Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bread Enthusiast posted:

My favorite thing to do with ancient dangers is wait until an empire slave/gold trading group shows up on the map, then crack open that danger. It's completely random what's in there.

If things look particularly bad, run for the imperials, they'll cover you (yeah, you take an Empire rep hit if they die but I'd rather have that than massive casualties).

on the other hand if they get downed and you rescue them you get positive rep! whenever they get off the map anyhow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah that’s just free medical xp bay-bee you’re not even doing any medical crimes you’re just patching them up after Something happened to them outside

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you ever have a downed ally who's badly hurt and not able to move remember that you can administer them some space drugs, give them a few space stimulants and they'll be right as rain just like my momma always said

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mindless posted:

This is my first roll on Naked Brutality runs - usually the non-tribal merchants can take out whatever's in there and will almost always hit a cryosleep casket doing so. If you're lucky you can strip someone of marine armor and synthread clothes, get decent weapons and other goodies mostly for trade this early. Downed Ancients are easy recruits and if you don't have capacity to heal and feed them right now, just put them back on ice. Plus, the tomb usually works great as a starter base. If it all goes to poo poo, that was probably going to happen eventually anyway.

Huh, honestly never did that before, dunno why. But the next time three caravan inexplicably show up in the first season while all I have is my nude rear end and some berries? Yeah, I'm gonna roll straight into Ancient Danger.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Genie vs. Highmate: FIGHT

did you know Highmates can go berserk, the whole ~incapable of violence~ thing is a lie
although to be fair Kendra had a stick

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Inadequately posted:

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that the Mystery Flesh Pit stuff looks cool and fun and is everything I wanted from a horror-themed Rimworld expansion. Also this is just the very first thing previewed so anyone going 'hard pass, maybe if it was a different aesthetic' might want to hold off since there's always a chance that could be the exact next thing they'll show off.

I'm not a tremendous fan of the aesthetic but yeah the actual thing itself is pretty cool, Rimworld more or less asking the old Orion's Arm question "WHAT IF HELL WAS MADE OF CAT?"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Had to take care of a couple of lynx's for a mission and restricted them to a little area with food.
A refugee I was hosting decided to pick a fight with a bear, got seriously hosed up and went through yayo withdrawal while in the hospital. I didn't have any to give him, so he went nuts and had a break specifically to kill my animals.
He killed my three venerated rats and went back to bed... only to get back up right away to kill the lynx pair.

I love this loving game.

Anyone playing multiplayer? The popular mod is largely stable. Only did it for a couple hours but it seems neat. We'd like to control different groups and eventually split to different areas on the map but dunno if that's possible. I guess for now we could make two restricted zones and each only build in one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bread Enthusiast posted:

My favorite thing to do with ancient dangers is wait until an empire slave/gold trading group shows up on the map, then crack open that danger. It's completely random what's in there.

If things look particularly bad, run for the imperials, they'll cover you (yeah, you take an Empire rep hit if they die but I'd rather have that than massive casualties).

interesting to note, on this topic, anybody who blunders into insect nests is fair game, nobody gets mad about this

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Alien spiders are no joke!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Had to take care of a couple of lynx's for a mission and restricted them to a little area with food.
A refugee I was hosting decided to pick a fight with a bear, got seriously hosed up and went through yayo withdrawal while in the hospital. I didn't have any to give him, so he went nuts and had a break specifically to kill my animals.
He killed my three venerated rats and went back to bed... only to get back up right away to kill the lynx pair.

I love this loving game.

Anyone playing multiplayer? The popular mod is largely stable. Only did it for a couple hours but it seems neat. We'd like to control different groups and eventually split to different areas on the map but dunno if that's possible. I guess for now we could make two restricted zones and each only build in one.

You can absolutely do this. Just start a caravan and send them to another map tile and start setting up there. My friend and I just do the basic start and double the colonists and resources and set off to play two parallel games and use the other’s base as a fallback position when it all goes to poo poo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So when did "unpreventable organ decay" show up? Cause i don't remember it, & it seems like phenoxy would be great if it prevented something like that. Now i gotta decide if i want to try and do kidney surgery with a sharp rock or what. You have two, so is it hypothetically possible to ride this out or do i need to do this right now at .01% or what?

