Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

For me, this vidoe just shows a link to the guy's new channel, AFAIK the video was meant to be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0jKAt-Phc

Edit: Oh God, these are all fantastic. The one starting at 1.15 is my favourite.

What really amazes me about the winter Russian dash cam videos is how many of them are simply people going far too fast for conditions, and/or trying to pass traffic on what is basically a strip of ice between snow berms, sometimes combined with no visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kill-9 posted:

My wife is also a 'spirited' driver in her R on occasion so we're always both paying pretty good attention to our surroundings. Especially on this fun and winding road. That intersection always seems to be an issue so we both kind of expected it. We really weren't going too fast. Limit there is 35, I was doing under 40. The wide angle always makes things look faster than they are. Kinda why they use wide angles for extreme sports. Gives a feeling of speed.

I was gaining on the slow car in front so I assume the BMW thought I was going the same speed and misjudged. Also, the Fiat is a small car. He could have just misjudged how far away we were by going off our size out of the corner of his eye. About half the cars turn up that street so he might have thought we were. My lack of expletives kind of supports that I believe it was an honest mistake. I always slow down for the hundred yards through there for this very reason. No harm, no foul.

Edit: here's the cam for $52 on Amazon. Free two day shipping with Prime. Its a more recent chipseted G1W. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIDXG86/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just received one of these yesterday, and it does record, but the LCD screen never displays anything. Is there a trick that I'm missing for turning it on to access the setup menu and stuff, or did I just get a bad one?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kill-9 posted:

My guess is you got a bad one.

That was what I figured, typical of my luck.

It turns on, the screen backlight comes on, but there is no text. Pushing the buttons makes beeps, and hitting the record button records stuff to the SD card, so I'm sure it actually works fine, except for the minor fact that I can't see the menu to set it up.

I'll just ask for an exchange.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I got a G1W (replacement for the defective one I got first try) and I'm having an odd problem.

It starts working fine, the test files work, I can open them in Quicktime and they are good. Once I start recording my actual commute though, once I get past the first few files (which are all fine), the rest are all 'unreadable' by Quicktime.

Is this something anyone else has run into? Could it be because I'm using a 64gb class 10 memory card? I guess I can order another memory card, gut I hate to do that if it turns out that it's not the problem.

Any ideas?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

Maybe next time don't enter an intersection unless you can clear it?

Granted he has an obligation to let you get out of the way once you're in the intersection, but he's justified with being annoyed at people obstructing when he has the green.

No, no he isn't.

The law is pretty clear on the fact that if the intersection is not clear and you get the green and slam into someone who was already in the intersection prior to the signal change, it's your fault.

If you are sitting in the intersection already waiting to turn left and the light changes, and the dumbass in front of you sits there until the light is stale red before completing his left and allowing you to follow, the other drivers still have to let you clear the intersection prior to taking the green. It's not like you can back up at that point, as there is likely another car behind and blocking you from clearing that way.

If nobody pulled out into the intersection to make a left (assuming no left arrow control) except for a single car at a time, some intersections would take a ridiculous number of signal changes to get through.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Extra posted:

Especially on any road where the left hand turn goes down a hill (up a hill for vehicles approaching the intersection). I'm just sort of imagining someone coasting along, the light is red up ahead of them before they start braking, then turns green. They maintain speed, come up over the hill and there I am in the intersection stuck behind some guy who is taking forever to make his left hand turn, they crash their SUV/crossover/van into my driver's side door and I am dead. Even with left hand turn green signals, this issue can still occur and I'm curious as to what strategies are employed to solve it. Something like mirrors at the corner of an intersection on top of a hill might be nice.

This entire paragraph referring to intersections and turns on things called 'hills' that obstruct your vision of an intersection is moonspeak to me. I live in Phoenix. :v:

Extra posted:

I'll remember that when my body is crushed into a fine paste by the hordes of drivers who do not know about this law.

I was simply responding to the legality of it, and the guy being 'justified' with being annoyed at a blocked intersection. It's always your job as a driver to make sure that an intersection is clear before entering a crossing or oncoming lane of traffic, but sometimes (like being in a queue to turn left) other drivers put you in a situation where it just sucks, and you have to depend on other drivers (who are pretty much universally stupid and impatient) doing the right thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pivit posted:

My first (defective) one did that, in addition to the shutting off thing. If I went into view mode on the camera and pressed up and down to see each file and then copied them over it would correct the problem, they'd load just fine. I'd try a different memory card.

