Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I managed to not get mad about it because we got Bayonetta anyway, but it was a shame to see a series that didn't need it get rebooted so childishly. One more game that has the word "nephilim", great! :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

I don't really get the hate for DMC4. I was pessimistic about Nero going into it, but his gameplay is arguably even more technical. People like to hate on the "backtracking", and while it's obvious they were reusing level assets to save time and money they did a really good job pulling it off with Dante.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Addict posted:

Other than that, it seems pretty okay? Visually it has a cool aesthetic, and the combat looks pretty solid. Dark Souls is my untouchable holiest of holies game though, so if they announced they were doing a bunch of weird poo poo to it, I can see myself being pretty upset. I will assume its like that.

Obviously DMC was never a DS style of game, but this holds up. Imagine that Dark Souls 2 comes out and it plays like Dragon's Dogma.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised by how agreeable this Dante is so far. The facial animations are pretty well done, which kinda helps. My problem was always that God of War was a big, flashy pretender to the action game genre that Devil May Cry founded, and Capcom decided to turn DMC into a pretender to that.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Crabtree posted:

What exactly is the point of cramming Dante and Virgil's entire childhood history into one sloppy info dump of a second level? Am I supposed to feel sorry that they didn't grow up to be New England demonic rich kids or just ashamed that Capcom never had the idea to ape from MGS3 and make a game about Sparta's War against Hell?

MGS3 didn't invent the prequel.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I just can't get over that this is a Devil May Cry game that isn't technical.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Honestly if you're going to play a real DMC game as counterpoint it should be DMC3.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

Demonic/evil looking babies is just another example of taking something usually cute and making it grotesque for shock value, it's a classic horror tactic.

Though you're probably right anyway. :v:

Honestly we should be grateful every time we don't hear children singing nursery rhymes in "edgy" entertainment.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Aurain posted:

The Union Jack has always been a symbol of the punk movement.

He's an image of Devil May Cry 1 creator Hideki Kamiya as a young man, standing next to his mom. (Who did the calligraphy for Okami's credits)

I only mention it since the LPers caught themselves in an early video, but when it's not on a ship it's the union flag, not jack.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Aurain posted:

Supposedly disputed by historians as recently as October 2013.
It's not really important though, I guess.

What is important is how cool Hideki Kamiya is. :allears:

Oh cool. I shouldn't have even brought this up, but it's one thing fewer to be irresponsibly pedantic about.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Why is Dante sleeping with angels? Is that all they're doing now that they lost the war or whatever?

George
Nov 27, 2004

Neruz posted:

Fallen angels tend to be pretty sinful due to the whole 'fallen' thing. Presumably Dante being a super-powerful Nephilim helps too.

I just mean it's weird that we don't see anything about what the angels are up to besides sleeping with Dante.

George
Nov 27, 2004

That cutscene was wretched, but I wanted to touch on the complaints about the game being too convenient/forgiving. It's true that games nowadays are usually designed to be streamlined experiences from cutscene to cutscene, but that has never been the case with Devil May Cry. This series has always been about technical, fast-paced combat against dangerous enemies. Ranking systems were always actually challenging. I can't even believe the extent to which this is not the case! They could have given the game Mario 3's story but kept the original DMC combat and it would have been less of a departure.

George
Nov 27, 2004

notZaar posted:

As much as this game got wrong, there were a lot of things it did right. The best thing about it were the generous tip and help screens that actually bother to explain the game mechanics and gave examples on how to effectively use them. Previous DMC games have very obscure mechanics that had to be discovered on accident. Hell in the first game you didn't even have a combo list and would never know about the useful pause combos unless you happen to use one by accident. DMC3 was really bad about this, with things like enemy step and DT explosions.

DMC3 actually had a pretty thorough in-game tutorial system. The problem was it was clunky and slow to use, and also a lot of the high technology in that game (like killer bee canceling) came from exploits.

George
Nov 27, 2004

You guys are forgetting that angels show up in another place in this game: Dante's bed. With no explanation.

