Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyrotoad posted:

The director's commentary says something like they didn't want all the kids in the audience to think there were no pandas left.

Just as easily done by showing a community of pandas. That doesn't answer the question of why they needed to show Po's dad specifically‎.

It's probably set up for the third movie, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I thought the first two were fantastic so I have a lot of hope that they won't screw it up with the third movie. Hell even the christmas special was pretty drat good. (for a christmas special)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Some Guy TT posted:

Well, I don't think that's necessarily the most reasonable way to view the movie. But it's still there. Actually I was more thinking about the whole "superheroes have to go into hiding because greedy personal injury lawyers" thing. I forget- how were the lawsuits described in the movie? I read a kid's book in a doctor's office that was clearly going for that political angle and that incident agitated me to the point I might be judging the film itself unfairly.

The whole theme of the movie is the mundane and ordinary suppressing the fantastic and incredible. The heroes weren't going into hiding as they were signing paperwork stating that they were retiring from hero work and agreeing to not use their abilities to save people anymore. Bob isn't allowed to do hero work, he's on probation, as is every other hero on the government's list. It's the equivalent of the tallest man in the world being ordered by the court to stop being so tall because it's been decided his tallness is unfair to all the people who are shorter than him, he should be short too.

Or something. I haven't seen the movie in the a while. The lawsuits weren't hugely elaborated upon, and I imagine it's more the public pressure to shut down the hero program that actually did the job, the lawsuit was just the light that started that public disapproval going, with tabloids and gossip rags carrying the torch. The superhero's in The Incredibles are all under a government program, if I remember right, and you don't need to look very hard in superhero fiction to find stories of governments and public opinions on superheros swinging between positive and negative.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Darth TNT posted:

I have never seen anything rascist in any Disney movie I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7yE8TKUB_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEEPaYD5KZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQYqQs0R3w

EDIT: gently caress, beaten.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

neonnoodle posted:

OK well, my feeling on this is different from what was posted above. I don't think "I Wanna Be Like You" is racist because Louis Prima was Italian, not black.

The man playing the character is Italian, but King Louie uses black stereotyping, namely in the lyrics ("Now I'm the king of the swingers/Oh, the jungle VIP") and the genre of music, that makes the song kinda uncomfortable, particularly for it's time. I mean, I don't think the song would be written the same way at all if it was written in the 40's, but in the 60's? In the middle of the Civil Rights Movement, when black people were marching in protest for laws against racism? When the ideals of equality were starting to pick up steam? Yeeeeeah, it's pretty racist.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Thwomp posted:

Tony Jay will forever be MEGABYTE. What the gently caress happened after the end of Reboot, you Mainframe fucks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrKYETorM8

Megabyte is basically the best.

Also I haven't seen ReBoot in years, and it's really starting to show it's age. CGI has come a long, long way.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
More LEGO Movie praise.

It's prefect. Pitch Perfect. I could not imagine a better movie being made from this concept. That's probably because when I was a kid, I had video games and LEGO and that was about it for my toys and I never had a thought to complain about that. There are so many in jokes and actual jokes throughout this movie it's unreal. The bit with Bad Cop kicking over a chair made me laugh every. Single. Time. Unikitty was surprisingly underplayed, hell I think Metal Beard had more lines than she did and he was barely in any trailers. Also holy loving poo poo LEGO Millennium Falcon showing up out of nowhere was the loving best god drat. Batman was pretty drat great as well. The best joke in the entire movie is the final 30 seconds before the credits. Though the one part where 1980's space guy actually gets to build a spaceship is an easy second funniest. Everything about this movie is magical.

It's incredible rare when anything, movie, video game, novel, whatever, gets hyped up a lot in my head, and then the final product actually delivers on the hype. The LEGO Movie delivers on the hype. And I think the 500g of candy I ate during the movie only slightly alters my happiness over how well this movie came together.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My theatre had a ad for something called Kre-o. I found it kinda amusing they'd air an ad for a LEGO rip-off before the LEGO movie.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I'm okay with sequels, when they're done right. Having a movie continue an already completed story is not a crime and opens things up for interesting possibilities, ways to continue from the ending of the first that don't retread the exact same story. Pixar has an excellent track record with it's sequels, most of them are arguably better than their predecessors, and The Incredibles is probably the most exciting sequel they will ever make for me, as the first movie, god do I love that movie but I often skip the third act cause it's just a mess, the movie feels way too rushed towards the end, but the possibilities that ending opens up for more stories has left me excited for a sequel pretty much since I first saw the movie a decade ago.

Oh yeah, and the movie is a decade old, so I think that follow-up is long, long over due. If Brad is only just starting writing this then we'll see it in theatres in four-five years, if he's actually finished and working on production then three-four years, either way we're not gonna see this movie till 2017 at the earliest. That's 13 years since the first movie. I think it'll be worth the wait.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Egbert Souse posted:

Frozen is OK, but it seems like it could have used another 20-30 minutes of actual story.

That seems a bit much to me. All I would ask for is a more fleshed out climax and some actual resolution to Elsa's arc. Would need 2 more minutes, tops.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why can't they do more than one project at once?

Uh, they do?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Charlz Guybon posted:

Then I don't see what the problem would be with starting work on a Frozen sequel.

Uh, why?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Snofeld posted:

And yet none of them are Grim Fandango. Though that would never work as a kid's movie.

I still have yet to play that. Does it hold up?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Try The Walking Dead.

That series is about as far removed from classic style adventure games as they can get without being a different genre. I've heard good things about Deponia, maybe give that a whack if you're itching for LucasArts style adventure games being made today.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

What is Betty Boop's platform? Redistribution of the wealth and government sponsored renewal and arts programs!

