Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

This game. This goddamn game. It's no wonder Ninja Theory is moving to mobile game business.

If this is true then that's what I call a happy ending.

I hope NT's artists find work elsewhere, though. The visual component of their games has always been crazy impressive, especially in DmC. It's absolutely everything else about them that's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
From what I heard DmC can get irritating on the higher difficulties because enemies turn into such hit-sponges that you pretty much need exploits to finish in any reasonable length of time. It sucks that NT couldn't have just kept enemy HP the same and gone with the previous games' interpretation of harder modes. "Hey, the endgame enemies all decided to move into the tutorial room. And beyond. Have fun!"

Though even that had a lot of thought put into it, in retrospect. The jacked-up enemies were almost always in places where the stage's geography served them well, so you weren't, for example, getting smacked around by a 5,000-pound mid-boss in a room the size of a shoe closet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The point that I'm trying to make is that you're [as in the thread as a whole mostly] talking about it as if there's piles of evidence from the LP to go off of. All I've really seen is that he's a smug dude but not in a lovable way. Maybe it gets worse further on but I can't tell yet because there's only been two episodes! Though I'm quite excited to see more of this and get an actual example of why the reboot of Dante sucks compared to the original.

As someone who doesn't like this game and likes its developer even less, there's nothing that objectionable about Dante 2.0 at first blush unless you really dislike his scraggly-homeless-kid getup (and I'm not thrilled by it). He lacks the proper Dante's agency and manic joie de vivre, but the plot in DmC wouldn't have allowed a character with that kind of attitude anyway.

Which is mostly the problem - the really unpleasant stuff about DmC's writing, such as it is, tends to take place around people and events other than Dante himself. Dante's redesign was just one continuous reminder that there were different hands on the wheel this time, which only magnified people's distaste for the other stuff.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 1, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah, quite frankly the really abhorrent stuff doesn't come up for a while. But once it DOES happen, its usually enough to disgust even the most jaded of gamers. Its...quite frankly, its over the line.

Changing the subject a bit, here's another big difference between classic DMC and DmC. Here, the world treats Donte like he's exactly as cool as he thinks he is.

First, the whole "Donte" thing is really loving obnoxious, and second, no, not really. I don't want to spoil anything, but Dante in DmC is treated like a glorified errand boy for nearly the entire game and people aren't exactly getting down on one knee and singing his praises. It's the errand-boy part that's the big problem - the original Dante might have been a flashy dork with the character depth of a spoon, but no one told him what to do. His life was a party and it was gettin crazy. DmC's plot follows a different structure, which lets a lot of the air out of the balloon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It also had the poor fortune to be released close to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - an entry in a series that, like DmC, had been taken over by a new developer, with a new aesthetic and completely different gameplay style. But Platinum Studios, being the Gallant to NT's Goofus, knocked that poo poo out of the park, which only made DmC look even weaker in some people's eyes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Dante is Nocturne was amazing and awful in equal measure because it basically put you and your demons on the receiving end of one of his CRAZY PARTIES. He literally falls out of the loving sky, beats you like a drum, and makes a stylish exit if you survive long enough for his adrenaline rush to wear off.

The fact that he has no place in the MegaTen universe is never even brought up. He's Dante, he goes where he wants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
DMC1 Dante is basically RE4 Leon with more swords and less grappling hooks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

Mangy Crackhead

Please stop doing this, it's dumb as hell.

I mean none of your posts have been all that insightful despite you saying you'll be, like, the envoy of people who don't like DmC or whatever, but baby steps I guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neruz posted:

I'm sure Dante's Nephilim immune system can overpowere an STD or two. He can make bullets out of thin air after all.

