Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

folgore posted:

I started playing this. Really rough around the edges, etc. etc. but probably the thing that irrationally annoys me most is the zombie sound effect that consists of a high pitched shriek followed by a very obnoxious clicky sound. It seems to play almost constantly whenever there's an enemy around. Fun game though!

That's the spider zombie's noise, and it never fails to creep me out - I assumed the "very obnoxious clicky sound" is his teeth clicking in anticipation of eating you :cry:

The noises the female zombies make also just trigger that part of my brain that says "that ain't right."

Overall I really like how they use sound in the game. I love the one biome that has the baby crying in the background, and the others with the whispering voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

If you're talking about food, I'm pretty sure they changed something in the last patch involving cupboards - they would always spawn at least one item and now they have a chance to spawn nothing.

I'm about two days into a game right now; just been hanging around the desert biome and aside from noticing more bare cupboards, loot seemed pretty much the same to me (set at 100 percent). Between looting the ghost town and that auto/junkyard place I found plenty of guns/ammo and a decent amount of food.

Dumb question, but how the hell do you dig a workable cave/hole into the ground? Comparatively speaking, in Minecraft, if you dig down one block, you get one square block/hole. In this game, I feel like the holes are some odd shape that, no matter how many blocks I dig around them, are always off, and once or twice I've gone in and found I couldn't put ladders on the walls to easily get back out. Is there a pattern or something (say, 2x2 or whatever) that provides more reliable results?

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 14, 2014

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Skandranon posted:

The blocks are, technically, still there in a square-grid fashion. But natural blocks, like dirt and stone, are smoothed out. If you want to have a hole with a completely perfect flat face, you need to either dig 1x3 (this will give a flat face on the 3x side), or dig 1x2 and fill one side in with a manufactured block, like bricks. While it makes digging a little harder, it's much preferable to hills that you MUST jump up and down.

Thanks for this, it was a big help.

If I'm planning on building beyond using reinforced wood, what do I use? I see concrete, reinforced concrete, and cobblestone (and metal trussing). I know the wiki might be outdated on stuff, and they make most of this stuff all sound about the same in durability, but is the main difference here how much weight each can hold? Is there one I should use over another, or does it just come down to availability of materials?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The multiplayer thread is more active and noted this, but it bears mentioning here in case anyone interested doesn't follow it:

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?9027-Developer-Diary&p=116903&viewfull=1#post116903

Alpha 9 likely coming this weekend, as early as tomorrow. This means the addition of randomly generated infinite maps, a new GUI, and more.

Check out the developer blog listed a few posts above, it's added some pictures and descriptions of stuff.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Alpha 9 is out. Some pretty big changes here.

quote:

Official Alpha 9 Release Notes

Added

Added new game map option ‘Random Gen’ which creates a randomly generated world seed based on the name you give the world. The random world generation includes all biomes, a full random sized central city, random in the wild cities, roads, rivers, lakes and random roadside and wilderness locations. Simply select Random Gen as the Game World and the name you give it will be the seed.
Added new sexier data driven ‘M’ map that renders based on where the player has visited with ‘Fog of War’ functionality. The new map shows, current position, cursor position, has waypoint functionality, recenter view to player, track friends on compass, mouse wheel scroll to zoom and left click drag to pan.
Added new biome type wasteland hub with custom spawning definition for random gen cities
Added overhauled most of the GUI including the new belt, backpack, compass, map, freinds list, character screen, loot container and more as well as new gui functionality and Truetype fonts
Added many new locations never before seen that appear only in the randomly generated worlds including, city blocks, movie theaters, several apartment buildings, parking garages, parking lots, new destroyed buildings and giant sewer holes.
Added a Debuff system for sprained, and broken legs that work with a new craftable splint that accelerates the healing time. Legs can also be re-injured more easily while on the mend and the more severe the injury the longer the recovery time.
Added Dysentery Debuff contracted from drinking river or murky water. Dysentery is cured by drinking goldenrod tea or taking antibiotics.
Added new stunned concussion debuff which slows the player down for a few seconds and has a chance to happen with zombie hits.
Added soft shadows to moon and sunlight
Added Simple drowning Debuff system that detects when the player is underwater and displays the icon. Going above water removes the icon. staying underwater for too long causes drowning pain damage and drowning death
Added Underwater visual effects, sound effects & leaving water effects with refract & screen particle effects
Added new tooltip loading screens
Added craftable Cloth jacket, pants, shoes, hat and gloves
Added cotton, cotton growing and cloth recipes from cotton
Added new scrap metal frame, ramp recipes and upgrade path for more fort building options
Added scrap metal inside corner wedges for scrap metal upgrade path
Added outside corners for scrap metal forts
Added recipe for scrap metal inside corner frames
Added Apartment building, Parking Garage, Movie Theater and new destroyed buildings to Navezgane Gravestown
Added eat glass for suicide option
Added empty jars added to inventory when using water, coffee, murky water, yucca juice, and goldenrod tea
Added recipe for adobe tan made from sand or sandstone and cement
Added paper to trash loot
Added cabinet filler pieces and cabinet top plate blocks for counters replacing some of the cabinet loot in the world
Added green plaster wallpaper full blocks
Added, blood bags, blood draw kits and first aid kits to the world. First aid kits heal 50 hit points immediately plus an additional 50 over 10 seconds. It is made from a bandage, grain alcohol, and a blood bag. Blood draw kits can be reused to make blood bags.
Added “gunpowder charge” item & recipe which is made of 9 gunpowder
Added inside corner wedge and wedged corner for oldwood for attics
Added seeds to garbage and backpack loot
Added icons for leg splint, blood bag, blood draw kit, first aid kit, gun powder charge\bottle, cloth hat, cloth pants, cloth jacket, cloth shoes and cloth gloves.
Added slowed movement speed in sand, water and web for player and entities
Added weapon parts to loot lists, reduced chance of finding complete weapons
Added a new water biome sound loop plays on rivers in random gen only
Added Reduced damage from crawling zombies but gave them a chance give the player a sprained leg
Added new blocks creme wall with backsplash block, wood floor with drywall ceiling block
Added city street painted lines
Added random rotation to loot on roads
Added Player placed dirt now grows grass
Added bookcase blocks, textures and recipes to craft them and bookcase loot containers to the world
Added updated english.txt random gen description and new items
Added MovementState to hornet controller to stop error msgs
Added a few pigs to pine forest biome
Added smell debuff code support and buff note: smell blips still show up on the main map
Added upgradable inside and outside wood corners useful for building mitered roof corners
Added scrap Lead to garbage loot
Added recipes for wooden inside and outside corners

