Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

I think it's more like a 5-episode gap between recording and air time. source: something I think I read somewhere

If this is true, they wouldn't have seen episode 1 by the time they recorded episode 5. When they record 6th they have only seen first episode of s2. So it has to be an episode 1 thing if that created the controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Yeah that was too much. I've lost a lot of respect for Jiwon and I really hope he doesn't win now. There's playing a game and then there's betrayal after begging forgiveness from a previous betrayal, what a despicable person.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Shakugan posted:

Why would you do this to yourself? You've spoiled the winner of season 1 by watching season 2 first. I also think season 1, at this point, was stronger because of the lack of alliance domination.

It doesn't really matter if you know who won season 1, it matters how they won season one. Some people seem to have a fetish for being shocked by surprise or something. Does the journey before the destination mean nothing?

And yeah, season 1 was better because there seemed to be less alliances dicking people over.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 14, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The guy only knows who wins the final deathmatch (and it wasn't a close one anyway), he doesn't know who against or what happened to anyone else. I find the fact that you would immediately not care about watching season 1 if you knew the winner completely bizarre.

I knew who won because I read the season 2 info before I knew anything about the show. I thought the info in the first post was season 1. Season 1 was still fantastic and many surprises where had.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I googled the hacker guy and the first result was his facebook profile which is set to public. Looks like him and Jinho became friends. :3:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

He's at a bit of a disadvantage charisma-wise considering the alliance which stole his ID is made up of famous professional TV people. They had no reason to give back his ID and lied to his face when he asked them for it back. What's a poor nerd to do?

He couldn't assault them on camera to get it back, what kind of strategy and guile are you imagining he could have pulled off in that game? He tried to make a deal but they didn't need him and they intended to kill him as soon as they locked him out of the game.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

It was a really bad idea to trust Jiwon again after the ID hiding. I expected one of his team to defy him on that and stay on the other side and make at least one of the games interesting.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The idea clearly was that players could trade ID's both for strengthening alliances and deception in trading. The cards had to be controlled by the dealer so the trading went appropriately and someone thought that the extra layer could introduce a fun twist without anticipating it going this wrong.

S2 E6: The most disappointing thing was that swapping was Jinho's plan from the start. He was gonna swap ID's with Duhee and probably do something clever to win and be a boss. But we didn't get to see anything clever like that. I very much prefer the clever plays to the mean plays.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Sangmin doesn't promise to help then not help, which makes him an awesome villain in my books. When the magician guy asked for his help and Sangmin didn't intend to help he said "I hope you can work it out using magic."

If there's a game in future where eliminated players come back Eunkyul might respect Sangmin for not lying to him, whereas Duhee (and maybe other eliminated people who didn't appreciate the underhanded strategy) is gonna do everything possible to ruin Jiwon/Yooyoung.

EDIT: It's also hard to blame Sangmin for the fake token as it was given to him along with the real one specifically for a betrayal.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 16, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

s2 e7: Never forget the back of the cards having a different pattern depending on orientation play. That was his best moment and it was awesome. The most genius thing I've seen on the show.

Doubly awesome because he had been excluded from alliances that game and won solely with the solo play. Ah Jinho, I already miss you.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 21, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

I actually kind of think the backs of the cards thing wasn't put in intentionally either. The trick the producers were trying to offer to the contestants was the different colored backs, not the different designs. Jinho just out-clevered the game. It was funny even with the Jinho snubbers knowing the back of card trick none of their scores came close to his and a lot of them threw up total duds. Kyungran was the only one remotely close.

The colour of the cards seems like an obvious red herring to make you spend garnets. The producers seem to like putting in hidden strategies that don't require you to spend any garnets. Like the dice in the last game, everyone was buying them to get good ones instead of swapping and reconfiguring them. EDIT: Remember, Sangmin only managed to make his loaded dice by using one of another players initial dice.

I think in all the games where you can buy something for an "advantage" there seems to be something subtle that renders that advantage moot.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 21, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I think he was just tired of the game. He frequently moaned the last few weeks about how tired he is and how he didn't like the atmosphere anymore. I think he just left it up to chance as his way of giving up.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Not sure what luck has to do with being a genius. Besides being lucky enough to be born smart.

Kinda disliked the whole random chance aspect of the last episode for that reason. Nothing smart or social engineery about rolling dice or being assigned a random card. The games in season 2 have really gone downhill since the first one I think.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

A few people almost did perfect even with imperfect dice. Didn't the congressman guy get 9/10? Didn't even know about reconfiguring till 5 minutes before it started. But yeah the first game at least had a way to use smarts.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Colonel Cool posted:

I'm pretty much obligated to cheer for BoxeR no matter what, but boy is he sure making it hard.

