Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Watched S2E1. Was not disappointed! Although I guess I spoiled the winner of season one for myself. Or rather, the show spoiled it for me by showing it to me.

edit: does anyone have an invite to the soft sub download? I would very much appreciate it!

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Wow, episode 5 (s2)!

Awesome main game and death match. I was really rooting for Yoonsun. Especially since the plan to get infinite chips was way more clever than what the opposite team did, which was to just brute force through majority votes. She really had her head in the game but always seemed to be one step behind her competition. Same with Dahye, both smart players who I think just weren't conniving enough. But I'm glad Yohwan finally got a chance to showcase what he's good at, since he's basically been a non-entity up until now. Killing the opponent's King with their own laser was just beautiful.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 5, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I know the season finale of Genius 2 was forever ago but I just finished it and I'm just going say that I was rooting for Yohwan mainly for the fact that personality-wise, I liked him a lot better than Sangmin. Yohwan was a goof with brief moments of lucidity, but Sangmin was, though competent, a slimy bastard.

Also, asking if the product of the lowest two numbers is greater than one was a totally USELESS question since the only two numbers whose products equal one are 1 and 1, and he already knew that there were no repeated numbers. He should have asked if the product of the two lowest numbers is greater than TWO, then he would know that the lowest two numbers are 1 and 2, thus he would know all 4 numbers. Then with the other questions he asked he would know that the first two digits are 19, and with two guesses can guess either 1982 or 1928. ARGH. loving Yohwan'd.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Can someone who is following the SA Genius game thread email me the link to the viewer's vista? I asked for it before but provided the wrong email address, whoops! subyngs @ gmail.com

Thanks

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The oriental doctor strikes me as the most interesting contestant so far. From the other contestants we can kind of guess what their strengths will be from their occupations, but eastern medicine is kind of a bunch of mumbo jumbo in my opinion (speaking as someone who has experienced it) so I'm curious as to what his strong point will be. Also, just look at that piercing gaze.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I guess he does graphic design on the side??

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Goons don't understand human emotions, go figure.

Doohee was basically being bullied by the cool kids.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
UGH that death match was annoying. I was rooting for Juri since Ahyoung wasn't really doing anything for the entire main match and panicking during the beginning of the death match while Juri was relatively composed and based just on that it seemed like Ahyoung would be the less interesting of the two later on. But what the hell was Juri doing, seriously. Just...like...come on.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Chainsawdomy posted:

I'm going to fly in the face of popular opinion and say that not only am I glad they didn't bust out Extreme Ways without a good reason, but that Mi Mi Mi is the best new addition to the soundtrack.

I'm definitely rooting for Hweejong, Dongmin and Yoohyun so far. I can't say why, but Hyunmin rubs me the wrong way.

And I'm curious to see whether Yeonjoo comes out of the woodwork as the game goes on, or just gets kind of brushed aside and off the show early on.

I agree with this post. Extreme Ways must not be applied too liberally or it loses its effect. I enjoyed the Mi Mi Mi song and I also don't really like Hyunmin for no particular reason.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Lawyer dude = season 3's Junghyun??

Subyng
May 4, 2013
(are we not spoiler tagging now?)

Well, it's not entirely unfair to the deathmatch candidates. We didn't really see any evidence of the deathmatchees proactively trying to make alliances from the start to ensure they aren't singled out. Dongmin pointed this out right from the beginning the importance of the social aspect of this match.

Anyways, I'm glad the winner won, but that person really has been a non entity thus far, hopefully having been made a target will give them the kick needed to start playing more aggressively.

qbert posted:

I know it's all part of the competition but I'm starting to dislike Hyunmin. Maybe because his strategy every episode doesn't seem to be to actually win, but to create a scenario where another person is specifically targeted to lose. It seems like every game, he'll immediately insulate himself with the group of players that can't lose if they work together, and then arbitrarily decide who they should make last to ensure their own safety. Like in this episode, it seemed like last place would just be whoever got targeted for the Gravity effect and Hyunmun just decided it should be that guy.