Changed

Changed removed old minimap compass and replaced with new sleek minimalist compass that shows player sleeping bag position, set waypoints and tracked friends
Changed Hordes are smaller in general but except every 7th day they are super nasty.
Changed thinned the total amount of loot containers in all world prefabs and moved the best prefabs to harder to reach areas
Changed Drinking river water doesn’t damage your health and you get some stamina now just like drinking pure water, but there is a chance of catching the new Dysentery Debuff from drinking it. Dysentery is cured by drinking goldenrod tea or taking antibiotics. If untreated it becomes advanced dysentery which damages stamina and health which is only curable with antibiotics
Changed credits adding all Kickstarter Backers and made it scroll faster
Changed cupboards to have 0-1 cans of food instead of 0-2
Changed increased amount of food you get from canned Lamb and Chicken
Changed decreased weight of candy tins, hub caps and air filters
Changed slowed crop growth
Changed spiked club recipe to require ingots instead of scrap metal
Changed white flowers are now cotton plants
Changed lowered zombie player damage to work with the new stun system
Changed awnings are made from cloth instead of plant fibers
Changed most all interior house walls are a full block thick improves lighting and enemy pathing
Changed pipe bombs are now made from gunpowder charge instead of gunpowder
Changed TNT now uses loads of gunpowder instead of gunpowder
Changed replaced all plate block and plate block corner thin walls in old houses and ranch houses
Changed new default spectrum (used in plains and Diersville) with magenta sunset and bluer nights
Changed craft time of sandbags from 30 seconds to 5 seconds
Changed all blocks that use the shape of the pine tip are now only 1m height.
Changed backpacks so you have equal chance of finding the items they contain
Changed pistol book so it gates pistol part mold crafting instead of pistol crafting.
Changed removed shotguns from the book so they can be assembled by anyone who has the parts. Molds still require the book to learn how to craft them
Changed Sandbags can be picked up
Changed made both mattresses work as player bedrolls when placed
Changed Fog, Sunlight and Sky in forest
Changed when placing a regular block on the terrain, the terrain now “snaps” to this block
Changed Zombies are no longer slowed by forge or campfire light at night, and never run in dark places during the day
Changed increased chance of clay deposits in earth. Removed chance of getting clay when digging dirt
Changed increased chainsaw wood damage
Changed removed flicker from wall mounted torches
Changed plains terrain grass is a little greener
Changed resources underground so there are only 3 minerals per layer. There is stone and iron ore in every layer. The third mineral changes every twenty layers down starting with coal, then potassium nitrate, then lead, and finally tungsten.
Changed radiated terrain texture, added more loot to cupboards
Changed Added peeling paint and grunge to Diersville houses and white door
Changed reduced cars in Diersville and gravestown for performance
Changed the way chunks are build in background threads to optimize them
Changed scrap metal wall and reinforced scrap metal wall art
Changed dirt grows into grass, grass grows into tallgrass
Changed ramp trussing textures to use new scrap metal textures
Changed redwood cabinets plain on sides and bottom
Changed removed blob shadows on all entities (zombies, animals, players, etc)
Changed Biome intensity fading now also over time
Changed winter biomes have less fog and brighter midday
Changed dirt to sides of burnt forest blocks and burnt forest dirt on the sides of the wasteland blocks
Changed tweaked cupboard loot. Added empty cans and coffee beans are now in the seed group
Changed Reduced decal litter on roads
Changed increased weight of fishing weights from 1 to 4 ounces
Changed cars now only have automotive loot
Changed crafted doors to be unlocked by default
Changed Serverconfig.xml defaults to zombies normal 3
Changed: Moved VAC window to the top

