Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
My dream is that they've licensed the Aliens universe back and are going to pick up where they left off on that Aliens RPG. drat that has so much potential...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
The descriptions for the other two Rogue powers are pretty detailed, but the description for Reckless Assault is a little lacking in details. Will it show exactly how much Deflection is lowered/Accuracy and Damage are raised? Or is it still being tweaked at the moment?

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If the flesh has to be living, and is no longer useful the moment life is snuffed out, that could lead to some wonderfully horrific scenarios where a Fampyr keeps captives, and uses medical knowledge to keep the alive as they feed on them piece by piece. Tourniquet someone's arm, gobble up the flesh, then carefully treat the wound and keep them living for when you're hungry for the other arm, etc.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If the animations can allow a fighter's actions to really give the impression of kinetic power, that would help as well. Good knockdown and knockback or trip animations would help, but even moreso the kill animations. In some games wizards and the like get to burn and freeze their enemies, sometimes with shatter animations or uncle Owen and aunt Beru style charred or smoking corpses, but most of the time fighters just swing something at an enemy and they fall down, possibly with a bit of blood on the ground. Cleaving limbs from bodies, decapitation, or even cutting a man in two at the waist would give a wonderful impression of the brutality and power a fighter represents. It would be a lot of work for all the different models of enemies, but at least if the humanoids had some of these animations it'd go a long way in making fighter combat seem exciting.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
One thing I like about the Death godlike is that given the... stuff on their heads, they all almost certainly resulted in the death of their mothers during childbirth. Many of them would only be able to be born through Caesarian, which a mother would be very lucky to survive in those times... seems like quite a fitting and symbolic entrance into the world - a new life, at the cost of an old one.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
I have to say I'm really looking forward to the wiki for this game filling out once people have got their hands on the beta. Desperate for more information on abilities and especially talents. What we know of the abilities so far gives us an idea of the flavour of each class, but I think a lot hinges on what talents can add to the equation. I really hope there are a few half decent active melee attacks that any class can pick up, for example. The presence or absence of those will mean a great deal for how possible it'll be to make fun hybrid style characters like spellswords etc. One or two "magical" ranged type talents available for the melee classes would also be cool for similar reasons. Nothing like multiclassing, just the ability to... dabble in a few abilities similar to other classes.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
A few questions for the beta folk.

1. Is it possible to be bald or have a shaved head? This is very important - I need to know that my people are represented.

2. How many attribute points do you get to spend at character creation? And there are no additional points after chraracter creation, right?

3. Does dual wielding weapons double your attacks? Just add one extra attack? Have a damage or accuracy penalty?

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Thanks guys!

Eddain posted:

3 base in each stat, normal max is 18. Racial bonuses already factored in. Can't subtract below 3 (but racial penalty can put you below).

So a human for example would start with 3 in everything except for might and resolve, which would be 4 each? And then you spend an additional 57?

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Has anyone been playing a Rogue? If so, how much does Reckless Assault lower deflection and raise accuracy?

The Rogue is the class I've been looking forward to playing. I'm hoping they and their active abilities are as fun as I've been imagining, with a fair bit of active management, jumping in and out of the fray delivering status effects etc.

How is accuracy in general? Are characters missing a lot if they haven't pumped up dexterity a fair bit? I'm starting to see some of the base accuracy, defense, health etc figures for the classes appearing on the wiki, but it's hard to know what it really means when one class has a base 15 accuracy and another has 25 for example.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Has anyone tried or been successful in adding custom portraits? What are the file types and sizes etc?

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
One way I'd like to see stealth balanced would be if the game keeps track of bad guys you didn't kill, and if enough of them survive the adventure there are consequences such as having to fight more enemies later, or a town continuing to be hit by bad guys who regrouped after you defeated their leader or whatever.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

:raise:

Missing String is probably the name of the monster. But still my combat and travel times are exactly the same.

I'm a little confused by this character's accuracy score. Dex gives him +19 accuracy, but his total accuracy is listed as 16. Is the character suffering a penalty for fatigue?

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Glycogen.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Frungy! posted:

I'm fine with no XP from monster kills if killing them is not the objective of a quest. Getting some loot should be rewarding enough.

