Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I'm just catching up with this game after realizing that it comes out in a month and have been giving the beta a shot.

Is there a way to spawn/create items? I saw that additem was taken out a while back and I just want to mess around with some builds before the game is properly out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They're fixing the stats at least, right?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Weapons have individual attack speed independent from a character's Dex stat (when it works, at least) right? Is there a way to check what it is or a list somewhere?

Trying to decide what the best weapon for a ranged cipher would be and whether a slower but more powerful one would be worth it or if just pure attack speed to build focus would be the way to go.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ranged cipher with blunderbuss is boss. The focus-on- hit talent works with each fragment. Max focus seems to be twice start-of-combat focus.

edit: If we get another Backer Beta build next week (as the official forum seems to indicate?) and that build has Dexterity working again, I plan to try a ranged cipher with something like 15 might, 14 dex, 19 Int, biting whip, draining whip, ruffian weapon set. That'll let me get 21 Int for conversation options, powerful damage, and decent speed. I like having a little extra speed with the Cipher because hitting *first* with the blunderbuss or with crowd control can make a big difference.

This is exactly what I'm planning on going with as well, unless something drastic gets changed between now and the final release. Blunderbuss to open/build Focus, pistols to shoot stuff in-between spells.

Speaking of which, can someone confirm how prolonged firing with dual-wielding pistols works? Is it:

Shoots first pistol
*Recovery time*
Shoots second pistol
*Recovery time*
Reloads first pistol
Shoots first pistol
*Recovery time*
Reloads first pistol
Shoots first pistol

and so on, or do the pistols alternate even after the initial volley? If you have one really good pistol and one really lovely one, would it be better to unequip the lovely one for long fights so that you're only firing/reloading the good one?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well they're marked as one-handed items, but their description specifically mentions needing two hands to reload them. I just took that to mean that you can dual-wield them but can't reload and fire at the same time, thus my question.

Also is there any way to see all possible/potential abilities/talents? It'd be nice to be able to plan some stuff out in advance (especially spells/abilities) without having to either risk taking a spell/talent you won't want later or having to cheat yourself up a bunch of levels to see what'll be available later.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There definitely needs to be a new thread when the game comes out properly. This thing's going to be over 360 pages by then, with a lot of the info/discussion being outdated and irrelevant.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kurtofan posted:

Rename Pillars of Eternity GTA V.

Name it GTA V PC Version.

Also it still wouldn't be the most shameless attempt to snipe a big game's release. Elite: Dangerous came out on Dec 16th and isn't on Steam. Purely by coincidence, this masterpiece just also happened to come out on Dec 16th, featuring such great fake review quotes as "Dangerous is well worth the money..."

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man I really hope the last beta drops this week so we can stop talking about the thrilling subjects of walking mechanics and playing video games Objectively Wrong.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ladolcevita posted:

People, have some self-respect for your own worths as consumers. If any of you didn't like some minor aspect of PoE (or any game or any consumer object that you may buy), I would expect and hope that you would bitch about it and make suggestions for how to change it to your liking. I may not give an F about that minor aspect that you care about, but I drat well would not question your sanity for giving an F. That's how poo poo gets done in life, you fight for what you want, on the assumption that everyone else is doing the same in their own interest; may the one who wants it more get it.

This isn't actually how poo poo gets done in life and also this is a video game you loving doofus.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm reminded of the complete opposite in FFXII where you could fail your best chance at getting the greatest weapon simply because you opened one of four unmarked completely ordinary treasure chests.

The best part is that the first chest you can't open is like right loving there in front of your face an hour into the game so there's no chance that you'll miss it.

Also the other fun FFXII chest scenario where an item is just in a completely random chest but has like a 10% chance to actually spawn in the chest, which only has like a 25% chance to spawn itself. I think one of the best accessories in the game is in just some random chest in a high-level area that isn't actually difficult to get to, but has like a 2% chance to appear because gently caress you. I loved FFXII, but that loot system was hilariously awful.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I searched for "dude with sweet mustache and a big-rear end gun" and a picture of a baby dressed as Hitler was like the 10th result.

~The Internet~

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The Dumbhold looks pretty. Can't wait to spend way too much time loving around and upgrading it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a good lore video out there for PoE's world? Preferably something that focuses on the broad strokes rather than a guy listing fictional deity names for 30 minutes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pulling a really nice weapon that you know an enemy has in an encounter to use it against a handful of enemies seems like a super specific issue to have with a system that makes the other 99.9% of the game way more convenient.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I haven't gotten a chance to play the newest BB yet, but how are Chanters now that their healing is (presumably) fixed to not be super OP? Trying to decide whether to go with a Chanter or Priest as my third caster along with a wizard and the cipher I'll be playing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of companions, will they all be available from the start (or at least past whatever the obligatory tutorial section is)? Or will some require getting to certain points in the game?

e: Nevermind, I forgot that you can create custom ones, which takes care of my potential concern that you won't be able to make a specific party until a certain point in the game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Will Cultures be changed at all before the final release? I know having an option for every single possible pair of bonuses would be kind of ridiculous, but it seems like kind of a waste to have two separate options that give +2 Lore, and +1 Stealth/Survival.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Has anyone started putting a theoretical party together yet? I'm looking at the list of companions and am getting some selection anxiety trying to figure out what I want to run with on my first playthrough. At first I was thinking something like barbarian/fighter front line, cipher/priest/chanter mid, and a wizard in the back but that seems like it doesn't have enough single-target damage. So then I was thinking about playing a monk to replace the barbarian, which has the bonus of letting me use the cipher companion instead of having to make a generic barb.

I could use some ideas from people who actually know what they're doing in this game and/or are more creative than I am.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

quote:

For too long, RPGs have ruined the concepts of Dragons, Elves, Magic, Crafting, Gear, Looting.. etc..

Thanks a lot Rope Kid, you loving ruined Dragons you dick.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How are people playing their Chanters? I know you can slap some heavy armor on them since that doesn't affect their chanting, but do people actually use them as melee fighters? Having Con be marked as a highly recommended attribute for them threw me off since I figured they're mainly supposed to just stand in the back and give buffs/debuffs to everyone.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Put in those terms, The Witcher should be an industry nadir, yet goons cannot get off CDProjekt's dick. The Witcher series was fine because it features lots of tits and meaningless, random loving but is very implicitly Not For Girls, whereas Bioware openly courts that demo and talks about reaching female gamers. That's the problem with Bioware romances.

Eh, plenty of people have a problem with the Witcher's downright childish approach to sex/nudity and think it's easily those games' weakest points. Like the Triss Playboy Shoot pre-order bonus thing that was just a bunch of CGI pictures of a naked Triss was really dumb and got plenty of poo poo from people.

That doesn't change the fact that those games are set in a fairly interesting world and have quests/stories/characters that actually manage to play around in shades of grey rather than having your usual "Would you like to save these orphans for no reward or burn the orphanage down and desecrate their bodies?" morality 'choices'. Plus people like CDP because they're a consumer-friendly developer, who constantly talk about how much they hate DRM and make PC-only games that look amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pillars of Eternity - Something something shotgun wizard

• Locked thread