Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Internet Webguy posted:

This is accurate when divorced from healthcare.

I wouldn't say it is wrong. That's just how healthcare is supposed to work, though. Of course, for young people the expected value of obtaining healthcare is negative. But at the same time it drastically lowers the variance, which makes life way more predicable and prevents an unexpected financial catastrophe. Healthcare is pretty much just a heap of statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Internet Webguy posted:

This is accurate when divorced from healthcare.

OH! For a second, I sincerely thought the bottom was spelling "you friend of the family." I doubt even Branco would go that far, but you never know...

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

McCoy tackles racial profiling

Didn't even realize this was an edit at first. :golfclap:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

quote:

Political correctness evolves and morphs into new fascistic controls on our language. ZPG (zero populations growth) used to be a politically correct goal. Then it became racist(??!?) and today you just don't hear the phrase.
Like the Religion of Peace.
Labels: Islam, Muslim, Peace, Shia, shiíte, Sunni, Syria, terror, War

Also...

Yaakov Kirschen, "Jerusalem Post" cartoonist, wins Bonei Zion award posted:

Longtime Jerusalem Post cartoonist Yaakov Kirschen, whose daily strip Dry Bones has run in the paper for four decades, won a 2014 Bonei Zion (Builders of Zion) Prize on Monday for his contributions to Israeli culture and the arts.

Kirschen, 76, was born in Brooklyn and contributed to such publications as Cracked and Playboy before making aliya in 1971 and beginning his run writing and illustrating Dry Bones in 1973. According to Nefesh B’Nefesh, a private organization that runs Israel’s immigration operations in North America and conferred the $10,000 prize, Kirschen’s work “has provided a quintessentially Zionist, satirical and unique view of Israel to the world.”

“I can’t think of an honor that I value more,” Kirschen told the PostMonday. The winners, each of whom was awarded the prize for “encapsulat[ ing] the spirit of modern-day Zionism by contributing in a significant way towards the State of Israel” in his or her field, are those who “fulfilled the Haggada’s injunction of ‘next year in Jerusalem,’” Kirschen said. “We are the people who took that seriously and came here and helped to build a society, and therefore, being recognized for what I tried to do for forty years makes me very happy.”

Jerusalem Post columnist and solar energy pioneer Yosef Abramowitz was also recognized by Nefesh B’ Nefesh for his work in the technology sector.

Calling Abramowitz “the founding father of Israel’s $20 billion solar market,” the aliya organization stated that the American immigrant “embodies positive and powerful hasbara (public diplomacy) as his efforts showcase Israel – and by extension the Jewish people – as a compassionate driven provider of renewable energy development for the betterment of the world.”
“It is a great honor to be recognized as a leading ‘technology entrepreneur’ in the Start-Up Nation,” Abramowitz said. “Anglo immigrants play leading roles in the continued building and transformation of the Jewish state. In that spirit, my wife Susan and I are contributing 10 percent of the Bonei Zion Prize for the benefit of refugee relief in Israel.”

“I want to congratulate each of the winners of the Nefesh B’Nefesh Bonei Zion Prize for their remarkable accomplishments and important contributions to the State of Israel,” Nefesh B’Nefesh cofounder and executive director Rabbi Yehoshua Fass said in a statement. “We hope that accentuating the achievements of Anglo olim will serve as a catalyst to inspire others to make aliya as well as highlight the achievements of these olim who are helping to make a difference to our homeland.”

Nefesh B’Nefesh also awarded the Bonei Zion Prize to four other Anglo olim for their contributions to Israel.

Leket Israel founder Joseph Gitler was recognized for his organization’s community and nonprofit achievements distributing discarded food to approximately 140,000 needy people each week. Rabbanit Malke Bina of Matan received the prize for revolutionizing women’s education in Israel. Prof. Jefferey Hausdorff, a professor at Tel Aviv University and Director of the Neurodynamics and Gait Research Laboratory at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, was honored for his contributions to science and medicine. Lt. Nira Lee was awarded for her leadership in the IDF coordinating humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Prof. Shimon Glick of Ben-Gurion University also received the Lifetime Achievement award.

The recipients of the newly launched Bonei Zion Prize were chosen by a committee who selected them out of a pool of over 200 nominated olim.

Each of the award-winners will receive $10,000 in a ceremony in Jerusalem sometime in the next two months.
-->
Labels: award, bonei zion, Dry Bones, dry bones haggadah, jerusalem post, jewish zionism, Jews, nefesh bnefesh

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

$10,000 for drawing like a second grader. :shepicide:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

To be honest I have a feeling they saw that anti-palestine joke comic that someone made that looked like one of his and Israel assumed it was one of his.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The winners, each of whom was awarded the prize for “encapsulat[ ing] the spirit of modern-day Zionism"
That is a damning indictment of modern Zionism if I ever heard one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What really scares me is that Dry Bones beat 200 other nominees.

