Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I loved Wolf Children. Seeing the recommendations makes me want to watch it again. :shobon: It's so bittersweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Oh and the digimon movie is totally better because it has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXlTRLSBcM

Did I just watch a monster die from a DDOS?

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

my cat is norris posted:

I loved Wolf Children. Seeing the recommendations makes me want to watch it again. :shobon: It's so bittersweet.

I gave this to my mom for her birthday, and she has no idea what in the hell anime is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

don Jaime posted:

Did I just watch a monster die from a DDOS?

OH YES! Our War Game owns bones and Summer Wars does too.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Oh and the digimon movie is totally better because it has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXlTRLSBcM

Ahahaha it's so Summer Wars it hurts!

Terminal DDOS is also much funnier than meaningless fanservice transformations and magical Go (or whatever the gently caress they were playing then).

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Torquemadras posted:

Ahahaha it's so Summer Wars it hurts!

Terminal DDOS is also much funnier than meaningless fanservice transformations and magical Go (or whatever the gently caress they were playing then).

Are you trying to say that Omega/Omnimon isn't a fanservice transformation?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

blackguy32 posted:

I guess this is the thread to post about Akira, which it is the 25th anniversary of the film. Despite it being such an iconic film, I don't think I even watched it until about 2005 or so. I am still lost about much of the film, but I would imagine that most people don't really watch it for its plot, which honestly is pretty lovely.

Akira is definitely an odd film, which, funnily enough, might be the reason why it became such a cult classic in the first place. There really wasn't anything comparable in Western animation back then. The closest equivalent I can think of is Ralph Bakshi's work, but even he had a distinctly different style. It also helped that anime was still mostly unknown at the time. Ghibli's films didn't get Western localizations until the late 90s and most other anime films from the 80s are kind of obscure, so Akira stood out even more.

For what it's worth, I still quite like the film. It reminds me of some of Lynch's work, in that it's less about the story and more about assaulting your senses with nightmarish images. What stays with you are individual sequences; gangs having a battle on motorbikes, toys coming alive or Tetsuo's grotesque transformation. The animation itself is gorgeous, especially on the latest blu-ray release. The city looks stunning and the use of colours is excellent. I have to admit though that the second half drags on a bit and the film as a whole could have benefitted from being 20 minutes shorter. Also, something always bothered me about the way characters' heads looked, though I'm not sure what exactly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shindragon posted:

Shark Tale at least almost had a redeeming quality to it. Keyword ALMOST. Bee movie just makes me want to punch something. Besides if people like me can watch horrible cheesy rear end horror movies and have fun with, you can do the same with animations movies.

Except Felix the cat. The gently caress where they thinking with that movie. :psyduck:

There was a Felix the Cat movie? Do I even want to know more about this?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I thought you were talking about the Fritz the Cat movie, because I can't read. Wasn't that also pretty baffling?

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

chthonic bell posted:

Wasn't that also pretty baffling?

Yes, but it was pretty much the intention.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well that explains why the animation was so bad (besides spending too much money on the CGI felix head for the credit) - it was slated for theatrical release in 1987, but ended up coming to video in 1991.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Robindaybird posted:

Oh god Felix the cat. I think they blew all their budget on that stupid CGI head for the credits, because everything except the music was awful.

I have fond memories of that movie as a kid, because at least it had the cojones to be weird as gently caress. Still remember the turbles (sp?) and the headhunters. Incoherent though it was, at least it was imaginative.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Koramei posted:

Wow that really is just like Summer Wars.

There's a ton of similarities, watching them back to back is pretty interesting. In Summer Wars the possibility of a nuclear missile being fired is mentioned, which I can't see as anything but an outright reference to Our War Game. There's also a sequence in both movies where the villain fucks up digital traffic signs which are a lot alike. I've always loved Our War Game, so watching Summer Wars was a delight. It's one of my favorite movies, and so are The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and the aforementioned Wolf Children. All of these are from the same director and are very good movies. I can't wait to see what he does next.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 27, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

raditts posted:

Basically a balls tripsy rear end movie. It's really hard to even try to think what the hell the plot of that was at all.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

If you can stomach both it and the guy reviewing, here's a video review of it: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/33321-felix-the-cat-the-movie

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
A whole bunch of Filipino kids next door were playing and suddenly they've broken into a perfect rendition of 'Let it Go' from Frozen. they're singing it in unison as they're playing.

