Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Philosopher King posted:

Quick question guys, can I set structures on fire? I'm holed up in someone else's base and with no way to defend myself from their hospitality other than the torches they left lying around.

Fire is one thing that all free-building games need, yet none have. The day True Fire was patched out of Minecraft was a sorry day.
Alas, this game has no fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

I really want to play multiplayer on this, it's the only reason I bought it, but the game just runs like a piece of poo poo whenever I join a server. I can play by myself and have it run perfectly well but as soon as I join a server it's sluggish and slow and unplayable.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking to join up with whatever goons are playing right now. I'm in the Mumble, but I don't have a mic yet and there doesn't seem to be any notification sound when I type into the chat channel. The server listed in the OP isn't coming up and won't let me connect to it is full. Where are you guys, and how do I get in?

Try joining anyways. It should let you on. Unless we hit the cap again, in which case I need to increase it.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Did you guys go for a server crawl last night? I joined up last night for an hour or two and hunted pubbies with a stack of pipe bombs but had to hop ship for an early morning just as people were starting to suggest joining other servers. :(

vinney here, by the way.

Miasman
Aug 7, 2011

Oh, you!
drat, I wish I'd seen this thread when I was weighing up whether to dip into that flash sale or not.

It's now going to cost me an extra 4 quid. That could have bought me a sandwich.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So i'm going to add a list of the latest supply caches to the PGS thread. Check it if you need supplies/need a place to stash your gear.

Some of them are basically mini-dungeons you have to traverse too. So they'd make good bases. One is infested with zombies that any people entering have to fight their way through to get to the base itself in fact!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Archonex posted:

Try joining anyways. It should let you on. Unless we hit the cap again, in which case I need to increase it.

Yeah, it was at 40/40 players for a solid half hour last night. I would've kept trying, but I got bored and wandered away to play Gnomoria instead. :(

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
We did a little server hopping before I had to log out due to a kopfschmerzen.

It was down to me and one other goon. We found some pubbies doing some building in Gravetown. One was building a concrete shack and another was trying to rebuild an existing building. We killed all the pubbies in the area, and I decided to see if a rocket launcher could blow up a stash and all the loot it contains. It can! Then we set up a bunch of TnT and completely demolished the project structure and the Mayor's office adjacent from it, and wrote RIP in the road between them with some leftover blocks. The fireworks were a thing of beauty.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, it was at 40/40 players for a solid half hour last night. I would've kept trying, but I got bored and wandered away to play Gnomoria instead. :(

It seems the list is bugged and shows servers as full when they are not.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Party Alarm posted:

It seems the list is bugged and shows servers as full when they are not.

To be fair, the server gets pretty active starting around 3PM EST or so. I had to boost it to 40 from 20 because we were running out of slots due to all the pubbies and goons flooding the place.

If I boosted it to 65 with the current bug showing servers as full we'd probably get more people. I may try that for a bit to see how many pubbies we can lure in.

Edit: And it's already working. It's early in the morning, and five minutes after I brought it up as the highest server pop-wise on the list, we have ten people on. :getin:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 2, 2014

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Protip: keep a sharpened stick handy at all times. They never degrade in durability so if all else fails you have at least one useful tool.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Protip: Punching bushes is faster than hitting them with sticks (one swing rather than two)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Momentary power outage knocked the server out right as I left the house. Should be up now.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
PROTIP- If Cpt Swearword wants to build a base with you, he's going to line it with explosives. This is a good thing, as we had a pubby following me around last night, trying to assault goon fort. I would rig each of our meetup locations with TNT buried one block underneath it, in an attempt to kill him. Cars, his forts, even blew up an entire mountaintop.

Was great fun.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Cowboybot posted:

PROTIP- If Cpt Swearword wants to build a base with you, he's going to line it with explosives. This is a good thing, as we had a pubby following me around last night, trying to assault goon fort. I would rig each of our meetup locations with TNT buried one block underneath it, in an attempt to kill him. Cars, his forts, even blew up an entire mountaintop.

Was great fun.

Over the course of this I helped stage an epic drama as the iron-fisted ruler of a group of bandits that our hero Swear had broken away from, the pubbie bought it hook line and sinker and then challenged me to a 1v1 cage match fistfight. And of course accused me of cheating when he inevitably lost twice in a row :devil:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Bought this game on sale (just before vacation time), look forward to playing it. I have that same feeling of first discovering wurm online, and later minecraft. This is gonna be good!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I joined the LLJK server and my spawn point just happened to have a large base already established. It got fortrified into a Bartertown type zone before raiders blew up most of it. The players within then turned into dwarves and tunnelled all the way from the desert to underneath the Spillway Lake.

Also tons of tnt.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

I joined the LLJK server and my spawn point just happened to have a large base already established. It got fortrified into a Bartertown type zone before raiders blew up most of it. The players within then turned into dwarves and tunnelled all the way from the desert to underneath the Spillway Lake.

Also tons of tnt.

Picture doesn't do the tunnel justice; It's a good distance of that size. If a computer part melted, Archonex, blame Ves.

Yeh, Apache got a few pubbies and me together, and we raided that pubbie base so hard, they literally tunneled from the desert to Spillway Lake. Some guy (Ves- somethingorother) ran a massive string of TNT along their escape tunnel, and ripped a massive line over a good quarter of it.

