Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've gotten good Eliwoods but eh. He's so boring I don't care even when he turns out good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

Fire Emblem: Awakening. I just got the weird lady who turns into a giant mole and murders people, but I've already got plans for my current team. I'm assuming she stays with my party? If she does, I'm torn between playing with the interesting new members and the members I've babied to their current levels and who has relationships with other party members. Any advice? Are there any particularly good characters I should be aware of? I know Donnelly stats up really quickly.

Also, there is no point in upgrading weapons right? Because they break and you can't repair them. But weapons are cheap at the stores.

One thing to keep in mind: Every S-ranked pairing you get will give you another new character down the line and only male and female characters can S-rank. (And only one S-Rank per character.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

The problem with the supports is that most of them just aren't that compelling because of how little the cast is integrated into the main plot, how barebones and half-assed the world-building is, and because of how the marriage mechanics and the free-form anytime, anywhere no-restrictions gently caress with the basic writing. This all leads to the writers relying on each character's stupid personality quirk as a crutch for padding things out which only worsens matters.

I'd definitely go with FE9's format as the best current solution.

You may want to replay FE9 if you don't think the cast was defined by 'the one quirk they had.' Except they had even less development in a lot of cases.

Fire Emblem always has fairly light character development because 90% of the cast can permadie once they join you. That leads to characters being lightly defined unless they are plot-heavy characters who game over/'get wounded' when death occurs. Supports and occasionally side-missions are how the characters get fleshed out because that is where you can be assured the character is alive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 19, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

Yeah, a lack of combat sustainability is also why my Lissa is like 9 levels behind everyone else. I haven't got the foggiest idea of how to level her up either.

Find boss who doesn't move. Find durable character. Unequip weapon. Let him hit character. Have Lissa heal. Repeat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Chrom marrying Sumia is fine; that's more or less what I think the developers were going with as the "canon" path anyway, given their limited number of marriage options and the fact that she's his wife in the opening cinematic.

Also the 'rescue Chrom" pairing video is called "Lovebirds."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Rude posted:

I always thought Snipers make the best "assassins", and I suppose being the only class that has high damage and accuracy 2-3 range weapons made up for their weakness. The +15 crit is also a great boon in all the fire emblems where snipers get a crit bonus. People who claim archers to be completely worthless though are really underestimating the class's potential.

They're really not. There are plenty of high-damage high-crit classes and the inability to counterattack is way way too big a flaw to make up for the ability to attack from 3-range with a fairly 'eh' weapon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Fire Emblem is mostly pretty solid. If anything I'd want them to remove a mechanic or two. I dislike Pair Up quite a bit and would be sort of happy if they removed it. They can keep Support Attack/Defend but Pair Up just sort of broke the game in a bad way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ungulateman posted:

The problem with Pair Up bonuses is more that they're insanely inflated rather than being necessarily broken. The idea of trading off an entire unit for a minor stat boost stops being unappealing when the minor stat boost is +2 or 3 to every stat and up to +9 on some.

I think removing the stat-based boosts and making the boosts scale much, much less with support ranks would fix it. Having Chrom with an S support give +5 Spd/Lck rather than +3 Str/Skl/Def and +9 Spd/Lck (for example) would be much more reasonable, IMO.

The problem is that literally any stat bonus is too much due to the way Fire Emblem works. Having one unit with higher stats is almost always better than two units with lower stats unless you're playing the rare defense mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm okay with infinite use for 'base' weapons but I dislike the idea that special weapons have infinite uses. If anything I feel like special weapons should be even more limited. Maybe the game'll prove me wrong but I have an uncomfortable feeling that It'll just boil down to "get great weapon, never ever reconsider what you have equipped."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

why on earth do you think these things

I assume because "Fire Emblem is weird about incest" isn't exactly new news. That said, I'd prefer it not be a subject of discussion at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Does no one remember Chrom, Lissa, and Emmeryn?

That makes perfect sense though. As soon as you become a Fire Emblem lord your hair instantly turns a shade of blue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Roy, Eliwood, Leaf, Alm, Celica, and Micaiah are myths perpetrated by Marth's enemies

don't fall for the anti blue hair propaganda

Eliwood and Roy alone make it clear why you shouldn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

The units also get different facial portraits based on how hosed they are.

And people said this wasn't a dating sim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

ill kill you, and in this game death is forever

What about Phoenix Mode?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Do not trust anything from reddit unless it has some sort of reliable backup, especially in cases like this.

(Kotaku being 'reliable backup' is debatable.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am going to assume that was just a theoretical exaggerated example and not something that actually happened because I like having faith in humanity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Txn posted:

Sadly, it isnt. People on Twitter were harassing a woman from the Treehouse team because she's a "SWJ". The hell is wrong with these people.

Well. poo poo.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Who is going to buy Corrin in Smash Bros.