I'm getting goosebumps. I think it's their perfect singing of it, but the power of animation man, when it hits, it hits HARD.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 28, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rudoku posted:

Are you trying to say that Omega/Omnimon isn't a fanservice transformation?

Nope, I meant nothing more than I said. I just think DDOS is much funnier than what ultimately caused the downfall of Summer Wars' villain - especially given that they're basically the same device (everybody doing their part).

To compare the quality of the two movies, I'd have to watch the Digimon one first ;)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Samuel Clemens posted:

Akira is definitely an odd film, which, funnily enough, might be the reason why it became such a cult classic in the first place. There really wasn't anything comparable in Western animation back then. The closest equivalent I can think of is Ralph Bakshi's work, but even he had a distinctly different style. It also helped that anime was still mostly unknown at the time. Ghibli's films didn't get Western localizations until the late 90s and most other anime films from the 80s are kind of obscure, so Akira stood out even more.

For what it's worth, I still quite like the film. It reminds me of some of Lynch's work, in that it's less about the story and more about assaulting your senses with nightmarish images. What stays with you are individual sequences; gangs having a battle on motorbikes, toys coming alive or Tetsuo's grotesque transformation. The animation itself is gorgeous, especially on the latest blu-ray release. The city looks stunning and the use of colours is excellent. I have to admit though that the second half drags on a bit and the film as a whole could have benefitted from being 20 minutes shorter. Also, something always bothered me about the way characters' heads looked, though I'm not sure what exactly.

Honestly, the best part of Akira is the time before any of the actual "Akira" stuff starts- not to disparage it. Though, when Tetsuo first breaks out of the lab and is tearing through the streets is an amazing scene, as well.

I can see why you'd read it as you do, but a lot of stuff in Akira is less about being coherent and more about being a jumble of political signifiers. Pretty much everything in Akira correlates to some aspect of late 80's Japanese politics, and the whole apocalyptic vibe of the movie has a lot to do with the impending collapse of Japan's bubble economy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Al-Saqr posted:

A whole bunch of Filipino kids next door were playing and suddenly they've broken into a perfect rendition of 'Let it Go' from Frozen. they're singing it in unison as they're playing.

I'm getting goosebumps. I think it's their perfect singing of it, but the power of animation man, when it hits, it hits HARD.

There was a story here a few days back about rescue workers singing it to a trapped little girl in order to keep her calm. One of the guys seemed embarrassed to know the lyrics and said something about "You know, it's just really catchy..."
:3:

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Has anyone here seen both the French and English versions of Ernest & Celestine? I'm thinking about seeing it at the local arthouse theater this weekend and would rather watch the English version, but want to know if one has a definite advantage over the other.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also, something always bothered me about the way characters' heads looked, though I'm not sure what exactly.

Tetsuo's massive fivehead probably

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Behonkiss posted:

Has anyone here seen both the French and English versions of Ernest & Celestine? I'm thinking about seeing it at the local arthouse theater this weekend and would rather watch the English version, but want to know if one has a definite advantage over the other.

