Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Just bought a G1W and 64gb card, can't wait to have 2-3 weeks of people being good drivers around me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Zero VGS posted:

Is there any kind of solution to mount an external rear-view camera and have it on a high quality display where a rear view mirror would be?

There are quite a few backup cameras like this one on Amazon. Most mount on your license plate frame and start around $15. There are other styles that you could mount higher up.

For the display this doesn't look bad for $30. The "mirror" is just the reflective plastic, but if your view is that horrible anyway that shouldn't be be a major issue. There are others that replace your rearview mirror but just have a small screen embedded into one side or the other.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I haven't had any luck getting my G1W to work properly yet. Ordered off of Amazon about a week ago, sold by E-PRANCE and fulfilled by Amazon. Got a 64gb Sandisk Class 10 card to go with it, formatted to FAT32. It says it is running firmware 20130922 v0.01.mm3 and the files it records are in .MOV format, so I don't think it is a counterfeit one.

I have it mounted up by my rearview mirror, with the USB charging adapter that was included with the camera running up through the dash and a-pillar. It turns on just fine when I start the car, charging icon flashes on the screen to show it is getting power. But it would only record video for a little under 2 minutes then shut off. If I press the power button it will stay on for another 30-60 seconds of recording, then power off again. I went through all of the menus and have tried different settings, made sure auto power off, delayed shutdown, and motion sensor are disabled. I've tried 2min, 3min, and 5min looping. Even turned off the screen protector so the LCD should be on so long as it is recording, this makes it easier to tell when it shuts down.

Read up on the GXW Forums and it seems that it doesn't like class 10 memory cards, and really hates sandisk cards. I tried using an old 16gb class 4 sandisk but it didn't change anything. The longest single video segment it was recorded was 1:57, regardless of settings. I ordered a 32gb transcend class 4 card that should get here this week and I'm hoping that fixes it. If that doesn't work I think the next step will be returning it.

edit: Just tried a 32gb class 4 sandisk, no change. If it isn't the transcend vs sandisk thing it has to be the camera itself.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 1, 2014

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I haven't contacted e-prance yet, it seems like their typical canned response is to try a class 4/6 memory card. The transcend class 4 should get here tomorrow, along with a new USB cable and power adapter.

I'm thinking this should work, I didn't realize how picky the G1W can be.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Well, the transcend 32gb class 4 didn't change anything with my G1W, guess it is a defective unit. Just printed the shipping label to return it to Amazon.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I ordered a new G1W from E-Prance after the last one was returned. Should get here tomorrow, fingers crossed.

meatpimp posted:

Showed up last week, looks legit and works well. Haven't fully set it up yet -- is there a cheap and readily-available power cord to hard wire/drop the voltage from 12v to whatever USB uses? I'd like to tie it in to my sunroof power that's on/off with key.

Here is what Wickerman used in this post. Might as well do it right.

quote:

Fuse Tap (Mini Fuses, now this depends on what you drive but odds are pretty decent that it's mini unless it's an old time crusier): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AHADOC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12V to 5V 2xUSB (I went ahead and got the two USB females variety because I wanted the ability to add a front and rear dashcam with only one fuse tap.): http://www.ebay.com/itm/141039052482?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Pivit fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 7, 2014

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

The new G1W from E-Prance on Amazon arrived today and works GREAT. The last one was just a dud, that happens with electronics. That is one of the nice things about orders "fulfilled by Amazon", easy returns without having to ship stuff back to China.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

The Locator posted:

So I got a G1W (replacement for the defective one I got first try) and I'm having an odd problem.

It starts working fine, the test files work, I can open them in Quicktime and they are good. Once I start recording my actual commute though, once I get past the first few files (which are all fine), the rest are all 'unreadable' by Quicktime.

Is this something anyone else has run into? Could it be because I'm using a 64gb class 10 memory card? I guess I can order another memory card, gut I hate to do that if it turns out that it's not the problem.

Any ideas?

My first (defective) one did that, in addition to the shutting off thing. If I went into view mode on the camera and pressed up and down to see each file and then copied them over it would correct the problem, they'd load just fine. I'd try a different memory card.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I'm still in the "new dashcam this is so cool" phase so I took a recording of my daily commute and speed it up 16x in windows movie maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_2RsK0mIE

As you can see, we get some pretty severe gridlock around here.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Yeah, I noticed mine does that too. I'm pretty sure it is the vibrations from the windshield, at least it just kinda wiggles, doesn't seem as shaky as the rearview mirror would be.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

The only one I see fulfilled by Amazon right now is about $20 more expensive, its also blue, and a vendor I haven't seen mentioned before. I ordered from E-Prance, but now it looks like they're shipping their own. I'd keep checking, inventory changes constantly.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

The Locator posted:

I might hate you just because of that commute.