I just hope that enemy respawn mechanics will be handled in a way that doesn't take away the sense of accomplishment from combat. If I want to make the world a safer place by wiping out a lair full of evil cultists, the only thing I want to find there later is a bunch of dead cultists and any loot I might had left behind. I guess most players like fighting the same enemies again to get the XP and/or loot again, but it's one of my main gripes with games like Diablo and Dark Souls for some reason.

Earlier I suggested that perhaps consequences for excessively stealthy playstyles might include problems stemming from leaving too many hostiles alive, but it wasn't well received. But I think it's doable (perhaps not at this stage for pillars if it hasn't been implemented already though) - for example, if you clear out wilderness areas slaughtering whatever you come across, subsequent travel through those areas might have significantly reduced respawns. Stealth through, and next time the same or even more hostiles might be present.

Apart from wilderness areas, at least some quests could have consequences for stealthiness reflected in outcomes and delayed outcomes. If you sneak into the goblin fortress and kill their leader in a surgical strike, but leave the hordes of goblins present, perhaps later on a new leader could emerge, or fleeing bands of surviving goblins might sack a town. Hell, you might only hear about it in some NPC chit chat, doesn't have to necessarily lead to a whole extra quest. At least for RP purposes that might mean something.

The other side of the coin might also be interesting to explore. Slaughter every living goblin at the keep, and the balance of power is effected and now the ogre clans expand into their territory unopposed.

Similar things are no doubt going to be reflected as results of dialogue choices (characters choosing to talk enemies down instead of kill them will no doubt have consequences later on, in many cases, I am sure), this idea just expands that concept a little bit to the tactical choice of stealthiness vs genocidal bloodthirstiness.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
The complaints here are nothing. At least most in this thread are constructive and allow some leeway for the fact that this is, in fact, just a beta. While these forums were down I made the mistake of thinking I'd check out what they're saying about it on RPGCodex. What a bunch of insanely negative whiny entitled bitches.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Are any talents going to function like abilities? In the sense that you can activate them? Or are they all going to be passive boosts of some kind?

Has anyone really played a monk? I haven't heard much about them apart from a few comments that they're not so fun to play. I'm wondering about the animations actually - my dream monk would fight in a Muay Thai style. Boxing would also be good. The reasonably slow seeming attacks mean combinations won't be possible... but at least if the stance and form of attacks looks decent that would be something.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Was flintlock pistol and shield ever used historically? Apart from a single shot before drawing a sword, I would doubt it.

On the other hand, I know some crossbowmen had big pavise shields...

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Has anyone tried an interrupt based Barbarian? Since they do additional damage to hostiles in range with every hit, if interrupt applies to those secondary hits as well that could be quite an effective build. High dex, low might, high perception and high intelligence, the damage they do wouldn't matter so much as hitting and critting often to large numbers of enemies with a high interrupt chance. All the interrupting might make them more effective as tanks as well by reducing the number of attacks made against them over time.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Sensuki posted:

High Concentration is also lovely if you have a low defense (such as Deflection for a Barbarian). There's an obvious solution to this though.

Low defence means you get hit more, so I would have though concentration would come into play more often and be much more vital if your def is low.

quote:

Shadenuat from the RPGCodex made a Dual Wielding Stiletto Interrupt Barbarian as his first character and he said it was pretty good due to the -DT that Stilletos have.

He was still getting a lot of interrupts with the small weapons?

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Tried the new beta build.

Still getting the bug where the menu freezes for 5-10 seconds between literally every action. So much for distributing those 50+ attribute points in character creation. Maybe next update I'll finally get to beta test this game.

Welp.

A way around this might be to get someone else to make you a character and send you the savegame, now that they're working. At least you'd be able to tell whether it's just a character creation screen issue or all menus in general. I'd offer to help but I don't actually have the beta.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
I was looking at that awesome chart Ropekid posted a few pages back about speeds and cooldowns in different armour (here if anyone missed it: http://i.imgur.com/WR2BQ1N.jpg) and I was wondering about things like the Barb's Frenzy ability - does this count as a "spell" and therefore take potentially 9 seconds to cast in heavy armour? Or is it instantaneous, like the activation of a modal ability?

For an ability that is supposed to increase damage output for a time, the cost to activate it might be so high that you'd be lucky to break even. The wiki says the base duration is 10 seconds, attack speed increases by 33% and might by 4 (So an extra 8% damage). Lets imagine a base (3 int) Barb, greatsword and heavy armour.

