Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Season 4 begins on June 27! :siren:

How would you dream up the perfect game show?
1) Be sure to cast celebrities so there's reputations and personal histories in play.
2) Don't make them live in a house because then you just have a lovely reality show; instead, have them meet once a week for a battle of wits, testing both mental and social acuity.
3) Hold it in a country where cultural norms prevent people from acting like complete shitheads.

Well, we don't have to dream anymore. I present to you, The Genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQem4x_JGIg

That was a horribly dubbed trailer for season 3. Episodes with EXCELLENT fan-made English subtitles (by Clefairy from the TeamLiquid forums) are posted to her Tumblr, typically the Monday after airing. You can also follow her on Twitter for updates.

Season 3 Cast

(clockwise from the top right)

Oh Hyunmin (KAIST student)
-Cute looks and an extraordinary mind! “The Genius“‘s youngest ever player!
-Dominates the games with a boldness beyond his years and quick judgement!
-Looks that surpass those of idols and sparkling eyes. A pretty boy comes to restore KAIST’s honor!
-Disarms female players with cute looks!

Kwon Juri (Miss Kangwon and Dealer)
-Quick hands and accurate calculations. A Kangwon Land dealer who doesn’t lose her cool under any situation!
-Bold plays and an extraordinary competitive spirit hidden behind slender looks!
-The master of games that reads the minds of gamblers!

Kang Yongseok (Lawyer)
-Pay attention to his poker face and skilled plays developed through countless controversies and years of experience!
-A politician turned TV star! A hot potato with many haters and fans!
-School district 8, Seoul University, Harvard Law School! A lawyer who took the elite course. The elite of elites!

Ha Yeonjoo (Actress, the woman halfway down the right)
-Possesses both intellect and beauty with 156 IQ!
-The beauty with a thousand faces makes her first variety appearance! A true jack of all trades!
-A devilish player who captures men’s hearts with her lively personality!

Nam Hweejong (Math lecturer)
-173 IQ with skills and charismatic looks. The eloquent top online maths lecturer!
-Returned to redeem himself. Forget “The Genius : Rule Breaker”! His surefire survival tactics will overcome the 1st round!
-An overwhelming presence that pressures the other players! The most feared player and a strong favorite to win season 3!

Jang Dongmin (Comedian)
An unpredictable player who competes with unexpected ad-libs and boldness!
The adaptability and sense of a 10 year comedian. Recently risen as a variety show success story!
Level 100 wits, level 200 sense! A player with the intuition and strategy to outdo the winner of “The Genius : Rule Breaker”.

Kim Junghoon (Actor)
-146 IQ and ranked 67th in the nation as a student! His hobby is solving maths problems! The most requested player by “The Genius” viewers!
-A singer turned pretty boy actor! The original umchinah has returned as a genius!
-Asia’s prince who won a quiz show on Japan’s Fuji TV 2 years in a row!

Choi Yeonseung (Oriental doctor)
-Gangnam’s representative oriental clinic director and responsible for the visuals of “The Genius : Black Garnet”!
-A unique familiarity that lowers the guard of other players and a positivity that shines in dangerous moments!
-A brilliant mind in the top 0.03% of the 2003 SATs! Selected out of 3,000 applicants for “The Genius : Black Garnet“‘s open casting call!

Yoo Sujin (Financial planner)
-The financial planner of VVIPs that relies on thorough data analysis to map out their futures!
-"The Genius : Black Garnet“‘s official big sister with a tough and gentle side!
-The most requested investment lecturer from countless corporations and schools! Leadership that encompasses every player!

Shin Ahyoung (Sports announcer, the woman in the center)
-Rewriting the history of umchinddals! The daughter of the Financial Services Commission’s chairman, a Harvard graduate and the sports announcer goddess!
-English, German, Spanish, etc. Fluent in 4 languages and an endless positivity that draws people in!
-A charming player that chases after a dramatic finish!

