Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Was kinda disappointed with how short the video was, especially after the 20 min one Wasteland 2 did, but fortunately there's about ten thousand words worth of detail in the various interviews :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

rope kid posted:

Probably a bit, mostly for companions rather than wilderness environments. Additional content does take additional time to make, but not dramatically, not at the scale we're thinking about.

E: Personally, I think more wilderness areas would feel really cool and I believe players would enjoy them. I also would like for players to have every character class represented by a companion. Right now we're 3 short. We don't want to go buckwild on this stuff, but we do think it would feel better with those additions. If we thought it would fundamentally make the game worse, we wouldn't even be asking.

This is definitely stuff you should mention in the voting thread.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Hey so Winter 2014 huh? technically that could mean next month, you guys work fast.

Also, saw this on the site and it made me sad that this isn't getting a physical release.

Uhh, it is? Or it is if you're willing to shell out for it.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Llyranor posted:

Oh wow, that looked amazing. One of my most anticipated games ever (and most expensive -_-).

The survey's up on the backer site for those who can design an NPC.

Mind copypastin'/screenshotting the form? Curious to see what the prompt questions are.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

This. I want to be the party members to be well-written characters, that's part of the reason I pledged and why I don't want to use the Adventurer's Hall at all.

Why do you think that extra companions they're explicitly asking for extra money for would have any effect on the quality of the extant companions?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Mymla posted:

Time spent adding more companions could always be spent on the existing ones. Somehow I doubt you're ever going to get to a point with your companions where you go "Welp, this roster of characters is literally perfect, no quest to tweak, no party banter to add.".
Adding characters also add exponentially to the workload if you want things like banter between the different NPCs. Which you probably do want.
If only there was the possibility of some additional pot of resources that could be used to pay for the additional workload.

You're creating a false dichotomy here. Do you think the OEI devs would be so eager to add new companions if they thought they'd compromise the quality of the first eight?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 11, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Has it been mentioned anywhere what the sixth attribute is? The interviews mention strength, constitution, dexterity, intellect and resolve, but the website claims there's one more.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Someone who's got experience with game tooling: how much effort would it take to adapt the tooling for a game like PE to a turn based game?

Y'know, seeing as there's this other Kickstarter coming up and all.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Personally I would like it if character shadows matched the background's lighting direction, which is what bothered me the most in the trailer.

I was gonna say "can't be done because of prerendering etc", but thinking about it you probably could define a layer that tells the dropshadows which direction the prerendered shadows are in.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

The animations are pre-alpha.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Sindai posted:

Wait, does "Winter 2014" mean in two months or in a year?

A year. We're in Winter 2013 right now.

(By "we", I of course mean "the northern hemisphere". The one that matters)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

I figure it'll be classic space opera just to capture the other end of the market from PE's straight fantasy. Obsidian can leave novel stuff until they've got a few secure revenue streams to play with.

e: Curious how RTwP with guns would work though

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Possibly irrelevant, but Bethesda has the RPG Codex blacklisted and so no OEI dev has openly posted there since the studio came under contract for F:NV. This week though two of them have appeared again, and both are working on an unannounced project that's been going on since June. Incidentally, the Backspace concepts were leaked in July.

e: I don't get the timing on the Kickstarter though. If it launches this month, it's gonna mean work through the Christmas holidays.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 12, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Why would Bethesda blacklist RPG Codex in the first place? And no one say quality standards.
Bethesda has a scorched-earth approach to negative reviews of it's games.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Why would you subject any half-decent writer to TES lore?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

I'll never understand people who want licensed titles over fresh IP :psyduck:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Hand Row posted:

Have we been told what the name of the other major playable city is? I was looking at the map trying to figure it out where it was.

Twin Elms - there's a pile of art from it in Update 68.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's been said before but Obsidian is a studio built for AAA game making, and while they could definitely support another KS game, the studio would not in any way be sustained by them. Pillars of Eternity has a very, very small team. They'll still be hustling for at least 2 concurrent AAA projects at any one time.

