Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Azubah posted:

The robot was annoying? I thought he was charming with his autotuned voice.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or just a side-effect of the autotuning, but the robot totally sounded like a Portal turret at times which I thought was just great.

Can't wait for the next episode. With the introductions out of the way, it's gotta be nuts from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MadRhetoric posted:

Yeah, for Shift-JIS you enter in the kana for the word or phrase then spacebar until you get the right kanji. Not sure how it works on Asia-regioned phones, though.

Also, between this thread and the KlK thread, there sure are a lot of people who buy into Internet Hype, huh?

E: Seriously, I know comedy is subjective but what were y'all expecting? The director said the show was going to take notes from the most monkey-cheese episode of Bebop moreso than the serious ones.

I'm actually pretty seriously enjoying it. Yeah, the director did Bebop and a bunch of other things but my take away from the creative team behind this has been "there's a bunch of crazy talented people working on it, it's at least worth checking out" rather than "OMG THIS WILL BE EXACTLY LIKE THIS OTHER THING THIS GUY MADE!" which...I guess seems to be the reaction? Apparently people expect creative types to just keep making more of the same, rather than doing drastically different stuff.

Oh well, more Space Dandy for me then. My only disappointment so far has been that every episode doesn't end with them dying, but I'm willing to admit that might have gotten old anyway.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
My immediate thought when the alien cried into the soup was that his tears were hallucinogenic. The ramen showed Dandy that even ugly things can be beautiful on the inside.

buzmeg posted:

Huh? My Samsung Galaxy S3 does *exactly* this.

As I hit characters a list of words sits above the keyboard and changes with each character I type. If a word is blue (probability is high enough), I can hit spacebar, and it inserts that word.

Am I the only person who does this? I would go nuts if I had to communicate in l33tsp3ak all the time.

He was saying that that isn't how it works with Japanese (and I assume Chinese) cell phones. It's not predictive in the same way English phones are.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Steve Jorbs posted:

I thought it odd that he couldn't use his zappo laser gun for poo poo but once he transformed into the mecha he seemed at least semi-competent at piloting it.

It isn't that he's a bad shot. He's posing while firing. Those quick cuts of him in various poses, with scantily clad women and everything? That was how he sees the world around him as he's shooting. It's less that he can't shoot, and more that he figures if he looks cool and pulls the trigger everything should work out. However, everything is automatically way cooler if you're doing it in a giant robot so he doesn't have to bother with posing as much.

I get the feeling that Dandy is basically always balanced on the knife's edge of hyper-competency and supreme idiocy. He just tends to lean way more towards the latter most of the time.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Ep 3 was almost ruined by using "light-year" as a length of time (or was that just the dub?) but became the best so far after a short time.

As far as I know, until Zorak or somebody comes in and kicks me in the face for being stupid, you could actually do that. I forget the context of the scene (though I found it clunky too), but I would think because it's a measure of distance over time you could use it to tick off time (poorly) as well as track distance.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gorelab posted:

Dandy kinda seems like he's competent when he can stop trying to pose and act up all the time, but since he's usually too caught up in being stylish he kinda sabotages the crap out of himself.

I'm actually wondering if this won't even be a legitimate plot point eventually. I could see them pulling a Spike, where Dandy used to be someone important and competent before choosing to be, well...Dandy. That might even explain why he's being hunted, as he possesses either an item or knowledge that would be exceptionally dangerous.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Looks like it's gonna be a really emotional episode that will show us Dandy's true colors as we explore what life is like in this universe. Can't wait to be proven wrong and to see who bites it this time.

I almost hope it's just a completely serious, intimate, very heartwrenching episode.

Because that would be the funniest loving thing possible.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

onepixeljumpman posted:

I would like to see the episode where there's 50 or so alternate universe Dandies all standing in a circle firing at each other and missing horribly.

I'd watch it. Nothing but a looped animation of them all standing there shooting wildly for 22 minutes. Comedy gold.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

xanthan posted:

Did he say chesticles or was I hearing things?

That is exactly what he said.