No Amiibo, no sale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

(sidenote, why the hell do people make their screens tiny with a fake 3ds. Who does that help?)

It tries to give a more accurate view of how the game actually looks rather than blowing it up into a blurry mess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Is Steve Blum in Fates

Look in your heart, you know the answer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now I want Fire Emblem x Kingdom Hearts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

If you think Severa is bad, there's way worse twintailed tsunderes out there.

Don't play a Neptunia game.

That's just good advice in general though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly most of those changes sound pretty okay to me so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I am so absurdly hype for these games it is sort of ridiculous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dunban posted:

I doubt that there's a significant number who know who that wrestler guy named Benoit is, know what he did and would be deeply offended to encounter a character who shares part of his name with him. There's tons of people named Benoit, it's a somewhat common French name.

I just think it's a silly reason to change the name because of that. I mean, if you wanted to I'm sure you could find tons of people who share names with FE characters who did way worse things than that Benoit guy. As long as a character's name isn't, like, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin or The Taint Reaper, it's probably fine.

Chris Benoit murdering his family was a fairly high-profile event. I don't follow wrestling at all and I was well aware of it. Wrestling is not the biggest sport but Chris Benoit was a fairly memorable situation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nintendo's Fire Emblem Fates - Your boyfriend will only ask you to blow at S rank.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

So wait was it the tellius games selling like crap in japan that almost killed the series?

I think the tellius games are good

It was just the franchise as a whole not selling enough rather than one specific disaster AFAIK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General Morden posted:

final fantasy sold its soul for waifu

Considering the latest Final Fantasy game features nothing but attractive young men in various degrees of shirtlessness and no playable ladies I'm pretty sure the exact opposite of that is true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Not really? It might have been there a tiny bit but a lot of that was added on in remakes or artbook things after the fact. Pretty much none of it got expressed in the games' stories. See everything that happened to Cloud's design with Advent Children and the pseudo-sequels when in the original game he was just a serious, jacked dude that didn't talk much. I jokingly blame it on how popular Riku was in Kingdom Hearts but that probably didn't have as much to do with it as the overall transition to 3d in general.

Not that there's anything wrong with the design of FF protagonists in general (though I personally hate angsty or whiny protagonists in anything, gently caress Hope), that's just how they've cultivated their niche. Fire Emblem has done something similar in focusing their visual design in a particular direction to appeal really hard to a certain audience.

Cloud literally is so effeminate there is a joke about him being prettier than the actual lady party members. He's also kind of the opposite of strong and silent. (He's brash and cocky which the game uses for comedy.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 3, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Ike.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Ike is fun and has some emotional depth, Hector has some good lines but is kind of boring.

of course my favorite ike moments aren't him being Cool and Badass, but him really wanting to eat dinner with catpeople, him hugging Soren and telling him it's okay to cry, and him making weird jokes, so I think I like Ike for different reasons than most people like Ike.

Those are actually the reasons I like Ike so I'm there with you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

my waifu is a man, how bout you step back impatom!!!!

That isn't mandatory at all!

Our greatest hero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Every account I've heard is that it's trash

Have you actually heard from anyone who played it? Everyone I know who has says it's a genuinely pretty good RPG that, at worst, doesn't really have any reason to have Fire Emblem attached to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General Morden posted:

so is the fire emblem title just completely removed from the game now

It's still Sharp FE, unless you mean the words "Fire Emblem" which weren't part of the title before anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every school I went to considered D a fail grade, just one they'd give you extra credit or something to bump up to passing rather than an F where you're just hosed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weird, I use Chrome and it opens fine for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

neongrey posted:

timging a tiny picture doesn't make it expandable. Just going directly to the URL, even, shows a tiny picture.

?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I think this is happening because you've hotlinked a Wikia image. If you already have the full-size image in your browser cache, you'll see that one, but the hotlinking protection is serving up a thumbnail instead to those who are requesting the image for the first time.

Always rehost your images, kids!

That would be weird because I've never been to a Fire Emblem wiki!

Maybe I'm haunted. Frigging wiki ghosts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm curious, did they mention how FE:F sales numbers are tallied up? Does that include just the purchase of the main game? If so then even though it's sold less than Awakening it probably already turned more of a profit with second/third path buys,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

They're only counting physical copies sold, not digital or DLC additional routes.

In that case, yeah, Fates must have done gangbusters for them, I have to imagine there is a pretty high tie-in rate for at least the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I'm having a difficult time with Chapter 11 in Awakening on Hard Casual. It's one where you have to rout the enemies and there's Gangrel at the bottom of the map, and a bunch of mages on the right.

It's taking me forever to do anything. Like I can kill maybe 1 guy per turn and then if I'm lucky nobody dies. Should I be grinding until I can just steamroll them or is there some sort of strategy I'm not getting?

Are you pairing up? By that point pairing up should be wrecking the difficulty curve.