Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Glazius posted:

So as we proceed through the game are we going to encounter more and different summonable demons with better race skills, or have we got a fairly fixed selection from near the start?

We've seen maybe 2/3 of the demon races, give or take. As for Race Skills, there's more to those than we've seen this early in the game and that's all I'll say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there an LP of the first Devil Survivor?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tithin Melias posted:

Is there an LP of the first Devil Survivor?

It's one of those LPs that's been attempted many times but runs out of steam early on.

You don't need to worry, though; the two games are as independent from one another as any main-line Shin Megami Tensei games are. The demons and whatnot are largely similar, and obviously art assets are reused (the evil-looking police officer makes way more sense existing in the first game than in this one) but they're entirely unrelated stories that just happen to both involve Japan being the center of an apocalypse.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No, I'm aware. I got most of the way through the first game

Fought and killed Beelzebub on one of the good guys routes, then got to the next fight and realising I was utterly hosed

I was mainly curious to see what I missed, and the games ending.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wait, you had problems with Belberith after beating Belzaboul? But he's like the easiest Bel map, I don't know what to say or do about that.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Speaking of Devil Survivor progress, a couple days ago my Overclocked save file somehow got erased when I was reloading to retry one of the fights with Kudlak and Kresnik.

I don't want to start the game over a third time.

:negative:

I swear I've been having more trouble with that drat game, got through this one no problem. Never going to see the whole thing at this rate.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feinne posted:

Wait, you had problems with Belberith after beating Belzaboul? But he's like the easiest Bel map, I don't know what to say or do about that.

He's not alone, I remember finding Belberith to be the tougher fight; Belzaboul fight was easy as poo poo.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Genocyber posted:

He's not alone, I remember finding Belberith to be the tougher fight; Belzaboul fight was easy as poo poo.

Honestly the only tough Bels are Belial and Jezebel to me, the others are all pretty laughable. Yes even the first one, just like the Matador in Nocturne it's only hard if you don't make any efforts to prepare for it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Tuesday's Disquiet (Intro)

[Music: Exploration]

Kuze, I'm coming in. Oh... Whoops.
Pervert!

...Okay, fine, this is the "wrong" answer but it's worth it so who cares.

I may have rushed you because I was in a hurry to let you know...
Perhaps because I've lived at JP's for so long... I may lack the normal niceties...

Makoto hesitates...

What's this about?

Not just him, either. We can't raise anyone in the Nagoya branch.
There's speculation that some kind of problem has arisen...
Are they dead?
That's possible, but highly improbable. Still, we don't know just what's going on.

Want me to go?
You'd go to Nagoya? But...

[Music: Connected Hearts]

But... I don't want you kids to get any more involved....
Let's do this!
Wh...!? Kuze...

All right.
...Thank you. I promise you we'll send reinforcements the moment we can spare them.

Makoto leaves the room...

The compendium is a wonderful addition that wasn't in the original Devil Survivor (it was thankfully added to the Overclocked remake at least). With this in hand, there's not much point to using the Auction any more. The only real exceptions are if we need something cheap or a skill we don't have normally.

The compendium also does something nice and gives us a minor explanation about the real mythology behind any demon registered in it. Nothing in-depth but a good entry point to help out if you know absolutely nothing about it.

And with that, we're bringing this opening to a close. Now, there are 4 events here and we have enough time to do 2. We can push it to 3 at a stretch, but like always there's a catch.

The fourth event opens up after we do one of these. It also gives us a neat reward... but therein lies the problem. If we do either Io's or Joe's event (or even both), then that fourth event changes slightly, and we miss the reward until a second playthrough. I'm fine with either, but as always:

The decision is yours to make.
:siren: :siren:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh boy, a very special thing is coming up soon potentially!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Feinne posted:

I honestly kinda cheesed the Belzaboul fight - I loaded one dude with pierce and all the physical +crit I could find, and only just barely scraped through the fight. Then I loaded the next map and saw what awaited me, and just kinda threw up my hands. I had no problems with everything in the game leading up to that, but I just kinda saw the bullshit waiting for me and went, yeah, I'm done.

It didn't help I was going for a "balanced" build, I didn't find out until much much later that Magic & Holy Dance break the game over its knee.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Feinne posted:

He's easy to kill if you use Genma/Avian demons to rush him right away, but if you don't bring those along then I can definitely see him causing some trouble (especially if you're also trying to crack some skills off the regular demons on that map).

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Tithin Melias posted:

I honestly kinda cheesed the Belzaboul fight - I loaded one dude with pierce and all the physical +crit I could find, and only just barely scraped through the fight. Then I loaded the next map and saw what awaited me, and just kinda threw up my hands. I had no problems with everything in the game leading up to that, but I just kinda saw the bullshit waiting for me and went, yeah, I'm done.

It didn't help I was going for a "balanced" build, I didn't find out until much much later that Magic & Holy Dance break the game over its knee.

"Balance" is almost always a bad idea in SMT games in general: demons and characters are much more useful when they can do a single thing extremely well rather than everything kind of okay. This is doubly so in the Devil Survivor games, because maps are largely balanced around being able to pick your fights, match up exactly to the enemy's weakness and twist the knife at every opportunity.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Um, are you sure that condition is right?

I know that the optional boss runs away if you're not alone, but the Correct responses to Joe and Io's events mean they stay out of your party until Nagoya.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Silenced before they could even get word back to JPs? They must have been jumped by something powerful.