It had to happen, Synth. They were in goonserver, talking about "friendly PVP server" and "cooperation"

I harassed them out the server. That, or they went to bed. v:v:v

I pulled the torches in the tunnel and tossed them, then plugged their lake entrances. Since you can't mine down through water...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hopped into some servers with goons for the first time last night. It was mostly fun. We found one server that had a pretty huge wooden structure that seemed important, so we set about with oil barrerls and rocket launchers, leveling the thing. Through most of that, the lag was so bad from all the entities that people respawning into the area couldn't see anything but people shooting rockets at invisible things. We brought 3 servers to their knees through similar means.

The only real snag was getting accused of being a pubbie a couple times. I don't have a mic yet, so there were a few times when goons would be dropping stacks of items that I thought they were just dropping for anyone, and I'd end up getting blown up because they thought I was stealing them. By the middle of next week, I'll have a mic though, so hopefully that'll no longer be a problem.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Don't worry, that'll still happen once you get a mic. Goons are a paranoid lot.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Oh, an added note:

Next time you're in Mumble, and Mistle is in, as about the Oracle/"Sight Beyond Sight"/Spergdwarf vision thing.

It's a way to weasel out those deep-rooted bedrock-crawling pubbies.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Any of you guys know where I can find a complete list of entity IDs? My girlfriend wants to furniture our kitchen with cupboards...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mistle posted:

Picture doesn't do the tunnel justice; It's a good distance of that size. If a computer part melted, Archonex, blame Ves.

Yeh, Apache got a few pubbies and me together, and we raided that pubbie base so hard, they literally tunneled from the desert to Spillway Lake. Some guy (Ves- somethingorother) ran a massive string of TNT along their escape tunnel, and ripped a massive line over a good quarter of it.

It had to happen, Synth. They were in goonserver, talking about "friendly PVP server" and "cooperation"

I harassed them out the server. That, or they went to bed. v:v:v

I pulled the torches in the tunnel and tossed them, then plugged their lake entrances. Since you can't mine down through water...

I was wondering why my fans kicked in hard. Guess I know the answer now. :v:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just started playing this, so far the crossbow is amazing, oneshot most zombies with headshots and very very easy to make. No mic so will have to take my chances!

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Archonex posted:

I was wondering why my fans kicked in hard. Guess I know the answer now. :v:

Oh god, I can only imagine what we did to that poor guy's server last night, then...

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Enallyniv posted:

Oh god, I can only imagine what we did to that poor guy's server last night, then...

Please tell me all of those arrows on your map are pubbies on the floor above you.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Enallyniv posted:

The best part? He moved the server to a new IP this morning. Before he did this he reverted back to before the explosion, but the cave we dug is still there.

I filled it with TNT again.

The new image he has for the server is our cave filled with TNT. I've blown it up three times. It doesn't quite melt the server now, but he keeps reverting back...to the world with a cave full of TNT.

e: I also stashed TNT in crates all over the lake area. There is some in the wooden house, and some more in the stone castle.

blueblueblue fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 3, 2014

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just bought this and every time I try to start it, it says Failed to Start Game(Unknown Error). Anyone else have this issue?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I just bought this and every time I try to start it, it says Failed to Start Game(Unknown Error). Anyone else have this issue?

I found this bit of advice on the Steam forum for the game after I ran into the same issue and wasn't getting anywhere with any of Steam's official troubleshooting options.

quote:

go to C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die.
in that folder you will see:
Install_32bit.bat
press it and it will install.
now go to C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\Install\32bit
right click on
7DaysToDie.exe and press copy
now go back to C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die and right click on an empty space on the screen and press paste. it will ask you to copy and replace or dont copy. press copy and replace and try your game then.

if youre on a 64 bit machine just change wherever i said 32 to 64

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
So I have a server with 12 2.5ghz cores, 64gb of RAM and a 500M fiber connection. Just setup this game on it. Anyone have any idea how many slots I can setup without worrying about it crashing?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp. I got ganked by a pubby last night on the LLJK server after I ruined his hideout, and he took all my TNT. Sorry guys.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How much TNT? And why were you carrying ALL of it in your hotbar?

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride

bad boys for life posted:

So I have a server with 12 2.5ghz cores, 64gb of RAM and a 500M fiber connection. Just setup this game on it. Anyone have any idea how many slots I can setup without worrying about it crashing?

As many as you want, as long as you realize that each slot will be exploded with TNT as soon as we find it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Regalingualius posted:

I found this bit of advice on the Steam forum for the game after I ran into the same issue and wasn't getting anywhere with any of Steam's official troubleshooting options.

Thanks a lot. Everything seems to be working now. Other than random crashes, but I assume thats the norm?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Well, I had a good run defending my patio from the undead on LLJK, but then the game kinda crashed.

Something tells me it'll be a smouldering crater next time I get on.

Also digging the giant "gently caress You" citadel in the desert.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Cowboybot posted:

As many as you want, as long as you realize that each slot will be exploded with TNT as soon as we find it.

Haha thats the plan, but for some reason its lagging with 10. Im running it on Debian, guess Im going to have to load windows. Its also not saving anyones inventory.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I't doesn't take goons long to find tnt/oil barrels and start exploding everything. When you get 4 or 5 of us, it goes quick. Buildings are demolished, lives are lost. Did you build something awesome? We will find a way to destroy it.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Well server is up and has 10-20 pubbies at a time. Game name is "30m day FF On"

Everyone is playing nicely with eachother and no ones killing anyone else.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Enallyniv posted:

That was fun. Shame the tower never really collapsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

bad boys for life posted:

Everyone is playing nicely with eachother and no ones killing anyone else.
This will not stand.