Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

In. The newborn light of the thread shall be forever blotted out by the smog of my prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

crabrock posted:

-----------
Purple Prince…. your story… it had no point. Like, none at all. Why did you write this? A dude stands around and gets scared. some chick is sick and crazy. the dude hears some crunching, and then an alter shits out some strange liquid. he touches it, and then a robot comes and kills him. Why should I care? You’ve told me nothing of their motivations, the stakes, their background or culture. Did Dolan even want to live or was he happy to matyr himself for the princess? did his death save her, or was the robot from a race of evil robots hell bent on killing the princess. who the gently caress knows. I don’t think you know either, which is the worst thing a writer can do, write for no reason and without knowing what he’s writing about.

Would I hit this story over the head with a club and drag it back to my cave:
gently caress no! It is a mentally ill child, and I’m not a god-damned pervert!

--------------------------------------------------------

This critique made me crack the hell up but it was good, thanks.

I think about half to two-thirds of the stuff in there was valid, but a lot of it was me not doing a good enough job of showing that the 'robot' is a Greek warrior with a bit of a technology hike and Dolon gives weird descriptions because he's a caveman who doesn't know what bronze is. The story was meant to be about how Hellenistic culture conquered the ancient world. The 'sci-fi' names are both from Greek mythology, Dolon is from the Iliad, Rhea is a goddess. τιμή means 'honour' in Ancient Greek and was a key value in Greek Myth. I put it in Ancient Greek to emphasise the alien-ness of the Greek. The black liquid is the blood of the earth. But I still failed at writing a good story even taking all that into account.

This Week's Thunderdome: Won't be completed. I have something good but it's half-complete and I'm tired and ill and have other work to do. Might submit it to the fiction farm.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 5, 2014

• Locked thread