It was the memory card. Oh well, it's not a total loss, I put the 64gb card into my phone, and stole the 8gb card from the phone to test with. Works perfectly, but 8gb is barely enough for one way of my daily commute, and that's with moderate to light traffic. I'll order a 32gb card and cross my fingers that it works.

I did a bit of a 'sound test' on the way home, where I cranked it up pretty good for a song. I was expecting to hear a garbled overdriven disaster on the recording, but surprisingly, the circuitry does a pretty damned good job of attenuating instead of just being an overdriven mess. The video on the other hand, doesn't do so well, and kind of jiggles all over the place on the loud bass. I'm not sure if the mount is amplifying the vibration from the windshield, or if the bass is mucking with the stabilization or what. Still serves the purpose of a dash cam regardless I suppose.

Here is a short clip for those brave enough to venture into the land that is my musical drive home if you want to see what I'm talking about. For reference for the audio goons - using medium response and flat, this is hitting 108~110dB Spl. I don't normally listen this loud as I'd rather keep at least some of my hearing for the next few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhwIsKi3qis

Haha.. Youtube has detected that your video is shakey!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

poo poo like that is scary. Nice reaction though, not the typical 'panic stop' that would have gotten you into a wreck (probably).

Should have had the audio on so we could have heard your stream of thought. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pivit posted:

I'm still in the "new dashcam this is so cool" phase so I took a recording of my daily commute and speed it up 16x in windows movie maker.

As you can see, we get some pretty severe gridlock around here.

I might hate you just because of that commute.

I did this with my commute home yesterday in response to your post (8gb card, so only enough storage for 1 way), but it turns out that watching an hour of driving into the sun in fairly light rush hour traffic really isn't very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGfIHiCj-4o

Drive only took 62 minutes, most nights it's closer to 90.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pivit posted:

Very cool, definitely more traffic than I'm used to having to deal with, at least it cleared up there towards the end.

As I noted, this was a fairly light traffic day. Party because I left the office later than normal, and partly because of random stars being properly aligned or something, who knows.

It gets lighter at the end because I live way the gently caress too far from town (thanks to the crash a few years back, I'm horribly upside down in my mortgage so I'm kind of stuck for now) and I simply drive out past where the traffic is typically.

Kill-9 posted:

A 1-1.5 hour commute? I'll stop complaining about my 12-15 minutes. And to think, I bitched pretty loudly when they moved the office and took my 8-9 minutes of back road driving to those unreasonable heights. I'm starting to look for a new position and remote positions are in the lead for me right now. No commute, no pants? Perfect.

It's 52 miles one way. Sucks, but that's life. My commute is why I drive a base model Fiesta to work instead of the M3 parked in the garage (or something else). 40mpg is a good thing.

On the other hand, starting a few months back, the company started helping me out quite a bit, and I now work from home 2 days per week. That saves me 220'ish miles on the car (including lunch drives, since I almost never take my lunch and eat in the office) and gives me 4-6 hours of time back per week.

One of these day's I'll get the house in a 'not' upside down condition, and start shopping for a place much closer to work.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So in a fit of boredom I watched a bunch of Russian dash-cam crash compilations.

I'm fairly sure that the Red - Red/Yellow - Green sequence was put into some document as a huge joke by a traffic engineer, and management accepted it as is and then wouldn't reverse the decision when the engineer came clean about the joke.

Every single video has at least one, and often multiple, crashes caused because every driver in Russia seems to think it's a pretty good idea to jump the light based on that yellow, while every driver in Russia also think's that it's a pretty good idea to blast through an intersection at full speed just as the light is turning red from green (or even within a few seconds after it turns red). Many collisions ensue as these two mindsets meet in the intersection.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

For the G1W, here are the instructions in English:

http://www.octabode.com/herb/Baiklov_Instructions.pdf

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So my dashcam worked to keep people around me driving completely normal for about 3 weeks. Today the new apparently wore off, so I put together a quick compilation of the notable dorks during today's drive.

