Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Can anyone recommend some French (by nationality, not just language) political cartoonists? Or even hilariously bad ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

Am I looking at that Obama Godzilla right? Is his mouth drawn so his teeth are clenched shut and his tongue is flapping out under his gums?

No those are his big black people lips. Not that that guy is racist or anything.

Am I looking at it right, and he's holding a doctor made out of cigarettes with the lit end towards his mouth?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Who the gently caress wrote this? "Inflame Latino passions," seriously? Here's a better local news article that wasn't passed around the conservative blogosphere:

quote:

Administrators feared the American-flag shirts would enflame the passions of Latino students celebrating the Mexican holiday. Live Oak High had a history of problems between white and Latino students on that day.
Is this a better way to blame students' Latin tempers, for some reason?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

A look at their source map should help clarify this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x88Z5txBc7w

:allears:
Animaniacs were using a map from before 1975 because it had Dahomey on it instead of Benin?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Why are everyone's eyes closed?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

euphronius posted:

That Muir is totally incomprehensible to me. I think it starts going off the rails when there is a simple yes or no question asked and it is responded to with a name.

Who is speaking in the third bubble?
Muir has helpfully stylized the speech bubbles to give his characters distinct and characterful voices.

That is why the darker-colored people have darker speech bubbles. Can't you tell the difference between "dark grey on tan" and "darker grey on tan"?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

What's with the "let's" construction on a lot of those (and other ones I've seen elsewhere)? In English it carries overtones of "this is optional, but if you want to", which is not the tone I think it's supposed to have. Is it a Korean thing?
Does it? As an English speaker, I always thought it was just a polite form of the imperative.

I think there's some aspect where it's become understood as ambiguous rather than simply insincere. For example, "Let's do lunch" used to mean "we should definitely really have lunch together soon." But if you used a less-definite invitation, you sounded insincere; so everyone says "Let's do lunch," and it's understood that it's not really an obligation, just a token farewell that may or may not result in a later meeting. But the reason that that phrase came to be used was how definite it used to be; some other phrase may supplant it as the "really-really" see-you-soon, and then become the new "really-but-not-really" see-you-soon.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sefer posted:

Talk of canceled polices and higher premiums are fairy tales that can be safely buried. AGC.

I'm honestly not even sure what he was going for by making them literal fairy tales, isn't 7oden anti-ACA?
It's like he had an actual idea using Alice in Wonderland imagery and then woke up and put Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee in the queen's rose garden, then couldn't remember how the rest of the dream went and this came out instead.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

loquacius posted:

"I knew this hairstyle was a poor decision!"

Radish posted:

I dunno. Getting your hair caught in machinery is going to result in the top of your head being torn off. It's more horrifying to me than losing a finger.
I heard that during WWII, the British government somehow put pressure on a celebrity to cut her hair, on the grounds that her imitators working in factories were having problems like those depicted here.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Shadowed Bacon posted:

From a couple pages back, but what is that thing? It looks like the spike walls from that Might and Magic game you would kick people into. I had no idea they were real things, what are they used for?
It's a harrow:

They break up the topsoil. Probably important for farming. But they will cut you and maim your cattle.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 5, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Its not what it looks like. Rogers was playing with a group of children, doing a counting game where he's start with 5 fingers up, and count each one off by putting them down. He ended up taking down his thumb, his pinky and so on in that order, until he accidentally ended up doing that with his fingers. He broke down giggling halfway through.
Basically
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eaS3Saqg88

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

loquacius posted:

This is hilariously whiny, but that's pretty much 100% of Branco anyway. Question: why is "Conserva" on a Star-Of-David stick instead of a cross?
Why is Jesus' cross carved out of a single enormous piece of wood?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Super Saiyan Mr. T posted:

I thought at first you'd screwed up typing "friend", then I followed the link and it became magical :allears:

Is that a typo on rhymes-with-buick's part or is it what free republic people call each other?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What does allie think constitutes "dem's attacks on moms"

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Wasn't half the point of Jesus being Crucified that he was surrounded by thieves and liars when he was put up on the cross?

He was supposedly surrounded by "bandits" (often translated as "thieves" but the gospels use a Greek word Romans used to describe insurrectionists and rebels).

So no, not half the point.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mirthless posted:

"I won't get et" -- what does that even loving mean!? What is with the giggling horrorship? Why is Panel 2 so out of context?

"I won't get et" is said by the guy in the movie who wears the toque. He is asking for another character to kill him rather than let him fall into the hands of the space rapist cannibals.

Obviously it made such a profound impact on popular culture that it's sufficient for fourth wall-breaking torso that's not part of any narrative to simply quote this line and humor will be found.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 20, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Act now to receive the Obama's Greatest Gaffes Solid Gold Hits Collection!!
  • Obamacare
  • drones
  • NSA thing
  • getting clowned by little childes
  • Paypal
. . . And many more!!

You forgot that MISSION ACCOMPLISHED mega-gaffe!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Radish posted:

It's also stupid since it's not like the general public can do poo poo about it. When anyone complains about factory farms, there's an entire lobbying group dedicated to pushing the idea that they are liars and hypocrites so the water is muddied. Even if people did care it's not like it's an issue that they could reasonably affect since politicians care about money in their re-election campaign not what animal rights people are concerned with. In the areas where puppy mills are profitable you see similar levels of push back amongst politicians even though the average person finds them repentant.

Also the smug as poo poo "you can't care about ANY animal rights since you eat meat, use medical products to not die, etc :smug:" is as stupid as someone saying "you can't care about ANY slavery or worker abuse since you buy products bought in China, Indonesia, India, etc or eat tomatoes grown in Florida :smug:" The consumer really doesn't affect it that much and boycotts only have so much power and the poorer you are the less ability you have to avoid products that have suffering attached to them.

