Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought Repiloting was fantastic, what a good episode! One of my favourites in the whole run - smart, dark and considering. I especially liked how it tacitly questions how "good" Greendale actually is, rather than just going the straight "evil lawyer wants to close down the orphanage" angle. The second one was quite fun too, but felt a bit more standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That was really good! I very much enjoyed it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That was superb. Just really funny, and made great use of a premise that at first blush sounded tough to get right.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Atmosfear ruled. It was actually very popular here in the UK!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Season 4 wasn't quite as good, but it wasn't that bad. The puppet episode was pretty awful, though, but the Freaky Friday episode was really good, and I liked the sci-fi convention one as well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Irish Joe is a noted instigator and rabble-rouser in this, the intravenous television forum. He is famed for his love of bad things (slime, skeletons, Two Broke Girls) and his hatred of good things (sunlight, puppies, probably a TV show).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TealShark posted:

Last night's episode hit a series low rating of 0.9 (2.58M viewers). drat.

That makes sense, it leans in so completely to the GI Joe thing that you could pretty easily watch the first minute, having expected to see a live action sitcom, and switch channels thinking you'd accidentally tuned into a cartoon for children.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought it started with promise but became laboured, and most of the jokes were flat as hell after a certain point. "If I come over there, there'll be two sounds: me punching you twice" struck me as a particularly bad one. It's a good premise but I don't feel like they delivered at all.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm all for experimentation, but I feel Community often exists in a weird ghost zone where its premises and ideas are really cool, but they're padded with totally bog-standard sitcom beats that aren't particularly funny or moving. Example: the MeowMeowBeenz episode is hilarious and experimental, but the "Jeff and Shirley have a disagreement" character arc that supports it is really stretched and hollow. There are often great jokes that play with form, but there's also a strange preponderance of jokes that feel like they came out of a machine, like Leonard passing Abed in the hallway and saying "Unsubscribe!".

It's not always like that, it's not even like that most of the time (this show has had plenty of fantastic episodes that are hilarious), but it's something I've thought about the show for a long time. It does experiment, but it also has pockets of dull mediocrity within that experimentation that feel as if someone forgot they were trying to do something interesting. I think Rick and Morty is a natural comparison, and I'd say that that's a better show because it goes all out on the bizarreness.

Community often feels like someone's checking on the reins, saying, "well, hold on guys, we are a network sitcom after all, we need to do at least one hackneyed joke about how everyone loves smartphone games, and throw in some emotion about how Character A and Character B resolved their differences". This would be fine, but I really don't think the show is as good at that playing-it-straight stuff as shows that make it their wheelhouse like Parks or Brooklyn 99. I don't feel a thing about Britta and Jeff deciding to get married, or Annie and Abed fighting because they miss Troy. It feels like a beat that's there because the form demands it, rather than one that the creators are genuinely interested in and good at conveying.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I get it for Jeff (he's settling into an ordinary life!), but I feel like it does Britta short shrift. He doesn't usually treat her that well or get along with her in particular, so it kind of feels like they're doing "remember the first season? When they liked each other? Well, that's why they still do now!". I guess I don't really get why Britta would want to be with him.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think Dan Harmon and the rest of the writers desperately wish that Yvette Nichole Brown had left instead of Donald Glover and spent a significant portion of the season passive-aggressively telling her so.

For real. Shirley is such a fifth wheel in this cast, and not because Yvette can't do it, just because they have zero idea how to write a decent characterisation or plot for her.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Faults cause conflict, conflict drives plot. Plus, there's not much to explore in a positive aspect unless you exaggerate them to the point of being faults. We know these characters by now and so it's easy to overlook their positive sides.

I feel like in a sitcom, you can't forget to make the characters engaging and likable in each episode. It's not like a novel where you know the reader has read about your hero saving the puppies before he punches the orphans a hundred pages later, you gotta keep the well refreshed pretty constantly in episodic television, just because of the way it's going to be watched.

I dunno. This isn't a complaint I've particularly had with this season but I think it's always important to keep your characters redeemable, too many shows slide into empty cynicism for the sake of comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There are usually issues with international copyright law which prevent broadcast companies from instantly making their properties available to other countries. I'm sure they'd like to do it faster and more conveniently if they could, but there are actual legal barriers involved, they don't just block viewers from outside their country for no reason.

• Locked thread