Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I had a 10 move Fiora in my latest FE7 run just because she was turning out really well and I decided to make her even crazier. Also gave her a Body Ring she probably didn't need because she ended with capped skill and speed anyways. I didn't NEED a 10 move flier but I had fun doing it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You start from the bottom with half your units on the path and a few units in that left garden. The center will have a fair number of enemies and reinforcements while the sides will be a bit safer but longer and will require you to unlock doors.

None of the enemies are placed yet and we're still a couple of chapters away from setting this one up but that's the current plan for the chapter.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

FoolyCharged posted:

There could be thieves that unlock the side doors, along with stronger forces down the sides ready to flood out and trap you in a pincer. That combined with chest thieves giving you a loot time limit, and the maps ample room for reinforcements could make just charging down the middle a death trap.

I'll have to consider chest thieves and loot time limits when doing the map because those are good ideas.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Artix, remove the Rescue staff from Chapter 3 if you do this. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Amppelix posted:

When/if you do chest thieves, please do extensive testing, because I have a passionate hatred for that particular game mechanic. Whenever chapters include them I take forever getting through them because I play super impatiently and inevitably only win because of clutch crits.

Or, in case the hack's purpose is to extract bitter tears from me, feel free to include all the chest thieves. I will still probably play this because right now, it's looking pretty fantastic compared to most of the hacks out there! Good job guys :unsmith:

When it comes to Normal Mode, I'm the one doing the majority of the balancing. I'm not THAT good at the game overall so we kinda use me as a benchmark for the "average" player. So far the difficulty has been pretty fair. It's a definite step up from vanilla FE7 but still fair and accessible. I'll definitely be taking this into account once we get to Chapter 9.

Now when Artix gets to Hard Mode, all bets are off because I'm never going to touch Hard Mode.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

code:
[12:08:50] <&Artix> Man, the general thread is a dangerous place to be
[12:08:54] <&Artix> I'm getting so many ideas
[12:12:41] <~FPzero> we're all screwed
When Hard mode comes around and you all are playing it, you know who is to blame.

The monster is everyone.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is the list of documented AI settings:
code:
#ifdef _FE7_
#define NoAI 			[0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00]
#define PursueWithoutHeed 	[0x00,0x02,0x02,0x00]
#define GuardTile 		[0x03,0x03,0x09,0x20]
#define Guard 			[0x00,0x03,0x00,0x20]
#define AttackInRange 		[0x00,0x03,0x09,0x00]
#define DestroyVillages 	[0x00,0x04,0x01,0x00]
#define HealUnits 		[0x0F,0x04,0x00,0x00]
#define StealFromUnits 		[0x10,0x05,0x09,0x00]
#define StealFromChests 	[0x06,0x05,0x09,0x00]
#define TalkToLord 		[0x06,0x0B,0x0A,0x00]
#define AttackWall 		[0x00,0x1B,0x01,0x00]
#define SeizeThrone 		[0x00,0x1E,0x00,0x00]
#define DestroyVillageIgnore	[0x06,0x05,0x01,0x00]
#define DoNothing		[0x06,0x03,0x0A,0x00]
#endif
DestroyVillageIgnore and DoNothing were both defined by us after discovering them in FE6's disassembled chapter events so that means that when we started this thing we only had a dozen known AI settings. Each byte causes the AI to act differently but there's no documentation anywhere on what each one does. The best we know is that thread SC mentioned, where someone tested a bunch of settings and took an educated guess that the first byte relates to Attacking, the second to Movement, the third to Recovery and the fourth to standing your ground. None of this comes with any guarantee. Earlier, Artix was attempting to brute force a solution based on guesses we took using the HealUnits setting, but we didn't get very far.

We keep wishing that more of this stuff was documented but for as much as Serene's Forest has, we realize there's so much they don't have or simply don't share publicly. If nothing else, when we do figure out previously unknown information, we've been sharing it with other good romhackers.

We'll keep trying to get Dancer AI to work but there's a very good chance that it simply is not coded into the game in any way.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Correct. We discovered this AI setting still existed when we realized FE6 had thieves that ignored the player completely to accomplish their goals. So we took a look at the chapters where that happened, copied the AI setting for those thieves into our FE7 events and found that we can now have enemies that completely ignore the player and focus entirely on attacking villages. The same might be true of stealing from chests but we haven't tried it yet.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Last Celebration posted:

Don't thieves already ignore the player unless they're in the way or have something to steal though?

Possibly, but it wasn't documented. It just so happened that we remembered and had an example of it happening in FE6 first so we looked there to start.

