Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dead Rising
System: XBOX 360
Release Date: August 8th, 2006

Dead Rising burst onto the scene as an XBOX 360 exclusive nearly 8 years ago in 2006 by Capcom. The game centered around photojournalist Frank West as he investigated the Willamette Mall incident with zombies. Dead Rising was an ambitious sandbox action adventure game that sported RPG elements, multiple endings, plenty of interactable costumes and weapons, and a dash of humor as well. The story mode hinged on a system defined by a time limit to accomplish as many objectives as you could before the military arrived. By all accounts, the game was a success.

Dead Rising 2
System: PS3/360/PC
Release Date: September 24th, 2010

It wouldn't be until 2010 that the game would receive a sequel in Dead Rising 2 on the 360, PS3, and PC. This time, developed by a studio outside of Capcom, the game starred Chuck Greene as the protagonist. The game dropped the photography portion of the gameplay in favor of a new combo system. Weapons became more lethal and useful as you could combine everyday items into machines of destruction. Dead Rising 2 kept a similar framework from the first game, keeping the player set to a strict time limit in order to complete the game's objectives, yielding multiple endings. In addition, CO-OP and competitive multiplayer modes were added. The sequel was well received, and in some respects, thought to be superior than the original.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record
System: PS3/360/PC
Release Date: October 11th, 2011

Only a year later, Capcom would bring Dead Rising 2 back with an alternate storyline starring Frank West complete with new enemies, areas, weapons, and a return of the photography system. Also new to the game was a game mode without a timer called Sandbox Mode. Players could maim zombies and roam Fortune City as much as they wanted. The game did drop the competitive multiplayer as a result of Sandbox Mode being added, but nobody missed it all that much. Off the Record was yet again well received, although some were disappointed in the incremental changes.

Dead Rising 3
System: XBONE
Release Date: November 22nd, 2013

With the emergence of next-gen hardware comes the most recent installment of Dead Rising. Dead Rising 3 stars new protagonist Nick Ramos as he tries to escape Los Perdidos. The game sheds the time limit this go round, letting you have free roam and ample time to tackle the game's objectives. However, the time limit still exists in a special mode called, "Nightmare Mode." The combo weapon system returns from Dead Rising 2 and Off The Record. However, you can combine weapons anywhere this time, no longer needing workbenches. Also added to the game is the ability to combine vehicles together to create 'combo vehicles.' Dead Rising 3 also boasts Kinect features, such as yelling at zombies to distact them, while also potentially penalizing the player by throwing a horde at them if they make TOO much noise. The reviews have been mixed due to the more serious tone of the story throwing the comedic elements out of whack, while the gameplay systems enjoyed in the past still seem to shine.

Why should I play it?
Basically you get to kill large swaths of zombies while dressing up like Mega Man and wielding ridiculous weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

I wasn't even aware until right now there was going to be a Dead Rising 3, that is loving sweet. I assume it is Xbone exclusive though? I will probably get to play it when the next console generation comes out at least. The first game was one of my favorite games ever, the way you keep your stats after death had me playing like crazy, because I die a lot in most third person games and not having to revert to my original status really kept me going.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sid Vicious posted:

I wasn't even aware until right now there was going to be a Dead Rising 3, that is loving sweet. I assume it is Xbone exclusive though? I will probably get to play it when the next console generation comes out at least. The first game was one of my favorite games ever, the way you keep your stats after death had me playing like crazy, because I die a lot in most third person games and not having to revert to my original status really kept me going.

The reset feature was great. The first time I played Dead Rising 2, I just couldn't get past a boss fight, so I was able to just say "gently caress it" and spend the rest of the time getting survivors, exploring the city for weapon locations, and generally getting prepared for my next go-round. It never really felt grindy, either, because one loop wasn't that long. I do wish DR3 was coming to PC as well, I'm pretty dissapointed with its exclusivity agreement.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's all a bit of regret that DR3 is an Xbone exclusive. There was talk that it was originally slated for PS3/360, but Capcom wanted to cancel it midway through development until Microsoft picked up the tab to make it an Xbone exclusive.

But DR is still one of the bright spots of the 360/PS3 generation, and some of my favorite games. So you can post about how you feel about any of them, or if you're looking for CO-OP partners, or just to gush how awesome Dead Rising is.

