Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, they know their backstory extensively, which probably includes a big list of everything their character knows about the other characters.

The "no lying unless you're the killer" rule is interesting. I also suspect, based on how they play, that they are strongly encouraged by the producers not to reveal embarrassing details about their character until forced. Because otherwise, the winning strategy would always be to start by going around a circle and describing all their character's secrets.

NowonSA posted:

:siren:EXTREME WAYS UPDATE:siren:

Yohwan (Boxer) and Jinho (Yellow) are playing each other in the new Starcraft 2 expansion on twitch right now. It should be the top game in the Starcraft section.

They're playing in Archon mode, which is a new mode that lets two players control the same units. For example, one player can focus on making units and building up a base while the other only focuses on controlling the army units. Unfortunately they're playing against each other, so we can't have the Genius dream team. It's a showmatch, so there isn't really much at stake, just them messing around with the new units.

Check it out if you're even a casual Starcraft fan because it owns so far, and if you've ever been curious about what all the Jinho/Yohwan e-sport fuss was about now is a pretty drat rare chance to see them go at it in SC2!

You may be able to dig it up on a twitch archive or on youtube after the fact, but they can be hard to track down so don't miss out!
Yes! This looks good, and Archon mode looks good.

The title of the stream is "WCS Global Finals - Round of 8" at the moment, but it's actually showing this showmatch right now. Jinho is partnered with NesTea, and Yohwan is with MVP -- both big-time starcraft legends, enough that I've heard of them even though I only watched a bit of SC2 a couple years ago and their biggest glory days were in SC1 Brood War.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dang. I was hoping someone had been making up lots of cool stuff to tell you about Season 5, just to let you down when you get there.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

A conspiracy thriller sort of thing embedded in a reality show that most contestants think is normal and rote reality show stuff? Pitch that to all networks ASAP, please.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Isn't the core talent behind designing and producing The Genius leaving? If I remember that correctly, then ending the show is the proper thing to do. I prefer when a great show doesn't outlive its greatness. Not every good thing in this world must be driven into the ground.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Season 2 and 3 were meh for me, since I got bored watching obvious winners win. It was the same story every episode: 80% of the cast approach sangmin/dongmin and beg him to tell them what to do in the game. Somehow, he turns that situation into a win. Masterful!

Season 4 was really spectacular because we got to see both of them in situations that actually challenged (and proved) their ability. The social game's more interesting when there's more than one or two people in the game willing and able to do real scheming against the default alliance. I really started to like Dongmin throughout the Grand Final season, when in his original season I was rooting against him simply for the sake of interest and underdogs.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't think it was obvious Dongmin was going to win season 3. The finale was intense, the way he turned around the arithmetic memory game against Hyunmin was amazing.

Season 4 Dongmin was a completely different beast though, dude studied every game (Jinho's yutnori, Hyunmin's shogi) and the absolute dongmination overshadows the fact that in season 3 he was kind of an underdog.

I didn't think it was obvious he's win the entire season, since you can't really predict something that big with any sort of certainty. But episode-by-episode, he was the obvious big power player, which meant lots of players constantly deferred to him, which made each game a matter of "can Dongmin, controlling 55% of everyone's moves, secure a win despite the chaos inherent in the system and a couple people trying to throw him off?". It was similar in season 2 with Sangmin. And that sort of dynamic just wasn't as interesting for me to watch as was Season 1 and 4, where there were more people being more proactive in a wider variety of ways.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 20, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

EVERYONE was on the hate train after his first appearance. People only started to root for him at all because season 4 he got a nice "terrible person and terrible player turns at least one of those things around" story going on, and stories like that are fun. It's no big surprise that he rolls back those improvements as soon as the show is over.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh man. Open Pass was one of those brilliant, most memorable Genius moments that they can never replicate. After that, everyone already knows to look for secret properties of every prop in every game. But you can't take away that one moment where Jinho looks lile a magician.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Cannot believe there was no Extreme Ways there

me me me me me me me me only me is p dece tho

I have bad news about the use of Extreme Ways as the series goes on. :(

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ooh. I could totally get into a game like that. Competition between asymmetrical teams sounds fascinating. With a hilarity bonus if the despot-themed team wins, and some people take the thing too seriously and act like this 'proves' authoritarianism is correct.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 21, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I like how they had a different strength game and mental game beteeen the team-choosing and human janggi, but dexterity was still ring-toss. I hope the entire show, thry keep having a "dexterity" category that always just means ring toss. Ring Toss is one of the three main categories of human potential.

More seriously, it really sucks that they booted that girl who was diligently practicing to get good at ring toss. That doesn't bode well.

(I assume a full page later is cool to not tag spoilers? nobody's going to casually scroll this far. I'll fix if I'm wrong)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 27, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

Regarding the blacklist (obvious spoiler but still speculation) He's writing names down that only show up under blacklight, right? It would explain the dark voting booth, the black paper used, and how quickly it's currently being edited over. So how likely do you think it is that he's written down Asol and Seolhwa so far, just in case?

No, they showed in episode 1 that it's a kinda marker with silver ink. First time he started to write a name then scribbled it out, second time he just left it blank. I think narration even specifically said he entered no name twice, so unless the producers are pointedly lying, the blacklist is empty.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

qbert posted:

When is the next Society Game ep out? I need my fix.