Or at least something with an EMP.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just read the entire LP and I'm really happy someone's LPing this (again). I've never played it, but it sure looks interesting.

Also, a small thing, in the second to last update, every time Hibiki is mentioned, you wrote "Hiro" instead, Dragonatrix.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, a small thing, in the second to last update, every time Hibiki is mentioned, you wrote "Hiro" instead

Whoops. Good catch, fixed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

NaGhostya Q

I'm not even remotely surprised that Makoto absolutely stole the victory this time around. And, yes, the other half of what we're getting done is technically accessible if we picked either Io or Joe and got one dialogue prompt right, but this way it's guaranteed and I don't need to read the AlphaWiki to make doubly-sure I got it right.

...Reinforcements have appeared in Sector B. We're not prepared for the number.
What? How is this being handled?
The members there are in combat with them... What should we do?
I'll go. You go take care of other issues.
All right, good luck.

The member leaves...

I'm going there myself, before even more damage is done...
Hmm?

A woman runs over...

...What happened?
My friend's hurt... She can't walk to the evacuation center...!
You're on the rescue team, right?

[Music: Silence]

...I'll tell you where the SDF is stationed. I want you to go to them.
Huh...? But aren't you...

[Music: In The Devastated Town]

What...!? I don't believe this...!

Makoto draws a map on a piece of paper and hands it to the woman...

I'm sure you can get help here. I'll let them know you're coming.
Fine! I'll go! If that's what you want, fine!

The woman snatches the map from Makoto and storms off...

Makoto watches the woman walk away...

Don't worry about it.
Are you trying to comfort me? Don't feel like you have to... but thanks, anyway.
I'm a member of JP's. I have to keep my priorities in order.
I know it's selfish to ask you to accept it... ...I have to go.

Makoto quietly walks away...

Before we go to our next event, there's a bit of prep work we need to do. Not much, but still. Namely, we're removing everyone from teams 2 through 4. This is actually important, and makes the next bit possible and not a complete slog.

Won't stop me complaining, because it gets really annoying, but whatever.

See, we have a fight here. But it's a very special fight.

[Music: A Moment of Rest]

Queue! Cue kyoo! A fun-filled Q...! Heeheehee!

We can totally take this opportunity to leave here, but that's silly. Why would you ever do that?

Boo-njour!
"Boo-njour"!? Wow! Your puns are even worse than mine!

Despite his name, Ghost Q is not, in fact, a ghost. He is, however, a cheating cheater who cheats.

I've made up my mind... I'm gonna beat you up!
Why don't you try it?
All right! We're gonna have a fair, one-on-one fight!

...Th-that's an Abraxas. That poo poo is level 19! This is not a fair one-on-one fight at all!

In fact, it's so unfair he summons 5 sets of demons and will run away in the pre-fight scene if you bring Io or Joe here with you. And if you do that, you still gotta fight the demons but don't get the reward for doing so.

[Music: Confrontation]

So we get our first optional boss fight. And we gotta do it solo. What fun.

Out of the crackable skills, Force Dance is the obvious choice to get here. It's the best option available and it helps us out in this very fight even.

Because Ghost Q is a level 26 demon who resists every other element we have a dance for. We can't even get Fire Dance until we go to Nagoya anyway, so that's out.

Ghost Q is a Fiend. Fiends are primarily boss dudes who suck to fight, and aren't anywhere near as good when you get them (there is one exception, which we'll get to much later). They were exclusively bosses in Devil Survivor 1 and their racial skill let them hit from a range of 3 but couldn't move. The race itself is primarily based around things that aren't actually mythological deities or creatures. Things like Dante. As in Devil May Cry's Dante.

Neither of these things hold true here. Ghost Q is one of a whole 2 fiends who aren't based on mythology (the other being the final one) and their racial skill here is Uncanny Form. Uncanny Form costs something ridiculous like 80% the user's max MP to get what is effectively a second turn then and there i.e. you can move and attack again like your turn just started. Fiends still kinda suck to fight, still are not even half as good when you can use them, have gently caress all MP even discounting how expensive Uncanny Form is and the best one is NG+ exclusive.

I really wish we could crack Beast Eye here. I would have cracked that instead. It's a really, really good passive ability that lets you get 2 hits per skirmish. So 2 normally or 4 with an Extra Turn. But, of course, its enemy only so we never get it.

The fight itself requires we play very, very smart so I'm letting the Waira come to me via its Devil Speed. Making it waste its own HP like this makes killing it that tiny bit easier and lets us nab Force Dance with less hassle.

Like so. This is most likely the only fight where I won't be focusing on wiping out every demon in the enemy formations. Not only is it a massive bother to do, it wastes our MP which is hard to restore right now (Angel gives like 11 a turn via Blood Wine) and would give Hibiki absurd amounts of EXP.

He gets a ton either way, but at least this way it's not quite as crazy.

The Toubyou enemy unit has 2 of those things in it, for all that doesn't matter. It tried to sneak up behind us, but we're not exactly going to let that happen.

Aquans has the MP to spare throwing Ice Dances around. They're not gonna help against Ghost Q anyway so he can focus on this and healing quite nicely.

It's hard to see, but the Toubyou in the middle took 81 damage. It's quite dead.

The only enemy unit left that poses anything resembling a problem right now is the Moh Shuvuu. Not only can it keep pace with us thanks to Flight, but that Makara stops us moving at a nice speed too.