George
Nov 27, 2004

You're still doing this and it still isn't clever.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Archaotic posted:

And honestly, backtracking by its very nature is not automatically a bad thing. Hell, it's half the reason Metroidvania games are so popular. The problem is that backtracking, when done badly (DMC4), feels very lazy and cheap. But as pretty as the levels in DmC might look, there is absolutely zero substance to them. Ninja Theory can cover it up with all the fancy post-processing they want, but a linear corridor full of battle arenas is still a linear corridor full of battle arenas.

It's like you've never played a good Metroid game. They're less about backtracking and more about a sense of place and meaningful terrain. Just using items as keys is lazy bullshit, which DMC got away with as a series because of incredibly loving good combat. This game seems like its combat is pretty good, which isn't enough to carry a game with nothing else.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Every time you guys get into a discussion about the quality of the game it's kind of frustrating. One of you has never played an action game with any depth to it and the other has only played one a little bit. It says a lot that even that little bit makes you hate on this game.

That's really what the whole thing boils down to. If you've played one of the DMC trilogy, or Bayonetta, or MGR, or God Hand, or anything on their level, then to see a new DMC game released that's just some pretty hallways and tepid combat is a real heartbreaker.

George
Nov 27, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

Not exactly the best choice of words

Devil May Cry is basically still a trilogy. And I agree that the art design for DMC2 was kinda great. I was actually following the prerelease stuff eagerly!

George
Nov 27, 2004

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Why the hell do these weapon gates keep showing up? They don't do anything besides mark out teeny red orb caches and slow you down by making you slap them around for a while. At least in the DMC games they existed as skill statues that held an actually good reward and were a bit difficult to beat up.

Existing as completely optional and mildly hidden works much better in an action game with acceptable platforming but just having it be "you need this key to open the door" is really freakin' stupid.

Especially when there's no way to get to the door without having the key. Whoever was praising the level design is at maximum wrong.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I'm impressed they went so far with their Bill O'Reilly lampoon that they actually had him say "we'll do it live!"

George fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 25, 2014

George
Nov 27, 2004

Honestly I still haven't seen anything in this game that counts as good level design. It's always the same loving hallway with the same two kinds of grapple point. Then you go into a basically featureless room (unless there's a bottomless pit) and fight two kinds of enemies.

DMC3 didn't have grapple points, but it had carefully designed encounters in rooms with traps and did a much better job of using the level and monster layouts to create an experience. I just... this game phoned in every moment of every level. The visual design is solid, and I also really dug the logo bit and wished they did more with it, but I wish they'd done more with literally every other part of the gameplay.

George
Nov 27, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I think DMC3 is still the best action ever game, but I disagree with you here based solely on the existence on Mission 17. The clockwork gear room with Bloodgoyles, the guillotine hallway with those Boo-starfish, the upside-down blade pillars...no other level has convinced me that platforming has no place in character action games.

The secret missions that require platforming are arguably the true problem. Mission 17 had its frustrating moments, but it mostly comes down to Dante's jump not being designed for a platform game. I honestly didn't mind it so much, but it's true that it could've been better. It was still better than these on-rails hallway sections that make up 70% of every level in DmC.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Aurain posted:

Uncharted is on ND's proprietary engine and not Unreal. Not sure you were saying that it was specifically, but just to make sure there's no confusion. Unreal is for shooters. Ninja Theory were offered a translated MT Framework for DmC (and MT Framework wasn't translated prior to this offer, they were going to do it for them) but they turned it down. That's a shame because MT Framework is made out of Wizards and Rainbows.

Holy poo poo. As I understand it Capcom keeps MT really close to the chest, so this is a bit baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

Silegna posted:

The premise of this makes the game seem more badass than it is.

You're right! That part where the sheeple are walking down the street but Dante goes the other direction is some pretty deep symbolism that shows what a badass loner he is!

Everything about Lilith is pissing me off, but the line about how she wants to catch Dante so that Mundus will delight in her makes me clench my fists.

• Locked thread