I have only seen it in the original french with subtitles, and have seen a trailer for the English version, and personally I would say I prefer the original french-language version. That aside, the english dub seems like I'd be serviceable. The dubbing seems like it's trying to almost completely ape the original voices rather than a translation with different voices. The cast seems amazing, even if I do have some reservations about Forest Whitaker as Ernest. Personally I believe Forest plays it too gruff, whereas the character would be better served by a Robins Williams type. Basically, for me it comes down to the fact that the french version was how it was made and intended to be, where the English dub is trying to be a close facsimile. But if it was down to me, I'd recommend seeing it no matter what because it is an amazing film irregardless of language, subtitles, or just adequate dubbing. Then again, I may be more tolerant of subtitles due to watching a lot of Anime in my teenage years.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sadly I have to wait until mid-april to see it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I can see why you'd read it as you do, but a lot of stuff in Akira is less about being coherent and more about being a jumble of political signifiers. Pretty much everything in Akira correlates to some aspect of late 80's Japanese politics, and the whole apocalyptic vibe of the movie has a lot to do with the impending collapse of Japan's bubble economy.

That's interesting, thanks. I knew Akira was at least partially inspired by the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but I had no idea the film was so closely interwoven with the Japanese culture of the 80s. In a way this makes its success in the West even more astounding, since most people over here wouldn't have been able to pick up on the subtext.

Do you know what Akira's reputation in Japan is nowadays? It wasn't a commercial success at the time and I heard that it used to be more popular in the US than it was in its home country, but I'm wondering if that has changed over the years.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's interesting, thanks. I knew Akira was at least partially inspired by the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but I had no idea the film was so closely interwoven with the Japanese culture of the 80s. In a way this makes its success in the West even more astounding, since most people over here wouldn't have been able to pick up on the subtext.

Do you know what Akira's reputation in Japan is nowadays? It wasn't a commercial success at the time and I heard that it used to be more popular in the US than it was in its home country, but I'm wondering if that has changed over the years.

From my limited knowledge of Japanese culture, their opinion of anime is similar to people's opinion of comic books in the US. Lots of adults read manga and there are a shitload of genres but most of the stuff that gets animated is in the same kind of 'low art for nerds and children' category that comics in the US fill. Otakus in Japan are pretty much the same relative to society that they are here, namely ill-adjusted, violently misogynistic/bigoted manchildren who post on the Japanese equivalent of 4chan.

Considering they don't exactly have a shortage of sci-fi anime and manga over there there's really no reason that they would revere Akira. Akira is famous because it got a cult following in the US basically.

I don't know what they think of Miyazaki, though.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 29, 2014

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I still love Akira. It was one of the first anime I watched but even today it has a graphic power that captivates me. The combination of the amazing animation, the music (my favorite film score ever) and the peculiarity and boldness of its vision always draws me in. Its anxieties are very much of a specific time and place (which is something I love about it), but the character stuff feels pretty timeless to me. One thing that I'm always especially taken with when I watch it are the incredible backgrounds.

And it's not even as good as the manga. The manga's great.

icantfindaname posted:

From my limited knowledge of Japanese culture, their opinion of anime is similar to people's opinion of comic books in the US. Lots of adults read manga and there are a shitload of genres but most of the stuff that gets animated is in the same kind of 'low art for nerds and children' category that comics in the US fill. Otakus in Japan are pretty much the same relative to society that they are here, namely ill-adjusted, violently misogynistic/bigoted manchildren who post on the Japanese equivalent of 4chan.

Considering they don't exactly have a shortage of sci-fi anime and manga over there there's really no reason that they would revere Akira. Akira is famous because it got a cult following in the US basically.

Yeah, my HS Japanese teacher (from Japan) in the late 90s was perplexed by Akira's popularity in America.

Miyazaki on the other hand is a national treasure and everyone in the country sees his movies.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So Ernest & Celestine is pretty wonderful. Great art style and animation, solid timing, an inventive world, and just lots of charm and enjoyment all around. I did end up seeing the English-dubbed version since the friend I saw it with wasn't big on subtitles, but other than some instances of mouth movements not syncing perfectly, I thought the American voice cast did a great job as well. Definitely check it out if it's playing in your area.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I was finally able to see Frozen, and it was pretty good. (I know I'm late. Japan is slow sometimes) I liked how everything was pretty much the awful, awful parents' fault. This power could be dangerous if she isn't emotionally well adjusted? Better cut off all contact with the outside world and stress how a fundamental part of her is a dangerous, shameful secret she has to hide and suppress. Great plan guys.