I just made it to capture DR3 talk as I'm not likely to be buying an Xbone but want to hear about people's experiences with it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I won't have time to get in to DR3 until tonight, but it does make me a bit sad to see the time management almost eliminated.

I went through DR1 including Overtime eventually, and it was really interesting how so many of the sidequests are entirely skippable. If you aren't at the right place at the right time you won't see all the psychopaths, so many people don't have to be rescued either, and the main mission clock is always going no matter what. It felt like a huge mall of discovery.

DR2 had substantially lighter timing requirements and it feels like there were fewer sidequests, to the point where it was easy to find a route that would save everyone or almost everyone with way more than enough time to spare.

Now some of the reports are that in DR3 it's basically impossible to fail the time management game, and there's way more than enough time to do all the sidequests.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

parasyte posted:

Now some of the reports are that in DR3 it's basically impossible to fail the time management game, and there's way more than enough time to do all the sidequests.

That's dissapointing. I liked having time pressure and having to make desicions as to which quests to run or people to save, since I never really got to the point where it was trivial. Off the Record did it really well, since it also had a sandbox mode for when you want to just chill out and splat zombies.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The main story mode doesn't have a timer iirc, but Nightmare Mode does. I don't know how good that mode is though.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's dissapointing. I liked having time pressure and having to make desicions as to which quests to run or people to save, since I never really got to the point where it was trivial. Off the Record did it really well, since it also had a sandbox mode for when you want to just chill out and splat zombies.

Play Nightmare Mode. It's "True Dead Rising" mode. Time restrictions, save restrictions, higher damage, an actual sense of danger.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I didn't try to play Dead Rising nearly hard enough. I got it way after launch and got confused about the time limits and the fact you're supposed to die and restart the game. I'm an old man :( it seemed fun though.

I'm really amped up for this one for some reason. Probably because I have the motivation to play it and didn't grab it for $20. Dickbag UPS never gets to my house before 6pm though :(

What's y'alls impression so far?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Harlock posted:

The main story mode doesn't have a timer iirc, but Nightmare Mode does. I don't know how good that mode is though.

Wow thats disappointing, the time limit was the main adversary for Dead Rising.

The other crappy thing I heard about DR3 is that the jokes are less of the silly psychos and more T and A, which was easily the low point in DR2.

I don't understand how you have a japanese game series that only had more fanservice when it was handed off to nonjapanese people.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Harlock posted:

The main story mode does have a timer. It's just counts down VERY slowly. Nightmare mode is just harder. If you have trouble with it, just grind up your dude in Story.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I played the sandbox demo of the original Dead Rising and was sold. Then I bought the game and realized "the demo lied to me, and everyone who said this game was good lied to me." Unlike the demo, I was NOT free to just run around and do crazy stuff. I was on an in-game time limit to accomplish tasks, and if I didn't do what it said in time it was game over. If I did do what it said, the resulting fights would wipe me out, and then it'd be back to square one because the save points were so few and far between. If I tried to wander around, I'd be killed by a pickup truck outfitted with a machinegun. If I ground and ground and ground levels through the process of dying and restarting, eventually I could get something to kill those jerks...only to see that they'd respawn once I re-entered the zone. And then on top of all that, I kept getting radio'ed to do optional sidequests I couldn't ignore, because if I did they'd just call back. "gently caress this." I put the game down and moved on.

Then about a year later, something possessed me to give it another shot. And that's when I figured out the magical secret to making Dead Rising not thoroughly unenjoyable, the thing which they actually EXPECT you to do but absolutely nothing in the game suggests: ignore the quests from the very beginning. The main quests are designed such that you actually CAN'T succeed in them until you're fairly high level, and if you let the timer run down from the get-go, you don't actually get a "you lose, start over" screen. You get a "you lose, start over...or keep playing even though the story's gone cold" option. THEN you can go screw around! THEN you can make it to these save points that are still too few for my liking. And you can still beat the game and get a good ending. Hell, they're probably better endings than the actual toughest ending to get.