Kim Yoohyun (Pro poker player)
-Selected out of 3,000 applicants for the open casting call. A pro poker player that enjoys high level psychological battles!
-Ranked 3rd in Manila’s Texas Hold ‘Em tournament on September 2012! An English lecturer that is as fluent as a native!
-Aiming for the win with the pride of a pro poker player on the line!
-A strong favorite that suggests the best strategy with logical thinking!

Kim Kyunghoon (Seoul University graduate student)
-Selected out of 3,000 applicants for the open casting call. From Minjok Leadership Academy to Seoul University! The king of specs!
-A devilish player that plunges players into chaos with his unexpected goofiness!
-Handsome looks and a sociability without limits.

Lee Jongbeom (Webtoon writer)
-The writer of the web toon “Dr. Frost” which will be made into a drama on OCN!
-A logical persuasiveness based on quick game sense! A high level player that moves the hearts of other players!
-The comforting voice of a radio DJ and his psychological knowledge allow him to read others from a few words!

Episodes: Available via the subber's Tumblr. Also follow her on Twitter for updates.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'd say the only comparable aspect of Noh Hong-Chul and Will Ferrell is that they both inspire the same 'love them or hate them' reaction from people. I think NHC is brilliant personally, and if it's still online I really recommend people watch the double part Infinite Challenge where Yoo Jae Suk (Yellow Suit Guy), Noh Hong Chul (Elevator Guy) and Ha Dong Hoon (aka Ha-Ha, Bob Marley Fan) go to New York to perform with PSY. It's just utterly brilliant.
Would Borat be a more apt comparison?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sacro posted:

First episode was great, and I was happy to see the first eliminated player was who it was, as he gave me an arrogant rear end in a top hat vibe. Though that wasn't even entirely his fault unless he was insisting that they get his IQ correct as if 3 points really needed a correction and fawning over for his introduction. The jump cuts to his twitching face might have had a lot to do with it too. The only better way to dunk that guy would have been the last trader giving him the 0. :black101:
Yeah, my roommate and I were both happy that player was eliminated.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GraPar posted:

There are links to all of Season 1 streaming on that twitter account too, might be worth adding to the OP.
The twitter account is in the OP, multiple times. I was one of the first 10 subscribers to her Twitter feed :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Links to episode 2 now available on her Tumblr.

edit: ^ :argh:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 16, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

Episode 2: Holy gently caress Jaekyung got hosed over so bad, and even I enjoy having NHC on this show and hope he lasts for a while. That sucks. :smith:
Unfortunate that we lost a pretty face so early, but she was bound to get knocked out soon anyway. I didn't like that the surviving players could basically decide who won the death match, while I've always though of the death match as an opportunity to save yourself, separate from the main match.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 16, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For those of you who are familiar with Liar Game, are you referring to the manga or TV series? I'm watching the series now (subbed on Youtube) and while I can see similarities in the format, the main female character is about as frustrating to watch as Shinji in Evangelion, and the audience is treated like kids, drawing out explanations in both time and verbiage of how to play the game and how the winner triumphed.

It's shot how I imagine the panels in the manga would look, so at least that's cool.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 22, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

The flash-forwards don't really spoil anything for me. I mean, I know that somebody got screwed, but the answers to "how?" and "who by?" turn out to be something I hardly ever expect. It's been like that for me since the first episode with the garnet bribe orchestrated by the webcomic dude.

Kinda like an episode of Columbo: I already know who done it, I just want to know how Columbo figured it out and how crazy he can drive the perp while doing it.
The problem with the Columbo comparison is that how he figures it out and driving the perp crazy is the whole charm of the show, it's gimmick, if you will. In the case of The Genius, trying to solve the "mystery" itself is appealing, at least for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

The way American celebrity-based competition shows are normally cast wouldn't work. You end up with D-list celebrities -- one-hit wonders from the 80's, reality show "stars", that sort of thing. People like this are usually participating solely to further their careers, and they tend to cause drama to get more screen time.

