Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I've spent the past couple weeks playing through Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn (the only modern FE games I haven't yet played) and man, I'm surprised by how much fun I'm having. Awakening was my favorite for a good long while (four full playthroughs, man) and it still has probably my favorite cast of characters, but the gameplay in PoR/RD is so good. When I tried to get back into Awakening for the first time in a while after playing it, I just felt kind of burnt out on how simplistic most of the maps and objectives were/how incredibly weak the main plotline is. (Again, I love the game's character writing, but the Valm arc feels like a complete waste of time, and Validar is the worst)

I get that any further games in the series are likely going to keep the open-world, free grind scheme after Awakening's success, but I'm sure as hell gonna miss stuff like bonus XP, characters getting supports by shared chapters instead of grinding points, and even the info conversations. I really do hope that Canter for mounted units, crossbows, shoving, and the best FE class ever (soldiers) make it back in at some point, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mabels big day posted:

FE7 is separated into different parts right? People keep saying Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector mode, so I assume that is the case. Will I be using totally different units in each one?

I have reached the part where I'm learning about items that upgrade my units, is there a limited amount of these, and is it recommended to try and get my units to level 20 before I use them?

Basically, Lyn mode is the tutorial. Units keep their levels and stats and such when you move on to the next campaign. Eliwood and Hector modes are two variations on the same campaign, with some different dialogue and levels - you unlock Hector mode once you beat Eliwood's campaign once.

There is a limited amount of promotional items, with the exception of a secret shop that sells them. Getting your units to 20 before promoting is always the best option, since their leveling will slow down a fair bit after promotion.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Is getting Wallace in the other parts of the game bad or something?

Basically, there are two versions of a certain map with separate recruitable characters, determined by the combined level of your three lords. The dude you get if your levels are high enough is far superior to Wallace, and Wallace's map has fog of war, which is always a pain in the rear end.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Using just Soren means you're not using Illyana.

And that just won't do.

I used both Soren and Illyana in my last FE9 playthrough, in addition to Calill and Rhys!

...I was not the most optimal player. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

They wouldn't do it because it would be a total nightmare to balance all of that. A lot of people would probably never use it either.

It would be kinda cool to tweak things.

It'd be a pretty rad new game + bonus!

Man, now I'm sad that this will never happen. :smith:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

killer, hammer, poison, halberd, master

he's also one of the few non-bosses in the game to have a skill - Charisma in his case

No one has as many friends as the man with many axes.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CeallaSo posted:

Maybe you'll find out that some of the characters you put up with and accept and gradually learn to like in one campaign are actual people with flaws that might make you hate them in different circumstances. Or at least be okay with killing them.

Like if Tharja had just been a boss instead of a recruitable character and all you ever learned about her while playing was that she was super nuts and into you would you have even cared about slaughtering her like all the rest?

So like Henry's support with Ricken, basically? :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ahahaha, oh god, I just got to the part in Radiant Dawn, Part 3, where you get the Dawn Brigade again. After having it easy with Elinca and Ike's crew so long, I forgot how much these chucklefucks sucked. Fiona, Meg, and Laura all got benched after recruitment, and Jill has 13 strength after promotion. Even though I've been trying to raise Leonardo, he's, well... Leonardo. Micaiah, Zihark, Aran, and Edward are really my only units worth a drat.

I also love how your first map with them is a swamp level with fog of war, because of course it is.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

My Nolan isn't the greatest, but he and Sothe at least managed to pull their weight. I tried to use Volug. He was down to 2 HP after one turn. Thankfully, those four GOOD units were more than enough to clear the chapter, without any help from the bonus reinforcement. Leonardo's bow almost helped to make up for his mediocre existence.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Given that Sting games by definition are loaded with hidden bullshit, are there any super-obscure characters that I can miss out on recruiting? If so, does the game at least hint to their existence, or are there any Stefan situations?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I love how the battle music changes depending on whether you're being aggressive or passive. The English voicework is actually pretty good from what I've heard so far, too. The game seems a lot more straightforward compared to Knights in the Knightmare. (I admittedly really dug the gameplay for that, but I kind of lost interest because I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on in the storyline.)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