Fixed

Fixed scrap timer not updating when adding more scrap while it’s in progress
Fixed problem that other players HUD text was flashing
Fixed elevator to surface bug
Fixed all backpacks and purses have terrain decoration flag so they don’t clip terrain
Fixed animals should avoid water > 1m deep unless they are forced in via physics somehow.
Fixed player should be push out of ground correctly
Fixed: Gave wasteland scrap metal block terrain decoration flag so it doesn’t float
Fixed drinking from river not being the same as drinking murky water
Fixed the VAC warning dialog
Fixed problem with animated doors on a client and also open/close state of a door can be saved in a prefab
Fixed regression: god mode wasn’t enabled in Cheat mod
Fixed bug where Mouse Sensitivity was not adjustable
Fixed horizon colors flickering a single time when time turns from about 13:50 to 14:10
Fixed Spinning rabbits and deers
Fixed the rotation of the preview of a door before placing is now correct
Fixed loot not spawning the right amount of items
Fixed severe problem that sometimes the collider for a newly placed block wasn’t generated
Fixed: Fat Cop Zombie Vomit Projectile disappears before it hits anything
Fixed old window upgrade path showing wrong model
Fixed old window upgrade path to include scrap metal reinforced version
Fixed window01white to require scrap metal to reach the metal reinforced version
Fixed walking in shallow water plays footsteps from ground below
Fixed playing “fall into water” sound now only if the fall distance is > 1m
Fixed hovering over item in campfire and closing causing item names to stay
Fixed Removed muzzle flash & smoke from crossbow
Fixed problem that client player in a Coop game was not seen by enemies if far away from the server

ServerConfig.xml

Renamed GamePref ShowAllPlayersOnMap to ShowFriendPlayerOnMap
Server config file option “ShowAllPlayersOnMap” has been renamed to “ShowFriendPlayerOnMap”

Known Issues

32 bit Operating Systems can run out of memory sometimes. We’re still optimizing this.
Some users have trouble setting the video to higher resolutions like 1920×1080 or 1920×1200 as the list appears to long. The work around is to use your keyboard up and down arrow to reach these.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, that was my experience so far - I started in a huge wasteland biome that was just rolling hills of rubble. It took way, way longer than I thought it would moving north before I could get out, it was pretty freaky.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Hah, they really upped the zombie spawn rate. Usually once you take out a (non-horde) spawn, nothing new comes for a few in-game hours. I loaded up an older world where I had an established base (and spawning set to "high") and spent 10 minutes trying to clear out the spawns. Even set to "low," it kicks out like two new zombies near you every two minutes or so.

Not sure how I feel about it. I think having constant zombies nearby is kinda silly - previously you had to do a little work to take out a big spawn but then you had some time to explore/loot a POI/build or something, which was a nice balance.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Developer blog has some new stuff on what's coming in 9.2.

-once you clear out an area of zombies/animals, nothing new spawns for five days (you still get daily hordes and anything you attract via noise/whatever outside the current area you cleared); the idea is to allow you breathing room to get stuff built and to force you to explore and not just camp at your base and just snipe animals for food. Also because...

-they're going to make it so every seven days a feral horde spawns and those get bigger each week for seven weeks. I imagine there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be upset over that.

-some fixes to zombie AI pathing, possibly a nail gun (upgrades blocks in one hit, ranged weapon).

Sounds like they want to experiment with not making you having to fight off zombies every few minutes and instead have you build towards making a base suitable for fending off hordes.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

9.2 is out.

-Changed sledgehammer is now gated by the home maintenance book vol II

No more instant :fuckoff: I guess. Thing is, as long as you are diligent about checking PoIs, that book can still be found pretty frequently (it was turning up every two or three days in my last 9.1 game).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Find a desert and dig like mad. Or any shoreline, be it river or lake.

The desert is a good suggestion. Clay also shows up as reddish dirt in the forest and grassland biomes where the ground is raised up (you can also find iron and coal this way). Lastly, check any biome border where there's a river, there are often sections of the river bank that are clay, and you can even see the difference in color between the clay and surrounding sand when you bring up the map.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Alabaster White posted:

The minimap had a radar too, so you could see zombies and animals, the direction they were facing/moving, their alert level, and any smells you were emitting.

To be honest, the only thing I miss on the minimap was seeing your scent radius. It was sort of cheesy being able to see everything around you, and although I thought it was going to be a huge problem I've gotten along quite fine without it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Gonna agree with everyone else, the devs are active and each update adds major stuff. They're also not afraid to change around a lot of poo poo completely just to see how things pan out, for better or worse (it is alpha after all) and they listen to players on a lot of quality of life improvements. I like the fact that the devs pretty much resist everyone's calls for more frequent updates because they insist on releasing stuff when they're satisfied it's ready to go and not just doling out poo poo piecemeal.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Buncha news on Alpha 10, some of it new, some of it previously discussed:

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-10-status-key-giveaway/

quote:

Character Customization
Originally we set out to do just base framework for new characters with a new clothing system. But instead we will be including a character profile creation system. With it you will be able to choose your, sex, skin color, hair color, and morph the face and body to your desire to make the character look like you want. The system will allow us to expand it easily with more hair styles, starting clothing and more. Here’s a sneak peak!

New Wellness System
We’ve added a new Wellness System that can go up and down based upon your eating habits, disease and death. You wellness influences your stamina and health cap and can go from -100 to +100. If you live well you’ll benefit from it with more stamina and health potential. If you live poorly you’ll suffer with less stamina and health.

Improved Buff System
Hunger and Thirst have been reworked and added into our improved Buff system. The system also allows buffs to affect other buffs and buffs can even affect zombies like using a torch to light zombies on fire. Also the broken leg system has been reworked to a more intuitive healing system with a splint icon.

