Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I've been playing on the server listed in the OP, trying to construct the Ultimate Horde BaseTM but it's going at a snail's pace because I haven't found a goddamn crucible or schematic in the 40+ days I've been on there. No steel means doing all my mining with an iron pickaxe and a bottleneck on crafting traps and whatnot. Haven't seen anyone on since I've started, but if you have a character on there that has one or can craft one can you help a sister out? Even doing jobs for the traders to open up new ones they just keep sending me in a triangle to one I already know so I'm not getting more chances when inventory restocks :argh: I'm currently dumping all my skill points into intellect so I can eventually craft one but goddamn what a waste.

Base is in the field immediately east of the trader at 2080 E and 480 N, and I've set up shop in the house immediately west of there. There's a fenced-in area under the porch where I put a chest with some various stuff that's open for the taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I've been into the snow biome, mostly spending time in grasslands to work on the base. Got a point in LL and I'm wearing the goggles as well, I think RNGeezus just hates my guts. Never had a problem on any other game with finding one or a schematic, just incredibly unlucky here.

e: VVV lol I've looted every Working Stiff, PnG, CaB, and even Mo Power I've come across, some multiple times. Like I said, the rng is really loving pissed at me rn.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 16, 2022

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Evil Kit posted:

Picked up the game myself when it was on sale. While I had watched a few youtubers I follow play it it took a bit to get around to it but finally gave it a shot and man, it really is fun. It just amazes me how bad the yogs were at actually playing the game though, with how often they'd die or just not eat/drink/heal themselves.

I'm gonna guess there's no guaranteed easy way to find shotgun (or really any gun) parts? Had a pipe shotgun all the way up till past my blood moon (which I survived thanks to the power of BAT) when I finally scrounged one up from a random desert house.

Also any regular goon servers? Wouldn't mind a chance to dip in and play multiplayer though solo is pretty fun so far too.
There's one in the OP that I've been playing on for the last couple of weeks, if you want to jump on there holler and I'll meet up with you, coop is a lot more fun than solo, especially during horde nights.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Evil Kit posted:

oh hell yeah, I had no idea that was still running.
Well I'm on now, check my posts for location.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FPzero posted:

Things I have learned: Do not stop playing during Night 7 even if you've "beaten" the horde that night, and then continue your game. The game doesn't remember you beat the horde for that night and spawns it again.

I'm not happy about basically going through all of my bullets because I ended up doing a double horde on accident. I guess I'd better get looting for the next week, as well as building a much better fort. Tutorials that worked for A19 or earlier such as the video I watched showing a guy do it with just a tower with wooden spikes around it and a bow do not seem to work well any longer, so I need to improvise.
Oof, that's rough.

As far as a horde base goes, it doesn't need to be complicated at all. Zombie AI is such that they want to take the most direct route to you so a catwalk- or hallway-style base works great. Zombies can jump up one block. If they cannot reach you they'll start trying to tear down the building or tunneling into the ground through the path of least resistance. A catwalk 2 blocks off the ground will work fine - put bars a block or two from the end that you can shoot through and upgrade the step as much as possible and that will get you through the first couple of hordes. If they pile up at the bars they'll start knocking each other off so they run around and try again. Put a single hunk of ladder on your end (you can jump up but they can't) and that's all you need. There are some insane builds out there for bases but for your first few you don't have to get fancy. If you're in or near a town that has one of those big round chemical storage tanks, those make fine starting bases. Block off one ladder with something, slap a hatch on the other and just shoot them as they come up the ladder and stall out trying to smash through the hatch. Upgrade the bottom 2 blocks as much as possible around the tank and that will get you through horde night 4 or 5 depending on your settings with no major effort. Keep the hatch repaired between waves and you're golden.

My preferred "I have a lot of time on my hands" base build is just a bigass staircase design, with shotgun turrets triggered by a plate that blasts them into a pit. The pit has stairs for them to climb out of so they don't try and knock the thing down. The walls have blade traps and the floor and staircase of the pit have electric fencing that fucks them up on the way down and back up. The only reason you need to shoot zombies is for XP - the base does all the work. That might appeal to you depending on your playstyle. If you like to melee then a hallway or catwalk with hatches is probably more your speed. Watch Glock9's videos, he does a lot of fun stuff and is pretty entertaining on top of being good at the game. He does all kinds of weird builds, like the Taco Truck where he does a horde every night from the inside of one of those food trailers you see scattered about. It's just a tiny box with one opening but he makes it work.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pmchem posted:

