Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Powderkeg and I were trying to figure out what was going on last night. The server just kept doing that no-terrain-load thing and then not responding. The "Waiting for server" is just the server not responding again. Sadly we didn't really nail down what was up, but its just the stock game so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
I rebooted it. It's a pretty standard config. Not sure whats going on.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

ianmacdo posted:

It askes me for the password, then I just get a "waiting for server" msg. Have to end the task after 5 minutes.

I tried joining other servers, and they work right away.

I got on very briefly yesterday but am now having the exact same issue, including being able to join other servers ok. From some of the other forums, it seems a common issue but I haven't seen any suggestions for fixes.

edit. restart seems to have done the trick, on now. Hiding in a barn in the night with low supplies, I love it!!

edit 2. and now can't connect to server again, it's very odd.

Inevitablelongshot fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 23, 2014

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Old host now has patch too. Give that a shot..

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Has anyone else noticed hosed-up aiming? I was in a server just a while ago, aiming dead-center mass with a shotgun and it wouldn't connect.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This patch made my FPS go to poo poo. I am definitely going to shelve this for a while. I just can't shake the feeling that things are becoming more complex just for complexity's sake. Like they are trying to go for realism with the wellness system but there are reasons that even the most realistic of shooters are not completely realistic.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

blackguy32 posted:

This patch made my FPS go to poo poo. I am definitely going to shelve this for a while. I just can't shake the feeling that things are becoming more complex just for complexity's sake. Like they are trying to go for realism with the wellness system but there are reasons that even the most realistic of shooters are not completely realistic.

A lot of the complexity is driving the game to a more thoughtful longer term planning type zombie apocalypse simulator, as opposed to minecraft with guns. It went from running around like a maniac picking up everything and being an unkillable murder machine an hour later to taking a few hours to establish yourself with the tools to go scavenging and survive the experience.

I'm having loads of fun setting up a big farm in the middle of town then loving off elsewhere until my goldenrod and coffee are mature.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Molothecat posted:

Has anyone else noticed hosed-up aiming? I was in a server just a while ago, aiming dead-center mass with a shotgun and it wouldn't connect.

Was it a Sawed-Off? Those things are poo poo and I find myself somehow missing even with the barrel literally jammed into the zombie.

Eat your heart out, Dark Souls.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Alabaster White posted:

Was it a Sawed-Off? Those things are poo poo and I find myself somehow missing even with the barrel literally jammed into the

Nope. Full-length. Iron-sighted in.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Seems like this server hasn't been updated yet or something.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The funny thing is A10 is running better overall for me than the last two alphas. You can no longer manually save in the console, but on the other hand the game has not crashed yet, which was a constant thing for me that really sucked rear end (and could only be prevented on my machine by saving every couple of minutes). They fixed the sound, too, so it no longer does that stuttering thing in the ambient noise when I turn.

I guess they also ditched the "x minerals only available above a certain depth" thing from A9. Two days in and I found an exposed hillside with tons of iron, lead, coal and potassium nitrate. I was really needing the last one since I needed to make antibiotics; found a beaker on day one but they removed the potassium nitrate from boulders and I couldn't get a nurse to drop the antibiotics so I was starting to get nervous (of course I killed one that dropped them at the aforementioned hillside).

Anyone experience the "heat map" screamer/horde thing yet? I'm currently set up in one of those new small "townships" with like eight houses; I built a shack on one end and I do my cooking/forging on the other and I haven't seen poo poo yet even with lots of use.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Bruteman posted:

Anyone experience the "heat map" screamer/horde thing yet? I'm currently set up in one of those new small "townships" with like eight houses; I built a shack on one end and I do my cooking/forging on the other and I haven't seen poo poo yet even with lots of use.

My friend built his forge and campfire next to his newbie shitbox and a horde wrecked all his poo poo by day 3.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Zombies killing animals makes more zombie hordes poke around the rotting guts on the ground. Or so it would appear in the few times I've spawned in the icy north and stumbled across it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Try using the heatmap to funnel in zombie attacks to bottleneck them. Clear out a town, light up the border and scatter a few traps around the place then have your forges and campfires all in one corner of town, surrounded by more traps with your bed and a stash at the far end. It's amazing how well you can thin out a horde using a few spiked trenches and a barbed club early on.