New Zombie Horde System
We developed a new heat map system that tracks how much noise and smells have added up in a zone. Over time the zone will cool down, but if it heats up too fast spider zombies will come and investigate the area. If they find something and start screeching a horde will soon follow. Campfires, forges and dead animal gore also contribute to the heat maps intensity.

New Door System
Our new model door system provides elegant door animations, multistage destruction and upgrades to all player built and intact world doors. Now you know when a door is going to break open with physical model changes, particle effects and impact sounds.

World Destruction Pass
Every structure in the game has been upgraded with boarded windows, cracked windows, broken windows, partially broken doors, locked doors, old blinds and more. The apocalypse just got a ot grittier and a whole lot harder to loot.

Major Optimizations
Major efforts have gone into server performance which should support more players in multiplayer than before. We’ve also given clients the ability to run the game at full, half and quarter resolutions which helps folks with lower end video cards run the game.

Brand new Server Browser
We’ve added a new slicker than snot server browser with a completely overhauled GUI. The new browser spools pages of servers better and has a large row of top buttons providing Stock, Modified, Peer to Peer, Friends. History, Lan and more. The Browser includes a new vertical server stats page with a custom server message and sub header with icon for easily digesting server information. Here’s an early mockup.

Linux Client and Dedi
Yes finally we’re getting dangerously close with the Linux client and dedi barring one show stopper the guys are working on it as we speak.

http://joelhuenink.tumblr.com/ - recent updates include setting zombies on fire with a torch, clothing/armor screenshots, etc.

Unfortunately nothing on mocap for A10 that I could see in all this.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Looks like A10 is coming tomorrow if there are no major problems.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

New release pushed back a day.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

A10 is live

You must start a new game, it won't support old save files.

Patch notes:

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-10-apocalypse-release-is-out/

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The funny thing is A10 is running better overall for me than the last two alphas. You can no longer manually save in the console, but on the other hand the game has not crashed yet, which was a constant thing for me that really sucked rear end (and could only be prevented on my machine by saving every couple of minutes). They fixed the sound, too, so it no longer does that stuttering thing in the ambient noise when I turn.

I guess they also ditched the "x minerals only available above a certain depth" thing from A9. Two days in and I found an exposed hillside with tons of iron, lead, coal and potassium nitrate. I was really needing the last one since I needed to make antibiotics; found a beaker on day one but they removed the potassium nitrate from boulders and I couldn't get a nurse to drop the antibiotics so I was starting to get nervous (of course I killed one that dropped them at the aforementioned hillside).

Anyone experience the "heat map" screamer/horde thing yet? I'm currently set up in one of those new small "townships" with like eight houses; I built a shack on one end and I do my cooking/forging on the other and I haven't seen poo poo yet even with lots of use.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

glug posted:

So does someone have a server currently working?

I keep playing solo, dying before I can get anything close to either finding a house or getting enough material and space away from zombies to try and construct even a nerdpole. I am zombiemeat.

Are you supposed to die repeatedly in the beginning in order to build up your inventory or something? Seems like you keep everything you weren't holding.

You don't have to die repeatedly to make it. The way zombies currently spawn initially, you're going to be hounded until you clear them out of any given area (and they don't respawn for a few days). Try to gather up the materials to make a stone axe - they are available in every biome, grass, sticks and a rock - to use as a temporary weapon/tool, or if you can gather enough material, one of the clubs. Try to pick up a few more sticks and two more grass to make a crossbow and keep an eye out for small rocks, sticks and bird's nests. If you're somewhere where there's cover, sneak around - you gather stuff without being seen or heard if you're careful.

If you start in a wasteland or burned biome, get out ASAP. Just pick a direction and run (if you can figure out where you are on the map, run away from coordinates 0, 0, which is the hub city that is always surrounded by wasteland). If you spawn somewhere and dogs are on you, and you haven't made a weapon yet, yep, you're probably going to die. It happens.

I'm five days into my current game. I started in a burned forest biome, had just enought time to punch out two bits of grass, one stick and picked up a rock before the zombies got near me. I ran for like 4 minutes, crafting what I could along the way. Finally found a forest, road and POI, then settled in and had a battle royale clearing out zombies with my stone axe and crossbow (which I also assembled on the run). I used up all the bandages I had and was popping painkillers left and right, and I also got infected, but that can be dealt with relatively quickly. Once that was all done, I could get to looting buildings.

For real, the first few minutes of a new solo game is now one of the hardest things going on in 7D2D depending on where you spawn and what enemies spawn near you, but once you learn what to do and get some experience playing, it's survivable.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

I think this is pretty lousy, personally. I liked the idea of the game, but I spent all my attempts early on being attacked by zombies materializing out of thin air ten feet away and I didn't even have time to stop and look at my crafting interface or anything and was really, really turned off.

I intend to look at it again closer to release/finish, but the game seems really unfriendly on starting right now. It could use a bit of a softer start/tutorial of some sort.

Have you tried the new alpha yet? I thought they had mostly fixed that, or at least I haven't encountered zombies dropping in within bullshit swinging distance of me yet with this version.

I'll readily concede that the start is perhaps a little too rough right now for new players, but unless you're playing it on insane/all running zombies, it's not impossible. My gripe is how quickly you become untouchable once you get out of that opening scenario - Alpha 9 turned that from like 2-3 game days at most to almost a week, and it still feels too easy. The devs clearly have a lot of balancing and stuff left to do but that's going to be further down the road.