There's also the problem with the manufactured conflict that occurs on every single one of these shows here. The producers prompt the contestants for everything, reshooting segments for more desirable reactions, and sometimes flat-out telling people what to say.

The thing I love about The Genius (and Running Man), is that everything is so good-natured. Even when there's deceit and backstabbing, it's rare that anyone gets genuinely angry. This type of show just doesn't exist here. As far as American networks are concerned, drama equals ratings.

I think the only way it could happen would be for it to be a web-based series (free of network bullshit), cast with people from the "nerd community" (less drama). I know it's trendy to hate on people like Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, and Felicia Day, but they're the type of people who could pull off a Genius-style show without ruining the concept.
I agree with all of this, except we don't have any proof that celebrities like Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, or Felicia Day are, for lack of a better term, smart enough to last more than a couple episodes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

How do you be "under suspicion of managing an illegal gambling website"?

"The only thing we know about the operator of hotpokerbets.com is that he is a reclusive genius known as 'The Snake'."
I believe gambling is illegal in Korea so any type of gambling website, however, innocent would be illegal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Naaah, the subber is a regular on TeamLiquid (Starcraft forum) and I believe people there wanting to see JinHo on the show was what made them decide to sub it in the first place.
Yeah, either Jinho or Yohwan would have led to subbing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Going to jump on this and the controversy is because this episode broke point three. There's parts of Korean culture that are really hosed up. Bullying is pretty common in the workplace and can be quite open and there's a high suicide rate as well (I think it's like the most common form of death for under 40s or something).

The episode touched a raw nerve among it's viewers because most Korean reality/variety shows are primarily focused on the viewers entertainment and provide comedic relief (instead of say human drama) as well as a sort of alternate reality where everybody is nice to each other and it's all fun and games after the backstabbing is done. It's why people like Hong Chul constantly state out loud how they're feeling or explain what he's doing for the audience. Hong Chul will cheat in the game without a worry but he'll never outright break social conventions or bully someone openly without making it seem like a joke.

Had he got the card, he probably would have traded it back to Doo Hee for garnets or future favours just to keep the show more interesting and friendly.

Instead, we watched a bunch of big name celebrities band together and poo poo on a little guy. There's nothing really that Doo Hee, a non celebrity, could have done to force them to return his card. To top it off, you have incidents like Jiwon befriending and calling him outside the show just so he could backstab him in the game or Sangmin giving him a fake token just to gently caress with him when he's already down. Reality shows like the Genius is one of the only avenues where beginners can break into the entertainment industry so having veterans gently caress with a newcomer beyond the boundaries of the game is pretty mean.

I don't think Doo Hee was ever going to win and he did take the loss much harder than the others probably would have. While this episode would have been okay to a western audience, it broke a lot of Korean/Asian social and cultural conventions which is why there is such a big backlash.

I think it's important to remember the cultural differences in what's acceptable in the US vs. Korea. Just because people are fuckers on Survivor doesn't mean we should transfer those expectations to The Genius.

Also, there was really nothing that could be done to rectify the situation. What were they going to do, put someone in a headlock?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 15, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Whoever designed the games for season two clearly didn't think through the possibility of a strong alliance manipulating things long term. They could be shattered by setting up random teams and more group death matches. The alliance could try to manipulate things cross team but if they're sending half their members to a death match as a result they might not want to do it.

We're rapidly approaching a point where Jinho is going to be almost impossible to force out. Death matches where the remaining players decide the victor are going to be rarer until the finale (and since the eliminated contestants have no reason to go against Jinho he's almost sure to win if he reaches it). Before I wanted to see people on the offensive against him because he was too good and unbalanced the game. Now I want to see him crush everything remaining in his path and take over as the mastermind on the video screen.
We need more games like the horse race and add/multiply game from season 1.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A "joke gone too far" is literally what high schoolers say when they're brought to the principal's office for bullying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

NaDa and JulyZerg would be good choices.

