Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

They changed it cause they don't want to be associated with DOTA for some dumb reason. It's just a buzzword, they loving love buzzwords.

Sounds completely reasonable...

So when are they going to change the name lane, jungle, items, ward and ultimate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SarutosZero posted:

Is there an official term they call melee carries? Yismen?

Manstabber.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bholder posted:

So when are they going to change the name lane, jungle, items, ward and ultimate?

All of those convey some level of meaning to a person approaching the term where ADC does not because it is letters.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Anatharon posted:

Manstabber.

Swordbros.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Bholder posted:

Lane = Fight Road. Jungle = Spooky Area. Items = Party Favors. Ultimate = Cool Mega Move. They don't need to rename wards because nobody knows what they are to begin with.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

vulgey posted:

I've already switched up my game when playing Jinx to just motor down towers while the bruisers and fat supports have a cripple fight in mid lane. If I don't get 5 towers down it's a bad game.

I had one game last night where I got off to a bad start on Caitlyn due to minor mistakes snowballing, but I came back and while my team was death-matching mid lane for 3+ minutes I cranked every structure in the bot lane including the inhibitor by myself with no interaction from the enemy team. It sounds like we are playing the same game.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."

Mackers posted:

Anyone got tips for jungle Eve, build and strategy-wise?

Had a horrendous game as her last night where any time I'd come in for a gank I'd get freaking wrecked, not to mention the jungle creeps eating me alive. Guess I'm too used to S3 tanky junglers, but I'd like to try Eve with the near absence of pinks on the map these days...

I've been doing the fancy pro start: Blue Pot + 5 Health Pots + 1 Mana Pot and then rushing Spirit of the Elder Lizard and getting Mobi Boots and then building DFG and usually game is over by that point. For Runes/Masteries been using Diamond's wacky stuff with a 21/9 with some AD masteries and then AP quints/AD marks/Armor seals/AP glyphs

Her ganks/counterganks are just super brutal with the absence of pinks, you can just sit in a lane with impunity and wait for the right moment. Though I've had games where I am wrecking face and all my lanes still manage to lose super hard and the game turns into a poo poo show. Not much you can do about that though.

From what I can gleam, the current consensus on jungling in 3.14 is that you have to build damage. That combined with the lack of invisible pink wards makes Eve a really good pick.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

SarutosZero posted:

Lane = Fight Road. Jungle = Spooky Area. Items = Party Favors. Ultimate = Cool Mega Move. They don't need to rename wards because nobody knows what they are to begin with.

The crew I run with refers to the Jungle as the "Spooky Forest", but I am definitely renaming lane to "Fight Road"

Also Wards = "That thing the support character buys I guess"

Libertine posted:

I had one game last night where I got off to a bad start on Caitlyn due to minor mistakes snowballing, but I came back and while my team was death-matching mid lane for 3+ minutes I cranked every structure in the bot lane including the inhibitor by myself with no interaction from the enemy team. It sounds like we are playing the same game.

I dunno I've had the same experience pre and post patch as Sivir. Disorganized teams tend to be bad at stopping split pushes.

I also wind up buying homeguards almost every game because of this reason. It's so good being able to press a fight when you see a split pusher, run back and stop the split push with minimal damage.

Lib, since you were playing Cait, how do you feel about new botlane? I haven't played it a ton to get a feel for it, but I wonder if you feel if it's more snowbally or less snowbally due to new support power.

I've felt for awhile that bot lane is overly prone to snowballing since you get huge power spikes at Vamp Scepter and BF Sword but I haven't tested the new bot lane dynamics that much.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 27, 2013

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Trigger warning: theoddone is an odd guy, but this video is loving hilarious given the support talk. "He's the support, of course he is going to solo the jungler!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eIp7BlmiWU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Libertine posted:

We are going to sit in front of this turret and each team is going to wave clear constantly but do nothing else. We will do this for approximately 5 minutes before one team gets bored and walks away.

- Solo queue

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So thoughts regarding the trinkets, yellow and red are the only worthwhile ones right now so hopefully they change that.

Yellow trinket really shouldn't be revealing how many wards someone has placed to the ENEMY TEAM when you mouse over it.

Red needs a cooldown reduction at level 9 and the 475g version, should go from 3m to 2m to 1m, or 2m > 1:30 > 1m.

