Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Welp, my opinion on this game is that it's essentially a more polished Heavenly Sword. It's not bad, not even mediocre; it's a decent game. A nice brawler. It's also a very pretty game with some neat level design.

But it is also certainly not at the level of previous DMC games in terms of gameplay/mechanics.

Also New Dante is dumb :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

Does this exist as an official mod yet? Because I've seen this before and it's positively magical. :allears:

My god, it makes it like 3x better. Spanish VA Dante is also a bit less obnoxious for whatever reason.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, does the mod have music already?! :psyduck:

Nah, I just meant the videos. Is this actually a mod?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Ughh, don't even remind me, Antoniades's SUCH a loving douche.

I'm sure we'll get into some of the douchey things he said during development, but for now I'll leave you with this:

Ok, so they only look kinda similar.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chaostime posted:

Too many folks in this thread take this game too seriously, and don't treat it like the hilariously self aware poo poo show it really is.

Even Dante knows DmC is a bad game.

Man I wanna believe this game is totally self aware and just clowning us all, but some of the pre-release self-fellation by Tameem makes me think otherwise.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dice_ posted:

There's no way it's possible for that plot point to actually occur, The relations are definitely hinted but Vergil simply didn't have the drat time to do such a thing. Sparda's future is unknown, some say he died and others don't. Perhaps he went and cheated on his wife and Nero is just Sparda's Bastard Child.

Eh, I like it how it's presented in the game- that Nero is just some kind of vague spiritual descendant of Vergil; no need to throw that into the plot.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It would certainly be cool to see what you think of DMC4.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yessssss let the lovely writing apocalypse commence :unsmigghh:

When the game first came out I watched a stream of someone running through it- I could not believe this scene and had to go back and verify what I had seen later. Who gave this the greenlight?

Ah well, it gets worse.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

Do they give Dante a vomit attack?

That would have redeemed the game a bit in my eyes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
All I know is that Nero's dumb gun needed an auto-charge so I didn't have to hold down the trigger while I was doing other stuff, that was annoying. Maybe make it an upgrade or something, I dunno.

It was more annoying than adding any genuine difficulty to the gameplay.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

That Alastor scene is probably my favorite in the series. The sword wasn't even important to the plot why did they give it such a cool cutscene. :allears:

Back to DmC though. Despite what we've seen so far, competent hands could turn New Dante into a decent character. From what I heard, they didn't manage it in this game. (still trying to keep an open mind though) Even so, I'm not averse to a sequel - provided it's an improvement. Does anyone else feel the same? What would you like to see in a sequel?

A sequel? To this game? Muuurrggh ok let's imagine that's what happens. This is what I would want:

-Scrap the combat system
Give the game to someone who actually knows how to make a game like this and doesn't have to be coached through it. Nail down the gameplay and everything else is basically a bonus.

-Either more intelligent writing or writing that is deliberately over-the-top (I would suggest the latter as games like this tend to have the story kinda pushed into a corner while you beat stuff up). No Tameem I am not impressed by your vain attempt to make a cool protagonist and a maturely written game.

-Maybe keep Ninja Theory on as background level designers? The game tries to do some cool stuff visually sometimes.

-Just give it to Platinum

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

That's a drat good way of putting it. I mean... it's just so agonizingly vapidly... God it's an insultingly dumb and crude way to try and add tension to the plot in any way. Although, seeing by the way the rest of the game was designed, it really isn;t that surprising that they would consider s move like this. I know some people might try and continue to say that the whole approach to DmC is a parody; but generally parodies are funny. This is just... trite tripe of the dumbest form.

It is so obviously not a parody, People Who Might Think That. The devs really think this is edgy and cool. They think this is pretty good writing (oh god they never stopped talking about how great they thought the writing and story were pre-release) and are proud of it and it deserves nothing but mockery.