Yeah you should probably not even try to eat less repugnant poo poo because you're only one person and no one cares. Just keep shoveling those blood- poo poo- and tear-stained meat bricks down your gullet because even though you give a gently caress, that doesn't matter. But you definitely do give a gently caress even though you don't do anything about it.

Maybe we could eat the epileptic inbred puppies as well? I feel like that would basically solve two problems at once.

MoFauxHawk posted:

It's a good anti-hypocrisy cartoon, I'm not sure why you people think it's bad. It's kind of funny and it gets at Americans who pretend they care about animals' well-being. People who feel bad for animals in movies and have no problem eating factory farmed meat are like the not-concerned-with-factory-farming people who post passionately on Facebook about saving animal-sheltered domestic animals. I think it deserves to be pointed out occasionally, and I'm not even a vegetarian. Factory farming isn't even a major issue in our country.

There's a big, weird disconnect in people's heads about domestic (and movie) animals vs. food animals, a lot like the disconnect in people's heads about the suffering and death of people in the U.S. or of specific people in certain stories and the suffering and death of people in the developing world, and cartoons that point this out and are done well are good.

Then it's a bad cartoon, because all it does is juxtapose people showing concern with the welfare of animals with those same people eating meat. If you already believe that the meat industry is unjustifiably inhumane, you see hypocrisy. If you don't already believe that, I guess it's a tiny nudge hoping you think about it a little?

kaschei fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 23, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The real crime in that cartoon is the pun that was cruelly extracted from another joke and crammed into a 2" square cage.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Yeah one too far

kaschei fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 23, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sorry toons thread take this as an apology

kaschei fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 23, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

cafel posted:

So in Lester's cowboy view of the world, the dude would have been able to drop the newspaper, whip out his concealed carry and blast the dude who already had the drop on him? How would a concealed carry have helped in this situation at all?
The victim announced that he wasn't carrying and therefore deserves to be robbed.

Mike Lester thinks that people in favor of gun control should be legally required to post signs outside their houses saying NO GUNS IN HERE so that robbers will know whom to target.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think that comic has a prequel where the elephant rams the fire truck into the hydrant outside an arguably-burning Afghanistan then carefully inundates a not-on-fire Iraq with all of the remaining water in the fire truck.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

And we're sure that this isn't some horrible date rape analogy right?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What is the CL-47 shooting?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It's not even subtle. It's on the level of showing a man marrying a dog — everyone knows that's an anti-gay marriage cartoon. This is equally blatant.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Except it shows a woman who looks remarkably like a celebrity who was in the news the week that strip was written who is notrious for trying to dodge her age.
I don't see what you see, apparently, but even if it were a caricature of someone, that would be as irrelevant as if the person in the hypothetical dog-marrying cartoon was a caricature.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Obama is literally a child.

Well done, Varvel.

His administration is literally a five-year-old.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

pkfan2004 posted:

Why the heck is Obama in there? Is he implying that Obama doesn't know the truth about Benghazi either?
The MSM is a knowing part of the coverup. That is his actual message.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I feel like that would work better as just "KILL THEM ALL :skull: AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT" but then it would be about wars and poo poo because we're monsters on so many levels.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Former General Manager Elgin Baylor, I think:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

That's tricky to demonstrate, since "Progressive" doesn't have a well-defined political or philosophical meaning.

This is fantastic-who is it?

Tim Eagan.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

R. Mute posted:

It's literally the difference between Israeli right wingers and Israeli left wingers. Israeli right wingers say: 'kill 'em and take their land.' Israeli left wingers say: 'Palestinians are humans and the settlements aren't all that good but y'know *starts mumbling, shits in own mouth aaarghlblbhlblbl*'

I seem to remember a semi-political cartoon showing a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde transformation of a liberal Zionist Jew but I can't find it!

Have another Tim Egan I found browsing his site:

A Sadly Missed Opportunity to Reference the Stamp Act Cartoon

edit: And another slightly further back but well worth it

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Did someone say Death by Roller Coaster?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmKLZOAT38

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I don't see where you're getting the "don't focus on reforming capital punishment" idea from at all. He's saying "these are both bad for the same reason and people shouldn't let him skate on matters of such mortal importance."

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Post 9-11 User posted:

The thread can't handle me right now! -All Weathervanes Forever
Apparently we're not the only ones:
http://metro.co.uk/2007/10/17/quebec-bans-weathervane-insult-340128/

quote:

Quebec’s legislature has banned its politicians from using the word ‘weathervane’, on the grounds that it is ‘hurtful’.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Gods, there was so much hosed up poo poo in that time period. For my older sister (1964, I think), the doctors kept the baby from my mom after the birth and told her to give her formula, because it was more sanitary. It's like we were trying to become robots who had no need for intimate contact with other people, right down to the separated beds for married people. It was a horrible, heartless time period in so many ways.
Nestlé is just a poo poo company. They did the same thing in Africa and China. They would pay doctors and nurses to give formula to new mothers so that the mothers would think formula was a healthier or safer alternative. It's neither, especially in places where water is not particularly safe to drink.

edit: I couldn't find any good political cartoons on the subject but here's a bad one and an old Nestlé ad

kaschei fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 11, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm definitely overthinking a Mallard Fillmore parody but... ABVDE?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I will honor this man by using his gravesite as a prop for a political cartoon and misspelling his name.

edit: who reads posts with images in them, my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I like this comic a lot.

• Locked thread