Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Nut Job nonsense aside,since the "Summer Wars" and "Wolf Children" anime films were discussed earlier in this thread, I don't mind saying that "Wolf Children" hit like a laser-guided missile designed to explode my heart. Oh my God. It has loving destroyed me. poo poo. So emotions right now.

Films are always a subjective experience, and of course some viewers had a lukewarm reception to it, but my dissenting opinion is "Wolf Children" hit extremely close to home a number of times, and was a great experience for it. The setting is sort of fairytale/magical realism in modern rural Japan, but even as someone who grew up thousands of miles away from there, the secluded farming community aspect -- right down to the bartering, opinionated neighbors and surly-but-knowledgeable old man -- is pitch-perfect if you're familiar with that kind of environment. The aesthetic is great. Me being obsessed with wolves as a child and involved with conservation as an adult compounded the effect, as well as being able to see both myself and several relatives in the characters (OMG YUKI, I literally collected weird animal parts as a child) broke my heart into pieces. In a good way. Fortunately I don't have any children right now, or I might not have survived to type as much as I have. It's also a coming-of-age story that might resonate particularly well with girls, or if you just want to see a film about being part of a family and all the crazy poo poo that entails. You'll either be entertained for two hours or messed up real hard depending on your emotional investment, though I'm probably in the minority for identifying with so many thematic and visual elements, right down to the drat storm warnings and power outages.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're remotely interested, rent it on Amazon's streaming service and have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Squallege posted:

I got around to watching Wolf Children on today. Way too many feelings in this movie. It doesn't help that I'm also very susceptible to my heart strings being tugged by movies.

:cry::hf::cry:
I'd been wanting to watch it for a while, but finally "treated" myself to Wolf Children (a low-key fairy tale romance, right?) after a tough week. Hooboy.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

To bust up the LEGO chat, I just watched The Croods on Netflix, which I wouldn't have done without the praise from it in this thread. Thanks! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, including visual and world-building aspects apart from the story. The animal designs were delightfully bonkers, and the settings were surreal and GORGEOUS, but I also really liked how the cave people were built and how they moved, and the choices the movie made about depicting their lifestyle, like sleeping in piles and being insanely physical -- surprising but totally logical details. AKA the best kind.

Edit: When they got shoes and it's exactly like when you put shoes on a dog, I'm dead. Jesus.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 8, 2014

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, if folks haven't talked about it in this thread much, I heartily suggest watching The Wolf Children. It's a ghibliesque movie about a woman who falls in love and gives birth to two special children, and the struggle she faces as she raises them. Give the trailer a watch, it's dubbed, though it does contain spoilers(even if they're fairly early on). I loved it, it's up there with some of Ghibli's best in how emotionally affecting it was for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlB-SpDMKI&hd=1

I really wish I could have seen it in the theaters, but the one time it was shown relatively nearby I was out of town. :(

I bought it immediately after I saw it. It's one of those movies where, if it connects with you, it connects HARD. I was a mess from fifteen minutes in to the very end.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

I loved Wolf Children. Seeing the recommendations makes me want to watch it again. :shobon: It's so bittersweet.

I gave this to my mom for her birthday, and she has no idea what in the hell anime is.

• Locked thread