I think how Obsidian and other ~100 dev studios proceed with Kickstarters in future depends largely on how these first few sell post-launch. There was, at one point, a million-unit market for these kinds of games, but no-one knows how much of that market remains. If it is still reasonably large, then while larger studios might not be able to sustain themselves on KS alone, they would be able to use it to bootstrap themselves up into a position where they have the funds to back their own >50 dev projects.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

So it looks like no Feargus interview is forthcoming. I wonder if the article was written before they realised the website was gonna be delayed several weeks, and now it's too close to Christmas for them to launch a KS?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

I would have thought that even if it had have been written two weeks ago, it still would be been too close to Christmas to make a KS wise. Everyone will have already spent all their money on presents. Or at least be planning to.

The backer website was supposed to be ready more quite a while ago - check the "Dates and Deadlines" box on the right hand side of the right hand screen. Backers were supposed to be finalizing their orders by November 31st.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

tima posted:

While we are on the subject of different settings for a game, here is mine:

You are a detective who gets woken up in the middle of the interstellar journey because there was a murder on the spaceship you are on. Was it a faulty ai? Did aliens infiltrate the ship? Is it one of the crew members? Stay tuned to find out!

If you haven't seen it already, this might interest you:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

I hope there are romances. They can last maybe five lines before another party member pulls you aside and tells you to stop being a creepy fucker.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Megazver posted:

Frankly, I find these goony posts about 'romance ewwww cooties' way weirder and sadder. *pat pat* It's okay to pretend to like someone for a while to vicariously experience the rush of falling in love all over again.
Romance between two people? Aww :3:
Romance between two fictional characters? Aww :3:
Romance between a person and a fictional character? :barf:

CommissarMega posted:

I'd like to see more romances that don't involve the player, since those can be more easily tailored to the characters involved, and you can ensure that they will happen anyway. It's either that, or go the Bioware route of 'they love you anyway/you must follow the One True Romance Path™'. maybe something along the lines of Khalid and Jaheira, or Haer'dalis and Aerie.
While being shot down as a creep is the best implementation in my mind, I would also accept Eder cockblocking you every time you try.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

- Druids: Not much info aside from shapeshifting.

Very powerful crowd control (damage?) apparently.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Scorchy posted:

Barbs are the melee with the focus on AE I think.

Priests and Paladins got shuffled around a bit, not sure where they're at right now.

I *think* Paladins have very short range, very powerful buffs, while Priests have wider-range but less-powerful buffs.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Cheston posted:

Then I guess Chanters are just hobos with sticks.

Offensive AOE kings, iirc

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

rope kid on OEI forums posted:

Resolve modifies the duration of any effect generated by the character. Rogues gain Sneak Attack bonuses against enemies with a wide variety of conditions on them. Rogues are capable of inflicting many of those conditions on their own. If a rogue has a low Resolve, those conditions have commensurately shorter durations.

Which along with information from the interviews means the attributes shake out to:

Strength: deflection defense
Constitution: fortitude defense
Dexterity: reflex defense
Intellect: will defense
Resolve: effect duration
Perception: effect radius/range (?)

Might be secondary effects as well, but assuming that damage types are fairly balanced and the AI isn't too dumb, it looks like there are indeed no dump stats :allears:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

How do you handpaint backgrounds for something the size of Skyrim though?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Fingers crossed they go with the new IP for the Kickstarter rather than the licensed one. There's no universe I can think of that I'd like to see adapted over seeing a fresh new one.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I would actually like a Morrowind game by Obsidian, but that's just because Morrowind borrows from non-European history for its setting's inspiration. Really, I think it would be great if there were more fantasy games outside of faux Europe. I can appreciate why they made the POE setting what it is, but I hope that Obsidian's next setting is original and more out there.

You can get a non-European setting without hanging the TES millstone around your neck.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Is it only available to the PC, or if a party member would qualify for the gated dialogue can they butt in?