I don't think he's trying to actively target other people as much as he is trying to protect himself by making sure he is not left out of the loop. Although there is truth to what you're saying, as we saw from Season 2's Yohwan, surviving and winning are two entirely separate things. Hyunmin is playing the metagame very well so far.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 20, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
dealer nuna needs to be in everything, ever

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Understandable why he would feel that way, though that just exemplifies Yeonseung as the Mentality King. I think he is now my favourite.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tonfa posted:

Please, someone, kill off that little poo poo Hyunmin and his strategy of railroading anyone remotely interesting into elimination.

Oh well. You tried sticking up to them, Hweejong.

He didn't do that at all this episode. Also remember he is playing to win and has no idea or care for who your favourite players are.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, the practice runs were a good thing. Also I'm pretty sure there will be a way for players to find the key that opens up the deathmatch safe so they can see what it will be ahead of time.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeonseung was pretty dumb in this episode but remember that the viewers have a lot of information that the players don't have. Given what Yeonseung knew, he made the right choice. Yeonseung's strategy wasn't to get one below Junghoon, it was to just get more than Sujin as to not be last. If Hyunmin's team mines low (1-1-1), Yeonseung isn't going to get anything anyway. But if they mine a bit higher (say to boost Junghoon out of the danger zone) then he may be able to capitalize on that, but he knows they won't mine a lot of points since Hyunmin and Yoohyun are already in the lead, so he has to keep his bet more conservatively. It was a calculated move, albeit not a very thorough one. He had no idea that Dongmin and Hyunmin were collaborating (nobody did) to get Sujin out of last place. Even though you think it should have been obvious after Hyunmin got 50 points, as a player, the connection pointing him to Dongmin wasn't obvious and as we saw, even that alliance was shaky as Hyunmin was having second thoughts at the end. If it had gone the other way, Yeonseung would have definitely beat Sujin. You can't really blame Yeonseung for that particular decision with 20/20 Hindsight and behind-the-scenes-audience-vision. That being said, in the early game he definitely did pretty badly with feeling out what other players were going to bet.

I also agree with his decision to go against Dongmin. Yeonseung can't trust Dongmin. Yeonseung knows he's a pushover and he'll just be brushed aside when convenient. Yeonseung is trying to prop himself up as a strong player. Even if he isn't, I give him credit for trying. If he gets eliminated, he goes out fighting, not as a player who gets carried away by the whims of other players. Plus, in the last two games now Dongmin has been unsuccessful in protecting the people he has allied with. Sujin and before, Hweejong. Dongmin talks big and he is a competent player, but only so far as he can use people to his advantage; he hasn't demonstrated the ability to actually protect them

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Shakugan posted:

Another BTS is up.

More Ahyoung/Dongmin comedy gold. I find Ahyoung as funny as Dongmin sometimes; she reminds me of a friend of mine who is super smart but aloof at times, and gets incredibly loud when excited about even small things. It's hilarious every time the players are having some serious discussion and then suddenly Ahyoung bursts out laughing in some other room.

Except Ahyoung has done literally nothing the entire game except be the victim of Dongmin's scolding, which is pretty funny but still, would be nice if she had a chance to actually use her brain.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

BSam posted:

Forget the first death match?

She didn't really do anything there, Juri just played badly.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Davincie posted:

She translated the latin!

That reminds me, both ahyoung and yoohyun speak English, right? I think they could potentially make an effective team just by being able to openly convey information to each other without anyone else understanding.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
And on the subject of language I thought to myself that it's pretty funny how I've watched enough episodes of this and Running Man to know what "individual battle" is in Korean

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Did anyone else feel that the market crash was super obvious?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Roflex posted:

Yeah the market crash was obvious to me too. Some other ideas that could've also worked:

-Nothing useful at all (I just want to see this happen once with these garnet auctions)

I was actually really hoping for this

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I don't get the hate for the alliance play this match. We've been saying how the other players need to team up against Dongmin and Hyunmin if they don't want to keep getting dominated the whole game, and that's what they did. Too bad about the outcome though, I actually wanted Hyunmin to lose so that he would get a taste of his own medicine, but Jongbum kept making hasty bad plays in the deathmatch, and even the Black Mission I knew right away he guessed the wrong thing. The right person won that match, but I felt justice would have been served if it went the other way.