Has anyone figured out how to adjust time scaling and night percentage without the ingame clock glitching or zombies doing that 3 step run/stagger shuffle thing during daylight?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

The character creator is amazing if you want to make a guy wearing a human skin mask with a great set of tits.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Wonder if this has anything to do with the servers:

quote:

Alpha 10 - 32 bit download fix
Hey Survivalists,
we corrected an error on the backend that was causing 32bit users to get the 64bit version of the game. We thank you for your patience and will continue to work hard fixing the worst A10 bugs.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Bruteman posted:

I built my bases entrance underwater in a pond with the furnace right at the door. I left it running and came back to a horde all in the pond and another trying to dig down to it.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

PowderKeg posted:

Wonder if this has anything to do with the servers:

It was. It would cause a bunch of problems. There was a workaround where you could verify the games files through steam or having the server admin delete your character profile.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Kinda weird that the devs decided to give you dozens of options for facial tweaking and weight distribution, but have no options for skin tones or hair styles...

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

Kinda weird that the devs decided to give you dozens of options for facial tweaking and weight distribution, but have no options for skin tones or hair styles...

They say that'll be coming in a future update.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

We did extensive testing, but there are differences between a unity build and a steam build, and the obsfucator often breaks things. And the bigger the build the more bugs.

Your analogy makes no sense regarding early access. You are paying to be part of game development before the game is done, and will also get a finished copy of the game when its done. It's pre-order with a sneak peak at the current work in progress. Games in development are buggy. It's more like your at the dodge plant driving new prototype vehicles that might blow up, not paying to get your car fixed at a local mechanic or buying a meal. If you don't want to try new stuff that might blow up, wait until the game is done, or play an older version that has been stabilized.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but we changed a lot of big systems in the game engine for this build. It's the last of many huge core updates we've done and one of the bigger ones. So it's bound to have bugs. We are working on a patch to address most all the big stuff and lots of little fixes, and it will hopefully come out tomorrow. But A10 might not be totally sweet for another week or two. Balancing issues, little bugs and all.

From the devs. So hopefully hotfixes tomorrow.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Inevitablelongshot posted:

From the devs. So hopefully hotfixes tomorrow.

Can you provide the link to where this is from? I'm curious to what caused one of the FUN PIMPS to scold someone with a car analogy.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?18897-Honestly-did-you-even-test-A10-before-you-rolled-it-out/

Dev reply is at the end. A lot of entitled crying on them there forums.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
So does someone have a server currently working?

I keep playing solo, dying before I can get anything close to either finding a house or getting enough material and space away from zombies to try and construct even a nerdpole. I am zombiemeat.

Are you supposed to die repeatedly in the beginning in order to build up your inventory or something? Seems like you keep everything you weren't holding.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

glug posted:

I keep playing solo, dying before I can get anything close to either finding a house or getting enough material and space away from zombies to try and construct even a nerdpole. I am zombiemeat.

Are you supposed to die repeatedly in the beginning in order to build up your inventory or something? Seems like you keep everything you weren't holding.

You don't have to die repeatedly to make it. The way zombies currently spawn initially, you're going to be hounded until you clear them out of any given area (and they don't respawn for a few days). Try to gather up the materials to make a stone axe - they are available in every biome, grass, sticks and a rock - to use as a temporary weapon/tool, or if you can gather enough material, one of the clubs. Try to pick up a few more sticks and two more grass to make a crossbow and keep an eye out for small rocks, sticks and bird's nests. If you're somewhere where there's cover, sneak around - you gather stuff without being seen or heard if you're careful.

If you start in a wasteland or burned biome, get out ASAP. Just pick a direction and run (if you can figure out where you are on the map, run away from coordinates 0, 0, which is the hub city that is always surrounded by wasteland). If you spawn somewhere and dogs are on you, and you haven't made a weapon yet, yep, you're probably going to die. It happens.