Blue needs a massive overhaul, clairvoyance should just be removed from the game and the blue trinket should take over for it,
it needs to be a much shorter cooldown and even shorter on the 9 and 475g versions and reveal the area longer then a measly 1 second, something closer to 4-6-8 seconds, before level 9 you should be able to use it to reveal a bush from a further distance then you can plop a friggen ward into it too.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

SarutosZero posted:

usually they call them assassin or fighter, depending on what exactly they do

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

silly posted:

I've been doing the fancy pro start: Blue Pot + 5 Health Pots + 1 Mana Pot and then rushing Spirit of the Elder Lizard and getting Mobi Boots and then building DFG and usually game is over by that point.
May I ask why you still build Elder Lizard on Eve? Hate Spike doesn't proc the burn anymore, so it seems much worse for her.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

vulgey posted:

We are going to sit in front of this turret and each team is going to wave clear constantly but do nothing else. We will do this for approximately 5 minutes before one team gets bored and walks away.

- Solo queue

This happens so often and the worst thing is you have to join them otherwise they will flip their poo poo, yell at you to 'group up' for their worthless push and engage anyway and when they all die in the 4v5 they started will blame you.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yellow trinket really shouldn't be revealing how many wards someone has placed to the ENEMY TEAM when you mouse over it.
This is the top secret for choosing which lane to be ganking as a jungler right now.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Saith posted:

^^^Is there some sacred edict blessing ranged autoattackers with the divine right to carry and no one else?

One of the reasons they deleted the term from their lexicon and never really refer to it anymore was to get rid of that exact mentality, and I couldn't be happier for it.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Mikujin posted:

I think it was some Tonetta guy but he's kind of a scrub lord. :downs:

Wow thems fightin words watch your back homie

Career
Mar 27, 2010

SarutosZero posted:

Supports get to have more fun now at no/little expense to any other role.

Wouldn't they be doing what they're already doing, except with bigger numbers popping up?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Killed By Death posted:

May I ask why you still build Elder Lizard on Eve? Hate Spike doesn't proc the burn anymore, so it seems much worse for her.

Yeah this is my feeling on it, I don't think Elder Lizard is good on her anymore

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
As a support main I love the fact that I'm not just a babysitter for the biggest brat on the team anymore. I love that 2v2 fights aren't automatically lost if my partner dies. I love that if I go to ward something, I'm not guaranteed to die if any other member of the enemy team shows up. Certain supports are making a huge impact right now, and frankly I think that's the idea. I think nerfing Annie and Taric would be a huge mistake because people will just transition to one of the other several dozen champs that can do the same poo poo, but people just aren't bothering to experiment right now. Either Riot will have to dumpster about half of the total champs in the game for the sake of preserving an outdated support meta, or they can buff like very small handful of champs that aren't cutting it right now.

Bot lane compositions may go through a major change before it's all done. We may see lane swaps between the mid and one of the bot laners. I don't know. I'm not a pro player. But my biggest hope is that what's happening right now with the support role is exactly what Riot wanted, and that they will do everything they can to embrace and encourage it.

Re: Eve, she has enough mana issues that I feel like Spectral Wraith is her best item.

Career posted:

Wouldn't they be doing what they're already doing, except with bigger numbers popping up?

Or being able to use more active items. Or being able to survive more than a passing breeze in a teamfight or when they go to scout or ward or run to help another lane and get intercepted. Or being able to choose from a wider variety of champions and not be considered a troll pick (this one will take a little time methinks).

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 27, 2013

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Realtalk: the actual problems with the game right now involve the really piss ability to clear wards and everybody is hitting full builds before 40 minutes.

I'm not asking for a full jungle clear on wards or anything, but something so simple as clearing out the wards around baron is impossible without 3+ pinks and 5 sweepers, and you can only guarantee one of each as any role. Make me spend 600g for a 2 minute oracles or something god drat. Also, how the hell are we supposed to deal with shaco now, throw a pink down anywhere we might walk?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Shaco and Eve are bad yeah, but Teemo is worse. Like it sucked before when even with Oracles you'd run into his mushrooms when you walked into a bush, but now you really can't walk anywhere in the jungle without stepping all over mushrooms

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I had someone lock Teemo last night in a random normal game and didn't have any plan to go so I told him to go AP Marksman Teemo and I'd support him and I played Sona and he was cool with that and so was the team.

