Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Fintilgin posted:

I'm perfectly fine with it, bit maybe you should just "manage expectations" and change the names of the classes from fighter/rogue to something where people have less inbuilt D&D preconceptions?

Like warrior/swashbuckler or something? Or Defender/stabasaurus rex.

I'd be willing to bet not having classes named after the classic D&D classes would upset people more than having them function slightly differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Megazver posted:

Dude, statistically like 80-90% of people playing RPGs with romance actually do romance. Frankly, I find these goony posts about 'romance ewwww cooties' way weirder and sadder. *pat pat* It's okay to pretend to romantically like someone for a while to vicariously experience the rush of falling in love all over again. It's not just for girls. No one will make fun of you for it.

Most posts i've seen on the subject are more about how they are poorly written and usually feel shoehorned in, rather than saying they shouldn't be in at all.

edit: beaten

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Captain Oblivious posted:

3.5 D&D didn't really have any mechanisms for providing disincentives to hitting another party member except doing a poo poo load of damage until they decide prioritizing you is a good idea, so they'd basically map more closely to any given 4E Defender class than a 3.5 Edition Fighter.

Did the fact you provoked an attack of opportunity when trying to walk away from the fighter and toward the wizard not count as a tanking mechanic? I mean it was nowhere near as complex as what some of the defender classes are capable of but it served a similar function.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

MegaGatts posted:

You're effectively moving options from one area of the game to another while making the governing attributes counter intuitive.

How about during character creation at the part where you pick attributes right next to intelligence in big glowing red letters is "THIS IS THE STAT WHAT INCREASES THE DAMAGE YOU DO", there its no longer counter intuitive and puts more focus on moment to moment tactics rather than character building (and even as someone who likes character building, the balance between those two things is way off in most rpgs).

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

CottonWolf posted:

How does alignment actually work in D&D? I've never really understood it, but then again, I've never played full on PnP D&D. Is it set at birth? As in, is a child is born and a character with detect alignment can look at them and say 'Little Johnny's going to grow up to be a chaotic evil psychopath' or is it more fluid than that? I remember that in PS:T you could move alignment, but PS:T also broke a load of other traditional D&D rules, so that's probably not a good guide.

Its up to the DM really, but trying to make alignment nuanced or fluid in pulp rear end D&D where good and evil are tangible places you can go visit is probably difficult and overall not worth it.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Two and a half pages of alignmentchat in a thread for a game that uses a reputation system.

People have very strong opinions on the mechanics of elfgames.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

DatonKallandor posted:

I'd make special ammo un-sellable though - just to make people more likely to use them.

I almost never used them in the infinity engine games but that was entirely because it was a massive hassle to change ammo types because you had to enter the inventory which paused the action. As long as its given some sort of quick-slot or you can change ammo by right clicking the weapon on the action bar or something that is easy I will use them all the time.

They should be sellable/buyable though.

This is all assuming they are interesting magical arrows that explode/debuff/status effect or whatever and not just dumb +1 arrows.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Have they actually stated whether duel wielding will be in the game?

As a followup question will the game have any references to Drizzt Do'Urden (sic?)?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

VanSandman posted:

This hasn't been true in a long, long time. Even in 4e it wasn't really true.

If you have never destroyed a boss in half a turn before the rest of the party even got to move then you have never properly built a fighter.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

hangedman1984 posted:

or played a sub-optimal wizard

I don't know what spell you are casting that lets you kill a boss instantly in half a turn but your dm is garbage for not making them immune/resistant to it.

Granted the dm was garbage in my game for not giving him more health and AC.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Corvinus posted:

After learning a bit about MMA and sword techniques, and some of the physics behind it, I can't get over how absurdly unrealistic dual wielding is and how it appears in games. The only times it happened was with certain dueling styles (the offhand ends up being a short defensive weapon), or for showy displays. Dual wielding in actual warfare was a good way to get yourself killed.

Video games are not, nor should they aspire to be, real life.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Berk Berkly posted:

They should aspire to be logically coherent and self-consistent though.

Yes, but that is a very different thing from being realistic.

Edit: You can use two weapons at the same time to attack faster is a thing that doesn't take much suspension of disbelief to buy into and serves to add mechanical depth.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 4, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Sort of OT, but do people really still roll for stats in their PnP groups instead of using point buy? The first group I ever played with in 7th grade realized rolling was stupid.

