Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Awww yeah, finally I can stop worrying about managing my pledge, it's all taken care of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had no problem completing my pledge but I'm getting zero physical rewards/add-ons, so I guess it's a problem only for those who are?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Romance nothing, give me a good bromance.

Garrus/Shepard :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gog.com have a D&D collection at 80% off as part of the winter sale at the moment, for anybody interested. I finally picked up digital copies of the BG series and Planescape: Torment, as well as getting the Icewind Dale games and Temple of Elemental Evil for the first time... now I just have to find the time to play them :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ugh, nothing is more disappointing than hearing about a game with an interesting premise (like Secret World) and then hearing it's an MMO, guaranteeing I'll never play it. :sigh:

From a purely selfish and personal standpoint, I hope Obsidian isn't "wasting" time working on one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Scorchy posted:

Secret World is great. I don't think the MMO part should be a deterrent; it's grown from more adventure game roots than RPG ones and so you have puzzley elements to every quest, even the kill ones. My favourites times were running around for hours solving puzzles, stealthing around, and not really having to kill anything. The writing is a joy once you get use to it, and it seriously reeks of atmosphere top to bottom. As long as you don't go in expecting some fast-paced, grindy combaty MMO-thing I think it's a pretty cool game, and it's F2P anyway at this point.

I really, really, really detest MMO-style quests (the likes of "collect 10 bear asses" or "go and fight 12 types of these creatures" etc), are those in there at all? And will I be cut off from actual content if I'm not willing to team up with other players to do it (which I'm not willing to do)?

It's a moot point anyway since I just looked it up and the game still costs money to buy, and I'm not going to pay cash for it on the off-chance it's the first MMO in history not to end up a tedious treadmill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The rogue sounds very interesting, especially the ability to break off engagements and get out of attack range if there is clear space available. Conceptually I like the ranger but I don't think I'd be able to play as one, too much reliance on the animal companion would make me feel like a jerk (in a computer game!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Loved the spirit of that update, and the explanation of the stages of being Undead is pretty drat interesting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rope kid posted:

I was running a combat playthrough today and was going around getting feedback from people. Sorry I couldn't make it.

Hang on a second.... you're not sorry at all! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

double nine posted:

I also wonder if degenerating into deeper stages of undeath is reversible? As in, is a revenant who consumes sufficient mortal flesh able to regenerate some of its skin and/or intelligence?

Based on the update, the best they can ever manage is to (temporarily) halt the decomposition, not reverse it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It makes sense there will be at least somebody out there who is desperately trying to find a way to reverse and permanently halt the inevitable, especially considering the update mentions the people who undergo this process voluntarily are seeking immortality. I like the idea of an intelligent undead desperately trying to cling on to their mind and escape the inevitable decline into a ravening, mindless monster, and just how far they might be willing to go to achieve their goals.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I own Dark Souls and I should probably try to play it before GFWL shuts down and it requires fan-mods to play, but I have so much else waiting to be played, including Stick of Truth. It's a nice problem to have, at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Why couldn't you eat pigs alive? Do pigs not have souls in this bastard universe? Or do they have to be rational souls or something? And if it's soul force, does eating a Paladin (with their ~BuRnInG sOuLs~) slake your fampyr hunger longer than eating a normal dude/dudette?

Fampyrs go out for Paladin the way British people go out for vindaloo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

namad posted:

Having just played through the stick of truth I am really impressed with the level of polish and small detail that went into that game. It makes me even more sure that pillars of eternity will be amazing. I feel like stick of truth (and even more so in the future pillars of eternity) will prove to everyone that the reason obsidian developed a reputation for sometimes releasing unfinished games had nothing at all do with their expertise or desires (but instead were just due to the way publishers contract out work). Obsidian gets RPG's, they get world building, they get fleshing out characters, they get the importance of good npc barks. I wish I could cyrogenically freeze myself so that I could go play pillars of eternity right now!

In the South Park thread a guy who works at Ubisoft said that when they came on board the game had been in the process of almost being rushed out the door by THQ before it was ready in a last ditch effort to save themselves from bankruptcy. We were that close to another Publisher-enforced rushjob being blamed on Obsidian.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

I always loved the Kangaxx the Lich fight because me and my friend played BG2 at the same time. Accidentally and independent of each other, we stumbled into his abode on the same day and he kicked both of our green asses with equal force. Afterwards, we kept talking and mostly jokingly complaining about it for quite some time.

