Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.
I've been keeping this project(and myself) out of the forums for a little while now. Since I'm actually into the building stage of things, and at a point where some potentially interesting things might happen, I've decided to go ahead and post it up! Hopefully everyone gets a kick out of it, I know I'm having fun building it, and learning a ton more about cars in general.

Up to this point(and continuing on, although I expect to update here more frequently), everything can be found here where I've been keeping track of things mostly for myself: http://jamesbuildsacar.wordpress.com/

A quick recap for everyone who doesn't want to read all that:

The project is a Brunton Auto Stalker Classic R kit car, which is made to look like a Lotus 7. The engine is an LS3 stroker I've been building as much myself as possible. 4.00" stroke, 4.065" bore, 11.2:1 compression, forged crankshaft and connecting rods, SRP pistons(which are made by JE pistons), which brings this to a 418ci LS3 stroker, basically. The heads are stock LS3 heads I got used, with double valve springs in them that I will most likely replace with single beehives since I plan on lighter valves also. I have 1.8:1 ratio Yella Terra rockers to increase valve side lift and stabilize the valvetrain a bit, and I'm planning on running around a .595 lift cam at 114 LSA, which will come out to roughly 0.630 valve lift with the rockers, but have not completely decided since I'm new to camming engines. So if anyone wants to advise me on that, I'm open to listening. .630 might be a bit much for single springs as well.

I picked this particular kit because it has a suspension set up I like(double wishbone, adjustable pushrod to inboard coilover), clears relatively wide tires more easily than a lot of 7 kits(17x10 street wheels), is lightweight at roughly 1450lbs, and fits an LS motor. Originally I spent a lot of time trying to find an F20c based kit, but nothing I found made me particularly happy, and then I would've had to go forced induction to get the power I wanted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Revelations fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

This things gonna loving fly :stare:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh dear Lord. You are one crazy SOB

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This makes a TVR seem like a safe and sensible option.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
HO LEE poo poo.

I cannot imagine what level of performance this thing would be capable of and am definitely looking forward to this build coming together.

Interesting kit. What level did you get? I didn't see it mentioned on the blog. Do they supply a basic wiring harness too, or is that up to you?

Keep it coming OP!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Man one day I am going to build one of these.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I saw the title and figured "oh, someone is going to be working on a clapped out C3 or C4", not noticing who posted it.

I could not be more wrong. :suspense:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Oh. My. poo poo. It's beautiful and with a .294 power to weight ratio, loving hell that's going to be a goddamn monster!

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

Interesting kit. What level did you get? I didn't see it mentioned on the blog. Do they supply a basic wiring harness too, or is that up to you?

I got the level 3. It does come with wiring, and the level 3 also comes with the GM crate ECM, so I should be good there except that my engine is not stock, and to be safe I will have to fire it up for the first time at a tuning shop.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Driving it is going to be like the Stargate scene at the end of 2001 :pcgaming:

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Thought this was going to be a 'stance' thread, pleasantly surprised.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have never before been more proud of whatever deficiency in the AIer brain causes threads like this. Bless you, sir.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
You beautiful crazy bastard you. Thank you for being AI when most of us cannot.I love these builds, following through on plans most of us only dream up in a pub before common sense and a fear of immediate death stop us.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
These cars are wonderful with a 200hp 4 cylinder.

This? This is just amazing.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom
Is there a detriment to running the current valve springs? Seems like a beefier setup would do well to match your beefier rockers.

e: also holy loving poo poo awesome

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I had no clue what that kit car was. Then I clicked the link. :lol: It's going to be fast

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jonontherun posted:

Is there a detriment to running the current valve springs? Seems like a beefier setup would do well to match your beefier rockers.

e: also holy loving poo poo awesome

They're almost entirely unrelated. Stiffer springs are really only useful at really high RPM (and it's an OHV motor so the pushrods limit that anyway); running stiffer than necessary valve springs doesn't provide any benefit if you're not getting float, and produces extra drag on the valvetrain, which saps horsepower.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Fucknag posted:

They're almost entirely unrelated. Stiffer springs are really only useful at really high RPM (and it's an OHV motor so the pushrods limit that anyway); running stiffer than necessary valve springs doesn't provide any benefit if you're not getting float, and produces extra drag on the valvetrain, which saps horsepower.

Right. I would prefer to run the lighter single springs if possible, which should reduce the strain on the rockers, pushrods, and everything else valve train related, if I safely can.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Here's a couple more pictures I took last night while we installed the crank and main bearings:

600+hp crank in that

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You're going to die.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

jamal posted:

You're going to die.