The mind cannot process something awful enough to lose to Dry Bones. I can imagine a piece of loose leaf paper smeared with poo poo labeled "Palestinians" and that's about it. How can one be worse than Kirschen :psyduck:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

The mind cannot process something awful enough to lose to Dry Bones. I can imagine a piece of loose leaf paper smeared with poo poo labeled "Palestinians" and that's about it. How can one be worse than Kirschen :psyduck:

Yeah, unless it was literally exactly the same as some of the "Burma shave!" edits, what the hell loses to Kirschen in terms of quality?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Jurgan posted:

OH! For a second, I sincerely thought the bottom was spelling "you friend of the family." I doubt even Branco would go that far, but you never know...

Same here, except I'm certain that it's just an unintentional failure of composition. This is the guy who drew the heroes of his cartoons as grumpy one-toothed Hitlery troglodytes for ages. Never forget snaggletooth Hitler.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I will add Two Bulls and Ohman to the index when I get home tonight. If you have a standout 2013 Ohman cartoon to share then it would be appreciated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To be fair, those 200 nominees presumably come from all prize categories, of which there are five. Also, it seems to be a really obscure award, even for a start-up. I imagine it was pretty easy for Kirschen to win in this shallow pool of contestants thanks to political brownie points alone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love the focus on Obama's executive orders because it ignores Bush's "signing statements" which were 10000 times worse.

quote:

The upswing in the use of signing statements during the Reagan administration coincides with the writing by Samuel A. Alito — then a staff attorney in the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel — of a 1986 memorandum making the case for "interpretive signing statements" as a tool to "increase the power of the Executive to shape the law."

Hahah oh well.

Air is lava! posted:

I wouldn't say it is wrong. That's just how healthcare is supposed to work, though. Of course, for young people the expected value of obtaining healthcare is negative. But at the same time it drastically lowers the variance, which makes life way more predicable and prevents an unexpected financial catastrophe. Healthcare is pretty much just a heap of statistics.

Add insurance to the list of things people do not understand with the federal debt and marginal taxes.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 21, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

By Yaakov Kirschen
Age 76

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Vogon Poet posted:

January 21, 2013 (MLK Day)

Ah yes, the "Public employees should also get screwed over like we do! :argh:" maneuver.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

crowfeathers posted:

Tinsley doesn't get a day off from his 80 hour research

At 80 hours a comic, Tinsley is putting in 560 hours of work each week. Take that, federal employees!

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

XyloJW posted:

By Yaakov Kirschen
Age 76

There are PhDs driving taxis, and this man makes a living as an artist. :suicide:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:what:

:catstare:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
We haven't had a lot of Latuffs lately, have we?

First off, he did like three or four threesome/erotic cartoons. Go look for them on his facebook if you want to see them, I guess :shrug:

There's been a flash mob-like thing in Brazil inside malls, and people are racist fucks about it.

"The solution for this prison is privatization!"
"Bah! Just like they did in Maranhão, right?"

Left guy: profits
Right guy: no more profits

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jurgan posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that saw this.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Does anyone have that series of Allie cartoons complaining about unemployment where the numbers keep going down?

Also it seems to me that it's been a while since we got an "oh no my butt" cartoon

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Most terrible cartoons just make me laugh, but this one makes me seethe with rage like very few do. What kind of an rear end in a top hat thinks like this?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Also it seems to me that it's been a while since we got an "oh no my butt" cartoon

USA is one ugly fucker.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess Allie looked at his past unemployment cartoons and realized he had to change the script.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

I remember once I went to an improv show where they serve alcohol to the audience and the tired-looking performers said "Okay, everyone. Throughout the night, we will be asking for suggestions from the audience. Please do not suggest proctologist. We can do proctologist. We've done it a hundred times. You are better than that and you deserve a better show. Suggest literally anything but progtologist, really. Anything. Please." I wondered, even drunk, what kind of audiences they'd been dealing with. now I know. It was a political cartoonists convention.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

I guess Allie looked at his past unemployment cartoons and realized he had to change the script.

Allie seems to be relatively unique among conservative cartoonists in that he actually listens to things the left are saying rather than being hooked up to an Official Talking Points IV and ignoring all other input, and sometimes he addresses them. Granted, he addresses them smugly and disingenuously while clutching at his pearls, or sometimes just with a giant middle finger, but that's a step forward from all the ones that basically make Drudge comments with pictures.