I'm five days into my current game. I started in a burned forest biome, had just enought time to punch out two bits of grass, one stick and picked up a rock before the zombies got near me. I ran for like 4 minutes, crafting what I could along the way. Finally found a forest, road and POI, then settled in and had a battle royale clearing out zombies with my stone axe and crossbow (which I also assembled on the run). I used up all the bandages I had and was popping painkillers left and right, and I also got infected, but that can be dealt with relatively quickly. Once that was all done, I could get to looting buildings.

For real, the first few minutes of a new solo game is now one of the hardest things going on in 7D2D depending on where you spawn and what enemies spawn near you, but once you learn what to do and get some experience playing, it's survivable.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Bruteman posted:

For real, the first few minutes of a new solo game is now one of the hardest things going on in 7D2D depending on where you spawn and what enemies spawn near you, but once you learn what to do and get some experience playing, it's survivable.

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

glug posted:

We got something running, I don't remember the path. I can give it to you when I am back home. In the mean time you can just ask in CTS mumble in the angry dome channel. We play bad games there and lots of alphas.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bruteman posted:

I think this is pretty lousy, personally. I liked the idea of the game, but I spent all my attempts early on being attacked by zombies materializing out of thin air ten feet away and I didn't even have time to stop and look at my crafting interface or anything and was really, really turned off.

I intend to look at it again closer to release/finish, but the game seems really unfriendly on starting right now. It could use a bit of a softer start/tutorial of some sort.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
FWIW - Moved it to another location. Give it a shot if you feel so inclined. Password LLjk

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

I think this is pretty lousy, personally. I liked the idea of the game, but I spent all my attempts early on being attacked by zombies materializing out of thin air ten feet away and I didn't even have time to stop and look at my crafting interface or anything and was really, really turned off.

I intend to look at it again closer to release/finish, but the game seems really unfriendly on starting right now. It could use a bit of a softer start/tutorial of some sort.

Have you tried the new alpha yet? I thought they had mostly fixed that, or at least I haven't encountered zombies dropping in within bullshit swinging distance of me yet with this version.

I'll readily concede that the start is perhaps a little too rough right now for new players, but unless you're playing it on insane/all running zombies, it's not impossible. My gripe is how quickly you become untouchable once you get out of that opening scenario - Alpha 9 turned that from like 2-3 game days at most to almost a week, and it still feels too easy. The devs clearly have a lot of balancing and stuff left to do but that's going to be further down the road.

Have you tried just playing it for a while with the zombies turned off? Way back when I first started playing, I died like five times within the first 10 minutes and had no idea what the gently caress I was doing. I spent an hour playing around in the static map just to get used to how the interface and everything worked, and then turned the zombies back on.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bruteman posted:

Have you tried the new alpha yet? I thought they had mostly fixed that, or at least I haven't encountered zombies dropping in within bullshit swinging distance of me yet with this version.

I'll readily concede that the start is perhaps a little too rough right now for new players, but unless you're playing it on insane/all running zombies, it's not impossible. My gripe is how quickly you become untouchable once you get out of that opening scenario - Alpha 9 turned that from like 2-3 game days at most to almost a week, and it still feels too easy. The devs clearly have a lot of balancing and stuff left to do but that's going to be further down the road.

Have you tried just playing it for a while with the zombies turned off? Way back when I first started playing, I died like five times within the first 10 minutes and had no idea what the gently caress I was doing. I spent an hour playing around in the static map just to get used to how the interface and everything worked, and then turned the zombies back on.

Yeah, I definitely need to give it another go. There are just SO MANY cool games out nowadays it's harder to make time for something that didn't grab me right away.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I definitely need to give it another go. There are just SO MANY cool games out nowadays it's harder to make time for something that didn't grab me right away.

Yeah this game at the start isn't forgiving and they don't explain that urban centers are death zones. What a nice doggie

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

BERGfu posted:

What a nice doggie

Top Ten Best Things to experience in 7DTD:
1) Watching an unsuspecting dog do its death flip after a long range xbow headshot.
2) Everything else.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I kinda wish you could pick and choose which zombies to have in the game, or turn them on and off on the fly in game, I originally thought this because I'd like to turn off dogs. but then I thought; nothing but dog zombies.. :black101:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

10.1 hotfix out

quote:

Added

Added nails to junk loot
Added green and blue tanktops
Added all colored tank tops to loot lists
Added red denim pants, brown denim pants, and plant fiber plants
Added recipe for plant fiber pants