You know, with the shiny new castles in If, I think it'd be interesting if there was an Xcom style memorial wall somewhere in your home base. It always struck me as jarring when units wouldn't react at all to their loved ones dying, and though I understand why, it'd still be nice to at least maybe give them a canned line or two. (Also, a memorial would allow careful players to look at their blank wall and gloat unto eternity, always a fun time.)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Terper posted:

So this dude on Serenes just up and out of the blue released a completed romhack yesterday. The sprites are okay-ish (what the heck is going on with Ash though), but it's pretty tough so far and the story's not bad, so check it out if you want something new Fire Emblem.

Maybe it's because I just came from reading The Last Promise's LP, but drat this has some pretty legit good writing to it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

We could always hope that Nohr-side uses the Tellius type of supports. (Base conversations, go go go!)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I'm playing Path of Radiance now. It's my first time playing a console Fire Emblem game. Is there anything I should take note of? Does the regular advice of avoiding using pre-promos still hold?

Look up a recruitment guide (for the desert level at the very least) because a couple characters are locked behind extremely obscure bullshit.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Shadow Dragon was my first-ever Fire Emblem game. I finished it, but man it almost turned me off of the rest of the series entirely.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Lame first gen characters:
Ricken
Say'ri

Cool first gen characters:
everyone else

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

say'ri is a lesbian samurai

she also has like three supports

I don't dislike her but man that just isn't enough

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

man, Laurent is actually one of my favorite kids. he may not have the force of personality of, like, owain, but he's a very likable character to me just because he's A Good Dude.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Artificer posted:

For Paralogue 3 on Awakening, how do I save the three villagers with death wishes? They keep running away into the enemy and I can only move so fast. Im thinking of airlifting Sumia/Chrom and Donnel/Cordelia over there but it is still only two pairs. Maybe they will buy enough time for the rest of the people to hit the village and then come over.

it isn't worth it at all.

Saving a single villager gets you a good item. The second and third villagers give you a log and a ladle.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i tried so very hard to use jill in RD, but she had like 11 strength after second tier promotion bonuses

I just used Haar instead. Haar is cool.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

out of all the FE9 characters, I still have absolutely no idea why Largo of all people is the one that they didn't feel the need to bring back. it's not like Lyre or Kysha would have been missed if space was the issue, there.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

alcharagia posted:

you know what, oscar is pissing me off. i have to bring titania to every single map in the game to get her and ike to an A support, right?

If it's not literally every single map, it's very, very close.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nakar posted:

At least Lucia doesn't eat up a promotion item or anything. And could give Earth support to Janaff.

I'm really reaching here but these are things that are arguably better than being Rolf.

Rolf can easily become a one-man death machine in RD. Lucia... can't.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Normie Slayer posted:

I guess it's whatever then.

On a different note, I usually like playing games chronologically, since it just sort of bugs me hopping onto a series' latest release. I own Shadow Dragon, but it is boring. What other Fire Emblems are worth playing? I really like Awakening, but after Shadow Dragon, I'm worried the other games won't grab me like this one did.

Basically, every other game with an english translation is worth playing. Just don't play Radiant Dawn before Path of Radiance, since it's a direct sequel.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, so I also picked up Awakening so I could have Fire Emblem on the go. Anything I should know about that hasn't been covered in the OP? I got the memo about Frederik.

Should I bench Lissa as soon as possible? Only time she can gain exp is when someone's hurt, and I've had like really limited opportunities for her to do that. Also, I made the self-insert good at magic and bad in res. How much did I just screw myself over?

Don't bench Lissa. Just have her heal every single time your units get a scratch, and she'll probably be pulling far ahead of your other units EXP-wise in no time.

