. Only lost two party members before my time stop kicked in.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

caleramaen posted:

It an option that you have for roleplaying reasons. It's never going to be the best option, but hey, if that's what floats your boat knock yourself out.
After all, the vanilla game doesn't require the optimization to beat. You can easily beat the game with a suboptimal character, so if someone thinks it will be cool if his PC can turn into a big monster, why not have it as an option.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The unkillable assassin was always in BG2 even after the Shadow Thieves quest probably because TSR isn't really down with game developers loving around with aspects of the setting that they didn't create themselves. See also: Drizz't never truly dying no matter what. They don't take his gear from you out of sentiment.
To be honest I'm betting it's just a designer oversight. Aran Linvail was an original NPC for the video game and even if the PC went on a killing spree at the Shadow Thief headquarters, one would expect the guild to continue to exist. Hell, you get to kill them all if you side with Bodhi anyway so doing so isn't taboo.

As for Drizzt, I think it makes sense he stays alive. All you need to come back from the dead is an ally willing to pony up a bit of cash at a nearby temple and Drizzt has plenty of friends. The PC does it for his companions all the time.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Anyone got a neat dual wield combination for a Fighter/Thief? I want to still backstab, but I am not going to do Staff of Striking/Staff of Ram on principle. I was thinking dual wielding daggers, but I cannot remember if there was a dagger that gives the +1 APR in BG2 (I think it's actually a wazikasi or something, so scimitar prof?), so maybe just dagger/scimitar or dagger/shortsword.
The Scarlet Ninja-To +3 (sold by Joluv in the Copper Coronet in BG2EE) gives you an extra attack per round. IIRC it's only usable by LN, TN, LE, NE-aligned characters though. It requires a scimitar proficiency to use.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if someone dual wielded that and Belm. Would you get 2 extra attacks?

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 22, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rookersh posted:

I always thought there was a better path then Shadow Thieves for good characters?
The Shadow Thieves keep to their deal and never betray you. They can even help you later on in the game if you're a Thief. If you side with Bodhi some good characters, e.g. Keldorn, permanently leave the party in disgust. As others have said they're certainly the lesser evil.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

If you get the thief stronghold (being an outpost for the Shadow Thieves) you have options of making money off theft, slavery and assassination, so I don't know exactly why they are considered "less evil."
You are effectively surrendering the city to a horde of unholy monsters that need to feed on humans just to survive. The Shadow Thieves are criminals, but at least they aren't evil by nature. And they aren't as much a threat as vampires to normal humans.

As for the "you turn on the vampires" argument, that requires metagame knowledge and only really comes about when Bodhi betrays you. And one could argue that since the PC quickly moves on out of Amn after killing Bodhi, any surviving vampires might be able to regain their rule over the underworld with the Shadow Thieves destroyed.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I don't have a huge issue with it, and it does fit the whole DnD "Some creatures are just eeeevil" thing. I just don't see exactly how sucking blood is inherently more evil than being a murder or pimp. Don't get me wrong, Bodhi's loving evil, and the destroy them both thing I think works best as a nice surprise rather than playing with metagame knowledge. And I don't get why Keldorn is totally cool with working for the Shadow Thieves, but quits if you side with Bodhi, especially since all her tasks are loving up the Shadow Thieves, who are a bunch of murderers and slavers.
Vampires are ambulatory corpses that feed on the living. And in D&D, just as vampirism give a person fangs, it also twists his mindset into that of a bloodthirsty monster. As a result, I think that they are a much greater threat and have the potential to cause more harm, since they're both vastly harder to permanently destroy and can kill a normal person with just a touch.

As for Keldorn, he outright says that he's barely holding back from attacking them and only does so because of Imoen. He also says that he wants to come back to the Shadow Thief HQ with a bunch of paladins after Imoen is rescued and clear house.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 23, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

That makes a little more sense, it'd been a while since I played and my last time didn't use Keldorn. They should have fixed the bug where you can't kill Aran Linvall in Chapter 6 (maybe they did, I've never tried it, but I've seen people complain about it in this thread) in that case, since one of your party members suggests it. Hell that'd be a cool little minquest on your return.
I guess going back and killing them depends on the PC's morality. Aran did help the PC in good faith (even if it was serving his own interests), so going back and killing him after he had aided you could be seen as a betrayal.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Psh, the Shadow Thieves basically jerk you around on the Imoen situation from the start, extort you, and when you finally meet up with them in person are utter jerks. Bodhi may be a monster, but at that point in the game, she comes across as far more reasonable.
Aran seemed pretty reasonable to me. As he said, the PC was an unknown quantity to him; for all he knew he was a pawn of Irenicus, so he had to act cautiously and test his potential loyalty. Bodhi knows all there is to know about the PC straight from Irenicus and can thus be more direct. (And of course she's also the one who plans to send the PC to Irenicus to have his soul sucked out, unlike Aran.)