So I did eventually enjoy the hell out of Dead Rising. I just had to try to do what the game was instructing me to do enough times to the point where I lost my patience and tried to NOT do what the game was instructing...only to find out that they wanted me to ignore everything about the game from the start. They actually wanted me to ignore those quests and rescuing those survivors. A lot of people I know didn't have the patience to give the game that much of a chance, especially not with so many other games to play. In fact, they still don't believe me such that the words "Dead Rising" to them conjures up nothing but bitter memories of a bullshit save system and having to repeat the same opening few minutes over and over.

Years later, I bought Dead Rising 2 as well as Off the Record, but I've yet to start either. The original trailer for Dead Rising 3 turned me off, but the subsequent media made it look better. Once I saw a review deduct points from it for having "a flaming penis gun" that was when I KNEW Dead Rising 3 would be right up my alley. Not a "I'll spend $600 to play this" level of up my alley, so much as a "drat it Microsoft, why can't you release this for Windows PCs too?!" level.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 23, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Daryl Surat posted:

I played the sandbox demo of the original Dead Rising and was sold. Then I bought the game and realized "the demo lied to me, and everyone who said this game was good lied to me." Unlike the demo, I was NOT free to just run around and do crazy stuff. I was on an in-game time limit to accomplish tasks, and if I didn't do what it said in time it was game over. If I did do what it said, the resulting fights would wipe me out, and then it'd be back to square one because the save points were so few and far between. If I tried to wander around, I'd be killed by a pickup truck outfitted with a machinegun. If I ground and ground and ground levels through the process of dying and restarting, eventually I could get something to kill those jerks...only to see that they'd respawn once I re-entered the zone. And then on top of all that, I kept getting radio'ed to do optional sidequests I couldn't ignore, because if I did they'd just call back. "gently caress this." I put the game down and moved on.

Then about a year later, something possessed me to give it another shot. And that's when I figured out the magical secret to making Dead Rising not thoroughly unenjoyable, the thing which they actually EXPECT you to do but absolutely nothing in the game suggests: ignore the quests from the very beginning. The main quests are designed such that you actually CAN'T succeed in them until you're fairly high level, and if you let the timer run down from the get-go, you don't actually get a "you lose, start over" screen. You get a "you lose, start over...or keep playing even though the story's gone cold" option. THEN you can go screw around! THEN you can make it to these save points that are still too few for my liking. And you can still beat the game and get a good ending. Hell, they're probably better endings than the actual toughest ending to get.

So I did eventually enjoy the hell out of Dead Rising. I just had to try to do what the game was instructing me to do enough times to the point where I lost my patience and tried to NOT do what the game was instructing...only to find out that they wanted me to ignore everything about the game from the start. They actually wanted me to ignore those quests and rescuing those survivors. A lot of people I know didn't have the patience to give the game that much of a chance, especially not with so many other games to play. In fact, they still don't believe me such that the words "Dead Rising" to them conjures up nothing but bitter memories of a bullshit save system and having to repeat the same opening few minutes over and over.

Years later, I bought Dead Rising 2 as well as Off the Record, but I've yet to start either. The original trailer for Dead Rising 3 turned me off, but the subsequent media made it look better. Once I saw a review deduct points from it for having "a flaming penis gun" that was when I KNEW Dead Rising 3 would be right up my alley. Not a "I'll spend $600 to play this" level of up my alley, so much as a "drat it Microsoft, why can't you release this for Windows PCs too?!" level.

Dead Rising 2 off the record fixes most of the problems with 1 and is one of my favorite games from the last several years. You can pretty much kill every psycho on the first playthrough if you know how to counter their attacks. There's maybe 2 survivors that are kind of bullshit in hard to avoid areas, but none are nearly as bad as the convicts. Save points are more numerous and it checkpoints you whenever you go through a door. Survivor AI is SO MUCH BETTER so you don't have them dying instantly to avoidable zombies or need to do that 5 minute dance to get them into the safehouse. Oh, and the game is loving shithouse insane at times in a hilarious way.

Skip vanilla DR2 and jump right into off the record. You won't be disappointed. I almost want to get an Xbone for DR3 because I liked OTR so much but some of the design choices seem questionable and it will probably come out on PC eventually anyway.