Well, poo poo, she's got my vote.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FunkyAl posted:

While we're on the subject, I'd also like to really recommend Robert Altman's Popeye to anybody who hasn't seen it. It's a terrific adaptation of the character and does a lot of its own weird little things that make it stand apart from the cartoons, and most musicals.

No it's not.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

I don't know what that is, but it sounds like some kind of creepy anime and being inspired by Drawn Together sounds like it's the worst of both worlds.

Pretty much. Only the creators somehow realized that's what would happen and made it awesome instead. First couple episodes are on YouTube, check it out.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

socialsecurity posted:

They look different enough considering they are sisters.

God drat Elsa has a long neck. They're standing shoulder to shoulder but Elsa is still taller then Anna solely because of her neck.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

No idea what it is, but the genderless white blob character should hold appeal with the Tumblr set. Disney leaves no demographic unturned.

Sorry, but that is very clear a balloon, not a blob.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
While I really enjoy the effort post, there is one thing that caught my eye:

K. Waste posted:

This analysis hypothesizes that this ambiguity [between religious spectators and the content of the films they view] is informed by two main factors in regards to films with subject matter explicitly adapted from scripture: 1) That most audiences are relatively lacking in direct experiences with Biblical literature, and construct their views on it based on what they learn from their religious education (if any), general attitudes and dominant ideas about Biblical literature, and what they absorb from films and television, and; 2) That most audiences will consequently take at face value cinematic representations of Biblical content as “authentic” up and until the moment that content is specifically challenged in the broader culture, which may not ever occur because religious authorities or scholars fail to address it or because they themselves see it as appropriate. This analysis further seeks to use a specific case study in deviation from Biblical fidelity in cinematic adaptation to illustrate how palpable this ambiguity is, and how the artistic liberties taken in adapting scripture to a new temporal/mediated context will inevitably reconstitute the meaning of a given text in ways that are not apparent specifically because they speak to contemporary ideologies in ways that the scripture does not.

This isn't a phenomenon unique to the Bible, if anything, every book that's had a movie adaptation of itself is ultimately losing something in the transition to screen. I can admit to having watch a lot more movies than I have read books, and it's possible I've watched more movies based on books than I have the books those movies are based on. Which technically makes me part of the problem, but whatever, the point is that every movie based on a book is gonna be a story told through the lens of the director, and he will cherry pick the best parts while ignoring others, or reinterpret themes and metaphors to mean something else entirely, hell he may even throw out the original story and rewrite it from scratch only borrowing some key names and scenes. (looking at you, Disney's Hercules)

I also had more words here but I'm tired and they aren't forming right so I deleted them. Gonna keep reading your essay, it's good poo poo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Clip out of Big Hero 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEeBXUUOBiI

I laughed, but then I'm always a sucker for visual humour.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Well, Frozen's not even a year old. It makes sense to dedicate extra attention to new films.

By that logic, Big Hero 6 would be the big one to push while Frozen gets slowly phased out, but if anything the reverse is happening, Big Hero 6 merch is being set aside so they can jam more Frozen dolls in every aisle.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

Mel Brooks is playing Dracula's father in Hotel Transylvania 2.

Mel...

Well, considering how much creative control the actors had to improv and create scenes in the first one, this is nothing but good news to me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody watch the new Toy Story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa443T_A4CA

Couple weeks old now, I actually only learned of it's existence today.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I swear I would review a new title, but to this day I have never seen a worse animated feature film than Bee Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUO6kjyOcE

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

John Liver posted:

I'm exactly the opposite on this issue. I've seen so many cartoons and animated features over the years I can pick out the "old guard" voices immediately, and it just becomes jarring after a while. I can tell when it's Tress Macneille or Rob Paulsen or John DiMaggio, and I can only picture that voice as coming from another, much more distinct role of theirs. I'd much rather people hire actors who don't usually do voiceovers (or hell, hire some unknown up-and-comer, I'm sure they'll work cheap). Just some variety, is all I'd like.

They won't, because why bring in somebody you haven't worked with before when you can bring in somebody you have on speed dial?

There's a lot of deciding factors to doing good voice work, namely that you don't suck. Imagine having somebody come into your sound booth, let's say for background character or a nameless NPC in a game, that you've never worked with before, maybe you saw him on TV, maybe you've had lunch with him, maybe he's a friend of a friend, whatever, you've never worked with him before, so now you've got him in your booth, he's got his lines, and you're on the mic ready to give directions.

What you want is someone who catches on right away and does brilliantly, gets all of his lines done in a very charismatic, charming voice, takes all the directions you give him exceedingly well and often improvs and improves the material. Four hours later he's out the door and you have to edit down from a lot of good lines to just what you need.

Or... you get an actor who only looks good on camera but doesn't know the difference between pronunciation and annunciation, who reads off a line two dozen times without a single one of his facial expressions reaching his voice, who is more than ready to argue his choices with you rather than take the directions you give him like he's the lead role in a play. Four hours later you're only halfway through the script and have nothing you'd want to keep but have to because you called this guy in rather than somebody you know could do these lines in their sleep.

The funny thing is, neither would get the call back, because they both took four hours when a voice actor you've already worked with before would have given you the same performance in about two hours. Time is money, and budgets for voice actors are pretty tight. Every hour they're in the booth is an hour they're getting paid, so why pay more for new talent when it's cheaper to bring back your favourites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just watch this and skip the movie itself. The other songs aren't even that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4p9WKnDQzQ

Man, the animation and designs in that movie are so good but the directing just doesn't reach that same level and the script is kinda mellow too. Even that song, which is supposedly a highlight, doesn't have all that much interesting choreography or camera work, hell they have an extended sequence in a black space which screams "we couldn't think of what to put here so have some random animations" to me. It's not a bad movie, just depressingly average.

• Locked thread