Skwirl posted:

I guess it works in a "Devil you know" sense, but still, a truly good person wouldn't work with either of them, and someone more morally flexible wouldn't see that much of a difference.
In the process of course the truly good person would be leaving Imoen to rot in Spellhold forever.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Their price is ridiculous (Why can't I shop around for passage? Athkatla is a major port!) and they make you jump through additional surprise hoops, but yeah, they don't screw you over.
To be fair, it is a pirate stronghold, so no sane captain would go near. The PC would be more likely to find someone who'd promise to take him there and then murder him in his sleep to rob him once on the ship.

When you clear out Bodhi's lair, you only get to stake a handful of the most important vampires. All the mooks just turn into mist and go off god knows where.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Thus it's defensible and justifiable to kill the former on sight/revelation, decreasing the net evil in the universe, but a good person will still only kill evil people in the prevention of harm or self-defense and show them mercy if it's reasonable to do so (giving that evil person the opportunity to change and better themselves).
Agreed. A good character should try to offer evil characters a chance to redeem themselves. Turning Detect Evil on in cities and going on a killing spree doesn't seem like a particularly good act.

I like the fact that there are some evil-aligned human NPCs wondering the streets in Athkatla, minding their own business. E.g. Quataris the art merchant in Wakeen's Promenade. The PC could start murdering them all on sight, but that would of course have rather bad consequences.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I don't have a problem with it as such, since there are probably a lot of conversations "off-camera". Besides, there are always significant actions involved in all these morality changes. The thing that sucks is that it is an one-way street. You can turn a host of evil characters good, but you can only turn one lawful neutral character chaotic neutral. Heaven forbid if you could actually turn somebody evil!
Anomen may be listed as CN but he does become pretty evil. He even tries to kill Aerie after she urges him to try to stick to his original moral code after being rejected as a knight. (Though in Anomen's defense, Aerie is pretty annoying.)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Also the new lines of dialogue are sometimes just... silly. Like they tried to throw in too many comic options instead of actual possible real responses. Just for this quest so far I'm noticing it. It seems a little bit out of place.
Yeah. If anything, the new content reminds me of Dragon Age 2, where you got to choose between the Serious, Joke and Evil responses.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Edit: I'll fully acknowledge that I consider the only worthwhile part about a Thief to be their HLAs. Backstab centric gameplay is just too slow and plodding even by Infinity Engine standards to be worth the time to seriously pursue. :effort:
I think backstabbing with a Shadowdancer works very well. Stab, immediately hide, stab again. Though it does admittedly take considerably more micromanaging than turning on the AI of a fighter and letting him chop up every enemy in sight. I certainly wouldn't want to backstab every kobold I come across. I'd only use that tactic on serious fights.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

gender illusionist posted:

At the mo I'm thinking maybe something cleric since it's the missing class, but does cleric/thief have any synergy? Please help save me from myself!
I'd say it depends on what kind of party are you thinking of using. How many characters and what type of classes. Your PC could be a Wizard Slayer with the minimum stats possible and still finish the game with no problems if you have a decent party.

Edit: I've never used a Cleric/Thief, but the game doesn't really need a dedicated Cleric or Thief, so I don't see why it couldn't work. Your character could be the party's utility character, healing, buffing and taking care of locks and traps. Plus, you could set traps. Also, I suspect that Sanctuary will work really well for sneaking around and disarming traps or opening doors, since enemies ignore you and it isn't dispelled by opening doors or containers like Invisibility.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 25, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Many of the BG1 CNPCs are in BG2, just not as joinables.
I thought it was rather funny how many of the joinable NPCs seem to have coincidentally ended up in the same area as the PC.

