Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fucker posted:

Ok? :confused: I observed that the art was subpar and you explained why that was the case. The game has less budget, I understand that.

What's par?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Upmarket Mango posted:

Are the character models actual 3D models in game, or just sprites?

Actual models on 2D backgrounds.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

kingcom posted:

I'm positive theres stuff like the Holy Avenger in the game and a huge list of special weapons somewhere. I want to say maybe it just wasn't in the base PHB though.

No, it's in the PHB1. It has like four special properties besides the bonuses to attack, damage, and crits that all magic weapons get, so I'm not sure what Mord's complaining about.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

The general theory with the 4E books is that you're not going to be memorizing the lore anyway, (unless you're one of those) so why not just admit you'll be making it up at tabletime?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

A videogame romance tends to be a thing where you carry a printer five miles for a girl and then she has sex with you. They're kinda weird.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Pretty sure it's been ruled out. In any event including such it means a lot of modeling and animation / programming to be spent on a joke.

Dual-shields is never a joke.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Drifter posted:

That's not the same at all.

It'd be a neat layer to the system given infinite development resources: certain companions have prior knowledge of some enemies and will bark out warnings at the start of combat, instantly filling in some tooltip information.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Lotish posted:

Saying big muscles are and expression of your resolve to be swole would be enough for me.

What if you called Intelligence "Inspiration" instead? Same initial, but perhaps a broader concept than just gray matter. Feels a bit too vague to me, though, now that I think about it.

I think it's an intentional move to stick to D&D ability score names except when a new name is necessary to remove social aptitude implications and generally focus the scope of the ability's portfolio (wisdom becomes perception, charisma becomes resolve).

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

How has this discussion gone on for more than one post where someone said "Eh, maybe a little weird but who cares?"

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

If you have low intelligence you think those giant-headed mauls in fantasty art are warhammers. High int means you know to look for the small-headed ones.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

uaciaut posted:

And again re: weight being forced to go Str because you can't carry the minimum required would be, imo a bad decision.

I'm pretty sure the current design is that anything equipped (including your alternate weapons) doesn't count against your personal inventory. Strength is gonna effect your ability to carry around a bandolier of potions, not your ability to perform your basic combat functions.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

uaciaut posted:

Again though i don't understand what an attribute HAS to govern a single combat stat and why an attribute (or multiple attributes) can't affect multiple combat stats at the same time. It would be so much easier to simply let class kits affect how heavily an attribute affects a stat for THEIR class and modify their effectiveness with feats, etc.

Que sera, sera though.

That adds unnecessary complication to the mechanics to settle a very minor intuition issue. Not worth it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Change intelligence to "potency" and have it also affect your sperm count.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Death to prescriptivist classes.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

MartianAgitator posted:

So why even have a +damage stat? If damage increases linearly, won't it become less and less relevant all game? Why is a +damage stat more interesting or valuable than getting bonus damage based on your class?

Isn't having a +damage stat a system mastery trap? It's easy to think, "Well, 1)I don't know how useful having more bag slots will be, 2)pumping health is a losing game, 3)these other stats are kinda esoteric, so: I'm gonna make a big-damage druid!" And then the druid does marginal-to-moderate damage instead of marginal damage using the few skills he has that actually inflict damage.

Why not make Intellect do something cooler anyway? It's such a generic quality you could get away with making it do almost anything.

You seem to be assuming that the damage bonus is flat and additive. I don't think there's been any indication to that effect.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think I understand any of this.

Most of the magical items that rely on alignment are the ones that are either artifacts from a divine realm or cursed by demons.

Alignment based classes are even mainly given an alignment to hold towards because that was the playstyle that made ideal sense when they wrote for the class, but it is important to remember that originally rangers could only be good aligned, but were later allowed to be neutral and evil as well. The designers had an idea in mind, but I think it is in the privilege of the DM to consort to whether to actually follow this depending on the situation and whether it makes sense or not.

I am not entirely sure what you mean with the last part. Does a paladin lose all his abilities because he accidentally equips a different helmet? Because that isn't written anywhere that I know of.

That is just simplifying things and I'm not a big fan of oversimplifying for the sake of it.

Outlining is fine, but outright cutting things out to make it simpler has a sad side-effect of making things more shallow as well.