We'll focus on killing the Makara right now and kill the Shuvuus as they try and attack us.

Like so. They should get in the way less, and they'd survive a bit more.

At this point we're within range of hitting Ghost Q, so we're gonna do something a bit special here. See, he has Nigayomogi and can actually hit with it. We want to mitigate that a bit.

Aquans is pretty useless in that particular skirmish, so he leaves the party now. This seems like a bad thing, since it leaves Hibiki with just Angel but...

Hibiki can then turn around and summon a new second demon.

The catch, of course, is that it cannot be a demon in any team. Even if Teams 2, 3 and 4 have no leader and aren't fielded their demons are still offlimits.

I opted to summon Waira here, because he's immune to Mystic and so cannot be poisoned. Or paralysed.

[Music: Shudder]

Oh and Ghost Q is fast. So fast, in fact, that he gets his two hits in before anyone on the party gets to attack. Also he gets Extra Turns because of course he does. Bear that in mind.

Ah well, at least he used his first attack to use Nigayomogi. It only affected Angel, which is annoying but managable.

His second attack, of course, is a bit more of a nuisance but we'll live.

Ghost Q has 350 HP, so he's not very hardy. Once you get to fight him, he falls pretty fast. The hard part is getting to him.

And since he has no weaknesses, you can't really get reliable extra turns. At least Waira's balance lets him punch Q pretty hard.

No, what makes Ghost Q a pain is that he takes the rules we thought we knew and throws them out the window. Because he can then proced to do this:

He has an attack range of 3. Looking at his skills, you would not know he has an attack range of 3. Being a Fiend in this game does not grant an attack range of 3 (I double-checked just to make sure; no, he has an attack range of 3 purely because this is a boss fight). This is just a big ol' gently caress you to anyone who thought they could cheese it by bringing a Dragon and plinking away at a range. He will be able counter you, take a step back and then attack you safely.

Other bosses at least tell you that this is a thing they can do.

Oh and he STILL gets Extra Turns even at range. So with Beast Eye that lets him hit you four times with you unable to do poo poo about it. Ghost Q is your wake-up call that boss fights are actual threats rather than marginally tougher than normal.

He just goes about it by blindsiding you with things you had no real way of knowing about. At least he only comes on his own, and crumples in like 2 skirmishes max once you can hit him.

One last thing: you might think at this point to save him for last. Ahahahaha of course that's not an option. If you kill the other demons first, Ghost Q runs. You can try and stop him, but he's faster than you, and will hit you from a range knocking your turns back so you can't catch him.

Once Q is beaten, the only hard part left is taking out whatever's left. It just happens that in this particular case that would be a level 19 Abraxas that has full HP and MP.

Their dual-weakness of Elec and Force makes it clear that we need to Force Dance in this instance. Abraxas are also relatively balanced between physical and magic so they can't hit us quite as hard as anything dedicated towards one or the other.

The Gagysons would be a potential threat if they ever tried to do anything, but they have a tendency of dying perhaps a bit sooner than they'd have liked.

The final enemy team is 2 Tenong Cuts and a Makara. Compared to almost everything else, they're colossal pushovers. At least now we're done with this.

What could the demon just now have been...?

You decide to leave...

And our reward is getting to fuse Ghost Q himself. At level 26. That ain't happening for a while.

Plus side, is that Hibiki gained 3 levels so he can relax a bit for now. That gives us access to like 7 new demons, including Bai Suzhen who you may remember from when we saved Daichi's rear end way, way back on Sunday.

One of the three level 19 demons is another one of my particular favourites for this part of the game. She gains Diarama (the mid-tier healing spell) at level 20, which sounds like a problem but we do have an add-on that helps with that.

By fusing Angel and Heqet together, and adding the Lv+1 Add-On we start with, we get a Sarasvati who has Diarama already. She's also the lowest level Goddess Megami demon, which have the Affection racial skill. Affection restores a lot of HP and cures all ailments on any team up to 4 spaces away.

Affection is really, really good. I like it more than Devotion right now, but for pure healing Devotion's better at higher levels.

I also buy back Angel from the compendium, since we'll be using her a bit more.

We can't make Q yet, but he's special in that there is exactly one way to make him. Let's see just what that combination is so we can get it rea-

Oh. Well, so much for that then.

Since we're gonna fuse a fair few things now, let's take the opportunity to grind up some free money from Data Cards in the Free Battle.

This map is kind enough to place them exactly 6 spaces away from your closest starting point. Flight on its own looks like it should be enough to get you there, but its not because the perspective in these maps is weird at times.

This one also doesn't even give us money. It just hands us Berserk. Like, the skill itself doesn't need cracking any more. Data Cards are nice like that, but it doesn't give you anything too major. (Edit: Except for once, at the very backend of the game. We'll get to that when it comes up.)

Time to fuse a whole lot of new things since we can. We'll start by fusing a 5-star Gagyson and a Toubyou from the compendium to make a Nekomata who doesn't have an Electric weakness.

I opted to make a Bai Suzhen as well by combining Angel with Jambavan. Grimoire's going to be a nice skill when we unlock it, even if Suzhen herself can't make use of it. It makes ailments more likely to stick, so poison/paralysis/etc. skills work much more often. Once we get it, it becomes part of a power trio of skills that completely wrecks everything it can work on.

Also that 17 strength is impressive, but...

I also made an Ubelluris who hits stuff even harder by combining Angel and Mokoi. Ubelluris is the first Kishin, and his racial skill is Double Up.