Funny tidbit, the weather has been really good this weekend. I got out of the theater and it was snowing hard. Movie magic is strong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

Do they wear the term "otaku" as a grease-covered badge of honor over there like they do in the US?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wittgen posted:

I was finally able to see Frozen, and it was pretty good. (I know I'm late. Japan is slow sometimes) I liked how everything was pretty much the awful, awful parents' fault. This power could be dangerous if she isn't emotionally well adjusted? Better cut off all contact with the outside world and stress how a fundamental part of her is a dangerous, shameful secret she has to hide and suppress. Great plan guys.

I liked how the parents' death was such a quick, uneventful, throwaway scene that most people didn't even realize it had happened the first time they watched it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

raditts posted:

Do they wear the term "otaku" as a grease-covered badge of honor over there like they do in the US?

Well, for one thing, over there, otaku is used to describe an obsessive fan of anything, not just anime. You can be a train otaku or a movie otaku or a game otaku.

Secondly, it is very much a derogatory term.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

raditts posted:

I liked how the parents' death was such a quick, uneventful, throwaway scene that most people didn't even realize it had happened the first time they watched it.

Really? The death is immediately followed by a crying Anna singing to Elsa about how it's just the two of them now. How did people miss that?

Waffleman, I agree that otaku is a derogatory term, but I think the otaku themselves do wear it as a badge of honor. The otaku response to train man that I read was, "How shameful that he would throw away his otaku lifestyle for a girl. He must not have been a true otaku." Or something like that. I think the word is as much a point of identity and pride for some as geek has become over here, minus the growing social acceptance.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

raditts posted:

Well nerd/anime culture is a thing over there like it is here, the Japanese equivalent of 4chan and the site it was modeled after, 2chan, is famous for being a singularity of horrible misogynistic racist manchild nerds. From what I understand it's exactly like 4chan except worse, considering Japanese baseline social norms are noticeably more misogynistic and bigoted than western ones. I didn't know they use the actual word otaku to describe themselves but I guess they do.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 31, 2014

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Just saw Peabody and Sherman and while overall the movie was pretty bland one thing really bothered me about the story (big spoilers for anyone who cares):

After Peabody "dies" and Sherman and Penny travel back to their current time to get Other-Peabody's help; that timeline now has two Sherman's and Pennys. Sherman and Peabody resolve their double selves by touching and merging back into one which creates the crazy time paradox, but poor Other-Penny presumably gets left behind in Egypt forgotten and murdered/disemboweled when Tut dies later on. I guess we were just supposed to forget about her, much like the cast did :-/

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Peabody & Sherman is just a fun, silly movie, and a lot more enjoyable than the trailer lets on. My little girl was begging me to see it, and I was completely expecting it to be one of those movies I surreptitiously jammed an earbud in my ear to listen to a podcast or something, but I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it.

There are people in my family involved in cross-racial adoptions (is that how you say it?), and I was happy to see that the movie touched on those themes. The last few minutes very badly handles the schmaltzy reconciliation between the two main characters, but beyond that it's a fun movie to watch with a kid.

I'm constantly surprised by how much variety and characterization Patrick Warburton is able to squeeze out of the one voice he can do. Even watching this movie, I was all "I've never heard him do quite that, yet". I don't even know how to express how impressive that one thing he does is.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Wittgen posted:

Funny tidbit, the weather has been really good this weekend. I got out of the theater and it was snowing hard. Movie magic is strong.

I dunno, I think the fact the parents died pretty soon after making that decision was fairly key. It was made in the heat of the moment after one of their daughters very nearly KILLED the other one, I don't think that makes them awful as much as scared and misguided. I think they were frightened FOR Elsa in many ways and were trying to protect her from herself, because if she had an episode in public she'd probably be lynched. Had they survived they would probably have seen how much it was messing up both of the kids and come around to a more appropriate way of dealing with things, maybe importing some sort of teacher who could help her keep her emotions under control without completely shutting down.