Yeah, what the hell was he thinking? He sorta just spazzed out and took some unconnected high numbers. He was drat lucky not to be dead last.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

JakeP posted:

How does such a thing even exist?

I would guess Asian countries have the western equivalent of a dodgy place which sells Asian kitsch nonsense with indecipherable nonsense emblazoned on them.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Chainsawdomy posted:

Off the top of my head, I'd say give me:
Stephen Fry
David Mitchell
Brian Cox
Richard Ayoade
Victoria Coren
Gabby Logan
Charlie Brooker
Sue Perkins
Ken Livingstone
Claudia Winkleman
Shappi Khorsandi
Someone like Sean Locke or Jimmy Carr to fill the acerbic mockery slot
A young entertainer like Sungkyu or Jiwon to surprise everyone by getting into the final 4.

Someone actually from the UK could probably put together a more diverse list.

Dara O'Briain (Irish comedian with maths and theoretical physics degree)
Derren Brown (mentalist/con artist/actual wizard)
Kevin Ashman (from Eggheads and 4 time world quiz champion)

I'd like to see Derren Brown do it the most. He'd be a tricky bastard. He's probably the inspiration for the TV show The Mentalist cause he wears 3 piece suits too.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 7, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Elysium posted:

I love Jeremy Clarkson, but he would be the Mathematician from the first episode of season 2 (minus the IQ part): Oh, I'm the Lion? Hey guys, I've already won! Bitches, come be in my alliance where I guarantee victory and I will be totally cocky because I'm invincible! Oh wait, I lost, how did that happen?

Nah, Clarkson is really charismatic and knows how to make fun of himself. He'd probably be most like Hongchul, he's loud and confident and takes nothing seriously.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I love how Junghyun is a beast in death matches. Is that 3 in a row he's won? Also (preview spoiler)JINHO IS BACK WITH DOOHEE gently caress YEAH!

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Air Julio posted:

Great deathmatch this week and the winner looked like a stone-cold badass doing it.

edit: He's like Master Roshi or whatever kind of anime wise-man-in-disguise

I loved how at the beginning he was just messing about and seemed to make Jiwon completely underestimate him.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

Yohwan is a bit strange. Like, when Junghyun's partner was running the auction, Yohwan offered his cube for 1, and Junghyun's partner managed to rack up a big score. Makes sense, he and Junghyun were allies, and the idea was they'd both help each other's team out like that, and the two of them would be at the top competing for the win.

But then when the blues came up he kept undercutting Junghyun by 1. Junghyun didn't understand why he was doing that and neither did I. It reminds me so much of the number block auction when Yohwan was working with Jiwon, but then took a high number right near Jiwon's, and either then or later, I forget, took in the pot when he was supposed to send it around again.

Yeah Junghyun was all on board the alliance with Yohwan, but when Yohwan started undercutting him with blue he got spooked and decided to break the alliance because Yohwan obviously had his own agenda.

Yohwan seems to favour shady cheap strategies. Jinho talked a lot about the three bunker rushes in a row on Starcraft, and that pretty much sums up Yohwan's personality to me. He just... acts dishonourably and unsportsman-like. Anything for a win. Not necessarily an absolutely bad thing in games but it makes me dislike him as a person.

He kinda ruins every alliance he's been in trying to do something self serving. But what do I know, maybe it's a pact with Sangmin that Yohwan stirs the poo poo and Sangmin just laughs in disbelief as he wins by default.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I think he means this post.

But I tried to download it and it's stuck on finding peers for 10 minutes. Doesn't seem to be any uploaders.

EDIT: Oh there we go, works now.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 13, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I liked him from the beginning, he was the same colourfully dressed manic variety show kinda guy as Haha from season 1. Loved that guy.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

Well, here's a show called I Live Alone featuring Jinho's tiny apartment.

It's kinda...:shobon:

Yeah :shobon: is the best way to describe it. Hope being a broadcaster works out for him. I liked him having a beer with Doohee and Yohwan, just talking about old times.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Yohwan's card counting only worked perfectly because it was the last hand, if it wasnt the last hand then the remainder would be more than one card added together. It seems like it was just a slightly safer method than Jinho's (which was to memorise the cards which have already been played without using maths)

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The complex question strategy wouldn't be very entertaining to watch though. Would just devolve to both players trying to trick the other with difficult questions to eliminate numbers and the winner would be decided by who was lucky enough to successfully lie with random guesses. The winner would just be the first person to randomly cause the opponent to get 6 penalties and ask a few questions to determine the order of the left over.