This is a pretty nice skill in that it lets you use the Attack command twice in a single turn, albeit with the usual turn delay penalty in both instances. It has its uses and even if it didn't, Ubelluris can punch stuff REAL hard so he'd be worth it for that alone.

Bai Suzhen and yet another Angel makes Abraxas (the second reason I love Angels is they become so many neat things). This particular one would easily murder himself if given the chance, though Force Dance is a default skill for some reason.

I also bought back Bai Suzhen and even more Angel from the Compendium. Suzhen to use, and Angel because, well, she makes good fusion fodder. There's one in particular I want to make with her, but it works best once I have access to Grimoire. We could make it now, since it's a level 18 demon, but I'd rather hold off for the time being. Let Suzhen soak up the EXP as I grind up characters who are lagging behind Hibiki (i.e. everyone).

We can do that much easier, hell we can do that period, at Nagoya, so let's go.

[Music: JPs -Geomagnetism Research Department-]

Ah... Hibiki. Um, I heard about the Nagoya trip from Makoto...

If we spoke with Io earlier, the "Let's hurry." option would be replaced by the actual right answer. As is, neither of these is really right. Oh well.

Daichi's in danger.
Yeah... We should hurry and get to Nagoya.

Io joins your party.

Hey guys, sorry! I'm really late, huh? Hahaha...
It's okay.
Haha, thanks. I appreciate you letting it slide.

Joe joins your party.

...Everyone's here now. Thank you all for your cooperation.
Think nothing of it.
...That helps me breathe a little easier.
About the Nagoya branch... We still haven't made contact and don't know the situation.

I'm not getting my hopes up.
That's the spirit! Well, you can handle this, and I'll stay behind in Tokyo!
Joe... Come on. Can we get going now?
Awww, Io's giving me the cold shoulder... *sniff*

...We don't know that either. As of now, we haven't the least idea of what's happening.
Ah, okay. Well, either way, looks like we'll have to go scope it out ourselves.

What?
...I'm sorry for getting you guys involved with this. Be careful out there.
Sure.

The journey to Nagoya is completely uneventful, and since we saw the area card when we dropped off Daichi before you'll just have to take my word that we're there already.

...Isn't here.
Yeah. I'm worried about Daichi, too.
Hmm... Doesn't look like the cell phones are getting any bars, either.
...?

Why can't we contact the Nagoya branch? What's going on?
Is the base station ruined?
...All right, now that we know what's going on, let's go home!

Right... I know. I was just kidding. Ha ha ha... Ha?
...But isn't there a good chance that something happened to the Nagoya JP's branch?
Yeah... We don't know where the base station is...
But if JP's is safe, they wouldn't let it stay down like this...
Let's find some intel.

Nagoya's a nice and action-packed place. So much so, in fact, that we're going to be relatively railroaded for a bit...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 10, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, bullshit boss battles. It wouldn't be a Shin Megami Tensei game without them.

But yeah, Ghost Q can eat a bag of dicks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's impossible to fail Unkillable on Ghost Q but even with that in mind he's a jerk.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Okay, now let's talk about Versus Q.

So, it goes without saying that you cannot lose Unkillable against Ghost Q, because the only party you could lose is also your only party. It's definitely the most problematic fight so far, though, and is a great fight to illustrate a concept I touched on briefly before, turn locking. Turn locking is something that can occur when one party is being targeted by multiple parties consecutively and is a result of how participating in a skirmish impacts the turn order. Since we're alone against multiple enemies, it's really easy to get in a situation here where the enemies get multiple turns for every one we take. Where this is a problem is that, as noted, Ghost Q has a huge goddamn range and uses it. So, we get skirmishes against him where we aren't allowed to act, which can be a real problem if you weren't able to heal up during the other skirmishes. Your best bet is to take things down to one or two enemy parties besides Q, as Dragonatrix did, which should limit their ability to gently caress you over. As noted he's pretty fragile once you start beating on him, so just kick his teeth in quick and be done with it. And GET FORCE DANCE I cannot stress this enough, it's 100% necessary to have any chance in hell against one of the bosses later on and you might as well get it now. The worst part is that after you do all this Ghost Q is garbage (as with pretty much every Fiend in this game honestly) and honestly probably not worth the effort of fusing. There are much better demons in his level range that actually serve a purpose at all.

Dragonatrix noted that you can get skills from data cards in Free Battles, but actually got one thing a bit wrong. There is at least one skill late in the game that actually only comes from the memory cards in a particular Free Battle, there will never be an enemy on any path that will have it set.

Also I strongly approve of using that Level+ on Sarasvati because Megami are the best and more Megami is more good. I might actually have had a Sarasvati with every party for a while on this day, because they're amazing casters and healers who are also pretty sturdy. Though recall I'm a crazy person who always looks for 100% no risk boring as mud strategies.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 6, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Q is a right bastard. That said, he gets Shudder, which is still some awesome boss music.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Feinne posted:

There is at least one skill late in the game that actually only comes from the memory cards in a particular Free Battle, there will never be an enemy on any path that will have it set.

Oh, really? I've never bothered to get every skill before, so I probably just missed that entirely. Other than like one passive skill, I can't think of any that were awkward to get, after all, and I never got it from a card.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh, really? I've never bothered to get every skill before, so I probably just missed that entirely. Other than like one passive skill, I can't think of any that were awkward to get, after all, and I never got it from a card.