As long as you let people reroll if they get an absolutely abysmal stat spread it works out fine. I don't think I've ever not rolled for stats.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Demiurge4 posted:

Going by the mood of the thread I must be the only person who thinks this, but I thought that the Anomen romance (for a female Bhael Spawn) was very well done. It could be because Anomen's character arc was already written and the romance just ties into that though. Now I know Anomen is almost universally hated but I never said my position was popular :v:

I hated Anomen when i was younger but really like him now, he is arguably the most interesting character in that game.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

AXE COP posted:

Wynne the old healer lady would turn on you in the Mage tower for... some reason I can't remember.

You have to say "I'm going to go up to the top of this tower and murder all of the wizards". I remember accidentally pressing it either because the choice itself was misleading or i just wasn't paying attention.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Jimbot posted:

The thing that always bothered me with NPC interaction and romances is that they're always one sided. It's always you initializing and advancing conversations. It's always you who voices concern and fixes problems. The best bit of NPC interaction with the player character Bioware has ever written, for me at least, was in the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 2 where Liara asks how Shepard is doing. It was the only time (at least as far as I remember, maybe I'm wrong) where a companion of yours asks you a question on your state of mind and health and was supportive of you regards to your response.

It's nice to be the one answering questions and having companions help you out for a change - outside of combat of course.

Thats not just a romance thing, its good when NPCs ask the main character questions about things or just generally demonstrate any amount of agency. It makes the characters and the world feel more believable.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Whether it's taking itself seriously or being a parody full of pop culture references.

Fallout mixed those two things pretty well.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

JebanyPedal posted:

It didn't really though, that was one of the most criticized parts of Fallout 2 and it was minimal in Fallout 1 and restricted almost only to random encounters. Fallout 3 kind of reduced them to that again and so did New Vegas, I don't think there were many people that really liked the overtly silly parts of Fallout 2, they were out of place and didn't mesh well with the rest of the game.

I liked fallout 2 but i was mostly referring to all of the other ones which did it better.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I don't see why they wouldn't move around in groups, humans are inherently social creatures even if you strip them down to just instinct.

The source of magic being souls rather than intelligence also allows them to have things like casters in groups of undead. It seems like they covered their bases pretty well for allowing room to do whatever they want with undead mechanically.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Dark souls is twitchy in the sense that if you have good reflexes and timing you can avoid ever taking damage without thinking about it too much, or you can be very methodical and pay close attention to every enemies attacks and patterns and react accordingly. It really depends on how you want to play.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

CaptainPsyko posted:

Have you actually played NWN2?

Because... No. This is t really true of that game. (I mean, you could make it true with a whole ton of custom work but... No, NWN2 was very much not really built for cooperative multiplayer on its main, Obsidian designed, campaigns. Aside from maybe SoZ I guess.)

SoZ was the only one that specifically discouraged multiplayer actually.

Also playing NWN2 with friends is a ton of fun.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
There is a resting mechanic (or else the distinction between Health and Stamina would be meaningless) but I don't think it allows you to rest after every fight. Pretty sure ropekid made a post about it ITT somewhere.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Munin posted:

For pretty drat epic in their way boss battles I would point to some of the more modern Ys games (...). Obviously not that good a guide for RTwP games.

On that note, what are the memorable fights from games like BG for people around here?

Oath in Felghana remains one of the best action rpgs of all time, in no small part because it has boss fights easily on par in depth and fun to most character action games.

In terms of memorable fights from Infinty engine games I really enjoyed pretty much all of the bhaalspawn fights in ToB, also just generally anytime you fought another adventuring party because they could use all the same tricks you could.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

verybad posted:

It's actually a really loving good thing in a party-based game like this that not every unit requires the same amount of micro. You don't want every character to have six billion active abilities, because a. it gets tedious to micromanage all those abilities and b. it's just a party of 6 wizards at that point so why even have different classes.

A million times this.

There is nothing wrong with having characters that you can just set up and forget about for a bit while you manage the more complex classes, it does not make them any less vital to the party and it certainly doesn't make the games mechanics less deep.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Active abilities aren't the only tactical choice in a game like this stuff like placement, equipped weapon, who you focus your attacks on, etc. Are all really important and are basically the foundation of games like this and can potentially be more interesting than playing whack-a-mole with a fighters cooldowns.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

epitasis posted:

^^ quotebait

Haha

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

AnonSpore posted:

And even if the party lets you off with some strongly worded warnings, that's still the game essentially telling you you're playing the game wrong.