1) Sona is better than I thought she would be with the 3.14 changes.
2) AP Teemo bot lane is something I would be totally fine playing with in the future, strong trades and very cheap.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What's the build for Support Taric right now that you guys are using? I just played my first 3.14 game (Korean server problems) and won but I felt a little bit confused. I went Targons + Ward + Pot, and then bought some pinks, ninja tabi, Randuin's, Locket, and GA for good measure.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You can still switch trinkets right? If you're up against a Teemo or Shaco, you could just grab the stealth-sight trinket. Hell with Teemo you could wait till he hits 6 and switch then (or when he's 5, since there's a cooldown after switching).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hey guys, dragon and baron attack the closest visible target, correct? Is there something wrong with my cooked up hypothetical scenario where you drop a vision ward to tank 5 hits and let the ranged champions attack without retaliation? Ditto when taking the secondary buff on junglers, although exchanging 3 HP pots for a vision ward probably isn't very efficient and it would be difficult to position so the two little minions aren't also hitting it.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I might be crazy but I feel like Baron doesn't attack wards anymore, ever

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Baron doesn't attack wards ^^^^^

DatonKallandor posted:

You can still switch trinkets right? If you're up against a Teemo or Shaco, you could just grab the stealth-sight trinket. Hell with Teemo you could wait till he hits 6 and switch then (or when he's 5, since there's a cooldown after switching).

Scanner is literally the only viable trinket after laning phase so do that anyways regardless of who is on the enemy team.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

I can't explain why but cait feels even stronger than usual right now

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...
Maybe a consumable that can be used whenever you want and decloaks all stealthed objects in an AOE for 4-6 seconds should be introduced.

Hmmm....

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

I can't explain why but cait feels even stronger than usual right now

I think it's because the game is a big gently caress fest right now and she's pretty much always the "safest" solo queue AD to play except maybe Ezreal. I would characterize my own play on her as "solidly mediocre" and I've tried to practice her when I can. She's a great tower crusher as well.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Anatharon posted:

So far I have to say I really dislike the season 4 changes. Partially because trinkets are kind of a dumb idea. Reduce ward availability -> Remove Oracle's to make wards survive longer ->Give most of the team free wards -> Give (most likely) the jungler the means to remove wards periodically (This making an early gank more possible) -> Wards are everywhere due to it's long cooldown -> We're back to where we started.

The bot lane changes overall are silly. I don't think supports should need lots of gold, because the difference between a good support and a bad one used to be more about that. Not everyone and everywhere needs to play the same despite what Riot's been trying to do for the last 3 or so years but I guess they don't agree. Not to mention their idea of making supports scale better is really wonky.

I dunno. I've been back to the game for somewhere around 2 months now, but it's probably just not the game for me.
I only got to play a few games but I'm kinda on this boat. I don't know why they needed to change the game so drastically to get the "gameplay patterns" they wanted. Jungling seems like it got dumpstered in terms of fun and power, there's a ton of new items to learn and figure this poo poo out, and I'm just kinda like...meh.

Bot lane with gold is a good idea in theory but stupid in practice unless they buff the "scaling" utility. That would be cool. Janna's slow should be 100% with like 200 ap or something.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

DatonKallandor posted:

Scanner only lasts long enough to kill one mushroom. Hope there's not more than that or hope you didn't need it to clear a ward for your jungler to gank.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

NIV3K posted:

Scanner only lasts long enough to kill one mushroom. Hope you there's not more than that or hope you didn't need it to clear a ward for your jungles to gank.

yeah this is the problem. I understand that Oracle's made the vision game snowball really hard but this alternative isn't much better

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think I'm gonna play Eve or Teemo until something gets done about that. It seems like it's just a nightmare now.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kill_Discussion posted:

Maybe a consumable that can be used whenever you want and decloaks all stealthed objects in an AOE for 4-6 seconds should be introduced.

Hmmm....

Maybe on a cooldown, area, or duration that renders it useful in any of the scenarios people just mentioned. Hmmm....

But yeah. Stealth in general was balanced (and I use that word loosely) around the vision and detection capabilities from previous seasons. Those capabilities changed drastically in season 4, but stealth did not. At least, not yet. I have to think this is on their list; I mean everyone who saw "pink wards are not stealthed now" I'm sure immediately had the same thought I did: "Oh God Eve." I'm sure they'll make some kind of stealth change, either making sweeper detect it initially or lowering its cooldown or both maybe.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
We didn't like that supports were just blanketing the jungle with wards, so we made it so that each player can only place 3 and removed oracles. We are however going to continue to let Teemo poop out wards that do damage on a 15 second cooldown

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cameron posted:

I think I'm gonna play Eve or Teemo until something gets done about that. It seems like it's just a nightmare now.

I was in a game against both last night. It was miserable.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SarutosZero posted:

Duelists.

The term's been around for a while, and there's a good reason you forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

inthesto posted:

Duelists.

The term's been around for a while, and there's a good reason you forgot about it.

It's apparently Light Fighters now.

• Locked thread