Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a recommended goon mod list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Siljmonster posted:

Nope.

If you want to experiment, go to most popular mods in Steam (make sure it’s set to a long time period) and check the first few pages. They all should be good in different ways and should work fine

If you have specific questions on if something doing “x” exists, ask - it probably exists but may not be popular.

But we’ve got everything from no-mods true vanilla players with 1000 hours, and 500 mod players with 1000 hours and we all get along because that’s the glory of Rimworld, but we are obviously not going to agree on what’s a “goon list.”

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Siljmonster posted:

i could give you my current modlist.

it's over 200 mods long.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Truly the only required mod itt is Anime Haircuts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

robotsinmyhead posted:

Truly the only required mod itt is Anime Haircuts.

I don't think I could play without prepare carefully.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

jokes posted:

I don't think I could play without prepare carefully.

to be honest i don't think i've ever used prepare carefully. i muck around with it a bit and realize i have no idea how to properly balance my start and go back to just using randomplus to make sure i have a cook and a medic

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Balance? I was supposed to be using it in a balanced manner?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Balance? I was supposed to be using it in a balanced manner?

When I realized you could use prepare carefully to seed certain pawns into different factions, I was super excited.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Prepare carefully is awesome for gimmick runs. I'm doing a solo thing right now where my pawn is a psycho cannibal chilling out in a mountain base waiting for food to come to him.

Totally possible without PC, but who wants to click that many times.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The nice thing about Rimworld is that you can start with 10 pawns with marine armor if you want, it just means the big raids will come sooner.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Has anyone had a problem with pawns sharing a double bed unassigning themselves from it for no apparent reason? Every 2-3 days I notice a particular married couple has negative thoughts from wanting to sleep with each other and one of them (they've both done it) is now assigned to a previously unused bedroom. Neither are having affairs, they've never gone on caravans, and they both have +100 opinions of each other. They aren't restricted to any zone, and I didn't make them go to a medical bed or try to change their sleeping arrangements in any way. I tried uninstalling all the free beds, and then I eventually noticed the guy sleeping on the floor in the storage room. There's another couple in my colony that does this rarely, and two more than I've never seen do it at all, but this one couple splits up like every other day and whines about it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Happens to me too. It seems random.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

The nice thing about Rimworld is that you can start with 10 pawns with marine armor if you want, it just means the big raids will come sooner.

The "unbalanced" part of PC comes from giving your initial pawns high skills and good traits. Even then, I'm not entirely clear on how pawn value is calculated and it might account for that properly.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Has anyone had a problem with pawns sharing a double bed unassigning themselves from it for no apparent reason? Every 2-3 days I notice a particular married couple has negative thoughts from wanting to sleep with each other and one of them (they've both done it) is now assigned to a previously unused bedroom. Neither are having affairs, they've never gone on caravans, and they both have +100 opinions of each other. They aren't restricted to any zone, and I didn't make them go to a medical bed or try to change their sleeping arrangements in any way. I tried uninstalling all the free beds, and then I eventually noticed the guy sleeping on the floor in the storage room. There's another couple in my colony that does this rarely, and two more than I've never seen do it at all, but this one couple splits up like every other day and whines about it.

I've experienced this, but I always thought it was because of caravans, which honestly should be considered a bug. Pawn AI should prioritize sharing a bed with their lover.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you place beds or sleeping spots while out on caravan that'll clear previous sleeping arrangements but they ought to prioritize their shared bed when they get back. Maybe you have some mod using/interfering with beds somewhere?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

HelloSailorSign posted:

When I realized you could use prepare carefully to seed certain pawns into different factions, I was super excited.

It's pretty great, it also shows how deep the pool of names in that I've been playing for 4 years and I've only seen one of the pawns I sent to the wider world once so far. I know there's an option to make them more likely to appear but they were just something to do with old prepare carefully dudes.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Warmachine posted:

The "unbalanced" part of PC comes from giving your initial pawns high skills and good traits. Even then, I'm not entirely clear on how pawn value is calculated and it might account for that properly.