anyone here play the darkness falls mod and have favorite blood moon / horde base designs to share?
Don't play DF but I do have a favored base, the Stairway to Hell. It's basically stairs going down, and then a high wall on one side and a set of blocks going upward on the other (if you're making this for MP you can put the blocks on both sides but if solo you don't want to deal with them coming from two directions). Next to the blocks put a pillar every other one at the same height as the block. On those pillars you'll put turrets, I usually start with the sledge because it continuously punches zombies trying to get to you into the pit. On the stairside interior wall you put blade traps and then some electric fences laid horizontally across the staircase. Shotgun turrets are preferable since they have a tendency to ragdoll zombies into the pit as well. Set up trigger plates on those blocks to activate when stepped on, wired to your turrets. Zombies will try to rush you but between falling off the blocks trying to climb over each other and getting shot/punched into the pit they really don't ever reach you. As they fall off into the pit, they hit the blade traps on the way down (that mulching noise is delightful) and then run into the electric fence trying to go back up. The only reason you need to shoot them is for XP, the base does all of the killing work if you let it. I also build an attached walkway and small room on stilts to store the generator and supplies. The biggest danger is falling off yourself, but generally once you're in position you don't move around much so you're not super likely to fall unless you get panicked by a vulture or cop puke. You can eat Oh Shitz drops during the horde if you're really paranoid and/or level up parkour.

I've built multiple iterations of this base and it works like a charm, even with horde size set to max on a server with 30 people playing. I made one on the goon-run server, I'll grab some screenshots tomorrow and post them so you can see what I'm describing since I'm probably not doing a great job of it :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Stamina is one of the biggest roadblocks early game. Like others said, put at least a point into sexy t-rex to get extra stam. You're also using the sledgehammer which is a stamina hog. Depending on your difficulty settings you may be able to use something else to better effect. A level 1 wooden club does poo poo damage per swing, but if you can swing it 5 or 6 times before running out of stamina it might do more overall damage so experiment with stuff. Pick a melee weapon you like and spec into that for a few levels. Later on you'll do the bulk of your damage with guns, but early game you either won't have a decent gun or be limited on ammo. If you're playing solo also crank up the loot drop rate because default rates are kinda poopy.

The first couple of weeks the gameplay loop generally is: do trader quests until you get the bicycle and new trade route, loot pretty much everything you come across. Unlock the forge and workbench (the chem station and cement mixer are helpful but can be worked around by a lot of looting). You can build a simple horde base or save on resources by repurposing an existing structure - this is usually what I do. You might be able to get by with only constructing a few hatches and frames for 3 or 4 hordes. Then you can get fancy. Death past level 6 creates some XP debt but you won't level down, so if you're infected and can't find honey/antibiotics it's fine to just die.

If you're interested in seeing some gameplay check out Glock9, Neebs Gaming, or Guns Nerds and Steel on YT. Glock does a lot of challenge runs, Neebs' group is generally silly, and GNS plays a lot of overhaul mods and builds really complicated horde bases. You can get good ideas and get a feel for different perks and playstyles. There's also a goon server up and running and I log on fairly regularly if you want to play with another person (and get free poo poo if you're not a purist :v: ).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dalaram posted:

You mean again? I originally bought 7DTD on Xbox, and watched them stop supporting it. If they make me buy it again on console…
No guarantees because capitalism, but here's hoping they just patch it up since if you bought it at launch on PC you can still play it now with no additional money expended. It'd be really crappy of them to require console folks to rebuy after it sat unsupported for years.

Shoutout to FP for having a really good controller scheme on PC. There are plenty of games that claim to have "full controller support" but then in practice they are clunky as poo poo (looking at you, Ark).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A21 drops on Monday, so watch your favorite streamer this weekend to get a peek at the changes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

OgNar posted:

It looks like others got delayed, but Temrekie (GNS) had a early copy for his breakdown videos or something.
Yeah GNS is live on YT.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PowderKeg posted:

I'll get the server running as soon as possible today. Hoping for 7ish EST. Guess I'll just let the in game RNG do its thing since KingGen doesn't support it yet (from what I've read so far..). We'll probably have to wipe in a few weeks anyway due to patches.
Cool, that's the time I get off work so I can run around and bash z's with other goons. I've only played with other people on the goon server once :(

E:

graham cracker posted:

Kinda interested in this, how are you sharing the server info?
It's in the OP, OP.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 12, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PowderKeg posted:

The new in game random map gen is kind of trash. The biomes have no variation or "mix", just four big chunks even after using a long seed name. Anyway, still going here. My upload is slow, but it'll be soon.
That may be what makes it go faster now, instead of a patchwork just says "k, here are the biomes."