The most direct way I've ever seen a game tell me I'm playing it wrong it when "Influence check: Failure" popped up in dialogues in NWN2 because I didn't min max a characters relationship stat good enough. In comparison a short cutscene where the party members tell me I'm being a dick is fine.

That being said though, i prefer having at least some kind of influence system to not having one. Even if it encourages only ever saying what you know they want to hear.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Kanfy posted:

I would hope it'd be avoidable if you take the correct actions though, I'm not a huge fan of being forced to use less interesting party members over more interesting ones no matter how realistic it may be. There should be better ways to solve conflicts in the party and having two people who greatly dislike each other can be a lot more interesting in the long run than just "they try to kill each other".

Yeah this. I really like party infighting in rpgs but I feel like it shouldn't always be set in stone.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I always thought keldorn was a cool character, primarily because he was incredibly chill basically serving as the "Well roleplayed" paladin to anomens "Lawful Stupid" paladin. Him just deciding to suddenly kill whats her face never really made sense to me.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

CottonWolf posted:

Why do you think people go so up in arms about the strength governing magic/intellect governing how hard you hit people thing?

I always just assumed that getting upset on the internet about minor things that you don't really care about was some sort of bizarre modern method of venting.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
At least in NWN2 your party could carry you at the end if you made a rogue, no such luck with the sewer in bloodlines.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Tech and guns can be pretty powerful, especially late game, it just requires alot more planning than a magic run. That said there is a mod that makes stores sell alot more component items for tech crafting and one that gives guns (particularly the early game ones) some buffs that make it alot easier to get off the ground with that type of character, and I'd recommend them if anyone is considering going back to Arcanum to try a tech character for the first time.

Also it was stupid as hell and didn't function at all as it should have but i always kind of liked that you could switch to real time and usually used it as an auto complete battle button during easy combats.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Basic Chunnel posted:

As long as I've been here "grognard" has been shorthand for the sort of backseat designers with a "more is more" approach to mechanics (and thus an antipathy toward the refinement of design that's happened over the last 10+ years), the sort you typically find at the Codex.

Yeah, this combined with being really good at abusing mechanics is the only way ive ever seen grognard used.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I feel like, in general, voice acting in video games is usually pretty slow and has a lot of pauses between lines. Like a subtitle in an RPG usually pops up before someone begins talking and sticks around after a character is finished speaking. It's especially great when one character is supposed to be interrupting another and there's like a second long gap between the lines.

Final fantasy 10 was the worst game about this ive ever played, it was like there was a load time between lines.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

The MSJ posted:

and I also hope that there are no long sequences with no room to breathe between setpieces.

Those can work fine as long as the player is warned ahead of time. The reason those sequences are a pain in the rear end is the game trains you to burn all of your strongest spells because you can rest between fights and you don't realise that you are unable to do so in a couple of the final areas until you have already wasted too many of your precious castings to proceed.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Scorchy's url is broken, Here is the full article.

I feel like BG1 could have worked on a console but not the ps1, and not with that control scheme.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

El Pollo Blanco posted:

90% of videogame music is pretty awful, so I can understand this. But it's not really offensively bad, it's usually just background noise.

Its the same for 90% of movie music and regular music as well really.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
He knew how to fast travel, he just decided to try to walk to the town without it not realizing thats not really a viable option.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Lotish posted:

As someone who didn't play Arcanum (I own it from GoG now but I've only gone as far as making a character), this seems really silly. You can fast travel to a place you've never been no problems but it's not actually feasible to walk there? At least the Elder Scrolls games make you visit a place first.

Then again I hear Arcanum has a lot of silly things about it. I did like the silly character creation options, though. Some of those are fantastic.

The thing about arcanum is that its "fast travel" in the same way there is fast travel in daggerfall, where you can walk somewhere but it takes literal hours of walking through empty woods. They really should have just had a screen edge that forced you onto the map screen like fallout since it is functionally the only method of moving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
This discussion about whether unfinished UI art is better than finished UI art is going nowhere. Though if people want the option to be able to turn off all of the art assets in the UI it wouldn't really bother me.

• Locked thread