I think it was said in one of the interviews that the PC is almost always the target for dialogue, and companions are limited to interjecting if they can offer something of use.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Whole pile of words on picking your items & NPCs:

J.E. Sawyer posted:

Hi, Sykid.  It's a balancing act, because we don't want to do lore and mechanics dumps on the world this far ahead of the game being finished, but here are some things to help with both items and characters:

Items:
* Please, if it's at all possible, consider making something that is not a sword.  I think we say this in the survey, but I'd like to repeat it here.  There are no junk weapon types in Pillars of Eternity.  Even daggers and clubs are good weapons.  The same applies to armor and shields.  Every type has trade-offs, so if you want to make a suit of awesome padded armor, someone will wear it.

* Many D&Dish effects can go on weapons, armor, and shields.  That said, there are also many abilities that are unique to PoE and we will suggest them if the idea of your item seems to fit.  At a basic level, all weapons and armor can have a quality modifier of Fine, Exceptional, and Superior that roughly correlate to +1, +2, and +3 (not quite, but close enough).  This game is equivalent to a low- to mid-level D&D campaign, so Sun Blades and +5s are too macho.

* Materials like drake/dragon bone can be used in items, but whatever material you specify, try to make it fit with the idea of the weapon.  A dragon bone club, spear, or stiletto is more fitting than a dragon bone battle axe or mace.  Mithril and adamantine are not materials in PoE.  Steel is overwhelmingly used for most metal weapons and armor, with five grades of interest: Wyflan (good steel), March (great steel, more damage, protects better), Ymyran (great steel that is "blackened", faster/lighter), Durgan (super steel from the lost forges of Durgan's Battery) and Skein (like Durgan steel, but very new technology, made with really horrible soul magic).

* Copper and living adra (an abalone shell-like material) are often used to bind souls and magical energy into items.

* The timeline of the civilized world is not "Realmsian".  The Dyrwood and the Vailian Republics have only been colonized for a few centuries.  The Glanfathans have lived in Eir Glanfath for two millennia.  Before them, it was occupied by a relatively unknown civilization known as the Engwithans (who built most of the monuments and holy sites that the Glanfathans now guard).  The Aedyr Empire is about 600 years old (well, Aedyr as a nation is that old).  Old Valia as an empire was about 1500 years old but has collapsed by the current day.  The main point is that more than 4,000 years ago, civilization was extremely modest, not advanced.

Characters:
* Any NPCs you make could be from the following local/directly involved places... 
- The Dyrwood - Focus of the game, colonial area full of once-Aedyran humans and elves.  Hardworking, surly pioneers in the country, animancers in the city. More-or-less blew up a god in the Saint's War which (in the new timeline) happened about 10-15 years ago.  Dyrwoodan virtues: independence, perseverance, sacrifice, communal hospitality, and vigilantism/feuding.  Dyrwoodan vices: servility, shirking (responsibilities), selfishness, lingering (near Engwithan ruins), "facepainting" (pejorative term for sympathizing with/acting like a Glanfathan).

- Eir Glanfath - Deeper forest to the east of the Dyrwood.  Once in conflict with the Dyrwood, now (mostly) at peace. Less tech advanced, more communal.  Protect the Engwithan ruins. Orlans, elves, some dwarves.  Glanfathan virtues: cleverness, subterfuge, frugality, communality, mathematic aptitude.  Glanfathan vices: selfishness, cowardice, vanity, social intoxication, token gestures (as opposed to meaningful action).

- Vailian Republics - The most successful offshoot of Old Valia, these colonies sit to the southeast of the Dyrwood and south of Eir Glanfath, past a mountain range. They are a group of allied city states who mostly wield economic power.  Mostly humans and dwarves.  Vailian virtues: success, shrewdness, restraint, wit, polymathism.  Vailian vices: failure, bad style (i.e. doing something not in the "Vailian way"), bluntness, dullness, mercilessness.

- Aedyr Empire - The source of the colonists who settled the Dyrwood and Readceras.  Lost both to revolutions, though the Dyrwoodan revolution was far bloodier than the Readceran one that followed.  Much younger than Old Valia, but still in existence, which is worth something.  Overwhelmingly human and elven. Aedyran virtues: duty, efficiency, loyalty, modesty (not of dress, but of character), purity.  Aedyran vices: inconstancy, sloth, sloppiness, impunctuality, mixing work/leisure.