Yeah, lategame one of the Auto Skills is only available through memory cards.

I don't think I've ever used a Fiend in this game, even the one good one

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

As I recall it's the one that auto-casts Prayer at the start of each skirmish.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Feinne posted:

As I recall it's the one that auto-casts Prayer at the start of each skirmish.

This is in fact what it is. I remember this skill in particular because it actually managed to get me into an unloseable, unwinnable situation in the first game's final battle on Yuzu's route.

I don't like that skill.

But it's good when you get it, of course

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What fuses to make Fiend Q, exactly? Or is it more a matter of "Q is the rank 4 Fiend, can't fuse otherwise"?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

What fuses to make Fiend Q, exactly? Or is it more a matter of "Q is the rank 4 Fiend, can't fuse otherwise"?

He's specifically Jack Frost and a demon we haven't seen yet called Ogun and no other possible combination. Special fusions in this game are almost always really annoying, by the way, because it tends to make it really hard to actually make the demon any good.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Fun fact: undeployed leader characters gain 80% Hibiki's experience, plus or minus the usual level modifier. So the lag will be less than you'd think.

And yes, this does lead "some people" to play solo-Hibiki runs because technically that earns everyone more total experience...
even though only Hibiki benefits from it because everyone else is benched the whole game...
but hey, I never did this. Nope. Not even once. Certainly not four consecutive playthroughs. That would be just silly.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

distactedOne posted:

And yes, this does lead "some people" to play solo-Hibiki runs because technically that earns everyone more total experience...
even though only Hibiki benefits from it because everyone else is benched the whole game...
but hey, I never did this. Nope. Not even once. Certainly not four consecutive playthroughs. That would be just silly.

I did this more in Devil Survivor 1, where the whole turn-locking problem didn't exist. I tried to do it once in this game, but I gave up after my fourth battle reduced to standing in a single spot while enemies repeatedly threw themselves at me and kept me from getting a single turn.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

There's a fight later in the game thats good to solo with Hibiki, since the overflow experience and setup of the battle itself makes powerleveling for the bonus boss much easier. I'd highly reccomend doing it on new game plus though. I'll point it out when we get there, but it won't be for a while.

A bit more on topic, Ghost Q sucks. Both the fight and the demon itself, which is a shame since its racial ability sounds fantastic but is hampered quite a bit.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I can only remember one fight in the game where turn-locking was actually the main challenge and we will not be getting there for a while.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

alcharagia posted:

I can only remember one fight in the game where turn-locking was actually the main challenge and we will not be getting there for a while.

There's at least one fight where the Unkillable strategy is to turn lock the enemy using sorcery.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Feinne posted:

There's at least one fight where the Unkillable strategy is to turn lock the enemy using sorcery.

Oh, no, I meant the enemy turn-locking me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

alcharagia posted:

Challenge, certainly. There's only one, maybe two battles in the entire game where it's an issue that could lead you to a game over. The problem is when you get turnlocked and enemies just run face first into you it's annoying.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Legato Attacca

Now that we're in Nagoya, we can pick up our last elemental dance for quite a while. All we're missing of them now is the Almighty one, and that's not turning up anytime soon.

And as an added bonus, we get a neat add-on. Fire Set lets us pick from every Fire oriented move we have cracked when fusing a new demon. Naturally, there's one for Ice/Elec/Force as well and they're all good for either patching up a major weakness, or doing some... other things that we'll see later.

For now we have something else to deal with. Nagoya front ends a fair bit of its plot. Let's do this thing!

It's a small thing, but I like how you can see Takashimaya over to the side the entire time. It's just a chain of department stores, and they're all over Japan... but very few in Nagoya, oddly enouh. There was even one in New York for a while, but it closed in 2010.

I fixate on weird things sometimes.

Phrew... Things aren't as bad as I was afraid of, but no progress at all isn't great...
I agree.

But we can't find JP's and we have no idea what's going on. Yep... it's a pickle...

Hm...! Um, Hibiki... That's...

...There you are! I'm not letting you go now...!

[Music: Heroes Have No Fear]

Agh...! That girl's really persistent!
Wuh-oh... What should we do? Is she with JP's?
Hey, you guys!
A-Are you talking to us?
Who else would I be talking to!? Who are you guys!?

We're with JP's.
What...? So you're on my side? Then help me!

Those guys took our food! We can't let them get away with that! Help me get it back!

We have to break their phones so they can't fight anymore! I'm counting on you!
Wow... Hahaha... Someone's full of energy... I guess we should get moving, then.
Dammit...! What should we do!?

A-All right! I'll take care of the guys downstairs.
You take the food and run out of the top level!
No...! They're going to take the food... Let's catch them, Hibiki...!

The escape point only applies for the guy with the box. It's incredibly unlikely that he'll ever get there though.

[Music: Battle of the Brave]

It's also incredibly unlikely that Airi'll even come close to losing on this map. I find it a bit weird that box guy escaping isn't a lose condition though.

Out of all the skills here, the two we really want are Anti-Force and Tailwind. We can get Anti-Force later if we miss it here but that leads to... problems. Tailwind's an Auto Skill so that's a given.

I picked Multi-Hit for my third, but Mow Down's probably better since the wait for its next chance is a bit longer. Not by much, but we can get Multi-Hit immediately after this if need be. Same with Sexy Gaze which is why I skipped on that here.

In order to get Anti-Force, having Devil Speed is basically mandatory. The lady who has it has a Waira and will immediately pop Devil Speed of her own and beeline towards Airi.