We're all gonna die.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

jamal posted:

You're going to die.

Most likely. Want to sell me seats and harnesses? You still in that business?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sure, you have anything in particular in mind? Bride seats and takata harnesses for that JDM look? Also can get recaro, sparco, corbeau, and racequip.

Honestly though it would be a good idea to find a local place that has a showroom and sit in a couple before ordering anything. Is this going to be a track only car or are you driving it around too? You can either go with a fixed motorsports seat or something a little more street oriented that reclines. It also makes a difference for harnesses- with a hans device you want narrower shoulder straps and slightly different mounting.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 25, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

We're all gonna die.

Yes, but most of us won't do it going 140 backwards into a tree. (possibly on fire).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

An Australian kit car company, Elfin, does a similar thing, but still seem to use 5.7lt LS1s instead of the LS3.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Das Volk posted:

600+hp crank

LOLWUT :staredog:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

veedubfreak posted:

Yes, but most of us won't do it going 140 backwards into a tree. (possibly on fire).

The greatest way to commit suicide, ever. :allears:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I think 140 is being a bit conservative. :f5h::stare::fh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ssjonizuka posted:

HO LEE poo poo.

Couldn't have said it better.

Terrible Robot posted:

The greatest way to commit suicide, ever. :allears:

Except maybe this.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

With 600 hp crank, what kind of tire width do you have planned? Do you have any downforce plans to aid traction?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I look forward to visiting the paint smear on the side of the road that marks your final resting place soon.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

jfc :stare:

Going to be a monster, as an electro-nerd I am also curious to hear more about the ECM solution.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
All the sudden, a cobra replica seems rational.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

We're all gonna die.

Our bodies will never be ready.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Beach Bum posted:

I think 140 is being a bit conservative. :f5h::stare::fh:

It's a drop-top so probably not too far off. Maybe 160? IDK.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
AI is really stepping it up, the jag thread, the dautsun resto mod thread, this thread. Dang you guys.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

movax posted:

jfc :stare:

Going to be a monster, as an electro-nerd I am also curious to hear more about the ECM solution.

It's pretty straightforward, actually. If he's using a crate-engine ECM then it's physically the same as the ECM you'd find in most GM products at a dealership these days, with the exception that it already is programmed not to expect to see anything else on the CAN bus (like the body control module). It's easy to reprogram the ECM (crate or otherwise) with aftermarket tools, so you just need a wiring harness with appropriate sensors.

I went the other route with my LS1 swap (factory ECM + tune, modified factory harness from the donor car) but the end result is the same. With a drive-by-wire setup like the LS3 is configured for already, it's even really easy to make cruise control work. Mine is a cable throttle body still so I would need the cruise hardware, but in theory I could add it too.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

jamal posted:

You're going to die.

He'll hit plaid!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's pretty straightforward, actually. If he's using a crate-engine ECM then it's physically the same as the ECM you'd find in most GM products at a dealership these days, with the exception that it already is programmed not to expect to see anything else on the CAN bus (like the body control module). It's easy to reprogram the ECM (crate or otherwise) with aftermarket tools, so you just need a wiring harness with appropriate sensors.

I went the other route with my LS1 swap (factory ECM + tune, modified factory harness from the donor car) but the end result is the same. With a drive-by-wire setup like the LS3 is configured for already, it's even really easy to make cruise control work. Mine is a cable throttle body still so I would need the cruise hardware, but in theory I could add it too.

Ah cool, that is surprisingly sane and pleasant of GM to offer. Didn't know if it would be chock full of DTCs or other flags persistently because the BCM/TCM/etc don't happen to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know why GM does it, but yeah they have had some of the easiest-to-program ECMs out there for ages. Even their 30-year-old ones had socketed chips so you could just swap them, but everything since the LT1 has been programmable with the right software / hardware.

It's also trivial to disable DTCs in them, which is great if you want to do something like put a massive cam and headers on a street-driven, emissions-tested car :getin:

TCM on a lot of GM automatics is actually handled by the ECM directly - I think the 4L80 might be the exception, but in my case the LS1 ECM handles engine and transmission together. If I were to swap to a non-4L60E gearbox I could just flash the ECM to treat it as a manual.

Speaking of which, so I don't derail this too badly, what are you going to do for a gearbox? Technically a stock T-56 won't live with this power, but you are running half the weight it was meant to deal with. TR-6060? Magnum T-56?

• Locked thread