- Penitential Regency of Readceras - Quasi-theocratic state ruled by priests for their patron, St. Waidwen, and their god, Eothas, both of whom seem to have disappeared at the end of the Saint's War (which they started and the Dyrwood ended).  The prevailing attitude is that they failed Eothas and Waidwen and must do penance to regain their favor.  Readceran virtues: optimism, faith, propriety (proper behavior for your age, sex, and social class), vigilance, discipline.  Readceran vices: pessimism, doubt, deviance, rebelliousness, aimlessness.

... or these remote regions, which are relatively far away:

- Deadfire Archipelago - Quite a ways south of the Dyrwood, a wide archipelago of small volcanic island nations.  Naasitaq, home of many boreal dwarves and aumaua, is the biggest and most stable nation around.  Various nations and empires fight over the islands, to the east of which are sea monsters that invariably annihilate any ships that attempt to go exploring (many of them dwarven).

- Ixamitl Plains - Northeast of Eir Glanfath, the Ixamitl Plains are large expanses of fertile savannas.  Mostly occupied by humans and orlans, though the orlans have a bad history with the humans.  The Ixamitl culture is one of the oldest continuous cultures in the world, going back a little earlier than Old Vailia.  However, they are the least imperalistic large nation around, having only expanded their borders slightly in centuries.  Among other things, they are known for their contributions to philosophy.

- The Living Lands - A frontier island area in the far north, a land of wild weather, strange beasts, and hundreds of difficult to reach valleys containing oddities never before seen (according to the people who find them) by mortals.  It's a lawless land where communities band together, fall apart, and fight petty wars with each other constantly.  Has a reputation for breeding oddballs and madmen.  The racial mix in the area is extremely diverse but not necessarily harmonious.  Dwarves, propelled by their desire to explore, are very common here, even among the mix.

- Old Vailia - Once the crown jewel of the southern seas, the crumbling island nations of Old Vailia sit thousands of miles to the southwest of their offshoot, the Vailian Republics.  Humans and dwarves are common.  They are renowned for their great culture and history of accomplishments, though the rest of the world considers them to be far past their prime.  The nations that once made up the empire are engaged in a continuous war for dominance that has been going on (and off, and on again) for over two hundred years.

- Rauatai Gulf - Dominated by the aumaua of Rauatai, the gulf to the north of Ixamitl Plains is the trade center for several nations of aumaua, orlans, and dwarves.  The land is rich with resources, but hotly contested.  And in all matters, Rauatai and its powerful navy almost always gain the upper hand.  The whole region is also relentlessly pummeled by storms for half the year.

- The White that Wends - A huge southern expanse of polar ice occupied only by pale elves, some boreal dwarves, and a few really brave individuals from other lands.  It is considered mythic -- or at least inhospitable -- by most people from "civilized" areas.  Virtually no plant life grows in the White, but somehow its residents manage to survive from year to year.

Class combat foci:

Barbarians have great group-fighting abilities (both melee offense and personal defense).

Chanters have cycling lists of low power, high AoE passive buffs and debuffs and they can periodically use invocations, which are pretty powerful spells.

Ciphers are offensively-oriented psionicists/soulknives (more or less) who build Focus (their resource) through conventional weapon attacks.

Druids are crowd control kings and their beast modes give them nice single-target strikes + various special powers.

Fighters can withstand a freight train, hold a line against charging enemies (are "sticky"), knock down enemies, passively regenerate Stamina in combat, and have reliable attacks + weapon specialization.

Monks convert temporary damage-over-time stacks (Wounds, their resource) into magical abilities.  They are melee-focused but have a pretty wide variety of single-target and group attacks.  They can use their bare hands (which get more powerful as they level) but can use most of their powers with standard melee weapons.

Paladins have modal auras, powerful single-target support abilities, high defenses, and a Smite analogue in Flames of Devotion.

Priests have better support abilities, worse defenses, and some crowd control abilities that paladins completely lack. Also a few single-target strike spells.

Rangers and rogues both lack crowd control capabilities, but rangers have the edge defensively due to range and the interference their animal companions can run. Animal companions share Stamina and Health with the ranger, but they are very durable, DT-wise.