A heavy armour barb with a greatsword takes 4 seconds for one swing of the sword without Frenzy. With Frenzy, each attack is reduced to 2.64 seconds for Frenzy's duration (10 + 15% from 3 int, so 11.5 seconds). That's enough for just over 4 attacks instead of the just less than 3 attacks he would have received. But if it took him 9 seconds to "cast" Frenzy, he missed out on two attacks in order to get that one extra! The additional 8% damage from increased might won't count for much, and he was also more vulnerable with decreased deflection during the Frenzy...

Now lets imagine a dual-wielding padded armour Barb with fast weapons, daggers. He attacks with both of his daggers in 3.2 seconds. Casting Frenzy, if it's not instantaneous, takes 7.2 seconds, costing two and a quarter attacks with each of his daggers. Each attack with his two daggers will take 2.1 seconds during Frenzy. If he has 3 int, Frenzy lasts 11.5 seconds, during which he can get almost 5 and a half attacks instead of the just over 3 and a half attacks he would have gotten without Frenzy, so a profit of roughly 2 attacks with the casting time cost of 2 and a quarter attacks... plus 8% damage and minus 10 deflection during that time...

If the above is accurate... then it seems that it is possible to screw up a Barbarian completely if you don't spend on Int. You lose range on your carnage attacks, a big loss, and you render Frenzy, a key and arguably defining class ability at best useless and at worst detrimental.

Hopefully these examples are in vain because Frenzy is instantaneous... can anyone with the beta confirm?

Edit: 4 Might gives 8% extra damage not 4%...

Diomedes fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 7, 2014

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Another Monk talent idea might be a per rest ability where they concentrate on the memory of a past injury they have experienced to gain one or two free wound resource. For flavour the description could even include that they are meditating on the suffering of a previous incarnation or something. "Agony of Past Lives" or "Recollections of Suffering", I don't know.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
The monk is one of the classes I'm most keen to play, so I wouldn't really want a monk party member anyway I don't think - my main will be more unique, and won't be competing with another monk for wounds! An all monk party could be quite strange. Bunch of guys running around saying "Hit me! hit me! No, not him, me!"

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Darkhold posted:

Er yeah this is a weird conversation. If you make a party without front line fighters you're going to have bad times when the enemy reaches your front line.

If mages/etc were just as good at tanking why would you ever use fighters at all?

It's not about mages being as good at tanking as fighters, it's about it being possible to make trade-offs that allow them to be "good enough" at tanking. It would be nice if it was possible, with the right build, to create a tank-ish mage, and of course if doing so came at the cost of reduced efficiency as a caster. Some people like to play as "Arcane Warrior" type characters.

Such is how I would like to play a Cypher, personally. Gathering focus with a melee weapon, and being competent in that environment while doing so. The right choice of weapons and armour, abilities, talents and attributes should provide an avenue towards doing this IMO. If their endurance/health setup is such that this will never be viable, I think many possibilies for alternative playstyles will be lost.

Diomedes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 11, 2014

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

I liked playing a Cipher as a gish too, but gishes, even specced towards being as tanky as possible, shouldn't be as good at tanking as a tank-specialized fighter, otherwise why bring a fighter? Nothing wrong with bringing two gish characters instead of one fighter and one other character to make up for the weaker "tanking" ability. Its not just you playing, its a whole party. And in some cases, sure, a gish should be "good enough" even if that isn't optimal. You'll just end up burning more healing resources, more camping resources, or more limited-use spells to compensate for the reduced health. Seems worthwhile to me for the extra damage you'll be getting from your "tanks."

And, I think that Obsidian is going to realize this and build those gish-oriented classes to match. Notice that chanters came with pretty drat good stat gains? They were always intended to be viable on the front lines, they just didn't have the skillset to be the core of that line.

edit: Beaten like a caster in melee.

I don't think we disagree, but Sensuki's last post expounded on the concern accurately - my fear is that if the gulf widens between the frontline and the back, none will be able to sit in that sweet, in-between gish space. I don't think anyone expects a mage to be able to be built in such a way that it is an equivalent tank to a fighter. I don't have the beta, but you mentioned that you played a Cypher as a gish and enjoyed it. Was it as good as a fighter at tanking? If so, then changes that further advantage fighters aren't a problem, the gap is too narrow. Do you think it would still be fun and viable if the gap is widened (and game balance adjusts for this, naturally)? It depends on how much, I guess, and we're yet to see how much that is. I'm sure Obsidian will get it right, but I don't think the concern is irrational.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Impressive work from Sensuki and Matt, I like the suggestions. One thing that might fit better if Dexterity is going to increase action speed, would be to rename it Agility.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The 3 goals of:

1 - attributes define what a character is good at
2 - class defines what a character is good at
3 - all attributes are equally useful to each class

are logically self-negating.