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Documentation of FE is so bad I spent 5 hours yesterday just marking down what indexes led to what text files for supports, classes, and items. For reference, text in the FE ROM is stored in values from 0000 to 133D, in hexadecimal format. Everything in the ROM from 0059 to 01AE is supports. A quick search on Google makes it look like this isn't documented at all. Hell, before I sat down and manually checked everything, we just knew that it was supports, we didn't even know which value belonged to which support. It's surprising the amount of FE hacks and attempts at hacks, and how little anybody actually wrote down for other people's use.

And we should note that we didn't even know it was supports until I went through all the Text Indeces and categorized them into those broad labels. There's very little documentation for hacking the games overall because for whatever reason, most hackers choose to keep their discoveries to themselves instead of passing it along for everyone to benefit from. Did you know that at one point a few years ago, someone got Manaketes fully working in FE7? They did, but never shared the knowledge of how to do it so it's been lost until someone tries again.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is probably a more dangerous and creative development to be completely honest.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In Awful Emblem news, it only took me about 4 days to insert a modified female thief animation because the tool for doing this is poo poo. :shepicide:

Basically, Cath's battle sprite has no color variation, so unless I wanted our thief to have the same color cape, shoes, pants and hairband I had to edit it to more effectively use the given palette. The result is the colorful thief seen above (who is basically one of the team's favorite characters in terms of personality) but drat was this a royal pain in the rear end to get functioning properly.

Lots of little changes have also been made for the sake of better balance. Artix was busy working on more hard mode chapters and discovering new ways to be evil. One of the major changes made in the past few weeks was turning the starting Priest, Niccolo, into a Bishop. His bases are terrible (a true Jeigan) but they have to be to balance out the fact that he has magic against enemies with no res. Using him is basically a free 12 damage against anything, which has actually made some early chapters less stressful and also allows him to set up kills for the weaker units. To balance him drop in bases, we increased his growths. He'll never be super-good, (he has 8 mag and 8 speed base :gonk: ) but he's a great healer right out of the gate and that Healing ability will actually cause him to gain a couple of levels even though he's promoted.

One of these days I'm actually going to sit down and place chapter 7's enemies. That's my next task.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just want to say Can is a Technical Wizard and I've had the pleasure of watching him work on these new features over the past few months. He's been an invaluable source of help and information for those of us working on Awful Emblem so I have the utmost confidence that he'll manage to get it to the level of technical detail he's shooting for.

Speaking of Awful Emblem, we hit our one year anniversary the other night. I thought about writing an effortpost about it but then decided that was too much effort. So instead, here's a recent picture showing a new magic tome:

I'll go more in depth on the magic tome and a few others like it at another time. Just know that Awful Emblem is going to have a few new toys to play around with.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Technically we have an irc channel located on SynIRC, channel name #awfulemblem, but almost no work goes on in there. Most of our development happens in skype calls. We do post pictures in here from time to time but that's it. I don't have any good pictures right now either, since a lot of our recent work has been script related. We're trying to get things finished up for a demo but I have no timeframe on that other than hopefully within the next couple months.

Our progress so far puts us as Chapter 8. Our goal for the demo is to finish chapter 9, the end of Act 1, and get all the script coded up and inserted.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Seems like the next version of the randomizer really needs to make the fix patch move the three Lord's bases from their classes to their character entries. That's how they are right now and that's why they are all horrible. Then again if you do that any other character that gets randomized into a lord class would be terrible so I don't know what the true answer should be.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

A different question now, everyone's talking about characters keeping their original weapon ranks but my game isn't doing that. Did I miss an option in the randomizer?

My 1-range axe animations are also messed up and now all show 2-range animations but that's a different story.

edit: Now I'm playing Knight Emblem help

FPzero fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 3, 2014

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nihilarian posted:

I think that's what they're doing in FE7x, right? I know I saw it somewhere, and I think it's there.

It's what we're doing in Awful Emblem at least.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm gonna go get wasted in celebration. The last two weeks have been major crunch time in getting this ready.

Hopefully you all enjoy it!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Xander77 posted:

If you're doing a defense mission, you may want to write a slightly different outcome, or at least different dialog if the player does the obvious thing - charge forward and slay all before him. I spent the last two turns just hanging around, wondering whether the game will acknowledge my success in any way.
We plan to, it's just that the eventing for this requires some time to hammer out all the possibilities and we didn't have time for it right now.

quote:

Visiting the hut in the forest near where you recruit Frank replays the dialog between Judith and Niccolo from the prologue chapter.
drat that crazy mountain hermit, he keeps putting other text over his! :argh:
I swear I've fixed that like, 3 times already but I guess not. I'll fix that up.

Endorph posted:

Some of the custom sprites and animations are incredibly wonky, and a few specific lines are odd/stiff and could do with another pass over by an editor, but all of those things can be fixed easily enough.
We can look into it, though it's debatable how "easy" animations are to change. Fun fact, the last thing I did before releasing the demo was insert a couple new animations because I was that paranoid that they would bug out for no good reason and explode the rom. It's happened before.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 1, 2014

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That was a very succint explanation, Artix, thanks.