The subs are usually posted on Sundays, but Bumdidlyumptious tweeted that it didn't get done this weekend. I assume they have less time to do this on weekdays because of a day job.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Society Game ep4 is up.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ep 4: Couldn't help but laugh at the Mad Men theme kicking in for the swap.

I hated seeing the best player sticking up so much for the worst.

pokeyman posted:

For real. Didn't some goon suggest passing a hat around and getting bumdi a lil present from this thread? Did that ever happen? Would be super cool if there's some nonweird way to say thanks.
Don't have any ideas myself, but sounds good.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Really fun to see MJ playing every single one of her teammates expertly. It's brilliant. I was afraid last episode that she was basically just a figurehead for Heejun, but nope, she's just letting him believe that while turning all his strongest allies into her own. Macho really bugs me, but he definitely is an entertaining character in all this.

Sangguk's martyr complex was ridiculous. He was far from the weak link, and his flailing about trying to get himself eliminated instead just hurt his actual allies. Seolhwa is rightly pissed at her elimination. Now Haesung's back in charge, which is interesting. And the keys go to The Two Guys Who Don't Do Anything. (Seriously, I've been keeping notes as I watch to keep track of who is who, and haven't yet found a reason to split the "Injik and Byungkwan" line.)

Based on the timing of the episode-end cut, I'm betting MJ did eliminate someone. I'd go for Donghwan over Sahyuk. Sahyuk is good for challenges, and his presence kinda helps her play Heejun and Pharoh off each other (maybe that's an unhelpful element of chaos though?). Donghwan is the guy who keeps making vague statements about wanting to make a move but never committing himself to any 'side'. Seems dangerous to keep around.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Stupid dickhead move by Haesung to not vote out Sangguk btw. Like was it really so urgent to take out Seolhwa on this day instead of the next time they lose that it's worth it to piss people off like that?

Haesung's group and Asol + Seolhwa's group were going to be at war no matter who replaced Sangguk and no matter who was eliminated. Sangguk wanted the politics to just go away for a moment so he could Nobly Sacrifice Himself For The Greater Good Of The Team, but that just wasn't going to happen. As soon as Haesung had the leadership, he had to make whatever move minimized the chances of Asol's group stealing back control. And I guess he figured that meant getting rid of the cross-group friendship between Hael and Seolhwa.

The whole There Can Only Be Three situation is really weird. For instance, if Nopdong keeps winning everything and reaches the endgame with eight or nine players, that'll be a weird as hell election -- they'll have to vote for a leader who will then simultaneously eliminate everyone but three players. Sucky end to all that success. And in Madong, I'm hoping we really do see a strike situation soon, because I'm curious how that can possibly be resolved. The leader has nothing to offer the citizens other than false (in all but two cases) promises of going to the finals. (Even if you spread the reward money evenly, it's meaningless because most people don't get to keep any of that money.) But even any rebellion requires more than three, so requires those same blatantly-unfulfillable promises.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 24, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Injik and Byungkwan differentiate themselves, Injik becomes a new character I'm rooting for, Haesung just kind of shrugs forever at the shitstorm, Sangguk sees how badly he screwed his allies and goes out on a high note anyway. Meanwhile, MJ keeps the Nopdong machine running smoothly and powerfully. What a great episode.

I really hope Asol follows through with a strike next episode. Why the hell should he and Seohyun put any effort into increasing Haesung's prize money? This would be a very different game if non-final-3 contestants had any incentive for their team to win in the end, but they don't as far as I know.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

like for example Adam's apple dude is obviously their best mental guy (is he on the other side? I forget).
Yep. The least central member of that alliance, unlikely to join in a strike or anything now, but definitely on that side.

quote:

Interesting thing is apparently Seolhwa was weak but wasn't she one of the winners of the initial competitions? Was she the photographic memory lady or the woman who carried the bags?
She was the bag-carrying champion. Apparently her teammates don't give her much credit for that. But mostly it seems like a obvious contrived excuse "I'll eliminate the least useful player for the challenges. She just also happens to be the person in the alliance that opposes me who is friends with one of my allies."

I really liked that moment where Byungkwan was like "what's all this hope stuff, we didn't need 'hope' to care about the challenges" and Injik replied "our hope was Seolhwa". Seolhwa's and Hael's friendship was the biggest thing blurring the stark lines between the alliances, and Haesung made sure to cut that as his very first action, which is a big part of why the situation deteriorated so quickly.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Anaconda Rifle posted:

I am resisting tweeting at Bumdi asking what's up with the next episode.

They usually finish on Sundays, but the last episode was nearly a week late, so I assume they're just dropping a week and trying to do this next one for this next Sunday.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dang, looks like Dailymotion killed this episode.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Was telling some friends about The Genius recently and I realized all the links on Bumdidlyumptious's tumblr are broken. Any pointers for finding this stuff again? (Scanned the last several pages of this thread to make sure I wasn't wasting time with a repeat question).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Thanks tons, everyone! I can't wait to introduce these friends to The Genius, I'm pretty sure they're going to love it.

I fell off this thread and these shows partway through the first season of Society Game. It was almost-but-not-quite holding my interest as much as The Genius, and then some life stuff happened.

How close do the shows since then come to the highs of The Genius?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I suspect they got so used to "you've got to add 1 to the century number" that they've started adding 1 a second time.