Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Good good, they've been invited to P1 before but quite sensibly decided to gently caress that noise. In P2 they can at least be there or thereabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

It's probably the weight and added complexity of those devices that kept him away. It's easier to package and hide the weight in a touring car or GT car versus a single-seater.

Although in WTCC he did have to run 30kg heavier than the field because of the sequential gearbox rules of the time.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yep, just takes Turks confirming his open secret return to WSR and we've got 7 former champions on the grid.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

McMadCow posted:

Sonofabitch. All this upcoming BTCC awesomeness and the UK won't renew my visa. :(

How long you got?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pablo Bluth posted:

In no-longer-BTCC news, Frank Wrathall has been sent to gaol for 21 months after pleading guilty to death by careless driving.

The team had already sold their car and entry anyway. Can't help but thinks he deserves it though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, consider that car a bonus car really alongside a competitive 2 car team of Turks and Collard. To be fair, of those guys Foster is one of the best.

EDIT : Actually if you look at last year, Collard : 214, Foster : 182.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 11, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

But Turks was ultimately still 2nd in the championship so it can't have been that bad.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ah.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah I really thought he got hosed over at Snetterton.

So 7 former champions in the BTCC...

1997,2000 - Alain Menu - Team BMR (HARD) Volkswagen CC
2001,2010 - Jason Plato - MG KX Momentum (888) MG6 GT
2005,2006,2011 - Matt Neal - Yuasa Honda (Dynamics) Honda Civic LOLback
2007,2008 - Fabrizio Giovanardi - Airwaves (Motorbase) Ford Focus
2009 - Colin Turkington - Ebay (WSR) BMW 1
2012 - Gordon Shedden - Yuasa Honda (Dynamics) Honda Civic LOLback
2013 - Andrew Jordan - Pirtek (Eurotech) Honda Civic

So who does best? Do they win the championship? If not, who does? And who does worst?

I think Plato takes it this year, he's got consistency and it'll take Dynamics a while to sort out the LOLback, meanwhile Jordan will suffer because the hatch won't get developed. Turks has a chance to run him close and I don't quite think Motorbase will have the car.... yet.

Menu will do worst, he's not QUITE the driver he was at his peak, HARD/BMR aren't quite there as a team and the CC still doesn't have the dev behind it that the others do. I absolutely see him sneaking a win, even if in a race 3.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's quite the season, right now we have 27 confirmed car and driver combinations.

And that's without the 2nd and 3rd Motorbase cars (and they have sponsorship without driver to run the 2nd), without the 2nd Rob Austin/Exocet car (and I think we can count that as a given), without the 2nd Speedworks car.

So effectively a field of 31 and unlike most years there's no reason to expect anyone won't be ready (with the possible exception of Robb Holland's new S3).

They said they'd issued all 32 licences so there's a 32nd car we don't yet know about that's likely. I'm assuming it'll be IP Tech with their 2nd Cruze (they sold the first to Aiden Moffet) but does anyone know more?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pablo Bluth posted:

I thought IP Tech were a financial bust which is why Moffet now owns the car.

I kinda lost all track of them to be honest but Andy Neate still has money so...

So who is car 32 then? They offered them to the 2013 teams first and so far we know BMR are out (because they bought out Tony Gilham).

We haven't heard from Central Group or Techspeed so it could be either of them.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

LeMans entry list released.

LMP1
3 Audi R18
2 Toyota TS040
2 Porsche 919
A Lotus which I'm sure will be in now way hilariously outclassed.
And the usual pair of Rebellions.

LMP2 is almost entirely Nissans, be they ORECA, Zytek, Morgan and Dome chassied. No surprises in the line up as far as I can tell.

AF Corse somehow have 6 Ferraris in GTE, Aston Martin have 5 Vantage V8s. What little room there is left in Pro is taken up by the 2 works Porsches run by Manthey and the pairs of Corvettes and Vipers.

The rest of amateur is the usual collection of Ferraris, and 911s alongside a single private Vantage V8. The nearest to interest is the Dempsey machine and 8 Star.