In this specific instance, I had to change all character movement commands from using named referencing to using coordinate-based referencing to avoid the rom breaking. So, movement commands like this:

MOVE Richter [10,-1]

became

MOVE [8,2] [10,-1]

Basically, if I reference a character by name and that character doesn't exist in the scene, the game will hang and freeze. If you use a coordinate-based reference, the game doesn't care if there's actually a unit in that square and will continue whether or not there was anything to move. So what happens if a character is dead and the game calls their name? It freezes. So that's why I changed all the MOVE commands for chapter 3. I'm guessing what happened here is that I probably mixed up who was who since I was no longer dealing with names and somehow missed it in the last test. It was one of the final changes we made before making the patch so I'm not surprised it wasn't tested fully.

And now you know why! One way or another, we'll definitely fix it up.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm on my phone but someone from the team please link banditloop.avi from my twitch channel.

It's really entertaining when something breaks but the game keeps going.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And you're not even the project lead! Though after that I think I'm going to make you a press secretary too.

Don't really have much else to add to those posts. I'm eager to keep working on the hack once we get back from our break. We've got a nice list of bugfixes and alterations to sort through from everyone's feedback.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Fire tome is a result of that enemy having a bit set to drop its last item. It's intended so you can get the door key off him but if he uses it first then the fire tome becomes the item drop instead. I've never liked that situation but haven't yet thought of a better way to deal with it since any enemy that has a door key in their inventory and is not set to stand still will rush over and use it at first opportunity.

You'll find that soldiers in general are like lance myrms in our hack. Speedy but not as strong, though having lances makes up for the less strength. Later on, halberdiers are going to be very dangerous, as we intend to give them a +15 crit bonus. Snipers will also get that bonus too.

Chapters 8 and 9 were probably the least tested of our chapters so I'm not surprised that they're a bit rougher than the others. It also doesn't help that I keep thinking Decay is the next damage-only dark magic tome in our expanded magic system. Hex is the tome I'm looking for and should probably replace most instances of Decay with. In general I'm also worried about how many reinforcements show up in chapter 8 because I sorta just decided that chapter 8 was reinforcements galore.

Looking towards the future, I think we'll probably have a development stream some time later this week to begin addressing the feedback we've received in real time. It'll also allow you all to tune in and watch as the game gets made and bugfixed and we can answer questions in the chat too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Not really. We could easily make the unit an archer or something. I guess we just wanted a mage over there too.

vvv e: Honestly that's an even better idea.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 6, 2014

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ah yeah that Shaman is actually a different character from all the rest of the units due to the fight and I guess I forgot to make his name point to the correct name.

Regarding that dev stream I mentioned, I think we'll do it tomorrow night, so Saturday, August 8, starting around 8:00 PM EST at http://www.hitbox.tv/FPzero and it'll go until we get tired. We'll probably be going through the feedback document we have so far and making alterations. Maybe we'll even touch upon new content and we can definitely answer questions about the hack. If you're at all interested in the project and don't mind that a good portion of it might be staring at a notepad document or 20, please feel free to show up and listen in.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Development stream will be beginning in a few minutes.

http://www.hitbox.tv/FPzero

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And it's over. We got a lot done on the feedback side of things and had fun telling stories of development to those watching. After the feedback ended we designed Chapter 10 for a couple hours:

Thanks to everyone who watched and asked questions. We'll definitely do more development streams in the future and post updates from time to time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

They are not and we don't have any plans for gay characters at this time. The reason is that we have all our characters written at this point and to arbitrarily shoehorn something like this onto their existing character(s) would not feel right. Something like this has to be a part of the character during their design phase in order for it to feel more natural and it never crossed our minds as we were building characters.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In minor Awful Emblem news, I just put together a 1.02 demo that includes the fixes that we did during the dev stream. Feel free to judge for yourself if you want to play it all again, just know that it's mostly the same as the first demo but a bit better balanced and slightly less buggy.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/89k3g2pggavq5k7/AEdemo1.02.zip

Changelog posted:

Demo v1.02
+Nerfed some boss bases to account for throne bonuses.

Demo v1.01 (private demo)
+Minorly buffed growths and/or bases for Niccolo, Clover, Willow, June, Victoria, Fia, and Paula.
+Rebalanced Kate's growths. Same total percentage, different spread.
-Mage in chapter 3 no longer has the chance of dropping a Fire tome
-Elwind has been temporarily given effectiveness against all fliers until we make a pointer specifically for pegasi. Doesn't actually matter right now because there are no wyverns in Act 1.
-Mountain house in chapter 4 no longer replays a scene from the prologue.
-Kate's death quote no longer causes portrait duplication
-Rogier's battle quote with Judith should work now. It was caused by a conflicting event ID.
-Jack is no longer an NPC in chapter 9 so as to prevent rescue shenanigans
-Some Decay tomes have been changed to Hex tomes for balance.
-The Nova tome in chapter 9 has been replaced due to a freezing bug related to attacking from 2-range with an archer.
-Chapter 9's cavaliers should attack upon charging the player now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The GBA animations are really top-notch. They were easily my favorite part of playing the games when I was younger, especially in 7 when you get the Lords' final weapons and they all come with special animations. All the smears and stretches and flashy effects were just awesome, and still look great today.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Go Martin! I knew you had it in you!