Oh, and if you want to make the game easy then get the Ninja suit. You can get all of the pieces really easy if you just fire up sandbox mode for the kills and abuse the chainsaw bike.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Yay! This series (and the new game) finally gets a thread. Good job!

I need to go and finish DR2 Off the Record since I can't get DR3 yet. Vanilla DR2 was one of my absolute favorite games last gen. I agree wtioh you guys that liked the enforced time limits. I thought it added its own unique sense of style and urgency that made it feel different that a run of the mill survival horror/action rpg.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Daryl Surat posted:

This is the true genius of the game design behind DR and why I love it so much. It takes a page from those Arcade games which are not intended to be beat but rather just to see how far you can get. But they also coupled that with rolling PP such that you essentially get an expanding game experience. At the beginning the game is unfair to you. Zombies are a big threat, there are psychos that are completely unfair, respawning assholes in a jeep, and a general pain to navigate everything with a too-small inventory to carry specific solutions to specific problems.

But as you gain levels and experience start changing the game for yourself. Suddenly the zombies are less threat and more obstacles and you start utilizing keys and shortcuts to make navigation easier and sidequests possible. Now bad story endings are possible and you can start to really rack up the PP earning survivors. After a few more attempts it's more about trying to do everything than trying to do anything.

Really, the genius of the design is let down by two choices they made: the game over screen and the bathrooms. The game over screen should default to continue playing and treat it more like a notification that the story is lost rather than a suggestion you should reload. And the bathroom saves should have been jettisoned entirely because it just taps into the ingrained understanding of gamers that the game is only built for you to win. If you fail, you reload and try again from the same point. This game is trying something different but they made it sound like you should do what you always do and people got miserable in the process. If it was an autosaving game and death and/or lost plot would just keep you rolling on, I think people would have gotten it immediately and really enjoyed the structure of the game. But those goddamn bathroom left people complaining about an inconvenient save system as though the game should have made saving more convenient. Instead saving should have been passive and permanent. Oh what could have been.

As a turbo fan of Dead Rising 1, I feel like I must mention that the game has both the best and the worst escort system available and it all comes down to which button you press.

If you press the Follow Me button, Y, to call the Survivors you will probably have a terrible time. My pet theory is that they waypoint to you personally but have to constantly recalculate their waypoint while you move so they become complete idiots and get hung up and generally make your life miserable. Never, ever, ever use Y to summon your survivors.

If you hold RT to bring up aim mode and then press Y to fling out a floating waypoint, your survivors are awesome. They go to the location with a purpose and move through the room like ambulance drivers. It's a completely different experience to use waypointing and is made all the better with the next suggestion:

You can arm your survivors. It's something people are aware of but don't really think about but it also transforms the game. When you put a weapon in a survivor's hand, they become a demon of vengeance who make the walking dead weep for having rising from hell. Their weapons never break and never run out of ammo. If your weapon is about to break, you can give it to your survivor to use permanently to keep the pain train going.

Even better, when you use the waypoint system (RT+Y), the survivors treat that like commandos holding a hill. They'll just obliterate all the zombies there in no time. Suddenly your survivors aren't shackles around your throat, they're an army at your command. And if you decide you need help with a psycho, bring some armed survivors with you. Just remember that you need to feed your survivors food and drink to heal them because psychopaths dish out pain to the living. But if you just use Y, they'll mostly just stand around and shuffle their feet and rarely attack. So friends don't let friends use Y. Use Waypoints and be safe this holiday season! :TMYK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJ3OLZILII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frJ_6vsV3HY

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 23, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The OP left out Dead Rising: Chop til you Drop :v:

which I won't lie, I wanted to try out just to see how different it was compared to the original Dead Rising.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Off The Record was my second game on Steam, and I loved the hell out of it. Still haven't gotten the best ending, or beaten Stacey's Robot in Uranus Zone , but any game where you can use a dead swordfish as a weapon is more than worth the price of admission. I would love to play it without that abysmal GFWL though, I never got a chance to do CoOp because it was so buggy on my computer.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

blackguy32 posted:

The OP left out Dead Rising: Chop til you Drop :v:

which I won't lie, I wanted to try out just to see how different it was compared to the original Dead Rising.
This thread is canon, sorry.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The only thing that I would ask for with these games is a way to speed up time. There have been a lot of times where I wanted to do something at a specific time, but I had to wait for it to happen.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

The only thing that I would ask for with these games is a way to speed up time. There have been a lot of times where I wanted to do something at a specific time, but I had to wait for it to happen.