Edit - or loving firebathero.
Nada was awful as Jinho's guest in season 1. Flash or Bisu are sufficiently famous.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GG = good game

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Will the KAIST and Seoul National students team up or have a blood rivalry? :suspense:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Kawaii dealer Nuna-chan has been confirmed.
Yuuuuussss, best news of season 3. :toot:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OP has been updated with the bios!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Subyng posted:

Goons don't understand human emotions, go figure.

Doohee was basically being bullied by the cool kids.
And people say the characters on Scorpion are unrealistic. :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finished the episode. Solid start. A bit unfortunate a woman decided to pick another woman for the death match, but I think the winner was the right one given how they played it.

Biggest disappointment was no Extreme Ways, but I have hope it will show up later.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My roommate never watched season 2, so we're going through them now that season 3 has started. We're up to the episode where Doohee got screwed, and I still don't understand why ID cards were used. It literally adds nothing to the game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I assume it was intended to be similar to the tickets in Abundance and Famine, which was really successful for pulling off a successful alliance when they traded around at random and bonded together.
That's too far back for me to remember, but I might rewatch it later.

The death match they picked was also atrocious. It was already shown to be flawed and completely sabotagable when it was a main match game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Elite posted:

I also think the no-theft/no-violence rules are an exception to the rest of the game as I think the spirit of the law is more important than the letter there. I mean I'm pretty certain that beating rival to death with a lampstand shouldn't be a viable move so long as you're screaming "I'm just practising my baseball swings and if your skull gets in the way it's your fault!" as you do it.
Just so you know, the no-theft/no-violence rules didn't exist during the Doohee/Jiwon scandal. They were introduced in season 3, presumably as a response to that bullshit.

Another thing about season 2, when Jinho and Jiwon had their death match and Jiwon all-ined, my roommate mentioned that Sangmin could have controlled the death match utterly by only giving garnets to Jiwon, or nobody could have given him garnets, causing him to forfeit the death match.

That's totally something that would happen in the U.S. :smith:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 6, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Maybe, but compare the Layoff game with the Food Chain game. In the Food Chain game, the predators missed the fact that they had to turn on other predators to make it, and it cost them. Instead they tried to work with the surface of the game and focused more on the social part of the game, which sank Hweejong in particular when the mouse didn't follow his lead.

In Layoff, you got a sense that the S1 players were deeper into the game theory than the S2 players ever got in either Layoff or Food Chain. Is that a lack of pressure and good teamwork, or also a difference in approach for the two seasons? I'm not saying either approach is better overall, but it's something that I noticed between the two seasons and for that game in particular I think the S1 mindset would have the advantage.
S2 was the broadcaster alliance bullying everyone and Sangmin pulling the strings from behind the curtain.

Also Yohwan being utterly useless in main matches.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zythrst posted:

You know this actually isn't true, I've been re-watching season 1 and they mention it in the first episode. I guess they are just emphasizing this aspect now.
Touche.

When Jiwon and company address Doohee about stealing his ID card, Hongchul is the first to speak to try to diffuse things. Yooyoung didn't get nearly enough blame, and it was classic fake remorse from bullies. It certainly doesn't help that Doohee was a completely pitiful, spineless pushover.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think Dongmin is easy to remember because he's such a charismatic dude.
Dongmin is this season's Hongchul.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't under why Ahyoung was helping Kyunghoon. Sure, he has a crush on her, but surely she can't have a crush on him. He's a traitorous bastard who has no dignity, begging for help, and got mad and people who wouldn't help him. And it's not like he's especially attractive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

What's more important, being mad at someone over a game, or a hot korean boyfriend...the answer may surprise you.
Surely she can do better than that squirrely bastard.