This is a great show.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Level Slide posted:

You know how, with the exception of the first episode, all of the episodes ended with a "To Be Continued"? It could be possible that all of the episodes shown so far are each one half of a two parter. The second half of episodes could be chock full of continuity, although it would be a mystery as to which episode would be a continuation from their corresponding episode in the first half.

I don't know that I'd have thought of that myself, and I'm not sure I'd entirely buy it at present, but that is an interesting thought and just weird enough that I could see the show at least trying it once or twice.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Silentman0 posted:

I guess I'm in the minority, too. I've liked every episode so far! Maybe from now on don't take internet opinions as hard fact.

Ditto. I've been digging this series like crazy. I've missed the last couple episodes live, but that's more due to losing track of days. Even then I've made it a point to catch the episode as soon as it goes up on their site.

Not only have I liked every episode so far, though, I'd probably say the zombie one was my least favorite. Now, to be fair, I do mean it exactly as I say (it's my least favorite in a series of favorites) but I'm just not a crazy fan of zombies and probably missed a lot of the funnier references. That said, I did think it was clever and fun.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I'm pretty sure Dandy's official last name is now Bravo.

Or was Dandy always his last name and "Space" is his first name? Or is it in Japanese order and his last name is Space?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MrGreenShirt posted:

Screw the belt, Bandai. Gimme those fuckin' BOOTS!

I would sell organs for an American size 13 pair of those fuckin' boots. Goddamn if they ain't slick as all hell.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MadRhetoric posted:

How many last resorts can one man have?!

So you reach the Speed Force/Dandy Buddha with homoeroticism and steamed dumplings?

As many as one man needs!

Seems legit to me. How else are you supposed to do it?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Everything about that episode was great. I especially loved Eric Vale continuing his trend of voicing womaniziers named Prince, though at least this time he got to be successful and super-popular.

That ending, though. Goddamn, I saw where they were going with it and I just started laughing a full minute before my friends caught on. It was beautiful.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Darth Walrus posted:

anyone watch the subbed version and catch what the black-and-white plants were saying? Subtitles were in Japanese on the dub.

Were you watching it on Toonami? 'Cause they were in English for me. pandaK already got it, though.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Gotta go with Torque on this. Not that Viva Namida is bad, but I would definitely rather have an extended cut of that awesome track in the short US opening.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. It's not bad, I just really liked the US opening better. The ending is pretty lackluster, though, definitely.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

FortMax posted:

The piggest problem with this episode is that Dandy actually hit the thing he was trying to shoot with his raygun.

He didn't pose. So long as Dandy doesn't pose, he's perfectly competent.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ArcadePark posted:

I'm pretty sure the last sentence is all you need to sum this show up.

Yeah, there's a certain wonderful consistency to the show that I love, despite how weird and inconsistent it can get, and I think it really does just come down to that last sentence ultimately being the stable core of everything.

Space Dandy is a dandy guy in the space.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I didn't get a chance to see it last night, and just watched it.

Oh holy poo poo. That was, quite possibly, the best episode yet. I'm a little sad they didn't make it a two-parter and spend more time with all the Dandys, but it was still fantastic. And next week looks great too, in a very different way. I think that's my favorite part about this show, each episode is something completely different but it manages to all feel like part of the same whole.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not some kinda pop culture guru, but uh, I think they were supposed to reference Michael Jackson.

Because Space Dandy is weird.

It makes sense, Michael Jackson was pretty drat dandy too.

Am I the only one that thinks Michael Jackson Dandy being a little boy (or looking like one) was another level to the joke?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
The river of time keeps on flowin', baby.

Also I still like how the narrator is an actual character who will be called out when he starts rambling stupid bullshit, and vice versa.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah--it makes his 'go with the flow' attitude feel a lot more genuine. If he were always a complete buffoon it'd be one thing, but episodes like this really sell the fact that Dandy is just a preposterously chill guy.