Higher skills/better implants raise the worth of a pawn so I'm guessing it increases the wealth of the colony.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

sorry, didn't mean balance as in "MMMMY BALANCE!!!" so much as "i have no idea how to properly stat out 3 idiots to not burn themselves alive or starve to death". i do care at least a little about not landing with, like, supreme beings, but honestly i just use RandomPlus which lets me set minimum requirements (age range, traits, stats and passion) and it'll roll 1000 at a time to try to get a matching pawn.

also i can't figure out how to change race with prepare carefully, i use Beta-humanoids to add animal-people to all factions (instead of Beast Man Tribes which forces them to be separate tribes)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Starting out you need someone who can build, someone who can grow poo poo, and someone who can research. At least two should be decent doctors, and cooks are helpful for mood, but the current "meta" (such as it is) seems to be shifting to nutrient paste since it's ludicrously efficient and never results in food poisoning (and the mood debuff can be offset by giving people their own rooms.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

current "meta"

:chloe:

ok so i've at least been doing it sorta smart. i've basically been having a Intelligence-Social-Medic pawn, a Shooting-Cooking-Animal pawn, and a Construction-Mining-Planting pawn, and then check out the crash victims and raiders to see if i can snag a dedicated miner and crafter. nice thing is since i've been trying to play in the north/south pole regions i basically have a limitless supply of human flesh mystery meat if worse comes to worst

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I prefer to roleplay as a colonizer/missionary, so I go with the one person who I cheat up to max all stats, give him a charge rifle, then try to use him to drag up the local savages to decent level of civilization. But usually I get too deep into the roleplaying and everyone keeps dying in the sex/drug dungeon.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Syndlig posted:

:chloe:

ok so i've at least been doing it sorta smart. i've basically been having a Intelligence-Social-Medic pawn, a Shooting-Cooking-Animal pawn, and a Construction-Mining-Planting pawn, and then check out the crash victims and raiders to see if i can snag a dedicated miner and crafter. nice thing is since i've been trying to play in the north/south pole regions i basically have a limitless supply of human flesh mystery meat if worse comes to worst

I'd advise having your planter and builder separate; especially in the early game both are going to be extremely busy, and you don't want work on the storage room stopping while the rice gets replanted or vice-versa. That's another point in nutrient paste's favor; it frees up a set of hands for other work.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 21, 2019

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I'd advise having your planter and builder separate; especially in the early game both are going to be extremely busy, and you don't want work on the storage room stopping while the rice gets replanted or vice-versa. That's another point in nutrient paste's favor; it frees up a set of hands for other work.

i actually have yet to find this to be an issue. i prioritize construction over planting, and after the initial crop goes up there's several days between then and the harvest, which gives me plenty of time to get rooms built. my biggest problem is the selfish fuckers want to "sleep". who told you you could sleep?! you can sleep after the bears tear your throat out, until then get back to work!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just always bring a normal person to ensure I don't get hosed by random stuff then randomize the other two.

One guy who is good at fighting/building (7+ each), and isn't incapable of anything.

I got hosed once by having no capable fighters, one person incapable of fighting, and all three died on the second raid.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Desert biomes are great. Right now all of my colonists are huddled together in the freezer, which has been downgraded to a mere "cooler" now that there is a heat wave going. Anytime someone takes a step outdoors, they get floored by heatstroke within seconds.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Syndlig posted:

also i can't figure out how to change race with prepare carefully, i use Beta-humanoids to add animal-people to all factions (instead of Beast Man Tribes which forces them to be separate tribes)

IIRC, go to add pawn, then add from faction, or something like that. This allows you to get various races added to your starting lineup.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I just make sure I have a decent doctor and no pyromaniacs or substance abusers. Everything else is flavour.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Syndlig posted:

Nice find. I didn't know this existed, and on its face I like the implementation better than Beast Man.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

The crops will never see it coming!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Tynan really is an idiot.

isndl
May 2, 2012

cugel posted:

Tell me more about these hemp jukeboxes. :allears:

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Hemp jukeboxes: the unholy child of Gloomyfurniture and Smokeleaf Industry.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

cugel posted:

For what it's worth, it's a grain of antimatter.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

We know

isndl
May 2, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

For what it's worth, it's a grain of antimatter.

You might say it's worth $1277. :v:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Don't you guys read all the descriptions :spergin:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The name is perfectly descriptive. Its a weapon that destroys grain.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Thread got agrarian real quick.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Sillybones posted:

Don't you guys read all the descriptions :spergin:
I... uh... no. Of course I... don't. What kind of hopeless nerd would go out of their way to read descriptions of everything and even check out different quality items to see if it changed beyond an art description? Certainly not me.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Getting an odd glitch with the bubbles mod where my entire colony is "talking" in their sleep. Its like a weird backlog that doesn't happen during the day but just seems to dump 4 bubbles per colonist while they sleep. Checked the social logs and they are all things that happened and they're not telepathic, sadly. It might be because I leave them to their own thing and go do other stuff on my computer, but it looks like strange dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I think that's a result of the bubbles not rendering due to being zoomed out, then when you zoom in, all recent bubbles that would have rendered, but didn't, do so all at once.

Happens to me when I zoom in on a party all the time.