Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
For those in the UK, Amazon has a few sellers with G1Ws for around the £30-35 mark including delivery, just picked one up myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Tomarse posted:

So are the ones on ebay like this one not the same as the G1W's everybody else is talking about? The specs look the same as the £35 amazon ones at a glance?

As far as I can tell from dashcam talk, there are a lot around that are either fake (worse hardware in same case) or old models on ebay- the only way to check some apparently is to open it up and check some chip numbers- it might be an awesome deal, or you might be getting a non "genuine" one.

*edit

like this one which is another £22 one that is apparently a fake

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 2, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Finally got my G1W hooked up, hated the suction cup thingy so I just ran a bolt through the thing that holds the rear view mirror on, hacked the mount off just above the ball and bolted it on. Stole 12V from the cig lighter, ran it up through the dash and into a horrific self made 5v adaptor/voltage readout/multi cig adapter thing in the glovebox, then ran another cable from there behind the dash, and up round inside the windscreen trim and dropped it out just above the mirror, the only bits you can see are the slight bit of cable and the remnants of the mount.

Pretty happy with the quality, but I'm going to have to wire it onto a different circuit eventually because my cig lighter circuit is always on and I get paranoid about running my battery low. That, and I might add a bit of araldite to firm up the joint, I had to turn off the shock sensor because it was protecting everything.

And of course, since I installed, very little in the way of bad driving. Worth the cost just for that.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 27, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Laserface posted:

I guess it depends on the power bank - it needs to be able to be charged while supplying power. Does anyone have one and can comment on that?

I had similar plans, so first thing I did for a test was to stick the card in, hook up a 5400mAh USB battery and leave it running. Filled the 32GB card before the battery died.

Now, you could use a smaller battery (5400mAh will charge my galaxy S3 twice with some left over), or a larger card (some 64GB cards apparently work on some G1's), or rely on the G sensor to keep stuff you want (I dunno, give the camera a smack if you want to keep a recording) but most of the batteries I have used require you to press something to get it to start giving a charge occasionally, so you would have to have that accessible.

From my tests in the house, it charges during use while still providing power to the camera, then when the main power was off, the camera will keep running happily off the USB battery until that died, then off the camera internal till that goes (theres a menu option for how long but the battery is poo poo and won't last long). Might try and snag the smallest USB battery I can find to test more.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

bung posted:

I want to pick up the G1W and I have a question about power. My Tacoma has the backup cam display in the rear view mirror. Has anyone picked up power from this type of mirror for their cam?

A lot of rear view cameras get powered on from reverse lights near the camera itself (saves running power all the way back to the dash, provides easy automation), so it comes on when you hit reverse- I would grab a multimeter and start loving around to find out.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

some texas redneck posted:

I'm running into that a lot - my new stereo basically goes to static anytime the dashcam is plugged in (on both AM and FM), so it's been unplugged more often than plugged in. :smith:

I really need to get a decent power supply for it.

I had my G1 neatly wired in and hidden away, no FM interference, but the power supply just upped and died so now I get to rewire it all. And how do I find this out? by having the first really postable fucknut be utterly missed- a large rental van decided to cross the main road from a side street, seemingly right in front of me, making me very glad I had reasonably fresh tyres and brake pads, fucker seemed utterly oblivious. I get home, glad I had something to show, examine the card and it hadn't been recording for days.

Maybe it should go in the OP not to trust the cheap piece of poo poo PSUs they come with?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Wickerman posted:

For G1(+W)s:

Cigarette Lighter to 2 USB: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-Port-Charger-Total-Output/dp/B00511PS3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925736&sr=8-1
15ft Mini USB Cable: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-15-Feet-Mini-B-Ferrite-105450/dp/B002KL8N6A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925748&sr=8-2
Adhesive Tape (it's outdoor type, in case that bothers anyone): http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Exterior-Mounting-1-Inch-60-Inch/dp/B00004Z4BV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411925819&sr=8-2

That was what I was using. I'm almost ready to buy a mini 0803 and move the G1W to the rear, so my new setup looks like this:

Same 15ft Mini USB cable as above
Same adhesive tape as above
(2x) 15ft Micro USB cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NLLI1E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
New G1(+W) mount for relocation: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOK1394/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4-Port USB Hub from Cigarette Lighter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2FK7O0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, but I bought a little 12V to 5V mini USB (looks similar to the one in the OP but with the correct connector) a few days ago, I'm going to tap power from my cig lighter or from the fusebox and run a cable behind the dash, up the side pillar, through the headliner where I can stash the component box for the 12V-5V in the light/sunroof bit, then drop the mini cable down to the rear view mirror, where I spliced in part of my mount so it became part of the rear view mirror mount. Hopefully will be doing this tomorrow so will take some pics. I tried the adapter to adapter thing before and I want to do it a bit cleaner this time.

And after being aggressively tailgated today (gently caress you buddy I was already a fair bit over the limit) I sure am considering a rear cam option too. Couldn't see the fuckheads numberplate he was so close at points :(

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Crosspostin' from my thread:

Forgot to take pics of the inital cable run, I tapped the cig lighter and ran power round under the gearstick trim, through under the glovebox, entirely out of sight.

Mmmmn. Torx bolts.

All the trim came off (and went back on) a shitload easier than my dearly departed mazda though. Chose the passenger side A pillar because there's an existing cable run/clips for the overhead lights, in which my cabling was tucked, then taped a bit for good measure.

The box wedged into the headliner like it was made to fit, then I duct taped the cables to the top of the headliner to try and prevent rattles. If I do have any issues, I can get into this area easily to fix it.

And it even worked first time and everything.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Anyone have issues getting the G1W to work in mass storage mode when connected to a PC? I don't seem to get an option, I caught some fuckwad running a red (he stopped, sat at the line, then decided his people needed him and blew through) yesterday and all my card readers are too ancient to recognise the 32GB card.

Also, moral question of whether to forward that poo poo to the police, and whether they would even give a gently caress.