I'm not saying you flat out can't do something like this in a movie or game or whatever, but you better know what you're doing or it's going to be really ridiculous.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Christ Capcom if you want better reviews and thus a better Metacritic score then you have to pay off more reviewers or market the game better and generate more hype. Game quality beyond a base level does not really matter if you want bigger numbers.

I guess the stuff in the article itself was PR bullshit so it's a moot point, but it's still irritating.

EDIT:

That Scene is at worst offensive and at best hack writers playing with toys they don't understand in an attempt to be edgy. Pity it didn't work and people have all but forgotten about the game- what a shame.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 11, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

No, not really, no.

The only way it can be considered a shame is that, now that it's all but disappeared from the public consciousness, NT might be trusted with a project of this scope again.

I hope NT is relegated to designing background art in video games forever and they just never make another game on their own. Every loving game they have made is a pretty game with bad/boring gameplay.

For chrissakes I think they basically modified the control scheme from Heavenly Sword a bit and used it for this game. The "platforming" sections are similarly lifeless- lock on, press button, move yourself/thing.

Why did it take so long for people to admit that this was a mediocre/bad game?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Fine, let's assume they are Evil and Demons and that makes it Okay to kill them out of hand.

You need to be a special kind of rear end in a top hat to shoot the baby, give the mother enough time to realize what just happen, then shoot the mother.

That story about them wanting the protagonist of Enslaved to kick a guy off a plane for no reason because they thought it would make him look cool like a badass, ya'know? seems especially relevant here.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KamikazePotato posted:

This has been a fun LP to witness and topic to read through. DmC's case is truly fascinating.

Everyone has chipped in what their least-favorite part of the game is, but I don't think people have talked about the pre-release stuff quite as much as it warrants. I've never been a fan of game reviewers in general, but the DmC stuff is the only time they've managed to instill legitimate anger in me since someone went fishing in Nier. I can sorta understand why Capcom would why to hype up their game by going "THE SERIES WAS NEVER GREAT WE'RE MAKING IT PERFECT NOW", but why did every person in games journalism buy it? I remember one site tried to do a comparison showing how much DmC has improved on the series and they only compared it to Devil May Cry 1, ignoring everything else. And that was hardly the worst thing I saw. Anyone remember this?

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/28/dmc-loses-uk-number-one-after-one-week-as-black-ops-ii-returns-3369615/

The subject of a hate campaign by fans, for daring to change the nature of protagonist Dante, DmC has nevertheless been warmly received by critics and turned out to be a much better game than many initially feared. That doesn’t seem to have helped it though...

Along with a picture captioned Have the haters won? Classy.

Ah yes the ol' THEY ONLY HATE IT BECAUSE WE CHANGED THE HAIR, WHAT A BUNCH OF HATERS argument that every moron who wrote words about videogames latched onto. It was just such an easy thing to think if you didn't know anything about the previous games whatsoever except maybe doing a Google Image search for DMC 1-3.

haters

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The devs crowing about how unironically cool they thought New And Improved Dante was and how impactful they thought their "storytelling" was didn't help either.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wild Knight posted:

It kind of really is the New Coke of DMC.

Hopefully this was all a clever marketing ploy to make us want more DMC Classic.

"Eh we could just make a bad game but you know who'll really gently caress this series up? A western developer who's never really made a good action game but thinks they can."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
God, Tameem is such a pretentious wiener.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It is not only a great action game but also the unholy union of Platinum insanity with Metal Gear insanity is extremely satisfying.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silegna posted:

I still don't understand why they would remove a fundamental part of a fighting game like DMC like the lock on though. What was with the control scheme? I found that it didn't look that different from DMC4 or 3.

Well they needed the two triggers to switch between the two weapon styles a-la Heavenly Sword! And two dodge buttons for some reason! You see they just couldn't do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Aw. I was expecting a mirror final boss fight against Dante. I suppose Hollow Virgil fills that role, but ehhhhhhh.

DmC: ehhhhhhh

• Locked thread