Some other examples that spring to mind are when he responded to people talking about the conservative FOX-News bubble with a tu-quoque, or that more recent one when he responded to people pointing out that conservatives don't actually understand climate change by saying liberals are still giant babies about unimportant poo poo like natural disasters. I realized halfway through typing that how dumb I must sound for praising those cartoons, but at least it shows he's listening.

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

Rorus Raz posted:

I will add Two Bulls and Ohman to the index when I get home tonight. If you have a standout 2013 Ohman cartoon to share then it would be appreciated.

This is pretty much the quintessential Ohman cartoon for 2013.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I remember once I went to an improv show where they serve alcohol to the audience and the tired-looking performers said "Okay, everyone. Throughout the night, we will be asking for suggestions from the audience. Please do not suggest proctologist. We can do proctologist. We've done it a hundred times. You are better than that and you deserve a better show. Suggest literally anything but progtologist, really. Anything. Please." I wondered, even drunk, what kind of audiences they'd been dealing with. now I know. It was a political cartoonists convention.

I was at an improv show just before Christmas where they were doing an improv riff on "It's A Wonderful Life" and asked the audience for a suggestion of a kind of business other than a bank for George to be running. Apparently pretty much every audience they'd done it for had suggested whorehouse.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gently caress you Kirschen you monumental piece of poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The whole superhero storyline is just a fever dream of Winslow as he and the rest of humanity slowly die from the lethal burst of solar radiation. As the cancer devours what's left of his withered frame, he murmurs something about drones and dies.

The next day, Prickly City is replaced with Mallard Fillmore. Nobody notices.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jurgan posted:

I think it might be time for you to take a deep breath and read a different thread for a little. Constant exposure isn't healthy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

loquacius posted:

Allie seems to be relatively unique among conservative cartoonists in that he actually listens to things the left are saying rather than being hooked up to an Official Talking Points IV and ignoring all other input, and sometimes he addresses them. Granted, he addresses them smugly and disingenuously while clutching at his pearls, or sometimes just with a giant middle finger, but that's a step forward from all the ones that basically make Drudge comments with pictures.

Some other examples that spring to mind are when he responded to people talking about the conservative FOX-News bubble with a tu-quoque, or that more recent one when he responded to people pointing out that conservatives don't actually understand climate change by saying liberals are still giant babies about unimportant poo poo like natural disasters. I realized halfway through typing that how dumb I must sound for praising those cartoons, but at least it shows he's listening.

You're giving Allie too much credit. Right wing memes about "class warfare" and "envious Occupy thugs" have fallen flat. Americans are pissed about income inequality and the jobless recovery. So the right wing is starting to shift the rhetoric to "Oh yes, income inequality is an increasing problem and job growth isn't keeping up with Wall Street profits. And it's all Obama's fault." Allie is just on the forefront of the shift.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Allie also isn't the first to make excuses about unemployment going down.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah the new Allie cartoon is alluding to the unemployment figures not counting people who have stopped looking for work. Branco beat him to that by like 4 or 5 days.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's a fair point, since you can't just say that unemployment is going down therefore good, you need to understand the number in the context of what it really means.

Of course, he's also a cheerleader for the party that wants unemployment insurance, food stamps, medicaid, medicare, etc, all to be cut while we're in a recession, so really he can go gently caress himself.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

XyloJW posted:

By Yaakov Kirschen
Age 76

I admit it XyloJW, you had me fooled there for a second.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Does anyone have that series of Allie cartoons complaining about unemployment where the numbers keep going down?

Bonus Allie Bullshit!

Yes, she is/was! A Good Cartoon, Eric!

Gas prices where I live are sitting at an average of $3.23. Thanks, Obama! I'm sure Eric will thank you soon, too!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I know he probably thinks it's compassionate or whatever, but the way that Allie always draws unemployed people as frowning, colorless husks who can't take their eyes off the ground seems kind of dehumanizing to me.

e: And as lovely as GAS PRICES!!! cartoons in general are, I have to give Allie credit in that one for not pretending the $1.80 or whatever gas was at the bottom of the financial crisis before Obama's inauguration was the real, rightful price of gas, or whatever, which tons of conservative cartoonists have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

e: And as lovely as GAS PRICES!!! cartoons in general are, I have to give Allie credit in that one for not pretending the $1.80 or whatever gas was at the bottom of the financial crisis before Obama's inauguration was the real, rightful price of gas, or whatever, which tons of conservative cartoonists have.

Semi-credit for that, sure, but he's still a hacky hack who hacks when it comes to the price of gas.

Poor, plucky oil companies.

• Locked thread