Not if it's actually:

1 - Class determines the range of roles a character can be good at
2 - All attributes are useful, though not necessarily equally so, to all classes
3 - Attributes determine which of a classes range of potential roles a character is good at

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
With regards to stickiness on front-liners, would it be an improvement if the engagement attack actually stopped the opponent in their tracks and forced them back into engagement the fighter/whoever? Perhaps when attempting to disengage, a normal attack vs def roll is played, if successful disengagement fails, they get the disengagement attack and their movement away is actually canceled, and they have to try again. Against a high accuracy frontliner it would make it quite difficult to disengage. This would have implications for the player as well as enemies, and it would make the rogue's escape ability a lot more valuable, as well as the talent that increases engagement limit.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

rope kid posted:

A successful Disengagement Attack should cause re-engagement.

Oh, that's great! From the way people were talking about it, it seemed like they found their fighters weren't very sticky and opponents were getting away too easily. For those who have the beta, do you feel the disengagement attacks causing re-engagement? Or are disengagement attacks failing too often? Maybe they should get an accuracy bonus? OR do they already?

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
One thing I've been wondering about with the monk... are their wounds generated by receiving any damage at all, or by receiving a certain amount of damage? If a Monk is grazed for one damage, do they get a wounds resource?

Also wondering about the value of deflection for monks. This relates a little bit to the new systems proposed by Sensuki and Matt, and Josh's ideas. If Monks want to get hit, deflection is a stat they might want to actively avoid. They might be caught in a tricky situation if they want something that is paired with deflection in an attribute... or if Int ends up being AoE+Def they might be encouraged to be stupid, since they don't seem to have AoE abilities and wouldn't want Def. But if it's Concentration + Def on resolve like in Sensuki and Matt's proposal, Conc isn't going to be that valuable considering Monk attack speed, so it might be Res that is a dump stat for monks.

If def is something to be avoided by monks, then there's no good solution if def goes into a stat. All depends I guess on what the rate of wound acquisition is, and whether you might want to slow that rate down with higher def.

Diomedes fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 14, 2014

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Eddain posted:

You could assign Monks a passive talent that negates any Deflection modifiers they gain from levels/stats and only factors in equipment Deflection.

Actually, I was just thinking about the fact that really, monks need the ability to control their deflection from between 0 and their maximum. Deflection is actively avoiding attacks, dodging and so forth. It would make sense that at the beginning of a battle, they might choose to be less evasive until they have some wounds to work with, but as they get those wounds, their priorities would probably shift towards survival while they use their wounds, choosing to avoid attacks to the best of their ability.

Perhaps then, they need an ability of some sort that set their defence to 0 at no wounds, then perhaps raises it upon gaining a wound, and after receiving the maximum number of wounds (what is the maximum?), they use all of their deflective ability. This would give them incentive to have high defence to use when they need it.

Edit: Beaten!

Diomedes fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 14, 2014

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Sensuki posted:

This discussion has given me another idea, I think I can make it a difficult choice for DPSers to choose between Might and Perception (without Interrupt)

A difficult choice for tanks between CON and RES (our version)

A difficult choice for supports between INT and DEX

and that would make it a difficult choice for wizards, ciphers etc between four (or more) of these attributes

Give me a few days to work something together with Matt and I'll be back with a shorter .pdf

I think a lot of people like the thematic 2-2-2 split too.

Count me among them. Based on the information I have, yours would be my preferred system. That said, Josh is privy to more than we are, about a great deal of things relating to monsters and opponents, talents not yet implemented and so forth. His proposals, where they differ from yours, also seem an improvement. But with available knowledge, and the obvious elegance of your system, I'd be very happy if that's how things ended up. Either way I'm confident it will be great.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Sensuki posted:

With some number twisting I think I can make this work and make it difficult to choose for pretty much every class at the same time. Now if Interrupt isn't going to be attribute based I can also play around with the base constants of Interrupt versus the base constant of Concentration and find a scale that feels statistically pretty strong so that Deflection and Concentration together make a really nice attribute to pair against Constitution - as Concentration prevents DPS loss, if it is good at doing that, that means we can probably find a plot where the DPS loss prevention combined with Deflection DPS reduction is just as good as the raw absorption of % Might-influenced DPS that Constitution soaks up and on top of that it will also be encounter dependent which would be really fun.