That time is called "Get pp, kill zombies" time. Despite the awkward controls, annoying inventory UI, cheap, juggling bosses, suicidal AI, and time limits, I just love the heck out of these games. When Dead Rising 2 was free on Xbox Live this summer, I finally got to play co-op with my friends. I found I had to coach them through a lot of the game. "You can skip the whole story and play," "build up your character first," or "If you need zombrex have you tried actually reading the mission briefs?" But, gosh, DR2 was a load of fun being a fully leveled maniac in a speedo, suplexing hundreds of zombies while my friends just tried to take out the first Psycho. If, when, I get an X1, I'm getting Dead Rising 3.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Anyone find any broken combos or good places to farm pp in dr3?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I love Dead Rising.

A Lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgpsVZpsfJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apXkynJYjDE

I really hope DR3 comes out for PC so I can gently caress around with makin' weapons and poo poo again. This ate up so much time but it was so fun since it's so dang simple that even someone who is insanely inept at just about everything could get stuff to generally work with a whole lotta trial and error.

The engine definitely seems to be the same one as the DR2 one so if it is, hopefully the simplicity of makin' stuff is the same.

edit: I really hope DR3 still has the same kinda "charm" that DR1/2 have, because that's basically the most important part of the game even if it's a vague thing. There's just something to the games as a whole that is really charmin', between the characters and the gameplay and whatnot.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 23, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I really have to wonder why the first DR3 trailer went with the CoD atmosphere.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Anatharon posted:

I really have to wonder why the first DR3 trailer went with the CoD atmosphere.

I personally get the impression the DR3 devs were of the camp that Dead Rising as a series was too goofy so they seem to have grounded the main storyline. I think they walked that back a bit with the optional bosses but the proper storyline is pretty standard zombie game stuff from the streams I've seen.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I was a big fan of the first two (more the first one than the second) but so far I'm not really feeling 3. Far too many zombies to even be able to navigate so instead of hitting objectives and weapons your just constantly looking for food. Maybe I just haven't played long enough yet.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Huntsekker posted:

Anyone find any broken combos or good places to farm pp in dr3?
Knife-Gloves are back, as are Tenderziers (You can get a better eletro version) but I find one of the best is the fire-shooting traffic-light one. You get the mod from the powerstation.
Also the Ultra Mecha Fire Dragon thing is insane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh2OLeUbCc4

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Has anyone tried the co-op on DR3 yet? Just started and it seems like the logical conclusion for next steps. I'd love to get in on a goon party of zombie destruction, hit me up (gamertag: Rally Vincent).

Dead Rising 1 was one the reason I bought the 360 and honestly, DR3 is the reason I bought an xbone. I played DR2 but I don't know, never fully got into it like I did DR1. Hoping that changes with DR3 and I get back to feeling the need to zombie destruction.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Finally I can be Getter Robo/Mazinger in a zombie game

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Looks like they finally made the combat more fluid. I liked DR2 (OTR more than vanilla) but fighting in that felt like paddling up a river of bricks.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Anyone wanting to play dr3 co-op add me on xbox one Soggygravy

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Played a couple hours of DR3 tonight. Seems pretty great so far. I like a lot of the ease of use features they've added. I completely agree with the criticism of the color palette though.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

The game is fun as hell so far. I added the two people who posted their gamer tags. Add me too GT: mc pringles

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I've played for a few hours. One thing that has frustrated me is that sometimes when you get grappled you need to shake the controller to break the zombie hold, and twice now I have failed to get the shake to register. I lost about an hour of gameplay yesterday due to two failures to recognize my controller shake and Nick just got chomped to death from full health. Incredibly loving frustrating. I hadn't been saving mid-goal not wanting to whore the new save mechanic, but I think I'm going to start doing so. Or at least the instant I get grappled I'm going to just pause and save right there so I will at least keep my blueprints and collectibles.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the game though.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Graniteman posted:

I've played for a few hours. One thing that has frustrated me is that sometimes when you get grappled you need to shake the controller to break the zombie hold, and twice now I have failed to get the shake to register. I lost about an hour of gameplay yesterday due to two failures to recognize my controller shake and Nick just got chomped to death from full health. Incredibly loving frustrating. I hadn't been saving mid-goal not wanting to whore the new save mechanic, but I think I'm going to start doing so. Or at least the instant I get grappled I'm going to just pause and save right there so I will at least keep my blueprints and collectibles.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the game though.