1) Seemed a lot closer at the time than it looks like in the video, guy makes an awesome lane change.
2) Nobody is in this lane, I'll just go ahead and pull out there.
3) Dude in BMW from Cardinal's facility.
4) Wood debris on I-10
5) Guy cuts off semi and brake-checks him at the same time to hit his exit. This one is kind of hard to see between the sun and the distance ahead, but notice how the semi ends up partially out of his lane - he had to brake extremely hard to keep from driving over top of the moron in the white truck, and apparently his truck likes to veer right under hard braking.

Oh yea, fair warning - I was too lazy to edit out the sound so you get whatever music/radio was playing at each event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dyUapodKE

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Question:

What program do you guys use for creating youtube videos? Never done it before.

I have a ton of raw footage of my car from last weeks roadtrip to Vegas and will be taking tons more this weekend.

Windows Movie Maker works in a pinch for simple stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So this happened on the way home tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2meSqppE4

Dumbass.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Krakkles posted:

So, as dumb as that guy is, Chevy Equinoxes aren't exactly blazing fast accelerating vehicles. So maybe check your mirrors next time.

If you watch the beginning, you'll see I am pulling over after passing a completely different large pickup truck. The Chevy started his lane change (I saw him perfectly fine in my mirror, thank you) when I was about exactly splitting the lanes. You can clearly hear my turn-signal in the video starting before I began my lane change, so yea. gently caress off.

Chinatown posted:

Is that the 15 west of Vegas?

I have passed a few morons doing the "rolling roadblock" going 70mph before that way. Flat, straight, and clear visibility obviously.

I-10 west of Phoenix. I was doing about 80, and I was getting over because the next exit was mine, not because those guys in the left lane were going slow (they were probably doing just over 75).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Krakkles posted:

First off, that's ... quite a nice way to end a post. Thanks for that.

Second, arguments about who started the lane change first, etc, are really moot in the face of this: You willfully pulled out in front of a vehicle going much faster than you. You're not the speed police (which I guess is just the regular police, but still). Don't cause an accident because "you're right". You're just opening yourself up to "also being injured", which being "right" is not worth.
... Followed by an admission that you were just chilling in the left lane with the right wide open. Man, I love it when people do that.

Maybe I'm not typing English or something that made you not understand what happened. Maybe a picture would help.

After clearing that large Dodge Truck that is cruising along in the not quite so wide open right lane, I signaled and began a lane change into the right lane. Midway through my lane change, the vehicle going much faster than me started a lane change going from the left lane all the way to the shoulder, and then passing me.

Given that I was already halfway into the right lane when he started his abrupt lane change behind me, what would you think would be the proper course of action, since apparently being very predictable and continuing my already in progress lane change is causing an accident and being the speed police?

Edit: Re your post while I was posting. Do you not get over in advance of your exit? The upcoming exit was where I needed to get off the interstate. If I wasn't exiting there I would have just cruised along behind those other dudes since traffic in that area tends to be slower in the right lane (as evidenced by the truck I passed). I was simply saying that I was moving over in advance of my exit, not moving over to zip past the dudes in the left lane, who were going plenty fast enough that I would have been perfectly happy tooling along behind them.

In any case, whatever, feel free to think that I was the one pulling a stupid traffic move.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 30, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kazy posted:

I thought the guy was passing the big truck on the right, but he was behind you at first? Geez.

Is this gif accurate? (besides the shapes touching)

Yep, that's pretty much it. Still can't see why Krakkles thinks I pulled a stupid traffic move in this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Pulling out into the only gap a faster moving vehicle could possibly choose is just as dangerous as pulling into the lane it's already occupying. (If not more dangerous, because now two drivers are changing lanes, something they're generally pretty bad at doing safely.)

So I understand now, I should have somehow predicted that he would want to be in the right lane in front of the Dodge, and never begun to make my own lane change.

So my failure here was in my lack of mind reading ability, or failure of being able to reverse time and make my lane change not start after observing him starting his lane change while already mid-way through mine.

Or maybe signaling that I was moving out of the lane he was in so that he could just pass to my left was the issue?

Oh wait, I know! It was that I made my lane change a reasonably safe distance in front of the Dodge so that driver wouldn't have to slam on his brakes. Totally unreasonable of me to pull in front of that Dodge far enough ahead to leave a gap large enough to slam an SUV into.