I'll say the game certainly looks better, FPS is good and I haven't had any of that weird hitching. Gets dark AF inside a building during a storm though, like pitch black. Neat, but bringing a torch might be mandatory for early exploration until you get a headlamp or find a flashlight. The skill book thing seems fine, plenty in loot and at least all the T1 quests I've done so far have offered a bundle of them as a reward. Also the airdrop had another bundle in it so it's not as horribly grindy as I feared.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PowderKeg posted:

144.48.104.157:26930 password lljk

Hit it.. I'm having EAC issues, but I think that's a local issue

Woo, logging in now!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

Jokes aside, those are no longer in the game.
That's why there are dew collectors now, staberind. You can't just fill up a bunch of jars with murky water (there's plenty of water on the map), the only way to get water is by finding it (murky or clear), buying it, or getting it from your dew collector. Once you drink a drink, it's gone and there's no jar. I also noticed they did away with cans so if you eat canned food then nothing goes into your inventory. Wondering if they changed recipes to accommodate this, didn't oil require cans?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Server just poo poo the bed?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Funpimps hosed something up good on the hotfix they just did, people are basically getting reset to level 1. Powderkeg, you wouldn't happen to have had a backup from before updating the server, would you?
Yeah I'm level 1 all over again on day 42 horde night - except there's no horde? Fuckin' poo poo. Lost all my levels, skills, mags, everything.

e: they hotfixed my rear end :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yep, price of filters has gone up to 2500 and didn't get the option for mags on quest completion. This is what happens when grognards who have nothing else to do are your playtesters. "Wahhh, I've done nothing but play for 4 days straight without getting up to pee and progression is too easy!"

My character and stats all got reset, but I kept all my inventory and quest progression. However, :lol: at trying a T3 with 100 HP/stam.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Being that they nerfed mag drops maybe up the loot to 125 or 150%? I'd rather not have to wait until I'm L50 to get something other than a T2 wooden club and I can't just put points in to craft a better one now.

e: Oh! up land claims to 2 or 3 so we can have either really big or a couple of bases spread out between cities?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 16, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

khy posted:

Land Claims are now defaulted to 3 per person. It's in the LCB tooltip now :)
I thought that was the case but read this in the settings:
<!-- Land claim options -->
<property name="LandClaimCount" value="1" /><!-- Maximum allowed land claims per player. -->

so wasn't sure if the server was doing different stuff or what.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PowderKeg posted:

Oh and I did set a daily maintenance reboot for 5am in case you just can't stop playing into the wee hours of the morning.
Yes, I discovered that firsthand last night :v: Was on my way back home and it reset, then when I logged back on I thought it had eaten my bicycle because I was a ways away from the spot when I got kicked, and the marker wasn't on the map. Took a minute for it to show up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Just FYI Baka and I stuck around for day 49 and we got demos :stonk:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nyaa posted:

I do hate the veterans players for complaining the game is too easy after they mastered everything and the dev makes it even harder for casual/solo/new player to enjoy the game.

Even most overhaul mods are dead set on making everything harder, grindy and less fun.
This goes for every game. "I have no life/job/hobbies and spend 15 hours a day playing this game, it's too easy" So devs change things or make sequels exponentially harder, in some cases making things too difficult and then the same people complain about that and I'm like "this is what you get for bitching the Ultra Hard setting wasn't hard enough you loving assholes! :argh:" I play pretty much any game with difficulty settings at easy or normal, not because I'm bad but with the exception of a few games, "harder" only means "more grindy" or "absolute bullshit." I just want to play and have fun. If I want to smash my tits in a silverware drawer, I'll play a Souls game (I like Souls games but From has a good track record of "hard but fair" where most games haven't figured that last part out).

RandomBlue posted:

There are several settings you can tweak in the server config to make it as easy or as grindy as you like.
I always crank up loot and loot respawn because even after the apocalypse, there would still be so much poo poo everywhere. Or really any game that requires harvesting because I'd rather be fighting and exploring than chopping down goddamn trees.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nyaa posted:

Yeah, scrapping down cobberstone for stone is so much easier and faster than mining it. 100 of those cost like 30 coin and can be break down to 70 stone.
I find mining to be fairly zen, so I generally end up with more stone than I know what to do with. Clay is worse since you're just digging dirt, but it goes fast with a steel shovel. I like the block regen mechanic too - mine a big hole and a couple days later it's reset so you don't have to range further and further for resources unless you want to or need something from a different biome.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, if you loot stuff in the wasteland and do infested quests you can get level 6 stuff pretty easy. I still kind of like the magazines rather than binding the crafting to the skill tree though. I'm not sure how to balance it so that your crafting isn't completely outclassed by what you loot from your levels.
Making it so you can craft a "perfect" L6 once you max out the mags might help. You probably don't want to remove L6's from the loot pool because then there's no point in venturing beyond easy biomes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This rules. Also I really want one of those punchers, would make horde night funny AF.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Did they change the number of quests required to advance to the next tier? Ran some on the goon server last night and I had to do 7 before I got the bicycle. I double-checked against the completed quests to make sure I hadn't miscounted.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nonexistence posted:

Ugh, loaded up to try a21 and as soon as I got to the trader a dog spawned behind me, bit me once, and infected me. No one sells honey or antibiotic, cleared 5 quests and every food or meds POI I saw and nothing, been scouring the forest for hours for tree stumps and there have been so few and none have dropped honey. Just feels like such an unavoidable and unfair death sentence.
Just get killed. If you're under lv6 there's no penalty anyway. Throw down a bedroll and let your face get eaten off. Even if there is an XP penalty it's still easier to work that off than limp around with 3 broken limbs, an infection and a concussion.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Is the goon server running on experimental? Tried to join last night but got told it was a different version and I'm running the latest official.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Might jump back on this weekend then, thanks! I know most folks have dropped off playing again but it's still fun to be running around and come across someone else's base/stuff.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Uh, so I was playing on the goon server and the geometry despawned so I fell under the map and when I quit and reloaded all my stuff was gone. Not on my person, but my entire base, storage, crafting stations and loot. Even my land claim block is gone :( That's a new one.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
If you want to see funny people play DF wrong, Neebs has been doing a series and it's like 81 episodes so far (they're not even close to "beating" it) : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1Uou2DWH7IF9jMLIDmSCIihThf7zWvIy Also Khaine, the creator of the DF mod joins them sometimes to play.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PowderKeg posted:

That's a weird one. Do you want me to start a fresh map?
On one hand I don't want to set anyone still playing back, on the other it was day 47 when it hosed up and I dunno if I want to do that horde with no bullets/meds/horde base lol. If nobody else cares then yeah, a reset would be keen since I'm pretty much starting from scratch anyway :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I haven't played DF but from watching others the mining nodes are still marked on the map. Lead should be blue, coal solid black. They just look like regular rocks until you get underground. Zoom in as much as you can and you should see small colored squares and that's where you throw down a marker and go looking.

e: look in forest biome, coal doesn't spawn at all in the desert

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Locator posted:

I can't really spot them very well at all. In 1440p widescreen the dots on the map are tiny. I've spotted the rusty colored iron nodes and the white nitrate, but no blue, and I have no idea how to tell a solid black 'coal' dot from the thousands of solid block dots that seem to represent the trees? I'll take a look next time for blue dots and hopefully spot one.

I've not run into a mixed ore patch yet, but I'll keep trying. My horde base is based in a giant pit, and it's been at least half iron (I had like 50,000 iron from digging the pit. I'll probably dig the pit deeper so maybe I'll run into something. The nitrate mine I started hasn't had any other resource yet either.
Can you post a screencap of a section of the map?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Not sure what's going on with the goon server, it booted me out Saturday afternoon like normal, but then I tried to log back in yesterday and it told me it was still initializing. I think it might've turned zombie :ohdear:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Locator posted:

I answered my own question by loading up the NYC map that I *thought* I was using, and in that game I almost immediately spotted the Dr. Anna house which doesn't exist in the first game.. so... welp. Start over!
There's no shame in using creative mode to give yourself some of the items you had unless you really dig the early-game grind. Especially DF where it seems that just getting the most basic items requires you to do a lot of grinding.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Just for giggles spun up a new server on a random gen map. Only mod right now is the HUD which is run server side. Nomad difficulty, horde every 5 days, 2XP, 2X loot, drop nothing on death, chunk respawn every 5 days. Airdrop markers on so if you're in a basement and one drops you can find it.

37.10.122.72:26386
Password: LLJK

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bird food bathtub posted:

Playing through on vanilla for the first time ever. Right now I'm holed up in a random house I chose one night when time was running low. When I eventually make a more permanent home is there a way to pick up things like the forge or water gatherers instead of breaking them down? I'd rather not have to buy another purifier and stuff like that.