Two things that can help with this - first, I'm pretty sure you can just mash B to break the grapple if the Kinect can't register you for some reason, although I haven't had a problem with it. If you're still having trouble, you can just turn off the kinect grapple breaking in the options menu.

Game is a boatload of fun - it's a great sandbox, and the large number of zombies and relaxed time constraints really help make just wandering around getting into trouble feel engaging. There's lots of little things that happen while you're playing that bring the next gen aspects forward, like the destructability of the environment, physics and sheer number of models on the screen at any given time. The Giantbomb quick look does a pretty good job of showing it all off, and Jeff really enjoys the sandbox elements of the game so it's 90% him just tooling around murdering the dead.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I loving love Dead Rising 2 and have put at least 400 hours into PS3 Co-Op with my friend after work, where we would just dick around, get trophies, listen to the fat sexfreaks theme music... And then do it for even more hours in OTR. I always go back to it, even though I have newer games to play.

I hope DR3 gets a PC/PS4 release, because despite the framerate, lack of kill count and greyness, I would like to play it.
The new weapons, open houses and areas, new vehicles, more Celldweller music (that Sloth theme :swoon:) and the ability to play story mode without a time limit, while keeping the time limit in nightmare mode.

How does combo weapons work this time? I recall some early interviews mentioning abilities/stats for items that you combine, like a battery being electric and then you combine it with stuff for an electric hammer or gun or whatever?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Spergminer posted:

How does combo weapons work this time? I recall some early interviews mentioning abilities/stats for items that you combine, like a battery being electric and then you combine it with stuff for an electric hammer or gun or whatever?

I haven't played any of the previous Dead Rising games, so I can't compare it to them, but this is how it works in DR3:

You collect blueprints that have specific items you can combine for a combo weapon. Bat + Box of Nails = Spiked Bat; Sledgehammer + Cement Saw = Sledgesaw. Sometimes a blueprint has a couple possible combos, but they're always specific items.

To create the combos you just hold the inventory button to bring up your inventory, then hit A to make a combo out of the items you have.

Where it gets into the different abilities like you mention, one of the things you can spend your attribute points on is the combo weapon categories. If you spend a point on, say the "blunt object" category, then items that are blunt objects become interchangeable for combo weapon purposes. In one of the above examples, the requirements to create a Spiked Bat change from "Bat + Box of Nails" to "Blunt Object + Box of Nails".

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Been spending a lot of time with DR3, imo by far best of the series. Combo weapon system finally works well and is a load of fun, the huge swathe of zombies are just a blast to plow through. The normal mode is low on challenge though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Spergminer posted:

I hope DR3 gets a PC/PS4 release, because despite the framerate, lack of kill count and greyness, I would like to play it.
Lack of kill count? :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh2OLeUbCc4
360+ kills with a single weapon in one combo.
Once you make a Combo weapon you can pull them out of Weapon Lockers from a safehouse without having to build them. You can pull two of these out at a time. (Weapon Lockers work on a recharge timer. Normal items only take 1/8th of the bar, Combo weapons take 1/4, Super Combos take 1/2.)
Also that's 17,000+ zombie kills on a Starting character and I wasn't even half-way through the story yet.

With the Kinect shaking stuff, you can just turn it off in the options so you just have to button-mash.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Spergminer posted:

I think it's the same formula system from DR2 only without the workshop requirement. But as long as you have the two items in active inventory for the recipe, you're given the option to combine them with a button press. From a design standpoint, they often leave combinable vehicles and weapons in the same room as the blueprints to combine them and that seems to carry on in the later levels too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Xbone + DR3 = Such easiness for uploading videos. I don't know if there's a way to 1 step it for youtube but even putting it up on skydrive and then putting it on youtube makes it fun and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8aWtAx1Awk

• Locked thread