The Nissan ZEOD RC is confirmed as Garage 56.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Why especially Porsche?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The disturbing thing about that stat is, if you count the BMW in the McLaren, the Germans have basically won 19 of the last 20.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

The best thing that could happen to Le Mans is all the factory P1 cars exploding. That might actually make the race interesting (it wont)

Normally I'd agree but this year you have 7 very good cars racing each other, if they explode it's just the two Rebellion Toyotas punting around. (No one expects the Lotus after hour 3 right?)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Turns out Andy Neate WAS the mysterious 32nd BTCC car but he's not going to bother using the licence so it'll be up for grabs. He claims he wants to return for 2015 but he'll have to apply to do so and he'll have just pissed off the series by pulling out a month before so....

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

He's not a racer, he's a businessman. He was always a ride buyer just like say, Nick Foster.

Trouble was he was both slower and more wayward than Nick and so when he ended up at MG they were convinced he was embarrassing enough to drop in order to run someone good.

Thinking somehow the problem wasn't him he massively overcommitted with his own team and it turned out about as well as you'd expect.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

At this point it's worth looking up Vic Lee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Lee_Racing

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, to be fair it's very difficult to come back from something like that and given that just the time to repair the thing would mean they missed 1 of their 3 other races I'm not surprised it wasn't viable.

As I said on Racer though, if someone can get a car there's basically a pre-packaged winning team right there for them.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The 2 Fords are both Motorbase, apparently they have a single seater guy lined up for one and Matt Jackson thinks he can get himself sorted for the other but if not it'll go to TOC for the first 3 rounds till he gets bored.

No real whisper on a driver for the 2nd Speedworks car but last year's drivers have both moved on to AmD and Welch.

The 2nd Rob Austin Audi is likely to be Jake Hill I believe.

EDIT : A guy on 10/10ths believes the Lea Wood entry is using Speedworks' 2nd licence so it replaces that car. The car itself is the ex-Adam Morgan Cicely Avensis, so really not a bad car.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 1, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Also V8 supercars

Yeah I was on the edge of my loving seat the whole last lap, really glad to see on the replay the pass back was fair. They've built a bloody good car there and got exactly the right bloke to drive it. Dahlgren will be good too, he's just got a lot to learn and hasn't had any time to do it in.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fag Boy Jim posted:

NGTC is fantastic, even if it's been more expensive than forecast (aren't all new car formulae more expensive than forecast?). Any series that lets a VW CC and a tiny BMW 1-Series race on equal terms owns.

There's a cultural difference, being able to describe a BMW 1 as tiny with a straight face.

Actually those 2 cars aren't as far apart as you might think, their wheelbases are actually within an inch of each other. If you compare the couple 1 (i.e - the 2) with the CC it's less than a foot difference in length.

That said you're right, we have a series that is literally on the entry limit the tracks can take, 30 confirmed entries with a 31st near certain, 13 different cars from 10 different manufacturers (2 different Audi, Chevy, Honda). SEVEN former champions in the field. 3 independent teams able to bring 3 new models into the field this year.... I don't think there's any single class series that can boast that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Probably going to do better than Will Bratt.

I don't know what happened there, he's far better than his shithouse results implied.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about Jake. I assume he was guaranteed, especially given he was the one in the Exocet sponsored car when he appeared.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Gravett's interesting, his decline in the later years was after he had a couple of very bad crashes caused by brake failure. From then on he had a nasty tendancy to "test" the brakes early before every corner.

I think he's over that now, I saw him step into an Abarth Trophy car with no notice (because he was the only man with a race licence in the pits that morning when someone fell ill as I recall) and he finished very competitively in that field.

But yeah, he's almost certainly trolling, it's been too long. He's from a generation essentially a decade behind Alain Menu and the only car open is quite frankly too good for him.

There was a rumour though, that Alan Gow was holding back car 32 for guest entries and I could totally see Robb doing a round just for the hell of it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Motor racing is dangerous, that kind of thing will happen.

If they let that energy CEO on a track again it probably will happen again.

But "A tragic incident happened in a completely different race" doesn't magically make hour long cautions for a car stopped safely off the track and literally penalising a car for an incident they weren't even involved in perfectly ok.

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's BTCC media day today, so we might finally to find out who is in the second Airwaves Ford. Also, first photo I'm aware of, of the Rotek Audi S3.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/rotek-audi-s3-ready-for-btcc-season/

That S3 is gorgeous.