Have you tried just playing it for a while with the zombies turned off? Way back when I first started playing, I died like five times within the first 10 minutes and had no idea what the gently caress I was doing. I spent an hour playing around in the static map just to get used to how the interface and everything worked, and then turned the zombies back on.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

10.1 hotfix out

quote:

Added

Added nails to junk loot
Added green and blue tanktops
Added all colored tank tops to loot lists
Added red denim pants, brown denim pants, and plant fiber plants
Added recipe for plant fiber pants

Changed

Fixed vegetable stew recipe
Changed Burning can now be debuffed by drinking any water or juice
Changed coffee is always drinkable for an energy buff, but now offers negative hydration of -1
Changed torches can no longer be stacked and cannot be placed on a wall by themselves. To place one on a wall, first place a “Torch Holder” on the wall, then right click the torch holder with a torch to upgrade the empty torch holder to one that has a lit torch in it. Punch the lit torch to make the torch holder drop the torch. Torches degrade now when used as a weapon
Changed removed recipe to make the item “coal torch”. The same recipe now makes a regular torch
Changed updated to latest EAC SDK, should fix problems for some users using the launcher on Windows
Changed renamed cloth and leather pants to cloth leg armor and leather leg armor
Changed renamed cloth shirt to cloth chest armor, and leather jacket to cloth chest armor

Fixed

Fixed ammo crate recipe
Fixed poured concrete never dried
Fixed reenabled “saveworld” console command
Fixed “Err” exception spamming the console and corrupting save games
Fixed loading XMLs when clients connect
Fixed server browser not showing details for peer2peer entries
Fixed server browser name filter would add newline on enter
Fixed server browser showing non-feral servers as feral
Fixed exception System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type
Fixed zombies not attacking client players unless they are close to player running server
Fixed antibiotics don’t expire (neither did an entire class of buffs)
Fixed you should be able to drink coffee even if you are full (negative thirst)
Fixed missing SteamAPI leads to exceptions instead of proper ingame error message
Fixed buffs can kill people with friendly fire, like light someone on fire with a torch who is your friend.
Fixed startdedicated.bat makes sure the steam_appid.txt contains the clients AppID
Fixed alt tabbing would cause UI artifacts on player model
Fixed pressing random many times would cause the textures to start offsetting
Fixed joining game through steam was skipping player profile check
Fixed planted trees go invisible after growing
Fixed the Iron armor and scrap armor sets now have their materials and textures working

Known Issues

Changing screen resolution/fullscreen causes weird character texture rendering. Changing clothes of any kind will fix the problem
New Fire debuff icon looks blank
4 new pants have blank icons and need english translations
2 new tank tops have icons and need english translations
Some clients may experience connection problems while playing which can result in the world chunks not drawing and zombies not moving. This can be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting
When loading a previous saved game Weapons can sometimes load rotated incorrectly. This can be fixed by switching hold items
Impact sounds for chainsaws/augers still use bullet impact sounds which is why they are too loud which will be fixed in the next build

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Id like to not cheat if possible just looking for tips on how not to die.

It seems like there is a constant grid of zombies and attacking one attracts others. *even if I could actually do damage.

From one page back, with some alterations:

You're actually kind of right about the grid thing - the way zombies currently spawn initially (X number of zombies in each chunk that loads based on the spawn density in the options), you're going to be hounded until you clear them out of any given area, at which point they won't respawn for like 4 days. Try to gather up the materials to make a stone axe - they are available in every biome, grass, sticks and a rock - to use as a temporary weapon/tool.

1) Punch grass until one drops, put it in the center of the crafting grid to make plant fiber.
2) Pick up a small rock, put it in the center of your grid, make a sharpened rock.
3) Punch some bushes (they're like grass but usually bigger/different looking) to get one stick.
4) Go into the crafting screen and type in "stone axe" and the recipe will come up, craft it with what you made.

If you can gather enough material, make one of the clubs (4 sticks I think? at the very least for basic club, plus another two that can be made with sticks and scrap iron), they've been recently made to have a chance to one-shot a zombie if you hit it in the head.

Try to clear out an area of zombies. Pick an area to make a stand, let them come to you, kite them a bit and melee them (I think two hits in the head with a stone axe should kill them on the default nomad difficulty setting - the fat zombies take twice as many hits). Once you clear out an area it gets a LOT easier to start.

Try to pick up a few more sticks (nine, I think?) and two more grass (make 2 more plant fibers) to make a crossbow and keep an eye out for small rocks, sticks and bird's nests to make bolts (make sharpened rocks, then look up "bolt" on the crafting screen). If you're somewhere where there's cover, sneak around - you gather stuff without being seen or heard if you're careful.

If you start in a wasteland or burned biome, get out ASAP. Just pick a direction and run (if you can figure out where you are on the map, run away from coordinates 0, 0, which is the hub city that is always surrounded by wasteland). If you spawn somewhere and dogs are on you, and you haven't made a weapon yet, yep, you're probably going to die. It happens.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Man, coal and potassium are now really hard to get, since boulders no longer drop them.

I was initially worried by that too, but at least in the forest and plains biomes, you can now find all mineral types above the ground in exposed hillsides again - desert hills don't have that sort of poo poo, right?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Drunk Tomato posted:

Honestly the two simplest changes that I think would make the game more fun and difficult are:

1- Faster walking speed, more unpredictable moving, and lunging for zombies. Maybe add a chance of zombies breaking into a run if they receive damage or if you are really smelly.