I've only seen it once though, so I could be misremembering

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Elsa and Anna were little girls at the time of the accident and three years from age of majority when their parents die. My impression was that 5-10 years passed between the accident and the parent's death. That's a long time to not realize that everything you're doing is making all the problems worse. I get that they were scared and that they made that decision in fear. That doesn't make it any less of an atrocious decision. I mean, they spent all of five seconds thinking up the approach before implementing it. Literally. Troll grandpa says (without any explanation) that he'll remove all the memories of magic "to be safe". Dad nods once and goes, OK, I guess that means I need to completely socially isolate my daughters from the world and each other. Also, the only way to make sure my daughter isn't undone by fear is to drill into her that her powers must be contained at all times or they'l destroy everyone she loves. Yep. That'll get rid of all the fear for sure.

Bad parenting driving conflict is hardly unique to Frozen. It just struck me how horrible their decision making was.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Wittgen posted:

Elsa and Anna were little girls at the time of the accident and three years from age of majority when their parents die. My impression was that 5-10 years passed between the accident and the parent's death. That's a long time to not realize that everything you're doing is making all the problems worse. I get that they were scared and that they made that decision in fear. That doesn't make it any less of an atrocious decision. I mean, they spent all of five seconds thinking up the approach before implementing it. Literally. Troll grandpa says (without any explanation) that he'll remove all the memories of magic "to be safe". Dad nods once and goes, OK, I guess that means I need to completely socially isolate my daughters from the world and each other. Also, the only way to make sure my daughter isn't undone by fear is to drill into her that her powers must be contained at all times or they'l destroy everyone she loves. Yep. That'll get rid of all the fear for sure.

Bad parenting driving conflict is hardly unique to Frozen. It just struck me how horrible their decision making was.

Fair enough, as I said I only saw it the once.

Even so, I don't think the parents were meant to be bad people, just horribly ill equipped to deal with their daughter's unique gift/curse and completely unable to come up with a good solution. If you're in a pseudo-medieval kingdom dealing with a kid who can literally kill everyone then end up being burned at the stake if she gets upset, in an age without modern psychological help and understanding, getting her to shut down and hide might make more sense than the alternative, which is to take the risk that she has just ONE episode and ends up dead. I think the parents loved both their kids, a lot, and were just completely lost and made some bad decisions. Remember they themselves withdrew too, the whole palace was shut up; "evil" parents would have shut the magic kid away in the East Wing and continued to enjoy their lavish life, not taken the entire family out of the public eye.

I'm certainly not saying the parents couldn't have handled things better, they obviously could, but I think they were acting out of concern and love, just doing things so loving wrong that it made things worse. They're not Gothel in tangled, manipulating and emotionally abusing a trusting child for personal gain, they want what's best for both their kids, they just don't have a clear idea of what IS best of how to achieve it. They're ruled by fear, but it's fear FOR their children.

That's all fairly typical of Disney Bad Parents, excepting cases where the parental figure is the actual villain like Tangled (and of course she's not the biological parent), most bad parenting comes from a place of misguided love not malice. King Triton would be a good example, he truly wants what's best for Ariel but is really bullish and pig headed about it and ends up driving her away, and him accepting her as a person who can make her own decisions is the core of the emotional climax of the film

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I don't disagree with any of that. When I said they were awful parents, I didn't mean that they were awful people. I just meant that they were really bad at the whole parenting thing. I don't think that their love and good intentions makes their terrible, borderline abusive decisions as defensible as you seem to, but I totally agree with you that they loved their daughters and were not evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Is anyone else really excited for Song of the Sea? It's supposed to be coming out this year and is by the same people who did the Secret of Kells a few years ago, which didn't exactly have a groundbreaking plot or anything but it was really cute and really really pretty! Plus it's always nice to see some of the more underused (but still admittedly European) mythologies in such vibrant color. This one's about selkies, magical seals that can turn into humans.

• Locked thread