I prefer both the players playing in good faith but using different strategies.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

This Post Sucks posted:

I just watched S1E1. This show is like the Gameshow version of Ocean's 11. Even the music fits the theme. I love it. Thanks for opening my world to this!

They use music from those movies so it doesn't seem its a coincidence. I believe one of the main "shocking reveal" songs is directly from Ocean's 12, Yen on a Carousel

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

Season 1 Episode 2:

Don't know if we're doing spoilers, but

AHHHHHHHHHH HOW DID CHANGYEOP GET ELECTED?! :stare:

Nothing makes sense!

Also, what exactly is Sangmin famous for? I looked him up on wikipedia, but all I could find is a group, not him himself.

Korean-famous 90's hip hop/dance group member. Korea's version of one of those guys from the Backstreet Boys.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

CHiRAL posted:

They're on the translator's twitter.

I'm really bad with Korean names so I guess I'll have to wait till there are pictures before I can even tell if Kcelebs I know and like are on there :shobon:

I don't think many of them are super famous. The comedian was on early Running Man once (first Yooruce Willis appearance I think), the webtoon guy did a TEDxSeoul talk, the actress has been in a few things but the actor not so much. Most famous is the politician. Probably so they dont get the famous against non-famous bullshit from last season.

He sounds like a real winner "Kang Yong-suk (born December 3, 1969) is a South Korean lawyer and a current non-partisan politician. He is known for expulsion from the Grand National Party due to his negative sexual remarks on women."

"He later sued South Korean comedian Choi Hyo-jong for "disrespecting the National Assembly" in a skit in Gag Concert."

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 7, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

NowonSA posted:

I'll pay closer attention to the Genius thread, hopefully I can get into season 2!

I have a guess at the first puzzle and a certain answer for the second one. That first one's pretty trippy though.

As best as I can tell the lines of 3 numbers all add up to 22 if you put a 6 in the middle, but that doesn't account for the 13 to ? line which would have 2 numbers adding up to 19.

Oh right, hidden line to the 3 opposite 13?

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 13, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I figured the second one out:

the circle is a red herring, the numbers go from smallest font size to largest font size anti-clockwise following this pattern: 33 +30 63 -14 49 +15 64 -7 57 +7.5 64.5 -3.5 61

So the answer is 64.5 due to alternating halving of +30 and -14

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The criminals played like absolute poo poo in the main match, but the game itself was too heavily weighted toward the citizens anyway, I think- they had the greater numbers, so it would have made sense to leave out the criminal leader completely and just have the citizens playing to win the game. They just took Resistance: Avalon and kind of busted it to allow the citizens exploitative plays which eventually led to the game's outcome. It might have worked in practice if the criminals weren't playing so obviously and trying to cut deals, but I think the game was probably just busted from the start.

Also disappointed nobody tried sabotaging Yongsuk for his bald-faced threatening- I'd rather be going up against goober Kyunghoon than Yongsuk in main matches down the line.

I think the biggest problem was the drawing of lots to decide the order of the foreman who selects the jury. None of the criminals were foremen early on so they were locked out of any chance of influencing the jury selection since they both couldn't select a jury and were a minority who needed to convince two citizens to vote against a selection that was beneficial to them.

If things weren't like this then the leader of the citizens would have to do a lot more work to influence the jury selection and they would've had a bigger chance of being found out.

edit: forgot spoilers

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

sharktamer posted:

If the British did the genius, it would just be filled with d-list celebrities. We have a growing stock of celebrities that are only famous for being on reality shows.

Yeah but we can always imagine a dream one with some people from Eggheads or The Chase, Dara O'Briain, Stephen Fry, Fiona Bruce, Jon Richardson or Benedict Cumberbatch. Maybe James May for a laugh. Maybe some posh wankers from the big name universities like Oxford or Cambridge. Whoever is considered smart as part of their image. EDIT: I forgot David Mitchell or Charlie Brooker, either of them would probably be pretty funny going off on a logic rant about how stupid some game is.

In reality it would probably be as you say, yeah, panel circuit comedians and former contestants on The Apprentice or some other farce.

EDIT: Hmm, too many guys in my suggestions, Sandy Toksvig is very good on QI and Victoria Coren was a pro poker player, they'd be good as well. Jo Brand is pretty clever too.