That being this lady. After she does that, Airi's most likely to destroy her entire party and we don't want that.

That means that taking down at least Waira ASAP is a priority. The Toubyou is hilariously outdated at this point, though.

Not that it matters when our party's probably a bit too powerful for this map.

Airi's only level 18 and she's still able to trash these guys. We're at 20. Makes a big difference!

Of course, with her out of the way we have a new problem. Even though sending Hibiki cowboying out was necessary here it leaves him very vulnerable.

Very vulnerable. There aren't that many people on the map, but when there's a good chance of 3 of them ganging up on him that becomes a problem.

...Admittedly, it does seem more like a problem for them than anything else.

They can still put up a bit of a fight if they try. Lilim in particular has Sexy Gaze and that can inflict Charm on the entire party. That's what we really want to avoid. Charm isn't quite as overpowered here as it is in other games because it only lasts for one skirmish, but attacking your own party randomly or healing the enemy is never good.

Surprisingly this lady opted to attack Joe here. Kinda expected that she'd jump Hibiki as well. Not complaining.

...Paral Eyes is a dumb name, but I'll be damned if it doesn't get results.

Gozuki is the level 18 Touki demon. It hits hard, but that's about it. Has lots of inconvenient weaknesses and I don't like it much.

The poor foodguy stands no chance at getting away. He just runs up the escalator, but...

Airi's gonna cut him off so he runs back down it again.

While that's happening, this guy's picking on Io. I'm glad he's trying to do that, because that means she can nab Multi-Hit.

Like so. Poor guy never really stood a chance, though he did have Fire Dance so he should've tried that.

Come Io's actual turn, she's got an easy mark to finish off. This lady's entire team is still paralysed and thoroughly crippled, making it kind of a joke.

Abraxas getting the finishing blow shows that even now Sacrifice still isn't that great.

Joe snipes the Salaryman from a safe distance thanks to Suzhen's Evil Wave and we get an interesting new skill.

Tailwind, like Hustle, benefits our chances at evading and hitting... but it does it in a different way. It's a flat +5 to Agility unlike Hustle's 25% increase. This means that until ~20 Agility, it's actually a bit better. Giving it to Joe right now would mean that his Agility would count as 17 for example.

But, eh, he's fine with Hustle. Io needs it a bit more since she has exactly 6 Agility. Hibiki could also use it right now but he doesn't have that 6 required. :v:

Airi's able to catch the guy after he ran back down and she's gonna be more useful than Keita was, right?

Well, yeah, but it's not like that's hard. Also I could've sworn her demons were
not a Sarasvati and an Angel. I distinctly remember her having a Kijimunaa but I guess I'm misremembering or something.

Much more importantly, let's just take this guy out and finish this.

Yeah, that'll do it. That'll do it pretty well.

Of course, he's the only one here we didn't "have" to beat.

But it doesn't make a difference one way or the other, really.

Letting the boxdude escape, intentionally, is actually harder than it sounds. All it changes is one map later today which will have that guy pop back up. Not worth the hassle.

We don't even gain enough EXP for anyone else to level up. At least Suzhen picked up Diarama thanks to this.

[Music: Over the Brink of Death]

Airi comes over to talk to you...

We're backup.
Huh... You don't quite seem the type. You're really JP's?
Oh, um...

Huh, is that so? But... aren't you guys a little late? Wish you'd have shown up sooner...
I'm sorry.
Oh, that's not what I meant. It's nothing to apologize over...

Overrun?
Who did this?
Oh, yeah. Well, you know how there's a shortage of food and medicine already?

He put together a mob and attacked us. Since then, the whole group's been scattered.
Ronaldo... Kuriki? He's the one leading the mob...?
Yeah, that's what it sounded like. He was giving the orders, so I'd say he was the leader.
Anything else?
Hmm, I don't know. It's been all I can do just to fight back... and here I am now.

Grrr... He's so stupid! He's always going off alone and getting into some real scrapes!
I see... So there was a riot in Nagoya.
And since the Nagoya branch members were scattered, we lost contact with them...

Find Jungo and the others.
Yeah, sounds good... Hokay, let's add these other guys to the list of people to find.
I don't think we can do what we came for without knowing more about Nagoya's problems.
Huh, really? I'd be grateful if you would. I'll do my part to find the others, too!

Yeah, so Airi doesn't join our party at the moment. Not really complaining, but we'll get to that soon enough.

...We should get going too, Hibiki. It's probably best if we hurry...

You all leave the area...

Alrighty, so Hibiki hit level 21 in that last fight. That means we need to fuse some new stuff again.

Sarasvati and Wairi make hee-veryone's favourite adorable mascot, ho! Just to add to the fun, hee's half of what we must use to make Ghost Q.

It's kinda weird how Jack Frost has the first Ma- spell we've seen. It's just a really expensive version of regular Bufu that hits everything in the enemy party. Everything. I'm sure you can see the glaring flaw in this.

Bai Suzhen and Ubelleris give us Ictinike. Ictinike is a Genma and, like all Genmas, is a physical powerhouse. Quick Move is a neat passive ability that means Ictinike's speed in battle increases. I'm sure you can see why I gave him Multi-Hit.

Completely random, but Ictinike is one of the very
very few demons in the series that's based on Native American mythology.