:rolleyes:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

To clarify - in the video I have the camera up in that position on the suction cup, I just don't trust the cup to hold long term and would rather use the mirror mount.

I'm using the suction cup mount that came with the G1W and it's never come off. Going on 4 months now.

The car usually is in covered parking, but on some days I end up parking w/o shade since everyone goes after the covered spots now that it's hot, and still no problems with it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The really dumb thing is they were sitting at that first light in the far left lane, by themselves. No reason not to take the middle lane and then turn into the correct lane.

I see this every single day. There is a triple left at my exit for the office, and invariably, someone in the outside lane actually needs to be in the left lane, and/or vice versa at the first light which is a short block from the exit. So instead of just getting into the correct lane for their intended destination, they need to do a double lane change in heavy traffic in less than a block. Never ceases to amaze me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

I'm just very disappointed that I might have gotten a defective unit right off the bat

Out of box failures of one sort or another seem to be pretty high on these cheap dash cams. My G1W is the 2nd one, as the first one the display didn't work at all. Got it through Amazon so it was a non-issue getting it replaced, but I've read quite a few things about the high initial failure rate on these cheap cams. Great quality control I guess!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Murphy's law is real.

Yesterday, I took my car in for a factory 'customer satisfaction fix' (I guess they don't have to call it a recall that way) that was supposed to take a couple hours, so I didn't bother clearing out the car, and didn't remove the dash cam. Fast forward to the afternoon, and they call to say they are going to have to pull the transmission, and they are sending a driver out to pick me up to get my rental car.

Today, in my rental car, I'm sitting #1 in the left turn lane at a major intersection. The light changes, the two people in the intersection to make a left turn from my right begin to turn to clear the intersection, and some moron coming from my left runs the light and comes to a screeching halt right in front of me, blocking both left turner's partway through the turn. No impact amazingly, as the left turners stopped in time to allow the moron to skid past them. Much honking and 15 or 20 seconds later, he manages to get his car moving again and clear the intersection.

"Cool" I think, I finally got something worth saving on my dash c... oh... :smith:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I've just bought an fitted a better 12V-usb adaptor for my G1W and it STILL causes radio interference.

Slightly less than the built in one in that instead of no signal at all ever I now have an occasional low signal.

Is there anything I can do? Its looking like i can have radio or the G1W at the moment.

Get a line-noise filter for the power lead of the radio. This used to be a problem that had to be solved all the time with the early 70's cars with early high energy discharge coils.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I like how the one guy turned on the wipers after his windshield was shattered. Yea, that's just gonna wipe right off!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

^^ What spog said. I can't believe that any company would have a 'policy' like that, so your boss is probably a liar as well as a scumbag. Hope you get something much better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

A tiny bit of an idiot behaving badly. Watch the white Corolla up ahead next to the HOV lane. I witnessed some other assholery that same day but it was on a road perpendicular to the one I was on, so of course not on camera.

I see stuff like that almost every day (sometimes a lot more than once) on my ugly commute. I'm just too lazy to bring the SD card in after work, find it and keep it. Got to love long commutes.

I suppose I should figure out if there is a way to 'mark' spots on the recording on the G1W so I could reach over and push a button or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Great Beer posted:

The car behind this one caught it as well, and in much higher quality.

http://i.imgur.com/T2nmnDc.webm

The image you are requesting does not exist, or is no longer available - imgur.com

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

bolind posted:

A few good, solid, hard stops from speed would do a lot of drivers good, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if the average driver had no clue how hard you actually can brake in good conditions.

A local autocross group does a yearly 'teen driver school' thing that I instruct at. One of the things we run the kids through is full ABS stops, both in a straight line, and while making an emergency lane change. I'd say that 9 out of 10 of them do not get into the ABS until the 5th or 6th run through the scenario, even with an instructor sitting with them yelling to push the pedal harder (and having started the thing by demonstrating ABS with them riding along).

I think it was Mercedes that did some sort of a study while working on their automatic braking system that determined something like 50% or more of drivers in simulated barrier collisions never used more than 80% of the braking and did not engage ABS.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

A lot of newer cars will automatically apply the brakes 100% if you go from the gas to the brake quickly, no matter how gently you press the brake.

It was rather startling the first time it happened in the Panda.