Cythereal posted:

I know. That's the point. IIRC, Imoen is also arguably raped, given the context of coercion.
Wouldn't that be following BG2? I thought it was implied fairly strongly that Irenicus did things to Imoen. The three dryads you meed call themselves his concubines and when Imoen talks to them there's the exchange: Imoen: "I used to dream... but he doesn't. Your charms don't work on him anymore, do they?" Dryad: "How do you know of this? He has touched you as we, hasn't he?". Also, there was the bit in ToB where if Imoen gives Sarevok a piece of her soul and then asks him what the effects were he says "Perhaps you would be interested to know that I can feel the knives of Irenicus, slicing into my skin, torturing me. I can feel his hands and his breath, I *know* what he did to you, girl...".

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

kingcom posted:

I mean it definitely can be interpreted like that but it easy to just say 'horrible torture' particularly the feeling part given she later describes Irenicus demonstrating that hes completely devoid of emotions (or at least positive ones) when hes mutilating Khalid's corpse (Stab, "See? Nothing!" I believe is the conversation). It's cause pain to try and point out hes dead inside without explain why. In general Irenicus is pretty hosed up but goddamn to I love David Warner.
Irenicus may have been emotionally dead, but he was using the dryads to try and recreate the passion he had had for Ellesime, who was the woman he had loved. He may have tortured them as well, but since they called themselves his concubines I doubt that was the only thing he did to the dryads. And the fact they said Irenicus touched rather than tortured Imoen the way he did them is pretty suggestive, considering what "touch" can be used as a euphemism for.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Cythereal posted:

In the book, Imoen is pressured into boinking a drow priestess.
I'm curious; how does that come about? Imoen takes one for the team so that the protagonist doesn't have to bang Phaere?

kingcom posted:

Sure but then you have the idea that the whole plot is about people stealing souls and abusing someones internal spirit is another use of it but regardless, everything is handled way, way better than the wifebeating fun times of the novels.
I've never read any of the novels, but based on what I've heard about them I have no doubt that the game is better.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I don't remember very clearly - I read the books back in middle school when I first played the BG series - but I think so, yes. IIRC, the moronic chucklefuck of a protagonist told Imoen that she boinked Phaere or the party's cover would be blown. Imoen decided she already preferred women anyway.
Interestingly, the Mission Pack Save included in ToSC with a party that could tackle the expansion pack's content included a character called Abdel who must have been the novel's protagonist. Hr was a Neutral Good Human Fighter and his stats were STR 18(90), DEX 19, CON 19, INT 7, WIS 6, CHA 18. With an Int of 7 and Wis of 6 I guess he really was a complete moron. Interesting that he was Good instead of Neutral.

Also, his companions were Edwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen instead of the canon party from the start of BG2.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Abdel is neutral at best. IIRC, he also boinks Bodhi.
Negative Plane Protection only lasts for 5 rounds, so he must have been pretty quick.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

It sounds like RA Salvatore could have done a better job. Think about that.
By D&D novel standards, RA Salvatore is a great author.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

I really enjoyed Path of Darkness if only because a major focus was on Artemis Entreri and he was legitimately more interesting than Drizzt at the time.
I had tried reading one of Ed Greenwood's novels about Elminster and it was absolutely terrible. The fact he was writing about his in-universe avatar probably had something to do with that fact I think.

fong posted:

Its just the shop keeper. That part is significantly more difficult than it would otherwise be because you cant use AoE spells. Also a bit buggy, I remember taking the "lets not kill everyone immediately" option, then being able to attack and kill the red wizards around the room first without the mercenaries also goong hostile.
Yeah. That dialog didn't work so well for me either. I was trapped in a loop where Neera kept objecting when I chose the non-violent option, but eventually she stopped doing that and I was able to spare the shopkeeper red wizard. I killed all the mercenaries that went hostile later on without suffering any reputation losses, so I agree it's probably only that guy that costs you reputation.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

verybad posted:

edit: hell, paladins can't even kill Firkraag the first time they go to Windspear without messing up their stronghold quest so you're almost better off focusing on a different weapon type early on.
I disagree. I think greatswords are a very good option even without Carsomyr. In BG1 you can find a +1 greatsword on a bandit close to Nashkel and later get Spider's Bane in Cloakwood and a +3 one in Durlag's Tower. In BG2 you get the Sword of Chaos in Irenicus' dungeon, Lilarcor in the Slums and can later can get the Silver Sword. And ToB has Gram the Sword of Grief. Greatswords are a very strong option even for non-Paladins.

