Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Most of the trailer looked great but, uh, what's going on with that fireball? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

My question would be whether this attribute system allows for big, dumb, brutish warrior type characters?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

How are we pronouncing Pallegina because, uh...

edit: I can't get over this, the hottie paladin's name is a portmanteau of vagina and paladin. Was she named by a backer or something?

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 15, 2014

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

This guard thing is blowing my mind.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Was there a conscious decision to make a D&D-like game but stripped of all reference to LotR? I'm as over LotR as anyone but wasn't it the most popular and credible aspect of D&D?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Even as a diehard BG2 fan I'd say it's a good game in SPITE of AD&D not because of it. AD&D is garbage.

Bioware have always been terrible at mechanics though. If they didn't have AD&D to copy/paste in there's no chance the games would have been as playable and deep as they were.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The lesson to be learned from all this is that classes are bad.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone have any idea how the various infinity games sold relative to each other?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Are we going to be in the dark regarding system requirements right up til release pretty much? I need to replace my laptop. :saddowns:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Hey in icewind dale 2 did the improved initiative feat actually do anything?

It was required for the sick forester/toughness/improved initiative build.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Balance doesn't matter in single player games.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Can one weapon occupy multiple weapon sets?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I thought Arcanum's classless character system was great and wish more devs would steal or build off it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I'll be interested to see whether/under what circumstances enemies intentionally concede disengagement attacks.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone else think it should be switched around so that the red portrait overlay is health and the smaller sidebar is stamina?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I just feel health is more important and needs the big red flashing danger signal even if stamina is what we are going to be looking for most of the time.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Are the different types of godlike equally common?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I find interest in linguistics indistinguishable from schizophrenia, but that's just me.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It was okay, but as Gesicht said, they were too big to have so little going on in them. Either pack them with encounters and quests, or make the wandering aspect more like Fallout where you only load into encounters, with the rest being map travel.

High density all the time is monotonous, like wanting a song to always be loud and the same tempo. You need dynamics and contrast.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Sensuki posted:

We are not sure yet. But based on the currently known information, I'm going to guess it's the Barbarian, Monk and Druid that don't get a companion in the original game IF there are in fact only 8 companions.

The only 100% confirmed classes are Rogue (Eder), Paladin (Pallegina), Cipher (dude in the pic above) and Fighter.

Suspected companions are Aloth (Wizard), Sagani (Ranger), Kana Rua (Chanter) and Cadegund (Priest)

With those 7 there's currently four males, three females and a representative of each race. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fighter companion is a female non-human godlike or something.

There was a monk in the zombie bridge battle painting and concept art.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

What are the system requirements for the beta?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The 3 goals of:

1 - attributes define what a character is good at
2 - class defines what a character is good at
3 - all attributes are equally useful to each class

are logically self-negating.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Sensuki posted:

Well all of the attributes are not equally useful to each class though, even in the current attribute system.

Intellect is far and away the best choice for Priests, for example.

That makes my point. You physically can't have all 3 at once.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

coffeetable posted:

dunning_kruger.txt

Feel free to address my post rather than just calling me an idiot.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bears and ogres would easily one shot crit. even higher level mages in BG so that's not much of a change by itself.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Are the beta maps as big as BG1 maps?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

What would people think about limiting disengagement bonuses to real attacks and adding a retreat general ability that lets a character move backwards a small distance without penalty?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

rope kid posted:

Plate is inherently better than other armors but it has a higher base cost and is found later in the game. You don't find suits of plate until you are already finding Fine suits of other armor. Fine plate doesn't appear until around the time you find Exceptional suits of armor.

In Nick Carver's recent full progression, I think he had two characters in modded unique brigandine at the end of the game.

Does this mean you're doing levelled loot tables?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Mymla posted:

I'll absolutely complain if PoE turns out to still have most of the problems of the IE games in it. But I did, on the whole, enjoy BG2 and PS:T. They just have heaps of poo poo that need to be pruned out, and pretty much every RPG since has been vastly superior.

You're an idiot.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

frajaq posted:

I'm so glad Engagement is going to be a thing in this game, I've been playing the Enhanced Editions games lately and its really frustrating when you're out in the open and enemies can just walk past your frontline fighters to eat the squishy mage at the back

Cast mirror image.

e: or command or invisibility or stoneskin or colour spray or blind or charm or sleep or dimension door or etc

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 25, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I never rest spammed, had no problem with enemies moving through my front line and thought BG2 was a pretty fun game actually.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

As long as it's not like the IWD games where stuff as important as elven chain was easily missable random loot.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Who is it at Obsidian with the hard-on for beetle enemies and what have they got against mantises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How dare you suggest that BGII was anything but a perfect gift from the gods for all future games to judged against and found unworthy!

It wasn't perfect but how many other games from 15 years ago still have active threads here?

• Locked thread