That might be the first perfect level I've seen in all our testing. I haven't gotten one yet though I did get a 6-stat.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The only thing with a 6/7 remake is that they'd have to make it so you play 7 first and then 6 since chronology and all that. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Momomo posted:

I question the magic changes a little. While you're definitely right that it's always neglected, magic has always been an easy way to kill anything that isn't a mage or Pegasus Knight since they typically have really low res. Will you be upping enemy res to compensate for that?
Most likely, we will be looking into adding some RES to certain classes' bases. One of the things we need to get around to doing before diving full on into Act 2's development is to go back and overhaul the enemy levels and bases in act 1. You can end up relatively high leveled by the end of act 1 with characters averaging level 10-12 and so we want to determine if we need to slow the player's experience gains by making enemies have lower levels but higher bases throughout Act 1. As we do that, we can definitely look into Res stats as well.

The Shortest Path posted:

Worm being the only E dark tome seems kinda unfortunate, though I suppose it's not really that big of a deal. The rest of that looks fantastic. If I may suggest something, what about a tome that is strong but only has one range, like an animated sword slash kind of thing? Or a longbow tome that has 2-3 and can't attack adjacent.

The main thing about magic is that it's all both melee and ranged, which is why it has so few other variables because it's naturally superior to other weapon types in that regard. Having that traded for something else opens up a lot of design space.
Worm's an E rank tome mostly just to give Dark magic an E rank. Rose starts with Flux from the get-go and either starts with Flux too or picks one up later on, can't remember which. Really, it's more of an enemy weapon that the player just happens to have limited access to because honestly, poison on the player's side is usually unnecessary. As for changing the ranges on certain tomes, it wasn't something we'd originally considered. It's a trivial thing to change so we might play around with the idea a little bit with the existing new tomes. We don't want to add additional magic tomes at this point though, mostly because magic animations are a pain to make, locate and/or import and we'll already probably need to make a few custom ones for dark magic unless we can get some rips from FE8 working.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Onmi posted:

Just gotta fix that bridge...

Is this from the custom tileset thing you mentioned to me the other night?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

FE7 is pretty basic as FEs go, but the game is built around that fact is a solid entry because of it. Yeah, it's on the easier side throughout most of the game but it is fun seeing huge numbers and crit chances on your side. One of these days I might actually play HHM, but probably not on the VC release because I don't really want to play through the game twice to unlock it.

Also, the GBA spritework is fantastic as always.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Onmi posted:

I preferred FE6's tutorial, it was in the options in case you needed a Tutorial. FE7, and I know why they did it, just bugs me with the forced Tutorial.

Presumably it was because this was the first game in the series to get an international release and westerners would be unfamiliar with its mechanics. I know I found the slow tutorial useful the first time I played the game.

That said, 11 chapters was probably excessive but I understand why it was probably done.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I took the dude from the other path all the way to endgame because he decided he wanted to cap strength by wailing on falcoknights. :allears:

He had a few interesting supports too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Samba De Amigo posted:

Dream team of Hector, Dorcas, Dart, Bartre, Lowen, Oswin, and Raven. If you're REALLY lucky maybe Hawkeye, or Sain/Kent. Unfortunately Geitz can never join the dream team.

I disagree, my last Geitz hit level 20 1 point shy of the strength cap with a bunch of skill, speed, and defense backing him up. Only bad part was that he didn't make it to S rank.

This is back in FE6 but I think the best unit I've ever had in a GBA game (barring FE8 postgame) was this Clarine:

Her rate of Magic gain dropped off after level 10 (she had 16) but by god was she dodgy. And 18 magic is plenty to hit a lot of things with.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Either way, the Ocean Seal is 50000G in the secret shop which pretty much negates all chance you'll ever buy it unless you've been grinding the arena something fierce.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

cheetah7071 posted:

I have literally never promoted Dart because 25k gold is worth more than he is. How else am I supposed to afford Farina????

Find the Ocean Seal in the Desert? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

While it's definitely fun to view the supports in game, it's way more practical to read them online or download a 100% save file for use with VBA and read them in the supports viewer.

Like, I understand why there's a limit given paired endings and not allowing bonuses to get out of hand, but dammit some of these conversations are getting interesting IntSys!