Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't see the point in comparing the two at 20/10, because they're never going to be anywhere close to the same level unless you baby Nino for no reason. In actual practice, Nino is entirely pointless and Erk actually has some kind of purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In actual actual practice, no one cares about either of them.

:syoon:

For real though, I enjoy babying up Nino and using her. gently caress "oh but it's not wooorth ittt", it's a fun enough lategame challenge.

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 17, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Eeh, chalk me up as being crazy, but I never found Pent to really click with me. he has good bases, but he never really progressed beyond them, and ended up pretty bad when every one else caught up with him. Probably a mix of lovely growth rates and bad luck.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Momomo posted:

I don't see the point in comparing the two at 20/10, because they're never going to be anywhere close to the same level unless you baby Nino for no reason. In actual practice, Nino is entirely pointless and Erk actually has some kind of purpose.

To be fair, she is kind of a nice callback to Lugh/Raigh from FE6. So she's not completely pointless. :v:

Terper posted:

In actual actual practice, no one cares about either of them.

:syoon:

Pre-premotes are objectively awful, especially the good ones. Yeah, lemme just replace this dude I've been using since Chapter 5 in Lyn Mode with some dude who comes with with all the work done for me. :rolleyes:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Why do you care, though? I mean, as long as the game does not gives you a "I win" button, a good unit is a good unit.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair, she is kind of a nice callback to Lugh/Raigh from FE6. So she's not completely pointless. :v:

That's even less reason to use her.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The real way to play FE7 is to use all the magic users.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Last Celebration posted:

Pre-premotes are objectively awful, especially the good ones. Yeah, lemme just replace this dude I've been using since Chapter 5 in Lyn Mode with some dude who comes with with all the work done for me. :rolleyes:

Wait your argument is that prepromotes are objectively awful because they're really good? How does that make any sort of sense?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Wind God Sety posted:

Wait your argument is that prepromotes are objectively awful because they're really good? How does that make any sort of sense?

They're less fun.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Prepromotes get less levels.

More levels are good.

Therefore prepromotes are objectively bad QUD. :colbert:

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Prepromotes get less levels.

More levels are good.

Therefore prepromotes are objectively bad QUD. :colbert:

Counterpoint: Pent. :colbert:

And that's amazing when Erk refuses to get any magic.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
E: Nevermind

But Pent is awesome.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 17, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Prepromote counter arguments: FE6 Karel, FE11 Sedgar and Wolf. :haw:

Zore posted:

While this is true, ease of use/recruitment time definitely should be considered if you're trying to compare characters. Your arguments about Nino also apply to Vika, FE12 Est and the trainees. Are you also going to claim they're superior to, say, Volug, Catria, and Dussel/Lute/Garcia?

Saying Ross is a trick question sorta because you get him in what, chapter 6? He can be a level 10 Pirate in no time with about as much effort as you'd put in leveling Eirika up. Then you can have Garcia, Dozla and Ross give everything twenty hacks with the axis of axe.

Onmi posted:

Okay but you just compared to Erk, what about Pent? Also it's not less effort because Erk has Lyn mode where he has no competition for deployment and the early game where he can basically nuke everything with little effort. and even then, if he doesn't turn out, say hello to Pent.

And you're "Erk is the worst that's not Renault" is absolutely hilarious because his averages are perfectly reasonable to carry him through the game.

This conversation started with me mentioning Erk went 5 levels with 0 magic, as a reminder.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 17, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also Tanith.

Tanith's generic Falconknight summon MVP every game.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

cheetah7071 posted:

Also Tanith.

This guy knows what he's talking about

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wind God Sety posted:

You get less levels and thus less cursing at the RNG, which is 70% of all FE games.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Last Celebration posted:

The Best Character in the Fire Emblem Series is a prepromote.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Anatharon posted:

This conversation started with me mentioning Erk went 5 levels with 0 magic, as a reminder.

I know, and PEMN. You got unlucky, it happens. We can't judge units based on how they turn out one time because there's no consistency in that.

alcharagia posted:

Oh Devdan, I'm fairly certain you were meant to be the 4th Rider of Daein and Fiona's father.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hard Mode Percival.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

That's not Danved (the actual best character).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When they looked at the unused assets in Radiant Dawn, they found evidence of a scrapped plotline revolving around Danved. It's hard to tell, but we surmise it was originally planned that he'd be revealed to actually have been the same person as Devdan all along.

Which would be a huge shocker of a twist if true, but since it was cut from the game in an incomplete state, we'll never know for sure.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Also Tanith.

When Marcia caps strength, speed and skill by level 3 of Falcoknight, it's hard to justify using Tanith.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

When Marcia caps strength, speed and skill by level 3 of Falcoknight, it's hard to justify using Tanith.