2- crossbow needs to be way less powerful or accurate.

As it is, day zombies are just incredibly easy to kite and then sit on a hill and headshot them all day long. I want to be more scared of them, and of leaving my safehouse even during the day.

The good news is, at least for your first point, the devs have hinted at further zombie movement behaviors being possible once they get the motion capture animation in. They've already upped their walking speed in Alpha 9 (or at least for certain zombies).

They could also spawn dogs everywhere :twisted:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

:ssh: I was totally joking about wanting them to spawn more dogs

Tenbux McGee posted:

Have you fought the actual horde, or just snipe individuals all the time? I find the horde to be dangerous even in daylight. If I try standing my ground against them, a crawler or a fat guy inevitably nails me from behind. If that hit stuns me, I'm in deep poo poo even with a lot of wellness.
A handful of zombies isn't a threat, but 50+? Time to run.

Yeah, unless I have a good fortified position to fight from, I don't screw around with hordes. Nine out of ten times I get killed in this game by being sloppy or too cocky fighting larger groups of zombies - I either let one sneak up on me I hadn't noticed or I mistime a weapon swing or some poo poo and the next thing I know, they're all over me.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

New patch is out.

haha gently caress

Changed the forge is now gated by an easy to find book called “Forge Ahead”. So you won’t be able to make a forge until you find this book.

Also (given how rough it can be getting a pot):
Added murky water can now be collected in old empty cans you find everywhere.

Added canned murky water can be boiled on a stick in the campfire. Canned water has a stack limit of one since there is no lid to the container and it is meant for basic survival in the wild with primitive means until a cooking pot can be obtained

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

glug posted:

Finally have a couple of games that have started going good. Weird poo poo happens though. Day 14ish, chilling in my house at night cooking my first batch of concrete and a pile of iron from mining some surface stuff. Hear a few zombies. Head down in the morning and find like 4 spider zombies to kill. Later that day.. I see 50+ zombies just kind of spawn right near my housing area.. and I use half my bolts blowing their heads off. Got 'em down to just a couple of stragglers on the outskirts that weren't aggro, and went inside for the night. Up on the 4th floor roof, afraid to cook anything, just sitting.. and suddenly there are hordes of zombies on the third floor destroying all my poo poo.. dogs, cops, etc. I blow 50 arrows down the trap door into them, but there is still a good swarm.

Am I just way too late in putting up meaningful defenses, and the game normally just decides you're no longer able to hide, or thin out the nearby zombies by about day 15?

Been doing so good.. no dysenttary, prolly have like 150 wellness at this point. Full iron armor. So sad.

Current zombie spawns are map chunk-based. Once you kill a zombie in a chunk, another won't spawn for another four or five days.

But it sounds like two other things may have happened - you got the super horde that spawns every 7 days (actually on the morning of each 8th day at 00:00 hours), and you triggered the new "heat map" zombie spawn. As of this most recent alpha, the game keeps track of certain activity you do (fueling forges/fires, striking things with tools, presence of animal gore chunks, etc.) in each chunk of map loaded in. You can actually see this for yourself by opening the console, typing in debugmenu dm and hitting return, then hitting F8 twice. When you get the "heat" rating in a chunk up to 100%, it rolls over and one or two groups of three spider zombies spawn and walk to where you are. If they detect you, they scream and it summons a 50-zombie horde (at least the one time I did it, I checked in the console to confirm it was 50).

You can definitely set up defenses against hordes, I build the same shack/pit each time I play and haven't had any hordes destroy it yet. To avoid the heat map zombie spawn, do your cooking/forging in another area of the map (like, on the other side of a township or something) and have your actual base somewhere else. It looks like the "heat" goes down over time too the longer you don't do anything in a chunk, so as long as you're not running 5 forges/fires at once, you won't draw them if you go out and leave each day and quit using that stuff.

The zombies on the third floor of your building may just be spawning where they shouldn't be, though.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Figured out what was killing my framerate. I guess the fan slipped off my heatsink to the CPU which was making it overheat. I recently moved and I guess it got knocked loose somehow, but now it runs decently smooth and not the jittery mess it was before.

What is the best place to find cooking pots?

Kitchens (houses and apartment buildings) and campsites are the places I most frequently find them. I see them a lot on top of refrigerators in the taller buildings, especially.

As of the new alpha, I also found one in one of those garbage/dump areas that are part of the new townships.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

glug posted:

Also, when I logged out with a horde of dogs down my ladder and cried here on the forums, everything was despawned when I logged back in. Is that normal? :/

I think one of the devs said that as of A10 hordes weren't supposed to despawn anymore when you quit, but I'm too lazy to look at the A10 patch notes to see if they made it official. So congrats, that's one way to take them out (and was a tried and true method in previous versions). General buginess would also lend credence to how you had your third-story zombie party out of nowhere.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

glug posted:

Oh speaking of which, after I dug through my house to find out the damage.. both doors were intact, there were some blocks broken at ground level but not enough to get through I don't think. Second floor was fine, but blocks were broken on the floor of the third story, and the third story itself was trashed a bit while they pooled up under my shootyhole and took arrows. They also busted out some large windows on the second story, enough to walk through. At this point I assume some spider opened the window and invited everyone up, and they quietly did some surprise party poo poo with a rope ladder. Oh and dogs can fly.