That seems like a recipe for rear-end collisions to me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you guys get to use the red/green lights that Bondurant uses? I went through that back in December (on the one day it rained of course) and I didn't have too much trouble getting into ABS... because it was locking them up pretty easy on wet rough pavement :v:

I've done the Bondurant thing, but no, this was done by Border Region down in Marana. We used the redneck system of waiting until the last second and then yelling "Left!" "Straight!" "Right!" :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I was thinking more about my typical stop and go rush hour commute on the I-10. Thousands of cars following nose-to-tail, starting, accelerating briefly, then slowing to a stop again, with 90% of the drivers barely conscious and aware of nothing beyond the slight awareness that they should not ram into the guy in front of them. Insert a car that goes to full braking in this normal stop-n-go traffic, and it's pretty much a guarantee that someone rear-ends it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fair enough, but at least from my limited experience with them (the CR-V is the only car I've driven at any real distance that has this ability) they don't kick in just from a quick gas-brake transition; you've got to be jumping on the pedal a decent bit already. In that case, you're really just changing who gets rear-ended first.

I'd wager your old Fiesta and your Focus ST both have it.

Could be, but in that case, this description that I was replying to:

KozmoNaut posted:

A lot of newer cars will automatically apply the brakes 100% if you go from the gas to the brake quickly, no matter how gently you press the brake.

is completely wrong, otherwise I'd get it engaging constantly. I do my best to not do fast transitions from gas to brake, but there are at least a few times each day during the commute that someone decides they need to be in my lane right when I would normally be transitioning from gas to coast, or even while I'm accelerating, that require a judicious application of brakes straight out of acceleration.

Also - I've autocrossed the Focus a few times now, and I left-foot brake a lot while autocrossing, sometimes very hard braking coming off full throttle, and I've never noticed anything, and the only times I've been in ABS where when I wanted to be.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's really quite clear cut, unless you hand them dash cam footage of you being stupid and going "Yee-haw" as you accelerated into him, he turned left in front of oncoming traffic. He is fully at fault here in AZ. It wouldn't even be a question as he failed to yield to oncoming traffic. If it's illegal to make a u-turn there based on the laws where you are with that pavement marking, then that makes it even more clear cut.

Also, it's nice how after doing that he couldn't even figure out what lane he actually wanted to be in and ended up in the gore point.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Its illegal but failing to keep a lookout can net you some share of the liability anywhere in the country. Not the case here since he avoided the accident but industry wide the shared liability percentage is on the rise as insurance companies look to be more cost effective to offer better rates.

This might be true, but like I said - unless they have clear evidence that the guy didn't make an attempt to avoid that dude, it would be a pretty clear cut failure to yield, placing the fault clearly on the U-turn guy. Pretend there is no video at all, the cops show up to the wreck and find short evidence of braking prior to the impact. Given that 99.9% of the time no witness will stick around, it's pretty easy to place the blame on U-turn guy if it's between the word of the two drivers.

"That idiot didn't try to avoid hitting me when I made that illegal U-turn right in front of him." vs. "He made an unexpected U-turn right in front of me and I tried my best to stop before I smashed into him"

Seems pretty open and shut to me (again, barring video evidence from inside the car of him clearly not making an attempt to avoid).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wish I could say this was a rare occurrence. Thanks, ProStar!

I loving hate people that pull that poo poo. I always wish a cop was around when I see stuff like that, but they almost never are. :smith:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Well, I wasn't expecting to have content for the thread literally the first day I turn on my new KDLINKS, but Mustang drivers will not be chained down.

Towards the end you can hear the 2nd stang floor it again, because why should almost smashing into 2 other cars cause him to adjust his driving :v:

Neither one of those cars are Mustangs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm pretty sure that if I spent more than about 20 minutes in your car I would have a splitting headache. That drone...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Turn signal, what's that? :downs:

It's a device that is used to let other drivers know they need to speed up to cut off what would be a perfectly reasonable and safe lane change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wickerman posted:

After they enter the roadway, the continued lane changes are not acceptable, at least in my jurisdiction.

Ohio law forbids a lane change from occurring within 100ft of an intersection. That driver changes lanes IN the intersection.

What is with these troll posts?

Did not realize that it was unlawful to attempt to make a semi-related joke on the SA forums.

Carry on Mr. Serious.