EDIT2: Oh my god I forgot about Derren Brown, I'd love to see him on a show like The Genius. I want to see if he's as good as he makes himself look on his shows.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 18, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Pretty boring episode. That wasn't a game it was just two unpopular guys getting railroaded to a death match with no recourse.

The game is interesting in theory but once again it was ruined by the order selection process. Funnily enough both this week and last weeks game would be much better if they just switched the processes around. The order of jury foremen determined by popular vote and the order of choosing unique ability cards by random selection. Then in the previous week the criminals could try and popularity their way to a more even distribution of jury foremen while the citizen leader had to be a bit more outspoken to get what he needed and this week the least popular doesn't get stuck with the worst ability.

Having both players being chosen by the main match is silly too. You immediately lose the game theory dynamic that you have to be more circumspect with screwing someone over because they might pick you for the death match. Without it the two most unpopular just got handily stitched up with no consequences.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Yeah it was the cleverest thing that happened in that episode.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Dang, Dongmin has a PC Bang and a restaurant? Guy's doing pretty drat well for himself. I'd never heard of him before watching Abnormal Summit. It's pretty refreshing to see celebrities do smart things with their money like open up businesses. It's not risk free or anything, but there's definitely earning potential there and it's a hell of a lot better than staying at $3k a night hotels, doing drugs, paying for 10+ idiots to travel with you and generally mismanaging money like so many celebs do in the U.S., thinking the gravy train will never end.

Seem to be a thing with South Korean comedians/celebrities in general. Gary and Ha Ha from Running Man both have restaurants as well as a bunch of high profile singers.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Finally watched the BTS clip of Yeonseung explaining why he wrote in Korean numbers. While watching the episode, I didn't understand why Yongseok wrote in such giant numbers, bigger than either of the players the first time they played Black and White II. Does he think he's writing for the sake of some wide angle overhead camera? Did he not notice that hand movements were visible when he was in the audience for the first game? Did he not notice that Ahyoung was trying to camouflage her hand movements? Did he not notice the hand movements of his opponent when he was playing?

Not worthy of Extreme Ways IMO since some form of subterfuge is so obvious that it occurred in the first episode. Only when compared to Yongseok's appaling stupidity does it seem genius.

He didn't seem that invested in it and in the main match he said things like that he lost his taste for the process after the girl was crying over having to send someone to the death match. He said he had to wait for hours after being relegated to the death match while they picked someone else. He wasn't happy. He didn't spend ages agonising over what points to put, he just wrote the first thing he thought of as obviously as possible.

To me it seems like he just gave up and didn't care if he won or lost so didn't put any effort into it.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Tonfa posted:

Not sure if I just have rose-colored glasses but this season seems to have more people just sitting around with their alliances in rooms doing nothing than the other two.

You do have rose colored glasses about series 2. Broadcaster perma-alliance doesn't ring a bell?

Gotta agree with other complainers, the main match was a damp squib. Both teams immediately zeroed in on the leader and it was all over stupidly quickly. Last season I was annoyed at the perma-alliance but this one I'm annoyed at the game designers. Last three seem to have big flaws in their premises.

Criminals versus citizens was over when the random allocation of foremen favored the citizens at the beginning. Ability race was over when the most unpopular two were just targeted with no recourse. This one was over as soon as both sides effectively guessed the leader and focused them.

At least this last game kept the game theory aspect of the loser picking their opponent which led to Hweejong deciding "I'm not gonna do what they want me to do" in the end. I enjoyed that.

edit: forgot about spoilers

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 27, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I think he's only been referred to as "Bandage Face".

Well also "bandage hyung" or "bandage oppa" if my memory didn't make that up.

Meme Emulator posted:

My secret hope is that Sangmin shows up as a rival to the bandage man and offers spoiling goals in the main match that are counter to the winning goals but the prize is black garnets

That would be incredible, also should have Jinho as well as he was the first winner. Have them offer garnets and/or token of life to betray, that'll spice these games up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

The black mission was absolutely ridiculous. Memorising 12 different names and which number they tie to in 30 seconds is a pretty tall order. The only trick I could think of beyond the surname trick was assigning the numbers 1-10 to my fingers from left to right and 11 and 12 to my respective closed fists in order to keep track of which is which without getting flustered.

Seems perfectly set up for a method of loci journey. Just make up a story of travelling from place to place on that bus journey and at each spot there is something unique related to the name taking place.