Dongmin was just loving annoying this match. You lost. Shut up and take it. Learn from the MENTALITY KING.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 17, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

qbert posted:

I liked the episode for the Black Mission and the Deathmatch, which I thought were really good, and the drama of the main match, even though I agree that episodes where a majority can just guarantee a win isn't as interesting.

I feel like the main match was too perfect too allow the other contestants to team up against Hyunmin and Dongmin. If you ever wanted to accuse the producers of match rigging, this would be the best evidence.

quote:

My imperfect method for doing the Black Mission, which worked as I watched the episode in real time, was memorize the first letter of each location in order. It's easier to associate a letter with its respective place if it's unique, like "H" for Hardware Store. Then all you would have to do is memorize the order of the repeating letters, like S. Imperfect, but for 12 places in 30 seconds, it worked for me.

Isn't this exactly what Jongbum did?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

qbert posted:

Uh...cool? I never said my way was different. Just responding to a reply that what I did seemed really hard.

We're just saying your original explanation of your method was exactly what Jongbum was doing so I was kind of like...uh yeah, and...? But yeah, I tried to keep up with Jongbum using that method and repeating what he was saying but I couldn't quite keep up, although I still knew that the 4th number was "Chul"-something something!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I think the advantage in the way Jongbum did it (that is remembering the first syllable) is that it helps jog your memory because you are already saying part of the full word.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been following the World Chess Championship so I was all over the board and assumed the game was won at this point, but when Hyunmin didn't take it, I thought I had failed to understand the rules.

Couldn't jongbum have moved his king back to the middle to defend? That's what I was screaming at him to do

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, eastern medicine is not exactly rooted in science. That being said, it's not all fairy tales, there are most likely certain herbs or roots or whatever that do have medicinal properties.

About Dongmin, I understand that as an entertainer, his personr.on the show is probably hammed up for the sake of being entertaining, but sometimes it does feel like a bit of his true inner rear end in a top hat is coming out. Of course it's hard to tell without knowing the subtleties of the language, plus the translator's choice of words, plus the editing, but his jabbering this episode did come off to me as not so...dignified? Also he was just straight up mean to Ahyoung this ep. Like yeah, I get that he scolds her for laughs but he actually called her a terrible players when he said something like, "do you think you'd actually be able to win a black mission?".

V: that is hilarious though

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 19, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
But that's if you make only the most optimal move, right? How many different permutations are there?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Still in the middle of watching but anyone know what the jazzy organ song playing in the background is around the 25 minute mark is?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
All the women this season were pretty bad, unfortunately.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
You can probably blame Dongmin for breaking her over the course of 8 episodes.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
GREAT episode. Yeonseung dominating the game had me grinning so hard, and Yeonjoo was awesome in the deathmatch.

Kim Gayeon :stare: Has she made any appearances in anything else???

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Noooooooo Yeonjoooooo

Subyng
May 4, 2013
That main match was just an absolute mess.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
oh yeah, LOL at Hweejong, he had 3 tries and he is just not genius material.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Davincie posted:

ahyoung had some serious poo poo going on near her lip, hope for her that was just a weirdly disguised microphone

Looked like a zit or something covered up with makeup.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Kyungran was solid throughout the season though. Ahyoung never demonstrated any real abilities and just about should have lost in the first round.

So disappointed that it had to be Juri vs Ahyoung in the first deathmatch. Pretty much anyone would have been a more active participant in the games than Ahyoung, though if Juri had won we would not have gotten the hilarity of Dongmin scolding her constantly. Also Juri looked amazing in the finale and let's not pretend that we don't enjoy attractive looking contestants.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yoohyun seems like a dude I'd want to chill with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Is there any reason why Bum stopped subbing Abnormal Summit?