I did this with my commute home yesterday in response to your post (8gb card, so only enough storage for 1 way), but it turns out that watching an hour of driving into the sun in fairly light rush hour traffic really isn't very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGfIHiCj-4o

Drive only took 62 minutes, most nights it's closer to 90.

Very cool, definitely more traffic than I'm used to having to deal with, at least it cleared up there towards the end.

trouser chili posted:

I was about to ask the same thing. I've got a few good clips since installing the g1w, but uploading full 10 minute clips for a few seconds of action each seems dumb.

I just use Windows Movie Maker to throw together all the three minute clips into one big one, and you can edit out sections. Apparently I sit in my car for a minute or more sometimes when I start it before moving. Probably messing with my cellphone during that time, but makes for a boring video. WMM makes it easy to cut sections out, edit the start/end time, etc. I don't believe it would edit out the overlap sections automatically, but really having a second or so of overlap every three minutes isn't that bad. Plus it's free.

WMM also makes it really easy to strip the sound and speed things up 16x, which is my new favorite thing to do. Here is one another one of those, little bit better scenery this time.
Sardine Canyon 16x

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Could you just let it record backwards, then flip the video in post production if you needed to? I know that lacks finesse but it sounds doable

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Axim posted:

Help me out guys. I bought a G1W about a month ago from a good seller on Amazon (recommended by the wire cutter website), e-prance or something.

It sounds like that could very well be a memory card issue. I had similar problems a page or two back and googled to find more info. Apparently the G1W really likes Transcend cards, and it likes slow class 4/6 cards. Anything else is a YMMV situation. I'd try another memory card, if problems persist you could probably return it. When you bought it from E-Prance through Amazon was it "fulfilled by Amazon", or did they ship it to you straight from China? If it was fulfilled by Amazon then returns are super easy, they'll give you a shipping label and credit your account for the purchase price. That is what I had to do in the end, but the second G1W I ordered from e-prance immediately after returning the first one has been working as expected.

I actually just got to hardwiring it into my car yesterday. I stole Wickerman's idea from page 3 and used a mini-fuse tap along with a 12V to 5V 2x USB Converter. It is great, plus with the second usb spot you can put another cord coming out of your dash to charge your phone if you wanted, leaving your cigarette lighter spot free at all times. Having the wires hidden looks a lot better.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

subx posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIDXG86/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought that and haven't had any issues after 2 months. Obviously as Axim posted, it's possible to get lovely examples since Quality Assurance on a $50 dashcam is not going to be spectacular.

I like my G1W as well. I had an issue with the first one but returned it and the second one I received has been working well.

I would recommend that you only buy one that is "fulfilled by Amazon" though. Then if you have problems you simply fill out a form on amazon.com, print the shipping label they provide for you, and return it to get your refund almost immediately. If you buy directly from the vendor then it will most likely ship from China and that is where you'll have to pay for shipping to return it if you have any problems.

To find G1Ws shipped by Amazon check the "prime eligible" box in your search results and make sure it says "fulfilled by Amazon" on the product description page, typically it will be right under the price and In-Stock notification.

G1Ws fulfilled by Amazon. You'll pay up to $10 more, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 22, 2014

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I've been lazy and just leave the memcard in the camera out in my car most of the time, but I had a few older videos of people being dumbasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAGqpSXPyBo
This guy rode my rear end for a few minutes before deciding to pass everyone. I get over when I can but that was the speed of traffic so what can ya do. He ended up getting stuck behind more cars just ahead anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787pqOwcWCA
I've learned to keep my distance from cars full of teenage girls like the blue Camry in this video. What you can't see is the girl in the backseat flipping off the guy in the BMW because he had the audacity to think they would maintain their speed while passing that truck.

I read that you can cut up a pair of 3D glasses and tape it in front of the G1W's lens to work as a polarized filter. Cuts down on glare and dash reflections. I've already got black masking tape covering the big chrome ring and led/light spot, I should do that sometime.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fMHUdsICT8

This video has gotten pretty popular online and is a great example of why it's a good idea to have a dash cam.

Luckily that road raging Camry isn't as good of a driver as this insane truck driver.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Here is a pretty scary video. This is about an hour away from me, not my video. He is using this cam.

Water on I-80

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I connected my G1W with a DC to USB Adapater plugged into a Add-A-Circuit in my fusebox. USB cord runs up the a pillar, along the headliner, and down to the camera. Works great, no interference at all, and it only costs around $10. I've got it going to the window/sunroof fuse which is on from the time you turn the key to the on position, until you turn the car off/acc and either open a door or wait 15 minutes. With the extra USB spot I've got a power cord coming out of my console near my phone holder, and still have the cig lighter available if it's ever needed for something.

It was easy to put in, you don't need to solder or anything, it uses crimp clips. Just make sure you've got a place near your fusebox to put the ground.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Today when I went out to leave for work I found my G1W shell popped open and the very bloated battery hanging down by two wires. Glad it didn't catch fire.

Time to order a mobius.