And, lastly, Sarasvati and Angel give us Apis. Apis is, uh, not that great. It being Unique and an Avatar is a pretty lovely combination, honestly. I wouldn't want more than one anyway, but Unique implies its actually quite good for its level (or just good in general).

Apis definitely isn't that.

Oh well, let's see if we can squeeze in a second fight.

Daichi's nowhere to be found. This place is so big that I think it'll take time...
Let's keep trying.
Yeah... It's not like we know he's doomed already. Let's be patient and keep searching.

You hear arguing from ahead...

Oh...! Let's go check it out, Hibiki.

[Music: Heroes Have No Fear]

Sorry if this hurts...

Oh my. This guy's pretty good.

Gah! This guy's tough! This doesn't look good...!

W-Wait! I've got to get out of here, too!
You idiot! It's just one kid! Why're you running away?

Ugh... You bastard... Don't think this means you won!

Is JP's giving you a hard time? Leave them to us!

[Music: Countdown]

Wow, he just be really good to hold his own against so many of them.
We're going to help him.
Oh... Yeah!

Well, that was nice and easy. Now we just have to find that Ronaldo guy and we're set.

Friend.

Jungo seems happy...

...You're allies. Then I won't lose.

[Music: Battle of the Brave]

We could actually kinda do this one before Airi's fight, but it would require wasting half an hour first.

It would also make Airi infinitely more disappointing, because Jungo is great. But we'll get to that in a bit.

For skill cracking, we only have 2 options but if we missed Anti-Force before it'd be here now. The problem is...

It and Diarama are both only available from this one Sarasvati waaay over here. If I skipped Multi-Hit before, it'd be here now as well.

Since Hibiki's beelining for Diarama, yet again, this seems like it may be a bad idea. This time around it works out a bit better, though, since Jungo and the guy down here basically focus exclusively on each other. It also has the advantage of letting Hibiki heal Jungo if absolutely necessary.

...Which it kind of isn't. He's not kidding either.

Jungo is easily good enough to survive past this one guy. Any more than that and it'd get a lot dicier but that's not a problem.

Oh, yeah, and he has an Ubelluris and Lilim just to be safe. Jungo's actually brought two level appropriate demons for a surprising change. Dude's the most competent partner we've seen so far.

Back with our team, Io's super competent too and steamrolls through the student lady with Sexy Gaze.

This guy tries to pick a fight with Hibiki. Ordinarily this would be a bad idea, but this one guy actually has the best chances at success here.

...If only because he has 2 Lilims and both spam Sexy Gaze with reckless abandon.

And it worked on Hibiki.

Who then proceeds to crit on Sarasvati. Twice. Just to rub it in.

Fortunately, Jungo wrecks his dude and is now done. He won the one fight he had to worry about, and nothing else is going to even touch him.

Really, Hibiki cutting through the middle didn't matter that much. It just put him in place to heal Jungo if it came to that. Since Io and Joe had to walk around, it doesn't seem like they should all get to the top of the stairs at about the same time. But they do.

This map has probably the most complicated design yet, because things like this don't look accurate. But they are. The isometric perspective makes it a bit of a mess.

Oh, and this guy paralysed Io. And only Io.

...He then paralysed Joe's entire team. Fortunately that one is significantly less obnoxious than it sounds!

Sarasvati's Affection cures status ailments, but it's quite expensive right now. Still, it's worth it just so Joe doesn't get wrecked.

The lady Hibiki was after isn't much of a threat once we get to her, so she falls nice and quick. And Hibiki gets Diarama and can heal nicely.

Whoopsie-dang! More reinforcements!

Of course, this makes 2 new enemy units spawn in. They're too late to really help, but points for trying I guess.

The dude that successfully charmed Hibiki earlier drops at about the same time, so their advantage is already rendered basically moot.

Now this guy is special but only at this point. Hibiki's team has him so hilariously outclassed.

He tried to throw a Paral Eyes at our team, but it missed everyone it could hit. Sarasvati's immunity to Mystic stuff makes it a non-issue there.

We also hit every weakness possible, avoided getting hit at all and took out all 3 things in that skirmish. Despite them being weakened massively, the game counts that as Overwhelming them in the exact same way it would if they were at full health.

This nets us an absurd +95% Macca, even though that means very little for our current point in time.

Most important thing is that it gives us an Ma+2 add-on. I can think of a few uses for this, but they dwindle in effectiveness after a while. It's still nice to prop something up and make it lord high lord magic murderer for a while though.

The last two dudes aren't even all that great frankly. This lady tried to pick a fight with Joe which is probably the smartest option all things considered.

...Or it would be if Jack and Joe couldn't both throw around Ice spells like crazy. Poor lady never really stood a chance.

And this guy decided to pick a fight with Hibiki for some reason. Even though Io was closer and a much easier target.

I'm not gonna complain when the AI decides to suicide for no apparent reason, mind you. It makes my job a lot easier at least.

And just like that, we're done.

Ictinike learned Elec Dance... for some reason... and that's about it.

[Music: Over the Brink of Death]

Yup. We made it through. ...Somehow!

Jungo comes over to talk to you...

We're backup.
Hey... your clothes are different.
Uhhh, well, this might take some explaining...

Airi... You're okay. Whew.

Are you outta your mind!? I was the one worrying about you, genius!
...About me?

Jungo seems perplexed...

Well, no harm done.

Um... Airi, I'm sure Jungo was worried about you too...
Don't go easy on him! This isn't the first time he's done this, you know!
Huh...? S-Sorry. But I'm sure Jungo was just as-- Huh?

