Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Genocyber posted:

Prepare to do this several more times.

If that's not enough for you it's one of those series that gets better the second time you watch it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

alcharagia posted:

hey remember when I said

well I just watched the musical episode and I want to amend that to the best thing ever

Muscular ET is the best alien design to ever come out of Japanese animation.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

alcharagia posted:

hey remember when I said

well I just watched the musical episode and I want to amend that to the best thing ever

what the gently caress do i amend this to after watching the episode where johnny yong bosch and space dandy form a cover band of the police

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Would you believe me if I said it got better?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Waffleman_ posted:

Would you believe me if I said it got better?

really can't think of any series that just keeps obliterating the bar every episode like Space Dandy. maybe True Detective

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

magic mountain posted:

really can't think of any series that just keeps obliterating the bar every episode like Space Dandy. maybe True Detective

For the majority, this is true. However, the second-to-last episode is probably the worst in the series. But the final episode makes up for it in a huge way.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Waffleman_ posted:

For the majority, this is true. However, the second-to-last episode is probably the worst in the series. But the final episode makes up for it in a huge way.

I agree but since it was just a setup for the finale the last two episodes are pretty much one in my opinion.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

An older post but does that matter since it was bankrolled by Cartoon Network? If it made them a significant enough profit they could always fund more (or a new show).

I got drunk with some of the VA's; drat they are cool.

Also some how bought a katana that mimics Akamge's sword, it was only 400 bucks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
episode 21 :wtf:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The 2nd season it stopped being funny and was just art. Like, I'm glad it exists. I watched it, I'm glad I did, but I never laughed. It was art watched for art's sake. It just wasn't funny, though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Krinkle posted:

The 2nd season it stopped being funny and was just art. Like, I'm glad it exists. I watched it, I'm glad I did, but I never laughed. It was art watched for art's sake. It just wasn't funny, though.

It was goddamn entertaining though, which counts more than just being funny. if it gripped you and held your interest until it ended then it did its job.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Krinkle posted:

I don't think I've ever disagreed with someone more in my life. :colbert:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

uh the first episode???

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Sorry I meant to say sometime during the second season it made this transition to a kind of rapt "holy poo poo am I watching a man paddle through a neon classical japanese wave painting, this is amazing, did someone spike my regular meds with super drugs what the gently caress even is going on here?"

There was nothing funny about that episode but it was still amazing. And I couldn't pinpoint the exact moment as I haven't gone back over the season and formatted my computer for none related accidental reasons but slowly I realized I hadn't laughed in a while. I didn't mean to suggest it was a cut and dry season 1/season 2 dichotomy.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
It definitely went beyond funny. I don't know where it went exactly but I'm going to go back there many times.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Dandy is like the best cosplay; I dunno how many people I have hung out with people in this.

Tara strong is P cool

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Dandy is like the best cosplay; I dunno how many people I have hung out with people in this.

Tara strong is P cool

Hahaha, that is an amazing red text. I don't know how you earned that but well done.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBXNXeyq18

Some of the best VA in the series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this is the same animation director who made the MEMEME video which makes sense,and I wish to see more of his work in the future

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

magic mountain posted:

Hahaha, that is an amazing red text. I don't know how you earned that but well done.

Welp some nerd was so pissed off they spent 10 bucks on some internet title!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

I really liked the golden dancing man and the episode's theme song.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Squallege posted:

I really liked the golden dancing man and the episode's theme song.

The golden dancing man was designed by fuckin Katsuhiro Otomo, of all people.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This is all making me want to rewatch space dandy :(

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hace posted:

This is all making me want to rewatch space dandy :(

Speaking of is there a way to buy the series yet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first half is up for sale. There's a regular edition, a Funi special edition with Boobies feelies, and an Amazon special edition with Aloha Oe feelies.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

cmykjester posted:

Speaking of is there a way to buy the series yet?

iTunes has both seasons.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Scarlet never got to see Karate Commando :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

alcharagia posted:

hey remember when I said

I actually thought the musical episode was easily the worst one, but I watched it dubbed maybe that's why

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want the hat that says Boobies on it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually thought the musical episode was easily the worst one, but I watched it dubbed maybe that's why

The musical episode was amazing and I watched it dubbed.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The musical episode was amazing and I watched it dubbed.

This. They nailed the tone perfectly. It was every stupid HS musical show/movie done as a random episode.

You have to take into account that making a musical is a huge pain in the rear end, as is dubbing it, even more so dubbing it in time for a simulcast. Putting together a competent musical episode as a random one-off joke is just such an awesome, stupid thing to do that you have to respect it.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

madmac posted:

Putting together a competent musical episode as a random one-off joke is just such an awesome, stupid thing to do that you have to respect it.

I didn't think of it like that, makes the effort they put in that much more amazing. The dancing at the end is so wonderfully animated.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The episode about Dandy's 4D ex-girlfriend actually kinda sucked

Edit: Dr. Gel's portions were hilarious though

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 2, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

The episode about Dandy's 4D ex-girlfriend actually kinda sucked

Edit: Dr. Gel's portions were hilarious though

I liked it better than the musical episode

To this day I haven't actually sat through any of the songs

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jesus

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is the most scandalous thing I've ever seen written on the entirety of the SA forums. :colbert:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i gotta agree, the musical episode was barely passable. also the songs sucked for the most part

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I really liked the musical episode, but I gotta say that the song just lost its magic after the first viewing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The finale was alright, I liked the court episode a lot though

• Locked thread