Flesh Forge posted:

If you have placed a land claim block I'm pretty sure you can still pick up your workbenches, yes.
Correct, you can pick up any workstation with a LCB down. However, in the case of forges, you'll still lose everything you've smelted into it, so if you're going to be making a move then try to get it all out by making iron/steel, cement, shell casings, whatever.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bird food bathtub posted:

That works, neat! Didn't find that detail in wikis or anything. Few more questions. Everything I've read says you just hold down the button and the lockpick action should start. Even holding the tools it does nothing on locked doors. Got one skill point in lockpick but nothing happens. What am I screwing up?

Also some lessons learned the hard way, zombies will use ladders and kill you that way in blood moons. If they do not have ladders they will World War Z ladder-of-zombies themselves up to the second floor and also kill you that way in blood moons. Question I have though is, do zombies dig? If I go full Dwarf Fortress and hollow out a mountain to hide inside will they find another way in besides the front door?
Lockpicks in vanilla (weirdly) do not work on locked doors. Only locked loot containers (chests, safes, ATMs, etc) and police cars.

Zombie pathing in 7DTD is a subject of much discussion and lamentation. Outside of a blood moon, they're pretty dumb and you can get away or sneak up on them. During blood moon though, they always instantly know where you are. It's possible to escape from them if you have a vehicle, but they will still chase after you indefinitely and if/when you stop they will start spawning on your new location. Also if you are running away in a vehicle the game will start spawning vultures to chase you which sucks. Z's have a preference in pathing. Obviously clear, unimpeded shortest-distance is most preferred. They will jump or climb over objects one block high to get to you. After that it's a matter of the path of least resistance. If you are perched 2 blocks high or more or otherwise unreachable then things start to go screwy. The first thing they want to do is get to your altitude so you can put up a stupidly high tower made out of unupgraded blocks with a ladder on it and for the most part they'll ignore the construction and just climb the ladder because climbing is easier in the AI's mind than smashing. If there isn't a clear path to you, then it's smashy time with the weakest materials targeted first. If your fighting position is behind too many hatches or a steel door they're gonna try and find a different way with less HP. This can include destroying any other attached structures, or yes, digging. A subterranean base has to take that into account and still leave a clear opening otherwise they'll dig all the way to hell. Same with inside a mountain. Dirt has 250HP, stone 500 which is the equivalent of plywood or upgraded wood blocks so they'll dig even if you're only upgraded to cobble. If you dig down far enough, you hit bedrock which is impervious to damage. Bedrock bases used to be a thing but with recent changes they don't work as well. Build some steel walls and leave something cobblestone, they're going for the cobble every time. Horde bases are just things designed to exploit the AI. Whether the design is complicated or simple it all comes down to funneling them where you want them, slowing them down so you don't get overwhelmed, and making it strong enough to survive getting beat on long enough for you to kill everything. Then when you get to a high enough level they add demos, which are a hearty "lol gently caress you" to the player because they can blow up and take out even steel fortifications after just a few of them. It's a never-ending arms race between you and the horde. Some people don't like this aspect and turn off BM altogether and make up for it by increasing the size/frequency of wandering hordes to keep it spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Zombies can and do swim, it slows them down. They don't drown of course. You could build a base in/around water and use a sledge turret to knock them off into it. It would take them longer to get back out of the water and approach a fighting position but you'd also want to give them easy egress otherwise they'll treat it like any other obstacle and start pounding on the deck/pier/whatever if they can't get to you. Water also puts you out if you manage to light yourself on fire with a molly or are playing an overhaul mod like DF where demons will shoot fireballs at you.

Mining generates heat, which attracts z's. They shouldn't just spawn in behind you, but don't underestimate just how far they can detect you. If you're mining they might dig down and that's why it seemed one appeared out of nowhere. A good tip is to crouch when mining, it generates less heat. Also if you're like me and find the mining sound annoying it makes it quieter :v: .

For MP it depends on the server settings. Most servers run with the idea that if no one is online, time doesn't advance so people can't just quit out right before a horde and then log back in 15 minutes later to skip it. This also means if you're the only one on the server, fire up your forge and then log off it's not going to process anything until someone is logged on. Zombies are not active if there are no players around to save on memory so if you are across the map from your base then you won't need to worry about them destroying it while you're gone. My server has a setting for max zombies at any one time to keep the game from making GBS threads itself and even if it were full of people in different zones the entire world isn't going to spawn more than a set total number. Hordes orient themselves to players so if someone else was logged on and you weren't they're going to go after the active player, not wander around and destroy random poo poo (though that would kinda be a funny mechanic on a hardcore server).