Now you're making me picture his T-cells bullet-surfing on the gonorrhea virus.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know we joke, but was NT ever aware, at any point in development, that this was a note-for-note ripoff of an episode of Futurama? Surely someone on the staff must have gone "wait a minute, this looks familiar."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

You know what's really sad? Castlevania Lords of Shadows got an even worse reception than DmC, when it's everything DmC isn't. Lords of Shadow has downright insane enemy variety - they literally have an entirely new set of enemies every couple of levels. They have the same platforming sequences, but executed just slightly better. And unlike DmC, Lords of Shadow is hard as balls, and really rewards perfect play.

And seriously, the amount of enemy variety in that game puts almost any other game in the same genre to shame.

If both games hadn't been named after a beloved franchise, Lords of Shadow would have been hailed as an almost perfectly executed game, with terrible voice acting (in most places), while DmC would have been called an above average brawler with great art direction.

Lords of Shadow was only difficult because the enemies were all unflinching meat walls until you got one of the broke-rear end super abilities, and the enemies consisted of the exact same three types (with the same attacks, no less!) with a bunch of different skins. It was a bad lovely title with very pretty graphics, so the only real difference between it and DmC is that Lords of Shadow has Patrick Stewart saying the phrase "long and hard" with a straight face.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Why aren't we playing this version again? :allears:

There was not enough time. Not enough mariachis.

There's another one for the final boss and it's even better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to hire talent outside of the Blum/North/Clarke/Baker Power Hour, this is a stupid complaint. And I don't have anything against those guys! But it's highly unlikely their presence would have uplifted the script in any way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Story is a nice buffer for a lot of games but it's by no means crucial in others. Having an auto-skip toggle doesn't sound like too tall of an order, though seriously, it's one or two buttons, suck it up princess

And Star Ocean 3 had problems that went way beyond its story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Edit: also, there are side spaces and hidden collectibles that the OP can't show because they require using weapons given to you later in the game, a la Metroid.

Which is utter bullshit, because those collectibles a) count towards your S ranking for the level, and b) mostly serve no purpose other than gatekeeping that rank. They're angry yelling guys stuck in walls whom you must slay to get that S. You can play as stylishly as you want, you're not getting max props for your work unless you replay a stage later. At least the other DMC games' backtracking and persistent inventory between new games meant that the goodies you had to collect later actually could be collected later, and would still benefit you in any case.

DmC's art design is quite nice. Its level design veers between uninspired and maddening.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

There are without question mis-steps, but no more offensive then those made in previous games

There is at least one misstep that's vastly more offensive and no, there is no ground on which you can disagree with that without sounding like a juvenile idiot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

In SMT2, you kill God. Twice. :smug:

MegaTen games are the big blasphemous exception to that rule across the board.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably just as bad provided the combat system and scoring were still terrible. Maybe the story would have been even worse? Is that possible?

Imagine if the whole game were full of scenes like the one coming up shortly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Compendium posted:

Hi guys, what's up-... Oh, yes THAT scene. :cripes:

I mean, aside from the initial disgust, anger, and streams of, "Why???", Vergil finally gets off his rear end and does something after making Dante do all the work and it's... sniping a hostage and her child. Class act NT.

Maybe there wasn't as much outrage against this scene as one think there would be since Lilith and demon fetus were trying to kill Dante a level ago, so out they in the most undignified way possible. :frog:

Saying that what just happened is justified (and I'm not suggesting you are) because "oh they were a boss fight just then" is at once loving stupid and just a little bit disturbing. It was the main excuse for the scene back when the game's apologists were out in force, yes, but they were wrong then and they're wrong now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pity it didn't work and people have all but forgotten about the game- what a shame.

No, not really, no.

The only way it can be considered a shame is that, now that it's all but disappeared from the public consciousness, NT might be trusted with a project of this scope again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mehuyael posted:

Yeah, killing pregnant creatures is a-ok as long as they aren't human.

Especially if they begin to sob disconsolately just before they get capped in the skull!

Lilith did more to make the audience sympathize with her in that split-second then the rubber-faced bros did for the whole game, but she is a Bad Guy so anything that happens to her is a-ok.

• Locked thread