I was pretty young at that time so it took me few years before I managed to beat him without cheating but I will always remember it.

I've still never beaten Kangaxx without cheating.... because using Slayer Form is definitely cheating!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pillars of Eternity: [Shrug] [Stoic - Minor]

Looking forward to playing this!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

X_Toad posted:

Didn't Thomas Edison do something like that once as part of his smear campaign against Tesla and Westinghouse?

It was one of his low-paid workers, Edison just took credit for it :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe the cruel orphans are eagerly waiting to see puppies get cruelly murdered, and you'll gain enormous reputation gains with them?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

Is that giant-size-bullet-lookin' thing at the top some clever packaging of some crazy wargame, or just a novelty item?

Looks like the complete BANG! game to me.

Oh wait, oh God oh n-

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

evilmiera posted:

They've decided that the awesome response to Stick of Truth merits a sequel.

I would have absolutely zero problem with that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dimensional Shift sounds awesome, as does Minor Arcane Reflection. Wizard duels could be pretty amazing in this game, even though I'd be terrible at them and lose every time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Masonity posted:

Your physical goods will have been touched by swedes

I'm pretty sure that's an entirely different kind of kickstarter :heysexy:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A tank MMO, it's like somebody sat down and said,"How can we make a game that Jerusalem will never play?"

Edit: That said, I hope it is a good earner for them :shobon:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 20, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Greenplastic posted:

Thanks in advance to anyone here who is a beta-tier backer for playtesting and ironing out the game for me!

You're welcome :)

I have never beta-tested anything but I couldn't bear the idea of the game being in some kind of playable state and OTHER people playing it when I wasn't!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Dragon Age is actually a pretty bad example, because characters will leave and try and kill you if you do things they don't like. And you have to be explicitly sociopathic to stop it happening, it's literally a manipulate check, and even then there are some actions you can't get out of facing the character consequences for.

As much as I liked Dragon Age, couldn't you stand there and abuse the poo poo out of your friends then give them a pretty present and immediately regain all the trust and friendship you'd just destroyed?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

I like how in Torment that you could make Vhailor realize that being a true D&D Paladin type is hypocritical and dumb and it makes him commit suicide because he realizes his life is a lie.

I never did it myself, but couldn't you convince Vhailor that The Transcendent One was the big criminal he'd been searching for, which pisses off Vhailor so much that he basically super-hacks himself into God Mode? I always thought that was a pretty hilarious dick move, even if it was technically true.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the first time I played I threatened him with my own suicide (The Blade of the Immortal) which I thought was cool, but actually talking him down and convincing him to join with me readily of his own free will on subsequent playthroughs was definitely the "best" way to do things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Same. My favorite part of Alpha Protocol was when you met with Marston in rome to play mindgames outside a cafe.

That is the best "fight" in the game, and probably the high-point of the entire game as far as I am concerned.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I keep thinking I don't want to do my usual thing and play a Paladin, but the Paladins in this sound so good, and now The Bleak Walkers description too.... I'm gonna be playing a Paladin :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh sweet, they're almost at Beta, that means the game is coming along nicHANG ON A SECOND I FORGOT I'M A BETA-BACKER! :neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well this all sounds tremendously good, which isn't exactly a surprise but is still nice!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yoshimo posted:

What a splendid idea!

I feel like we can trust this guy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I felt so bad about killing him :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Divinity: Original Sin, aka a great game.

But I have so many other games I need to play! :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I get to play the game in just over a month, yessssss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tsyni posted:

I just used the trap bug with Yoshimo to cheese him and his pals very quickly.

Turn into The Slayer and if you listen carefully you can hear Kangaxx quietly whisper,"But that's not fair :smith:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the Xaurip are gonna be pretty chill so long as we don't pick a fight with their Dragon.

So... you know, Xaurip/Human (or Elf or Godkind of whatever) relations are doomed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hadn't planned on playing a Godlike until I saw that guy has an octopus on his head :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This sounds great, but what rope kid isn't telling us is that due to accidentally going over budget, this is the ONLY party you are allowed to have. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yessss they wiped to the beetles :laugh:

• Locked thread