Changed

Fixed vegetable stew recipe
Changed Burning can now be debuffed by drinking any water or juice
Changed coffee is always drinkable for an energy buff, but now offers negative hydration of -1
Changed torches can no longer be stacked and cannot be placed on a wall by themselves. To place one on a wall, first place a “Torch Holder” on the wall, then right click the torch holder with a torch to upgrade the empty torch holder to one that has a lit torch in it. Punch the lit torch to make the torch holder drop the torch. Torches degrade now when used as a weapon
Changed removed recipe to make the item “coal torch”. The same recipe now makes a regular torch
Changed updated to latest EAC SDK, should fix problems for some users using the launcher on Windows
Changed renamed cloth and leather pants to cloth leg armor and leather leg armor
Changed renamed cloth shirt to cloth chest armor, and leather jacket to cloth chest armor

Fixed

Fixed ammo crate recipe
Fixed poured concrete never dried
Fixed reenabled “saveworld” console command
Fixed “Err” exception spamming the console and corrupting save games
Fixed loading XMLs when clients connect
Fixed server browser not showing details for peer2peer entries
Fixed server browser name filter would add newline on enter
Fixed server browser showing non-feral servers as feral
Fixed exception System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type
Fixed zombies not attacking client players unless they are close to player running server
Fixed antibiotics don’t expire (neither did an entire class of buffs)
Fixed you should be able to drink coffee even if you are full (negative thirst)
Fixed missing SteamAPI leads to exceptions instead of proper ingame error message
Fixed buffs can kill people with friendly fire, like light someone on fire with a torch who is your friend.
Fixed startdedicated.bat makes sure the steam_appid.txt contains the clients AppID
Fixed alt tabbing would cause UI artifacts on player model
Fixed pressing random many times would cause the textures to start offsetting
Fixed joining game through steam was skipping player profile check
Fixed planted trees go invisible after growing
Fixed the Iron armor and scrap armor sets now have their materials and textures working

Known Issues

Changing screen resolution/fullscreen causes weird character texture rendering. Changing clothes of any kind will fix the problem
New Fire debuff icon looks blank
4 new pants have blank icons and need english translations
2 new tank tops have icons and need english translations
Some clients may experience connection problems while playing which can result in the world chunks not drawing and zombies not moving. This can be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting
When loading a previous saved game Weapons can sometimes load rotated incorrectly. This can be fixed by switching hold items
Impact sounds for chainsaws/augers still use bullet impact sounds which is why they are too loud which will be fixed in the next build

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

PowderKeg posted:

FWIW - Moved it to another location. Give it a shot if you feel so inclined. Password LLjk

That seems to be working ok now. I've set up camp in the small town across the lake from the murderchurch.

Edit. Yea hotfix patch broke it again.

Inevitablelongshot fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 25, 2014

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Server patched (I think). Don't have a way to test it right now.

Nevermind. working on it..

Seems like anytime I patch it, it won't come back up.

PowderKeg fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 25, 2014

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
I keep running into new and creative bugs with this last patch. Stuff like getting thrown randomly into third person view when using iron sights, the map not loading, the fat to make torches glitching and only giving you small amounts.

Past that.. ehhh.. The clothing system is really nifty, running around in leather armor and a football helmet is road warrior as hell, but some of the other changes feel like the devs adding complexity just for the sake of forced difficulty. Torches for instance, requiring boiled fat, refined iron, and an iron pipe, to put a single light in a room, feels like alot. Sure its infinite light, but the number of steps involved in "A stick that is on fire" really shouldn't be very high. Plus I'm still unreasonably upset after losing my 15th century citadel fortress from my 9.3 map :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
OK, so I found the best new bug and it needs to be the new thread title right the gently caress now. Diarrhea is literally a fate worse than death now (and can also kill you) as it constantly damages your wellness and is bugged to tank it below the minimum (30). It can literally bring your permanent stamina/hp to 0. Thankfully dying once resets it to minimum, but holy poo poo. Also, this is from drinking from unclean water once. You have maybe two minutes to live before your entire set of internal organs liquidate and are expelled from your anus.

7 days to diarrhea.