Ignoring the 3 "Why are they even bothering" TC2 cars, the BTCC now has literally double the field of the WTCC. And 13 or 14 different cars instead of 4.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 20, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They TWICE had drivers pull out straight into traffic causing large, expensive and dangerous wrecks.

You do that in the amateur leagues I inhabit and you'd be lucky not to be chucked out of the championship let alone in the world's 2nd most famous endurance race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Indeed.

Whereas taking 84 seconds to get a first extinguisher on a burning car, 45 minutes to clear a broken down car nowhere near the track and penalising a car that wasn't even involved in the two incidents they were talking about, almost certainly changing the winners of two classes are all pretty damning.

I'm by no means doom and gloom on the whole thing but they need to look at a lot of stuff quickly.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

VikingSkull posted:

When someone can post a series that is perfect, wait, no, perfect in their first year of existence, then I'll start killing them over what's happened.

It's not REALLY a new series.

And while I might just be able to give you the Alex Job incident, taking 84 seconds to tend to a fire and completely ignoring 2 drivers performing the single most basic driving error there is are not "teething troubles".

They've had a week now, has there been any retrospective action on those drivers?

--

On another note, why do they need clear laps to allow people to pit under caution anyway? Go green. Let them pit under green.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

VikingSkull posted:

Man we need to be safer I don't get it this is unacceptable.

Also make them pit in a scramble under racing conditions!

This is why none of you run a racing series.

e- seriously the disconnect in your post is astounding, Dudley

It really isn't. Why would they pit in a scramble? They pit in a scramble under yellow because it's essentially free. Under green it'd cost them exactly as much as any other time.

And we don't "Need to be safer", we have to react quicker than a guy will literally die in a fire and we have to react AT ALL when 2 drivers make just about the most basic mistake in motorsport. It's been a week, have they taken any action against those two?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Then that would also be true if there wasn't a yellow, which happens pretty frequently in most series that don't throw a caution for a mars wrapper on the track.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

VikingSkull posted:

No, I think piss poor reactions to crashes span basically all of motorsport.

Well let's see. There's MotoGP today, there's F1 next weekend, I believe there's the BTCC a week after that. Let's see if there is a single incident in literally any of them that takes 90 seconds for a first useful response.

I'm going to suggest no.

And again we're completely ignoring that they've had over a week at their leisure to do something about two utter fucktards causing massive crashes and have taken precisely zero action. The interview with the COO on racer.com is basically him constantly saying "Yeah, gently caress off" repeatedly.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

VikingSkull posted:

You're right, there's no way an open cockpit car would ever be involved in an accident where the drivers head would strike an unmoving object.

A blade shaped unmoving object at head height? I struggle to think of another example.

Seriously stop windmilling with increasingly obscure incidents from other series, almost all of which were followed by changes. The key is not that IMSA hosed up (and stop insulting everyone's intelligence by calling it a new series) it's that they hosed up in 3 entirely separate ways and are entirely uninterested in fixing at least 2 of them, really all 3.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

But it's the lack of response. There are 3 things they can react to right now, penalising the right Porsche and some kind of serious sanction against the two idiots.

That combined with the COO giving an interview that would make the Iraqui minister of information blush on Racer.com just doesn't bode well at all.

I'd debate the good racing bit too, we don't know that yet, you can't judge anything from a race where near enough half of it was spent following a pace car around.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Meanwhile another bloody good last lap brewing in Moto2.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To his credit, Kearby apologises for being an idiot.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/kearby-apologizes-after-sebring-pc-crash/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

http://racer.com/index.php/latest-stories/item/102156-imsa-starworks-to-focus-on-pc-entries-as-r-d-starts-for-honda-dp

Starworks DP going to sit out 1-2 races while they have Wirth come over and rework all the issues with feeding the HPD P2 engine.

Muscle Milk and the Delta Wing are missing much of the season too, this is looking a little iffy in Prototypes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Uncle Jam posted:

He used to be in a totally poo poo car but now he gets mentions 100x more during the weekend its great.

He hasn't changed car.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ITV have chosen some weird poo poo for their grid music before so it doesn't surprise me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Meanwhile in Australia, I got genuinely emotional watching Lee Holdsworth take Erebus's first win in the V8s. Super work from them.

• Locked thread