On the other hand books are loving rad and i am extremely glad i traded half my steel vein for books. If you don't even have a lab set up yet and someone decides to read a research document for fun it straight up gives you research on that topic as well as recreation. It's not a trivial amount, either. I have two others: one gives bonus recreation, the other gives skills in like animal handling and melee or some weird stuff.

I was afraid buying a pair of turkeys would doom them: this was an extremely poor choice and we're still scrabbling for food. I think they could have survived the heat and the pen marker says my self-tamed cassowary is only eating a small fraction of what's growing. Even worse there are loose panthers dangerously close. I wish I could figure out a way to make the panthers fight whatever might be inside the ancient danger, so I could freeze dry my sick colonist. None of my people have good fighting.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Organ decay is new with 1.5 so there's not much detail on how to react to it yet. No idea if it's going to kill you when it ticks to 100 like an infection.

Books have been generally well-received. I would be leery of trading steel for it though, you end up using a lot and that poo poo is too heavy to caravan much of it.

Turkeys produce eggs but probably not in numbers sufficient for your needs yet. You should turn those cougars into food by baiting them into traps and killing them that way. Also keep an eye out for the remains of their previous kills, if you're fast you can butcher the leftovers for meat.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Man i'm worried about this kidney then. You do have two. But i'm on ironman. gently caress.

For the books, my policy is gonna be get em every chance I can. You can resell into silver at least. A caravan showed up early, before anyone else, and they had some, I had ~3k steel mined out already and was living in the cave hole like wild animals, so gently caress it.

Because i'm on a max temp planet, there is no possibility i can form a normal caravan without what's the best quality dusters or maybe devilstrand. We'd have to baby crawl tile by tile and form emergency shelters step by step in a grueling nightmare. Going outside ever is a guaranteed heatstroke death penalty without protection that I did not start with. How these foreigners do caravans I guess is all handwaving cause you cannot survive more than a few hours exposed. I should've bought out literally all their available foodstuffs instead of most.

As far as food yeah we've been scavenging kills and collecting berries -- this is near polar, wet, so rainforest. There's enough timber to run a powerplant and we should be able to hunker down good enough that before summer comes all the coolers will be online and we can get artificial growlights up. Ideally if there's bugs in the ancient danger I can just bust the wall open and they'll all puke themselves to death from heatstroke maybe? Not worth literally betting the colony on, but it'd be a nice bonus. Until then I plan on making a big round chamber that'll have a central crop and then a hatch work of places we can plant trees. Inefficient but as long as it stays cool enough that plants can grow without being stunted and it doesn't burn down it's good enough.

isndl
May 2, 2012
You know what else needs steel? Coolers and power! :v:

If you have Ideology, it adds some useful tools for dealing with harsh environments: Guaranlen trees can be efficient resource production if you can figure out how to safely prune them in that climate, and fibercorn is a new wood crop that can grow completely indoors (and with basic 50% lighting). Since you're going to be stuck under a mountain most of the time the Undergrounder meme with its associated bonuses is an obvious choice. Biotech gene-modding for heat resistance is also useful but that's more of a lategame thing (and you'll need a lot of steel to make a gene lab). Mechs have no issues with heat but you'll need... more steel.

You could probably have one colonist 'donate' a kidney to the guy about to lose one, if you have the medicine available. Better to get it off a raider if you can though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So when did "unpreventable organ decay" show up? Cause i don't remember it, & it seems like phenoxy would be great if it prevented something like that. Now i gotta decide if i want to try and do kidney surgery with a sharp rock or what. You have two, so is it hypothetically possible to ride this out or do i need to do this right now at .01% or what?
Your pawn should survive kidney organ decay- they have two kidneys after all. When it ticks up it will destroy the organ, but it almost always targets an organ you don't strictly speaking need. (Edit: Actually I don't know if it destroys the organ or kills you, meaning you have to remove the organ. I don't have firsthand experience with it.)

The only type of organ decay that's necessarily fatal is heart organ decay, and apparently that's a very small chance compared to other organs.