Generic falcoknight is a god.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tanith is as good as a fully capped Marcia even if she never once engages in combat. Generic Falconknights are the true saviors of the Crimean people.

In all seriousness, Tanith's usefulness scales with difficulty in a way no other unit in the game does, because her summons are calculated the same way enemies are--including difficulty bonuses. In hard, they're alreayd miles better than her, and in an imported copy playing Maniac, they're like 20/5 Marcia with a little bit less HP, except you have two of them and can treat them disposably.

e: and you also get four pegasus knights who kinda suck but even in the absolute worst case distract the enemies from killing your units and contribute a bit of chip damage.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 18, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Expendable units really open up new strategies in Fire Emblem, which means that Tanith's reinforcements have a larger effect on the battlefield than you can usually expect to get from bigger numbers alone (even though bigger numbers are still fun).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tanith is the best user of the Sonic Sword which allows her to take on wyverns a lot easier than Marcia. There's also no real reason not to use both. Tanith is still better than almost every foot unit and flight makes her more useful than most other mounted units too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tanith isn't part of the reason Chapter 9 is an unending nightmare of hate and destruction. Therefore she is better.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Are you implying you should ever NOT run FE9 with all mounts/fliers/Reyson/Tormod. Cause I don't want to live in a blasphemous world where you're implying that Tanith and Marcia don't both deserve a spot on the squad.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Onmi posted:

Are you implying you should ever NOT run FE9 with all mounts/fliers/Reyson/Tormod. Cause I don't want to live in a blasphemous world where you're implying that Tanith and Marcia don't both deserve a spot on the squad.

Wait, you use Tormod?

Edit: Wait, you said you use all mounts. You use Makalov? :psyduck:

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 18, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

My Oscar ended up terrible. He was still on my squad though. Mostly dude to entropy.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

alcharagia posted:

Wait, you use Tormod?

I got Makalov once in a draft I did with some friends, and my general impression of him was that I was rng-screwed, he was slow as gently caress, and Mist had more strength than him at a lower level.

Mist actually carried most of the game for me because she had more strength than Ike in the midgame. It was an interesting draft.

In terms of LTCing PoR with Titania banned, Oscar is a godly unit to get in the earlygame, and Marcia is really useful too because of how early you get her as a flier. Oscar, Boyd, Marcia and Jill are top-priority picks in a draft, but fliers are generally so strong that Tanith gets grabbed as soon as they're gone.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 18, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fun fact, Makalov with his starting weapon (steel sword) is doubled by the bandits threating the villages in the chapter he joins in Maniac.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

"How hey, that guy must be Marcia's brother! I'll be sure to grab him since if she's any indication he'll be really great!"

*checks his stats*

*compares to Kieran's stats for reference*

"Bench."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've never used Marcia, is she really that good?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

"Hey that guy must be Marcia's brother! I'll be sure to grab him since if she's any indication, he'll be really great!"

*Check his poo poo eating grin*

*Benched*

e: ^Marcia can be good, yeah. But don't lose sleep over not using her, FE9 only has good units. And Sothe.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I've never used Marcia, is she really that good?

She capped Strength, speed and skill barely by level 5 as a falconknight for me. She's good. Doesn't hurt that fliers are amazing in PoR and that there's that item that makes bows to normal damage.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

She capped Strength, speed and skill barely by level 5 as a falconknight for me. She's good. Doesn't hurt that fliers are amazing in PoR and that there's that item that makes bows to normal damage.

PEMN, but she's your earliest flier with rather excellent growths in a game where mobility is KING. She's really loving good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Wait, you use Tormod?

Yes, Makalov is considered a high tier unit, I know that's shocking to you but again, people are judged on their average stats, and Makalov has pretty good averages all things considered. And considering BEXP and his natural movement range? yup.

Tormod, same noise, he's got good movement, You can't give his skill to someone else so you might as well use him.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

That's a really lucky Marcia. Her averages in key stats at 20/5 are 34/60 hp, 18/23 str, 22/28 spd, 15/24 def. In fact, even if Marcia capped speed pre-promotion, she is incapable of maxing speed by 20/5 as you claimed without putting a speedwing into her after promoting.

Honestly, on average Marcia isn't a god without some statbosoters, but even just being Nephenee on a pegasus is more than good enough. She has a shak period right after you recruit her where she either needs a good forge or a ton of bexp, but neither quantity is exactly in short supply, so it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SC Bracer posted:

PEMN, but she's your earliest flier with rather excellent growths in a game where mobility is KING. She's really loving good.

Good to know. Maybe next time I play the game I'll use her if I can figure out how to make her not die when enemies give her a nasty look.