Really, I'm just upset because I think she's too good for him. :colbert:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 12, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Using a draw in the death match to block the other player from betting chips was a good move that I also thought of, but I didn't realize that apparently that lets you choose your role again the next round? That's just bad game design
Except that's not what happened.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When the main match was being explained, my roommate and I got really excited, but the outcome was a little too decisive. The death match also wasn't played too well and included an incredibly lucky move. All in all, a little disappointed in how things turned out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MisterZimbu posted:

Write down "00", which is a two digit number and will therefore show up as white.
The graphics specifically show "0~9" as white and "10~99" as black.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cute n Popular posted:

Looks like at the very least Jinho and Sangmin will make an appearance in S3.

https://twitter.com/jinhoda/status/525670117145722880
The most important part is that they're out with dealer nuna. :3:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finally watched the BTS clip of Yeonseung explaining why he wrote in Korean numbers. While watching the episode, I didn't understand why Yongseok wrote in such giant numbers, bigger than either of the players the first time they played Black and White II. Does he think he's writing for the sake of some wide angle overhead camera? Did he not notice that hand movements were visible when he was in the audience for the first game? Did he not notice that Ahyoung was trying to camouflage her hand movements? Did he not notice the hand movements of his opponent when he was playing?

Not worthy of Extreme Ways IMO since some form of subterfuge is so obvious that it occurred in the first episode. Only when compared to Yongseok's appaling stupidity does it seem genius.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

WhaaA? The Internet video man doesn't know my thoughts in real life?? Holy sh*t, never mind, he's actually good and not bad then.
They totally read AllKPop or whatever the Korean version of Reddit is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I knocked together a play-at-home version of the Black Mission for anyone interested in seeing if it's at all possible for them. It only took about three minutes to do with the hardest part being coming up with the stop names. Here's how you can play the slightly easier home version. Below in the spoiler text is the list of stops in order. Give yourself 30 seconds to memorize the list if you want to do it The Genius way or one minute if you want to have a reasonable chance of pulling it off. The second spoiler block is just the stop numbers in a random order. Pop open notepad and write down the stops in that order. Then finally there's a convenient spoiler block in the same order as the jumbled list as your answer key. It's all on the honor system, so here we go.

This is the list of stops in order. Start the time when you mouse over it.

Stop 1 - Courthouse
Stop 2 - Intersection
Stop 3 - Factory
Stop 4 - Elementary School
Stop 5 - Depot
Stop 6 - Junkyard
Stop 7 - Gallery
Stop 8 - Mall
Stop 9 - Butcher
Stop 10 - Laundromat
Stop 11 - Aquarium
Stop 12 - Hospital

Okay. Now I'm giving you some room.

This is the shuffled list of just stop numbers. Have your piece of paper or notepad or whatever ready and write the location of the stops in this order.

Stop 3
Stop 9
Stop 11
Stop 2
Stop 8
Stop 1
Stop 6
Stop 4
Stop 7
Stop 5
Stop 10
Stop 12

Some more room before the answer key...

These are the answers to the shuffled list in the same order.

Stop 3 - Factory
Stop 9 - Butcher
Stop 11 - Aquarium
Stop 2 - Intersection
Stop 8 - Mall
Stop 1 - Courthouse
Stop 6 - Junkyard
Stop 4 - Elementary School
Stop 7 - Gallery
Stop 5 - Depot
Stop 10 - Laundromat
Stop 12 - Hospital

I had no problem memorizing the first letter of each stop, but I had trouble remembering the full word associated with each letter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Death match spoilers.

Am I missing something or did Hyunmin have a forced win in this position by moving his king forward?

I've been following the World Chess Championship so I was all over the board and assumed the game was won at this point, but when Hyunmin didn't take it, I thought I had failed to understand the rules.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Subyng posted:

Couldn't jongbum have moved his king back to the middle to defend? That's what I was screaming at him to do
I believe it was Hyunmin's move. If he moves forward and Jongbum moved to the middle to defend, Hyunmin can take Jongbum's king with his own like he ended up actually doing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

I'm sorry, what? :psyduck:
His code sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Yeonseung is the mentality king, Ahyoung was the dress queen. Still, she lasted longer than she should have, and it should be a final 3 of Dongmin, Hyunmin, and Yoohyun.