Still you should be on the lookout for a replacement kidney. Even if losing a kidney isn't fatal, you pawn will be better off with two.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 27, 2024

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

isndl posted:

You know what else needs steel? Coolers and power! :v:

If you have Ideology, it adds some useful tools for dealing with harsh environments: Guaranlen trees can be efficient resource production if you can figure out how to safely prune them in that climate, and fibercorn is a new wood crop that can grow completely indoors (and with basic 50% lighting). Since you're going to be stuck under a mountain most of the time the Undergrounder meme with its associated bonuses is an obvious choice. Biotech gene-modding for heat resistance is also useful but that's more of a lategame thing (and you'll need a lot of steel to make a gene lab). Mechs have no issues with heat but you'll need... more steel.

You could probably have one colonist 'donate' a kidney to the guy about to lose one, if you have the medicine available. Better to get it off a raider if you can though.

Fibercorn is terrible. It's 2 wood per plant. If you need to rely on it, you are already hosed.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Fibercorn is terrible. It's 2 wood per plant. If you need to rely on it, you are already hosed.

They're already at risk of dying to heatstroke due to global warming, so that might as well be considered already hosed. Fibercorn is pretty lovely in normal circumstances but it's easier to grow than full size trees when you have to use coolers just to get a safe growing temp. It's great for undergrounders that need wood but can't go outside for whatever reason.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE
so this woman also got gut worms and keeps puking on the doctor's wedding and then won't go to the wedding and is starving to death
i don't want to accidentally somehow cancel the wedding by forcing the doctor to treat the gut worms

animals can get food poisoning from eating food cooked by incompetent chefs
my one prisoner, who was at 0.1 resistance, went berserk and punched the pet fox. so the fox (who had walked into his cell and puked all over everything) ripped his toe off. This isn't what got infected, it was a scratch to the leg. These are now extreme scars which will cause lifelong pain and suffering, and produced insane amounts of blood.

I was able to replace all the steel by digging out more, which actually made a super cool sort of organic base layout where i simply tunneled a hallway through into a room that the steel left behind. This intersected a hidden crater zone which would be perfect to be the prisoner recruit's room except that it's lovely half swamp in there so i have to bridge it over. It actually just flawlessly lined up as if i were tacking on bedrooms to the hallway, but I don't think i'm going to do it, it's too far from the main area right now. Instead I'm going to dig out a normal one according to plan next to the fridge, and convert his old cell into the bedroom for the newlyweds and their fox.

There's another steel deposit glommed on to the south, which will be the next entry chamber zone thing, and i'll connect that to the hall when that one's dug out. More panthers have moved in though, so it's becoming increasingly dangerous to go outside. As it gets hotter eventually it'll be too dangerous to leave and the only food for them will be us, i think panthers are one of animals with highest temp tolerance iirc. Three coolers set to 17-19c and one stove are already so much it's overloading the power grid, so i need to double down on logging at the same time.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm traveling for with these next few weeks and crave my computer so I can play the new patch. Cmonnnnn release drat you

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if you do vanilla with out dlc it's pretty similar to what i'd expect the end release to be.

I kinda don't actually like the way the lights work, it's hard to figure out what the hell is going on and what the lighting is going to be, and it doesn't show what things will be like if you have to move them. The light radius looked friggin huge, but that's the extreme longest range where it'll be like 6% lit

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dunno-Lars posted:

It's a renewable resource meant to allow you to still use wood for undergrounders. It's awful compared to trees, but you can't grow trees in a hole in the ground.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I usually wind up just buying the scant wood I need, I could be growing healroot or more mushrooms instead of fibrecorn

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Buying things? lol? I have an unassailable fortress launching corn bombs at my neighbors and you think I'm going to buy poo poo?

No, this silver is to entice fresh Recruits* to take our Aptitude Test** so that they can join our team as a Full Member*** and live in Chemical Bliss**** for the Rest of their Days*****

*Raiders
**Gauntlet of Pain and Horror
***Battle-Slave
****Drug-induced hyper-speed to make them work longer hours, faster
*****Maybe a year or two, unless they have a very useful skill/passion. Less if they have a healthy organ I need.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does this game still cap tech levels by how you start?
I remember the tribal start couldn't get very high in research but I'd really like to play an Ages of Man game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The game never capped research, you would just tech slower from a tribal start.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
The base game does, but as almost always, there is a mod for that. (It's Tech Advancing and it is good.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It doesn't cap them, if you're a tribal society then industrial-spacer tech just costs more to research.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ahh, gotcha. I'd just manually change the research rate while making a custom ideology, then.
Nothing against mods, just don't want to add one more needlessly.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fibercorn can grow at 30% light. Artificial lights provide 50% light. The real benefit of fibercorn is that you don't need sunlamps to grow them indoors.

