Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Well, I always wanted to try ACE and I'm tired of waiting for an Arma3 version. I have a few questions though.

At roughly what time do sessions start and end?

Exactly which configuration of Arma2 do I need to install and run to actually play? I own the Arma2 base game plus Operation Arrowhead.

e: I just realized that the wiki answers the second question. Silly me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Snuffy the Evil posted:

The start times are noted in the OP, and the Steam group will send out an announcement when a session starts. They'll usually go for a few hours- the exact time depends on how well we can choose fun missions. I think our record is something like 13 hours. I don't think anyone sat through the whole session (that would be madness), but we did have people playing the whole time.

Well, if the times in the OP are the right ones (1PM CST Wednesdays, 3PM CST Saturdays), then I probably will be able to play, except maybe this Wednesday. I'm on Eastern Standard Time.

In the meantime, are there any singleplayer missions I can download to familiarize myself with the mods?

e: These are different times than what Cooked Auto mentioned, and the wiki also mentions different times (though that might be because of Daylight Saving Time?). I'm bad with timezones. :psyduck:

e2:

Cooked Auto posted:

Check with the timekeeper for more exact info.

Who's the timekeeper?

Elth fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 2, 2013

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

When do people usually start showing up in Teamspeak before the event?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I think the highlight of the night for me was the Hostage Crisis mission. High-fives and ice cream for everyone! (except BLUFOR)

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Sloane posted:

I'll extend that offer to anyone else who is concerned about their Arma ability and wants to improve on something.

I'd definitely be up for that. If it's possible I'd also ask for some pointers on mission creation, specifically concerning making them work with the mods we use. In the meantime, are there any good guides beside the one in the official wiki? Preferably tutorials that aren't 30+ minute-long, unedited, droning videos.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

A few highlights from tonight's session (that I actually remembered to screenshot).

Snuffy leads from the front.

:unsmigghh:

Croguy telling a spooky story over the maglite fire while we wait for the blowout to pass.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Here's a short video of the El Presidente mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2QLFtkxfG4

EDIT: And here's another video, featuring Cooked Auto being abandoned by his teammates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7XhDYdo_Jc

Elth fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 15, 2013

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Don't fret. Nothing happens on Wednesdays anyway. :v:

Boy you were right! We played like 3 hours of roadblock and the last 2 hours were spent standing around waiting for stuff to happen.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Well I'm sure we'd have a bit more interesting time if Roadblock hadn't decided to once more be boring as all hell and then decide that it didn't even want to spawn in new cars after a while. :v:
So after a while it just ended up with us using MCC to make it interesting.

By "interesting" he means "airdrop tons of mines and then spawn dozens of mechanized infantry"

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I've never really been much on the Armaholics forums but do you think you'd be able to get an experienced mission maker to look at it? Or maybe ask in the main Arma 3 thread. I've never seen the full Roadblock experience and now I really want to. :v:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

You'd think professional soldiers would be trained on how to stick a syrette into someone who needs it to live.

Or maybe it's another ~*TEAMWORK*~-oriented feature.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Well it wouldn't be ACE Goons without horrible meat men and patriotic facepaint.

If you guys do make the switch to Arma 3 then I might give this a try again sometime.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Ok yeah there's no way I'm missing this if the jump to A3 happens.

Also I need to find that video of someone shittalking a tank before bowling Cooked Auto over with backblast.

Elth fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 27, 2014

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

VanOwen posted:

Oh god I am going to have to wiki poo poo again....

Your tireless work will be appreciated, then promptly forgotten about while pumping bleeding victims full of epi and giving them CPR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Firing from vehicles? Man, I need to bookmark the Arma 3 thread again.

Sorry for being a no-show, been distracted with lots of stuff lately.

• Locked thread