And Carsomyr 50% Magic Resistance is really good and it also has has an additional 5 damage bonus to chaotic evil opponents and the fact you can dispel by just hitting things means you don't have to spend time casting instead of attacking. Not to mention the fact it's the only +5 weapon in SoA (other than the Sling of Everard) and only +6 weapon in ToB. Maybe other weapons can be situationally useful, e.g. the Psion's Blade against Illithids, but Carsomyr is a great default weapon.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Selane posted:

Huh? Off the top of my head, Staff of the Magi, Crom Faeyr, and the improved Mace of Disruption are all +5. Nothing really requires +5 anyway, and very few things require +4.
Staff of the Magi has a +1 bonus (but is treated as +5 for damage immunity) and the improved Mace of Disruption is +2. I had misremembered regarding Crom Faeyr and thought it stayed a +3 weapon.

TINA TURNER posted:

What? There's the Satan Halberd, Ixil's Nail, and the Anti-Dragon Halberd. +6 weapons are rare, but that's because they're pretty bad when compared to two-weapon fighting :v:
Dragon's Bane is +3 against everything but dragons. But yes, improved Ravager, Ixil's Spike (and improved Staff of the Ram) are also +6 weapons.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

TINA TURNER posted:

Doesn't it stil lcount as +6 for overcoming immunities?
My mistake. Dragon's Bane is +6 damage vs. dragons; its to hit bonus stays +3 regardless of what it's hitting.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Selane posted:

A weapon can have different damage bonuses for different enemies, but only one enchantment level. Dragon's Bane is enchanted +3, Crom Faeyr, Staff of the Magi, and Mace of Disruption +2 are +5, and Ixil's Spike and The Ravager are +6. So is the Staff of the Ram, actually. Hit, damage, and enchantment don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.
Are you thinking of Dragon's Breath? That haldberd is +4. And where are you getting that the +2 Mace of Disruption strikes as a +5 weapon for damage immunity? It doesn't say that in its description.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

How do you backstab in Baldur's Gate? I tried the obvious thing of hiding in shadows, but as soon as you select an enemy to attack, the character leaves the shadows.
You need to walk up right behind an enemy's back, then attack. Enemies without a back, such as oozes, cannot be backstabbed.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

uwu culture posted:

Actually oozes can be backstabbed :v:
Really? I could swear I tried to do so in BG1EE but failed to get it to work. Maybe I wasn't stabbing their "backs".

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

I remember my first Ironman attempt. I made a mage and he got one-shotted by a crit from one of the two assassins in Candlekeep. In my best Ironman game, I finished all the main game but the final battle, then went to do ToSC. On the werewolf island I wasn't paying attention and forgot that the sirine queen summons more sirens. They managed to charm about half the party, which got me killed. One moment of inattention can have pretty unpleasant consequences.

Illegal Username posted:

There's some charm to his Worst Undercover Investigator in Faerun thing.
At least he did manage to convince his own side that he was a traitor, even if he did fail to convince the group he was trying to infiltrate. :)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Illegal Username posted:

Rasaad's quest had a pretty fun twist. Jump through the hoops, it's worth it.
Was it the fact that he ends up the head of that heretical order? At least that's what happened in my game. Though I think I managed to convince him to convert the order to the teachings of Selune instead of remaining heretical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Not that mage battles right now are all that hard, honestly. My PC's a F/M who memorizes nothing except self buffs, breach type stuff, and a couple area disables.
What armor are you using for your PC by the way? For my solo FMC PC, I've currently managed to get an AC of -8 with a 19 Dex, the Robe of Vecna, Bracers of Armor 3, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Protection +2 Cloak of the Sewers and Defender of Easthaven. Swapping the robe, bracers and ring of protection for the Red Dragon Scale gives a better AC and frees up 2 equipment slots, but it also means one can't cast arcane spells.

MrTheDevious posted:

Keldorn just obliterated Viconia out of nowhere 30 minutes into a dungeon that doesn't allow you to leave or save the game :suicide:
Time to recruit Anomen. Look at the bright side; you can have Anomen use Turn Undead without turning Keldorn. Not to mention I think it's easier to have a turn ability that gibs undead instead of controlling them since you don't have to kill them manually (and if a controlled undead dies to a monster you get no XP so using them as minions costs XP.)