I think there might be something going on with collisions; I had a scout spider zombie teleport from a pit under my base up onto the roof the other day, so that might have happened in your situation too.

FISHMANPET posted:

My current game is the one I've done the best at I think (currently on day 4 or 5) but already I've made a small farm and looted a bunch of weapons and such. I think I've got enough pieces to make molds for shotguns, the hunting rifle, and pistol. Whereas previously a pistol was like gold, now I've actually left some behind because what am I going to do with 5 pistols?

Spare pistols are great early game to scrap for iron when you haven't started mining in earnest yet and you need all you can grab to make your tools and other starter poo poo. It's too bad you can't remove the ammo from them first though.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Does the +1 to max health and stamina actually mean something? I don't see anywhere I can see my maximum health and stamina, other than the bars.

Also, I just discovered I can use the nail gun to build with. I always thought it was just a lovely rapid-fire crossbow.

And do the zombies in the city just keep respawning constantly? I spent 200 bolts there trying to break into a couple of buildings so I could get my loot on and they just kept coming.

1) look on the "character" screen when in your inventory; your wellness level and health is in the lower left corner. I think that's supposed to be you max health/stamina.

2) yep, as of the current alpha zombies in cities constantly respawn.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Meowbot posted:

this game seems pretty cool reading the last couple pages - is it a good game solo or do you need friends for it to be really worth a while?

I've put way, way (way) too much time into this solo and I've had a blast. I think I've played 15 minutes of multiplayer, tops, and I don't really intend to get into it.

That said, there are a lot of people who like the multiplayer, too, and you can do either PvE or PVP.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

Alright, I just made it through my first 7th-night horde, and I want to make sure the lessons I got from that are the right ones:
  1. Landmines are way more trouble than they're worth.
  2. Metal siding is amazing and should be placed on all walls whenever possible.
  3. Explosives are way more trouble than they're worth.
  4. Guns are way more trouble than they're worth.
  5. Abutments or whatever they're called, that thing where you have one line of blocks at the top of a wall hang out to prevent climbing zombies from being dicks, that poo poo's useful.
  6. It's not enough to use abutments on all walls, because they make it extremely difficult to shoot down at the horde of zombies chilling underneath it and whacking at your wall. Every once it a while you need a complete section of wall to jut out, so you can fire back at your own wall, like so:

Basically noisy weapons are bad and every bit of fortification should be able to fire at every other bit of fortification. Is that right? Is that what should be done?

Yep, I think you've got it figured out.

The reinforced metal siding is probably way too good for what it is, I covered my reinforced wood shelter with it and the cop zombies starting in the 14th night horde barely hurt it with their vomit.

Personally the only gun I really feel like I need is the shotgun, it's just too good if you get mobbed and you need zombies (or more likely dogs) dead ASAP. Otherwise it's crossbow 24/7. Pistols and the hunting rifle are for when I'm goofing around.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Anyone got a changelog? My desktop is dead but I'm hoping to get started on my dinky laptoo. It runs From the Depths with hardly any slowdown, it has to be able to run this on minimum graphics.

quote:

Official Alpha 10.4 Release Notes

Added
• Added system where you can now see hair that makes sense to see when wearing hats, helmets still fully cover hair
• Added beverages to coolers
• Added a new place cobblestone sound
• Added damage\upgrade particle effect to steel door and old wooden door
• Added damage stage sound effect to steel door and old wooden door
• Added street_light_02 to towns

Changed
• Changed made kicks by EAC/Steam more robust
• Changed public game is now the default option in the multiplayer game options menu tab
• Changed the Server browser history to no longer show private games and other games which cluttered up the history
• Changed improved player swimming physics
• Changed increased how much cloth repairs clothing
• Changed sped up cobblestone use animation
• Changed hammer is now unlocked in home maintenance book
• Changed all storage crate recipes so they are centered
• Changed output.log to give give more precise information when loading TextureAtlasBlocks fails
• Changed reduced frequency of resource rocks found in biomes
• Changed corn is less frequent in the grasslands
• Blueberries are restricted to sub biomes in the snow biome. (Joel)
• Changed skill books can be stacked to 50
• Changed loot chances in book cases which now drop 0-2 books instead of or 1-3 as well as Shotgun Messiah crates and Working Stiff crates lowered chances for items
• Changed making cobblestone now yields 4 from 1 stone and 1 cement, or 1 destroyed stone
• Changed slowed crop growing speed down
• Changed players take no health damage from food poisoning but more wellness damage
• Changed rotten flesh doesn’t infect you any more
• Changed storage crates are now lockable
• Changed Log prefixing messages with INF (information), WRN (warning), ERR (error), EXC (exception)
• Changed placement of candles to be flat on the ground when placed
• Changed 7th day hordes may be postponed if other hordes are active
• Changed Reintegrated random wandering hordes
• Changed in debug mode when you teleport the player using the coordinates the player is now set to the ground on spawning
• Changed torches to not have burn time any more
• Changed Yucca juice no longer provides any food
• Changed Yucca fruit no longer provides any water. Increased food from 3 to 5
• Changed torch now stores degradation when placed
• Changed Town sizes to be a little smaller [103×103 min to 412×412 max]