Robin will pretty much always become the strongest unit in your army, no matter what bonuses/penalties you give them, so it should be fine.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

also, some of the kid's recruitment chapters will be too difficult for you if you unlock them as soon as possible, don't sweat it if you can't do them all at once

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

I take this to mean that I shouldn't bother playing Tear Ring Saga.

everything I've heard about Tear Ring Saga makes it sound worse and worse.

if you send a certain unit to a certain village, she gets captured and sold into slavery. every single female unit in the game, at some point, gets the "YOU'RE A GIRL YOU SHOUDNT FIGHT ILL PROTECT YOU BLRGH" speech

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nakar posted:

The gating of supports was both bad and good. It is aggravating that supports usually don't talk about anything interesting anymore, but understandable in instances where they can't talk about plot if it hasn't happened yet. But this leads to stupid poo poo like the Renault supports having a ton of neat backstory in FE7 because he joins late enough that it won't be spoilers but good luck getting them because they require you support a stupidly late-game prepromote with loving Wallace and poo poo.

Kind of related to this, I really liked Henry's support with Cordellia in Awakening because it's guaranteed to take place after Chrom's been married, so they can actually address the fact that her crush was already taken.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Terper posted:

Of course, they don't adress the possibility that she's already been happily married for two years

...I don't normally support more than one opposite-sex couple per run, so this never even occurred to me. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

About hacks for the FE GBA games: Somebody recommended Elibian Nights but I couldn't get into it since there's little character growth since everybody seems fully promoted. The writing is okay, but takes itself a bit too seriously for a fan game IMO.

I decided to go with The Last Promise instead, which is also a hack for FE7. It uses a brand a new cast of characters but retains the same game mechanics. Only six chapters in and I have to say it looks really good. There's character growth so you can certainly raise and build your own team. The maps are generally well-designed and challenging. Some of the music is pretty catchy too. I'm honestly surprised how much time must have been invested in this.

The Last Promise is a pretty good hack except for the fact that the main character is an insufferable jackass. The writing actually has its moments, but Siegfried kind of just drags the whole thing down.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

who's actually worthless in PoR, i honestly couldn't say. Lucia, maybe?

sothe, I guess? Other than those two pretty much every unit in the game can be good, tho, so I'm not sure what you meant by worthless units

Radiant Dawn, on the other hand... :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

i wasnt really mad at you i was mad at whichever infofeed you picked that up from, because i know there's insane internet people freaking out about it

that seems to be a recurring theme with Fates

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

JoltSpree posted:

Awakening we need to have words about this 'not giving me any second or master seals through map merchants when all of my units are reaching level 20 unpromoted' poo poo.

I agree that second seals are too scarce, but master seals unlock early enough that I think your problem is a shitton of grinding. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

So, for the people who dislike the purple shoulder pad, these are your three options.

All three of them look pretty cool, but I think the right one's best.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

this is bullshit

that is one of the pettiest redtexts I have ever seen, what the hell

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Valex posted:

I liked the Future Past maps a lot
They were challenging but beatable with a postgame team and their story was pretty good

I appreciate the Future Past maps for having unique conversations with each father/kid pair

dadchats

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Did the special edition somehow sell out already on Amazon, or is it just not out yet? Kinda worried about stock because I won't be able to preorder it for a couple months probably.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Decus posted:

It'll be long gone by a couple months. Best Buy still lets you order it at the moment, but it's best to assume they're taking orders above their stock like they've done consistently in the past with special editions. You're likely already out of luck or, to go even further, were out of luck from the beginning if you were at work on the day of announcement or otherwise unable to instantly try to order.

Oh. I didn't think it'd be that limited. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

jaffyjaffy posted:

Likewise. I wasn't expecting it to sell out EVERYWHERE in like two days. :smithicide:

I've heard that some people are still having luck with preordering at Gamestop, but you have to physically stop in to a store, not do it online.