Rogues have the highest single-hit damage potential and they have a lot of ways to qualify for Sneak Attacks. There are no creature type restrictions on Sneak Attack and it's automatically triggered by a lot of different conditions on the target. Additionally, rogues gain more and more ways to cause those conditions!

Wizards can learn a huge array of spells with a variety of effects, mostly focused on group offense, single-target strikes, and personal defense.  They cast directly from grimoires that hold a limited number of their total spells.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Lotish posted:

Is there a particular stat I'm gonna want to pump to be a chatty-Kathy or are stats factoring into dialogues going to be spread around the stats? (If this has been answered I kind of haven't followed this thread for a while, so I may have missed it.)

There isn't a CHA analogue. The six you've got to play with are strength, dexterity, constitution, intellect, perception & resolve.

Also I seem to remember one of the OEI devs posting that they weren't a fan of social skills in general. Something about it destroying a lot of RP options iirc.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Wahey, attribute details:

rope kid posted:

Strength affects your Health and number of inventory slots. Constitution affects Stamina. Dexterity affects Accuracy. Perception affects Critical Damage. Intellect affects Damage and Healing. Resolve affects Durations and AoE size. We may slightly shift these, but this is what we will be working with in the foreseeable future.

Each defense (other than Deflection) is equally influenced by two stats. Aside from level, the attributes that contribute to each defense are the primary determining factors of that defense. Class (now) rarely has a large influence on a character's defenses.

Fortitude - Strength and Constitution
Reflexes - Dexterity and Perception
Willpower - Intellect and Resolve

Deflection is the exception to this. While Fort/Ref/Will share roughly equal time in defending characters, Deflection is the most commonly-attacked defense. It is not influenced by any attribute and is mostly determined by level and class. Characters like fighters and paladins have great base Deflection. Characters like priests and wizards do not.

I'm a fan of how this sounds. No skillpoints stat, no social stat, no class-specific interactions, and each of the six makes a major contribution to combat ability. What's even more impressive is that the couplings actually make sense too.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 17, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

AXE COP posted:

Okay yeah, maybe that was an overreaction, but it still seems unnecessary and inconsistent with every other attribute purely being combat-related.

Because of the insert-only stash, I think inventory size is purely combat related. Any non-combat related items get chucked in the stash, so strength effectively limits the amount of "specialist" kit and the number of consumables that you can lug around with you.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

That's what we're chatting about. PE has a "stash", which is infinitely sized and you can drop stuff into whenever, but can only withdraw from at camp.

So anything you're only grabbing for money or because you might need it later goes in the stash, and you only keep in inventory what you'll need for the outing ahead.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

It's a strange little trap. People often stockpile consumables because they're not playing on a high enough difficulty that they're necessary, and people don't play on a higher difficulty because they lose fights horribly as they never think to use consumables.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Have there been any RPGs where NPCs have given recommendations on how to beat an opponent? Not as in "AIM FOR THE BIG RED WEAK SPOT", as in "Are you sure you want to go in there with swords? We'd do better with maces against armour like that". Or, relevant to the conversation: "Shall we get some potions out? This one looks tough".

It'd be a lot of work to fill a whole game with this kind of stuff, but it'd work just as well if restricted to first encounters with new enemies then.

Of course that said, you've got the "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS GAME FINISHING QUEST?" prompt that shows up in most AAA titles nowadays, so maybe some players are just beyond help.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 17, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Furism posted:

Isn't it a bit what PE is going for? When you start you have no clue what Ogres are resistant to, then as you fight them the tooltip because more detailed?

A tooltip will only help you if you're aware a better solution might exist. If you don't even realise that some weapons might be far more appropriate for certain enemies than others, the text on the tooltip is meaningless. The prompts I'm talking about would be intended to nudge players out of that kind of tunnelvision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

FuriousGeorge posted:

Games like Dark Souls and Witcher 2 do potions much better

Witcher 2 might have had a great potion system, but having to go through a long animation and a menu system to drink the drat things was such a pain I avoided using them whenever I could.

If PE has very limited inventory space, it'd be nice if consumables were automatically loaded into free slots in your quickbar.

• Locked thread