Isn't this the first episode where we've seen Dandy actually get very serious and very angry? He really seemed to take Meow and QT being turned to stone badly. Then again my theory is still that at one point Dandy was a hyper-competent something-or-other, basically Spike but way more laid back.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He got pretty serious and pissed when those people were trying to abduct the alien girl who put people into stuffed animals, but he was a stuffed animal at the time.

Oh yeah, right. I feel stupid now, because I actually compared the tone of this episode to that episode with some friends.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think I'd go with...

First Episode: Although maybe not the best individually, this really does set up a lot of character beats that really help later episodes out, like Dr. Jell chasing Dandy, or how Dandy and Meow met. Plus, 'and then they all died' in the first episode is a great way to set expectations regarding continuity.

Space Chameleon: Really good humor episode, I personally like it more than the Zombie one, though that's also great.

Little Girl: I think this episode really showcases the range the show has.

Really, it's tough to do just three--if you can go up to 4, I'd put Space Race between Space Chameleon and Little Girl. I adore Endless Meow, but you really need some level of investment in the characters for that, and I think that means seeing another more serious episode first.

I have to agree with your picks, and especially your last point. It's why I wouldn't recommend Crisis on Infinite Dandys either, it takes some familiarity with the trio to really get all the differences.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Spectacle Rock posted:

I can't believe that episode just happened.

This is more or less what I was thinking the entire time. It's been a while since an episode of Space Dandy caused me to just sit, stare, and go "what the gently caress is happening at me?" but here we are.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Srice posted:

Yeah, and in that order too.

Fairly sure Dandy performed better when it was airing at 11:30 in its first season instead of 12:30.

I was a lot more likely to stay up and watch Dandy at an earlier time. I've just been grabbing it from their site lately. It might only be an extra hour and a half, but that's a nice bit of sleep I'd be missing.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Genocyber posted:

How does this show top itself every episode

Every episode I go, man, this is just loving amazing. There is on way it can get better next week, and I'm okay with that.

And then the next episode is even better. And yet! That doesn't diminish the episodes before either! Each episode is itself better than the on before and the one after, endlessly, in space.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I loving love this show, I really do.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Barudak posted:

It explains that in Space Dandy when they jump across the universe they don't actually; they find a version of themselves already in the proper position in some other equivalently similar universe and merge into it (exactly how Limbo ended, now that I think about it). Dandy, at least, seems special because he knows that's how it actually operates. Wild guess is that Dandy is Dandy because all Dandy's are co-merged constantly. I base this off absolutely nothing other than the framing of the show and that when he was on the dead planet there were infinite Dandy's on the boat instead of one.

That's definitely an interesting way to approach "warp" technology. It seems, based on Meow being sick, that it's possible for people to notice something upon repeated warps too. That said, Catherine pretty directly stated that Dandy isn't special when it comes to warping, beyond having figured it out. I suspect he might have figured it out while he was dead, actually, since the solution there was pretty much literally the same thing as warping.

That said, I do still believe there's something special about Dandy. It's probably tied both to warping and the cosmic string. My wild, batshit insane guess is that Space is Dandy. All universes, all cosmic threads, ultimately connect back to (a) Dandy and all Dandy's connect back to each other as we saw in the first episode of this season.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Silentman0 posted:

The only thing I might have noticed is that they implied that Dandy may be older than he looks.

Yeah, it kind of seemed like QT was suggesting that when talking about how old Paul had to be if he was an old friend of Dandy's. I could see him being in his late thirties, even.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm already starting my own space program.

That's great, but Space Fowl doesn't have the same ring to it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Babe Magnet posted:

Probably something small that'll get an episode dedicated to it in season 3

oh wait

oh

It's okay, they'll actually have it be the focal point of the movie instead.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Winky posted:

And that's the Dandy way, baby.

I feel like we're a couple fancy hats away from a cult now.

gently caress it, why not? We'll see where it goes.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The fancy hat is the Boobies trucker hat.

Groovy, baby. So when's the first meeting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Magnus Condomus posted:

I just realized thats actually Ian SinDandy irl playing Dandy

This doesn't surprise me. He seems like a pretty cool dude all around, definitely the Dandy sort.

• Locked thread