Do you like not understand that an RPG character is more than just what's written on a character sheet, or are you just being willfully obtuse?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Do any weapons deviate from the normal 4:1 ratio of stamina damage to health damage?

From what we've heard, stamina/health is a player-only thing. If your question is "Do any enemies deviate from the normal ratio?", then I wouldn't expect it. That change, even if properly telegraphed, would have a negligible impact on your tactical choices and your strategic choice is still "try not to die" except with an arbitrarily higher or lower punishment. All it'd be doing is subverting the system for the sake of it.

You could spend time crafting a scenario where that enemy is in an optional encounter you know about ahead of time, placed partway through a chain of encounters that demand to be done in one shot. Then there's a choice to either go after the riskier encounter but potentially break through before taking significant damage or go after the safer encounter that's been designed to have no easy solutions. That'd be a whole lot of effort to get right, and I'm not sure about the value of the payoff.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

This is where I misunderstood things. I had assumed that NPCs and PCs/party members had the same character sheets, so to speak, such that it would be possible to knock enemies out (eg. when doing a pacifist run/conduct) rather than kill them in some circumstances. Do you have a link to the update where they talked about this?

Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't recall any mention of enemy stamina, and the system as-stated wouldn't make sense for an entity which is only designed to be active for a single encounter.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Sethmaster posted:

wut?

Tabletop Gaming 101 is that you can change whatever rules you like to fit whatever situation you encounter. Making house rules as been the cornerstone of table gaming for over several decades already. And this goes for ALL tabletop roleplaying game systems.
There's no bullshit Rule #1 in any type of tabletop game I encounter.

Have you even play in a roleplaying tabletop session at all?

So what in the world are you talking about?

House ruling is a thing, but at a certain point I'm not sure why you're bothering plastering a thousand house rules across a system when you could either make your own or play completely freeform. A good system is carefully considered so that you don't have to make house rules all the time. The entire point of your group agreeing on a system of rules is to give your game structure so that it can progress faster with fewer disagreements. If it's consistently not doing that, then it's a bad system.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Drifter posted:

That sounds like a rather interesting range of games you are playing.

Saints Row, Saints Row, and Saints Row?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I can't remember- will there be restrictions on what kind of armour you can wear? I know monks need to take damage to use their powers, so armour isn't as useful as them, but can a chanter, ranger or mage wear full plate? Because I so want to make a chanter who sings as he wades into battle :syoon:

Anyone can wear any armor--even monks--but heavier armor slows your action rate.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Aren't companions always added late in development because they are complicated?

Specific companions, yes, but generally you plan for the fact that companions will exist early on.

So you don't, for example, come up with the epithet "the Lone Wanderer" for your player character, and then they spend the entire game accompanied by a dog and a rough-talking ex-raider.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Eddain posted:

Everything should have a "poke with stick" option. Mostly for comedic effect, but if it works just once it'd be worth it.

If D&D has taught me anything it's that "poke it with a (ten foot) stick" is almost always the smartest option.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Octo1 posted:

What do the athletics and lore skills do anyway?

Athletics improves your ability to stuff nerds in lockers. Lore improves your ability to argue about RPG minutia on the Internet.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Impermanent posted:

I was filled with nerd-shame the moment I realized this plan would work on me perfectly.

Some of us gave extra money to get bonus manual content.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

You can have a great time playing Pathfinder, but I'd argue that has a lot more to do with good players than the system.

This is true for any pen-and-paper RPG. The best thing they can do is give you a framework everyone can live with and then get out of your drat way.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Krowley posted:

Yeah, dumping stats that low isn't really a trap as much as just poor judgement. Bringing a near-sighted character into battle is gonna suck, no matter how smart or strong he is.

Please don't zatoichi-shame.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Nothing bad about that when they're situational or utility enough. Who cares if you use your per-encounter knockdown every fight - the important thing is there's still a huge decision there: When and where to use it.

And even an ability that's as non-situational as possible, "attack for extra damage", implies a strategic decision at the character-building level: do you take free damage per fight or opt for an ability that offers something better but in a more limited tactical situation?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

SurrealityCheck posted:

It feels like if you have abilities which are limited per encounter there is a weighting to be done of the form "do I want my limited AOE to be more powerful, or be able to get it all off quickly".

Doesn't action speed only affect recovery, not animations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

double nine posted:

The best form of flattery ...

All art is theft.

All theft is art.

• Locked thread