If you can poke one tile holes in your ceiling and grow trees under them, that will provide natural light and a lot more wood, so if that's an option that's probably the route you should go. It's a strain on your temperature regulation, but it's not too bad.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
When waste packs "dissolve" does the red patch they leave behind correspond to the same amount of waste pack? So if I let one dissolve, then clean it up, I didn't really get rid of anything right?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

LegoMan posted:

When waste packs "dissolve" does the red patch they leave behind correspond to the same amount of waste pack? So if I let one dissolve, then clean it up, I didn't really get rid of anything right?
I'm not sure if it's exactly 1:1 but yeah pretty much. The only ways to handle wastepacks long term (without being a waster sort who gives no fucks about toxic waste) are storing them in your freezer, atomizing them, or just dumping them in some other (ideally remote) tile and pissing off your neighbors. No real downside to the latter, especially if it's some permanently hostile faction anyway. The bonus raids bring you free loot! :pseudo:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eiba posted:

Fibercorn can grow at 30% light. Artificial lights provide 50% light. The real benefit of fibercorn is that you don't need sunlamps to grow them indoors.

If you can poke one tile holes in your ceiling and grow trees under them, that will provide natural light and a lot more wood, so if that's an option that's probably the route you should go. It's a strain on your temperature regulation, but it's not too bad.

yeah you don't even need electric light, they will grow by torchlight (pretty sure at a profit, it's been a while since I did this though)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
VE: Recycling is an interesting take on wastepacks, it's labour intensive but you can separate out wastepacks into, eventually, scant amounts of metals or chemfuel depending on what you prefer. It winds up creating trash, but it's the kind you can burn without loving up the soil around you

It makes wastepack drop quests even more of a no brainer too

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Inadequately posted:

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that the Mystery Flesh Pit stuff looks cool and fun and is everything I wanted from a horror-themed Rimworld expansion. Also this is just the very first thing previewed so anyone going 'hard pass, maybe if it was a different aesthetic' might want to hold off since there's always a chance that could be the exact next thing they'll show off.

Same -- I'm really looking forward to dealing with the Mystery Flesh Pit and lots of the other eldritch horror wreaked by insane or malevolent machine superintelligence(s). I'm not sure whether I'll want to engage with all of the horror in every single game, but I'm definitely looking forward to exploring each Anomaly scenario at least once.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Asimo posted:

I'm not sure if it's exactly 1:1 but yeah pretty much. The only ways to handle wastepacks long term (without being a waster sort who gives no fucks about toxic waste) are storing them in your freezer, atomizing them, or just dumping them in some other (ideally remote) tile and pissing off your neighbors. No real downside to the latter, especially if it's some permanently hostile faction anyway. The bonus raids bring you free loot! :pseudo:

There's also Polux trees, which can roughly deal with one stack of waste at a time per tree at natural outdoor decay speeds. The trick is not getting the tree blown up when a wastepack infestation occurs.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Lysidas posted:

Same -- I'm really looking forward to dealing with the Mystery Flesh Pit and lots of the other eldritch horror wreaked by insane or malevolent machine superintelligence(s). I'm not sure whether I'll want to engage with all of the horror in every single game, but I'm definitely looking forward to exploring each Anomaly scenario at least once.

I’m kind of tempted to try to run a single world as an anthology (by way of mods to put old colonies on pause for a bit? Is that doable?). See if I can have a fresh caravan settlement for each horror, then bring the cast together for the Anomaly wincon sequence. Would probably take some tweaking to keep things at the right pace, but doable?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oh my God.

I didn't realize multiple babies could be born at once.
The entire time since children were introduced I've only seen one kid be born.

Now we have triplets, that's two babies too many!

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Whoa.... I wonder if it follows the real-life 1 in a 1000 chance?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Anyone here ever have a bug that makes your pawns just never hit shots? I dont mean "oh she's level 14 and still only hits x amount of shots" i mean like, even full autoing a wall doesnt do any damage to the wall, it's like every shot just hits the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Some guns have a forced miss radius, that's the case with the minigun in the base game