H-Hey! Jungo!?

Jungo runs off...

...That did NOT just happen! What's his problem!?
It is a mystery...
Yeah... He's always like that.
He's very... interesting.

...Talk about bad timing.

[Video: Jungo Torii]

[Music: Countdown]

[Video: End]

It's kinda weird how they handle this one with a bunch of fades rather than actually show you Jungo get his rear end kicked.

[Music: Crumbling Routine]

There's no mistake.
Oh... Oh poo poo! He's gonna die! We gotta hurry after him!
Uhhh, hold on... Hahah... There's more bad news.
You're kidding me! Wh-What now?

No...!

Daichi is indeed visible in Jungo's death clip...

...Sure looks that way. We need to do something about this.
Hmm, where's this taking place? I don't recognize it.
Oh yeah... Hey, Airi? You know where this is?

Goddammit, Airi.

Hmm... hokay.
...This is bad, guys. Now we're really stuck. What next...?

Oh...! Hey, I know! Maybe... Yeah, Fumi might be able to help!
Who's that?

She's a little out there... But she's a whiz when it comes to science stuff.
I haven't seen her today, but someone else said they did. I doubt they were lying.

...I can't help but think that sounds familiar for some reason. Eh, it's probably nothing.

If we find Fumi, she might be able to fix our cells so we can make calls again...
Ahhh, I get it.
If we figure out where Daichi is, we'll get Jumbo's location as a bonus. Smart thinking.
Let's go!
Mmm-hmm, you said it. Let's get moving!

You leave the area...

Oh joy. Airi's basically just here so we can field a team of two real good demons because Airi herself sucks. She has no redeeming features at all, which is weird considering how relatively late she turns up.

I know at least one of the two demons I'm picking for her at least. We don't have it yet, though. We just hit level 22 in that fight and that's all we need for it. Get it later, because we fused enough today.

Instead we have at least an half hour to fill. We also have the matter of Jungo's life hanging in the balance. Decisions are the same as ever though.

Who do we hang out with this time (I'm sure I already know the answer to this one though! :v:)

and, much more importantly,

What do we do re: Jungo?
:siren: :siren:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Anyone who lets Jungo die is a horrible, horrible person who does not deserve to be here. :colbert:

Airi...is tolerable. She's the "whiny little brat" of the cast, but thankfully Jungo is there to help make things smoother. Actually, Jungo makes all things more entertaining, so it goes without saying that Airi improving is a result of him.

As for the anime version of Airi's recruitment....it doesn't happen like it does here. We kinda need to progress the story further along before I can talk about that. But, what I can say is that Jungo's VA is Daisuke Namikawa, who also voices Yu Narukami of Persona 4 fame. Except the DeSu2 voice director(s) told Namikawa "Hey, that voice you used for Narukami? Yeah, do it again."

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AradoBalanga posted:

Anyone who lets Jungo die is a horrible, horrible person who does not deserve to be here. :colbert:

Correction: Anyone who lets Jungo die intentionally is a horrible person who does not deserve nice things. The time frame in rescuing him is a lot tighter than it was for Keita, so it's a lot more likely that you'll lose him on your first blind run unless you've figured out just how the narrative works regarding that sort of thing.

Also I do not talk about Airi. She's only tolerable because she's not Keita.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wow, two fights and a new character today, so a lot to talk about.

If you've managed to come into this day at a good level like Dragonatrix, neither of these fights are really threats. The demons here are mostly pretty weak and for right now enemy humans are generally less threatening than demons (this will change, holy poo poo will it change). As always, just be careful about people going in unsupported. Now, if you're NOT as powerful as Dragonatrix, the map with Airi especially can be pretty exciting. There are a lot of surprisingly mobile enemy parties that tend to not like to do what you want them to. Even still, I'd strongly suggest doing exactly the same thing and using a Waira to get up in that Anti-Force party's face to snatch that up. Anti- skills are crazy worthwhile, after all. Pick your most robust party and run everyone else as close as possible to try and give the enemy more targets. As long as the human character survives you're fine, and since this is early in the map it's not a real problem to reload if poo poo goes horribly wrong for you. Airi can pretty much handle herself, as noted. Jungo's map has tougher enemies but is in general easier, since Jungo's super competent and the enemy comes in waves. Neither should really give you a problem, if they are that suggests you just aren't where you need to be level wise for this day and that means do some Free Battles. Now for Airi.

Airi Ban: So, Dragonatrix doesn't like Airi much. There's a decent reason for this, because Airi is one of the few characters who will never max out a stat even at level 99. She almost maxes out Magic and Agility, and splits her other level-ups evenly between Strength and Vitality. That said, I actually prefer her to Joe for a few reasons. She gets two resists (Elec and Force) and actually puts some points into Vitality, for one. That said, I wouldn't really use either of them if picking out my favorite party of four so "like a slightly weaker but more robust Joe who is also slightly better at when she levels up what" isn't a terribly ringing endorsement. It doesn't help that the rest of the characters who will join us from Nagoya are goddamn incredible in one way or another. We'll talk about that as we get them.

Also I can tolerate Airi but I also liked Midori so maybe your mileage may vary with regards to things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Airi is okay but Jungo is loving hilarious and a guaranteed first-stringer anytime he's available, holy hell. That dude just wrecks fuckers like nobody's business. You know that thing where people get less powerful once they join your party? Jungo is way too cool for that bullshit.

• Locked thread