I won't say what I'm going to try for the rest though as it'd be more fun for everyone to be surprised and it's better if we can support it with Matt's maths and charts before speaking about it.

I'm intrigued! Looking forward to the next pdf.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Indeed. Personally I love breaking down and analysing systems, and developing new ideas, but apart from that this whole process of input and assessment by way of graphs and formulae, and Josh's continued refinement of the system, is something very worthwhile that will benefit everyone. It's certainly nothing to be afraid of, and the good work being done now, for all it's complexity, will reduce the need for such complex analysis by players in the end. If it's successful, you won't need to work against, abuse or exploit the system to play the kind of character you envision.

The design goals Josh has outlined are revolutionary, and represent a desire to fix so many things that were wrong with, and impeded variety and alternative means of fun in the old IE games. Realising that vision is an iterative process that needs exactly this kind of discussion. It will be worth it.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Krowley posted:

Except PoE's stat system isn't finalized yet (I think? I scroll past all :sperg: posts) so it's basically all theorycrafting at every level.

It's active engagement with the creator about how best to realise the design goals as they pertain to the attribute system. The fact that it isn't finalised is exactly *why* this kind of analysis, and alternative proposals are being made.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
Regarding melee cooldown being paused in movement - one reason I don't tihnk this is a good idea is that sometimes you need a melee "interceptor" who can quickly get to backliners in need and attack or disable someone who has slipped past the tanks. The Barbarian has wild sprint they could use for this, the Rogue has escape, the fighter could just run but can then knockdown to help the backliner, monk is fast and can use stunning blows to disable the attacker, but none of these work as well if they have to run up and stand there for a few seconds as their friend is getting eviscerated.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

rope kid posted:

I think that's in now. Today we were doing a build review and all of the procedural blood/fire/electricity/acid/freeze hit effects are finally hooked up + gibs on a crit kill + the gibs have fire/electricity/acid/freeze particles if that's what killed them. Would you believe a rogue's arrow could cause a lion to explode into flying chunks of bloody lion meat? I've seen it with my own eyes.

Beautiful.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
One idea I considered as a way to buff perception was to add in damage penetration. But I can't see how it could work well - it would be too powerful against armour unless the bonus was a fraction of one DT point. And something like 0.25 DT penetration seems sort of messy.

I also considered for a while maybe swapping the bonuses of Resolve and Int as proposed in the S&M manifesto so Int was Concentration + Deflection (Intellectually predicting attacks to avoid them, and concentrating seems intellectual as well), and Resolve was Duration + AoE (Determination driving abilities to last longer or spread wider). Yet that might encourage imbecilic mages, which would be no good.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
I want to loot enemies in an LA Noire style exploration of their dead corpses. If I don't see my character literally checking pockets, if I can't manually manipulate the cadaver's limbs as I inspect it, my immersion will be ruined. Get on it Ropekid.

Incidentally, I've been playing Wasteland 2 the last few days and really enjoying it. But... I really wish they'd had Ropekid take a look at their attribute and skill system. Anyone who has problems with the way PoE's system is shaping up should give WL2 a go and put things in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Furism posted:

Yes the attributes and skills need to be better used. But I like that Luck seems to have an effect on a lot of hidden stuff, with no quantifiable means of knowing by how much.

I wouldn't mind it if it listed nothing in it's description... but it lists measurable effects and in doing so deceives players into thinking it can be quantified and that they understand it. Even a single extra line in the description for what it does stating something to the effect of "Among other things..." would be better.

It's one thing to, heh, "openly" leave the players in the dark about something, and another to trick them by pretending to be up front. I don't think a system should ever be trying to trick or trap players. Ultimately, there will be number crunchers and hackers who determine the true effect of luck in WL2 and then everyone can work against the system with their meta knowledge, but they shouldn't have to work around or against the system. That's one of the things I like so much about Ropekid's design philosophy - he seems to favour giving players the knowledge to make informed choices, and making a system that players can happily work within, rather than work around.

• Locked thread