Fixed
• Fixed ServerMaxPlayerCount offset by -1 since 10.3 hotfix
• Fixed problem that some blocks like ladder are not visible on Linux computers
• Fixed problem that some corn bottom parts could not be harvested
• Fixed prefab xml static spawners were working in random gen cities when they should not. Cities in random gen are currently handled by biome spawners
• Fixed prefabs set to max in hub 1 would spawn more in the same city block. You should not see 2 of the same special buildings like gun stores close to each other now
• Fixed nref on supply crate spawns
• Changed zombie/animal pathing so it is a projected path onto the terrain, should fix most remaining cases of spinning zombies with a few exceptions that can be fixed on a case by case block item collision basis
• Fixed mis-rotated window in old west building
• Fixed a few bad english entries like cobblestone frame in English.txt
• Fixed one of the missing chunk problems
• Fixed skull cap icon colors
• Fixed problem that removed blocks from blocks.xml caused saved games to corrupt if they were dropped
• Fixed glass appearing opaque blue on one of the commercial doors
• Fixed Sound doubling/networking bug clients would hear an echo of impacts sometimes
• Fixed handling of players with invalid SteamIDs
• Fixed NullRef in ServerBrowser after entering wrong password
• Fixed various barn blocks to the correct material and they don’t drop metal or stone anymore
• Fixed sign_slow and sign_speed_25 signs to face properly in towns
• Fixed null reference error when right clicking while all container windows were closed
• Fixed prefabs sometimes spawning at y position 0 or less causing errors
• Fixed NullRef on shutdown with multiple clients still connected
• Fixed player permanently holding nail in his hand after loading nailgun
• Fixed IndexOutOfBoundsException if player builds terrain higher than 254 meters
• Fixed Pillcases now have medicine loot not book loot
• Fixed NullReferenceException in EntityFallingBlock

Servercnfig.xml
• Fixed setting PersistentCustomCharacters makes server non-stock

Known Issues
• Some rare occurrences of zombies and enemies spinning
• Some buildings will occasional overlap in town hubs
• A very small amount of icons have improper tinting or a missing icon
• Clients may still occasionally see missing world chunks. This can be fixed by quitting and rejoining a server

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

Started a new random map, found an isolated building. Four spider zombies spawned on the first day, all together. We killed them and all was fine for a few hours. Then a hoard spawned at night. We drew them off the place, since it wasn't fortified, and came back at day time and killed everything nearby. Then the second night, two hoards spawned, one after the other and we managed to kill most before running off again. We came back during the day and killed off the rest, making drat sure the area was completely clear of zeds. That night. THREE loving hoards spawned, one after the other and were destroying blocks faster than we could repair them. Right before we ragequit, we were being chased by five loving dogs at once. For contrast, right before this update, I spent aound 20 hours playing solo with another random map, based in the same biome, and nothing even approaching this happened, and I was putting less effort into clearing the area of zombies.

I don't know what the gently caress happened, but I'm pretty sure what DID happen isn't supposed to happen.

From the new patch notes:

quote:

Changed Reintegrated random wandering hordes

Sounds like you did enough to draw the heat map scouts and killed them but then got nailed by random hordes. Although given how things have gone in the past, there's probably something going on to spawn extra hordes at night that shouldn't be happening; I want to say when they introduced the 7th night hordes originally, they screwed up somewhere and the game started spawning a horde every night after the 7th night; maybe that's what's going on here?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

glug posted:

Man.. idkwtf is going on, but I'm even playing a solo game and I get hordes making a beeline during the day for my house, with no heat happening and I'm not even AT the house. Then at night I'll be in there stealthed just loving with organizing my storage, and they're sensing and attacking my house while I'm in the attic. Did something get mad aggressive in the last patch?

Man, I really need to start a new game - I haven't since the new patch dropped - so I can see all this horde stuff people are reporting. The devs reintroduced random hordes (not the 7th night or heat map ones) with the newest patch, so you're probably seeing those. I'm wondering if they have them set to feral by mistake though (if you didn't set them in their options that way).

About the sensing at night thing, I stopped staying in attics long ago for this reason. Even if there was one zombie outside the door downstairs, they always seem to hear me in an attic. You should note that interacting with any chests or your forge (opening/closing them) makes a small amount of noise and zombies can hear it if they're close enough, or at least it did when I played in the last few months.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Streaming a solo game, first day, just for the heck of it: http://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561197990549491

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The devs have stated that the current zombie models are stock, and that they intend to use random gen (based on what they're doing now with player customization) to generate the zombies in some future version. So yeah, they're creepy and we're stuck with them now, but they will be changed down the road.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Can you get paper from books? I've been saving shell casings because I figured it'd be obvious what those were used for, and books because they burn okay, but never thought to hold on to paper.

Similar question: Is tungsten used for ANYTHING in single player?

1) Yes, you can get paper from books - I think you just put the book in the center of the crafting window and it makes 20 paper? When looting I only take books once I start getting ready to make shotgun shells.

2) I think you can make a door and that's it, unless they added something new.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Synnr posted:

Still just the door, and it isn't even as good as a reinforced hardened iron door or whatever its called, the one made with the forged bar things.

Figured as much. I need to start playing again, it's been a month or two since I've really been playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

http://joelhuenink.tumblr.com/

"We’re evaluating Unity 5 to see how much work it will be to get it working, so we tried out some speedtrees, I was running 2560 resolution and getting 60-80 fps with everything maxed, and these trees have 5-10x the polygons our old ones do. Pretty impressive."