Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I wanted to like ASM because of its story and just swinging around the city, but I couldn't deal with the combat. It works in the Arkham games because the controls worked hand-in-hand with the level design and was consistent in and out of combat. ASM tried to map every action to one button so there's parts where the prompts go nuts.

I'm still hopeful that there'll be another fun Spidey game.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ThermoPhysical posted:

The biggest things people wanted were indoor levels, SM2 swinging (JUST like SM2, absolutely no changes), playing as Peter Parker as working for the Bugle, going on dates with MJ and no Spider-Man stuff, and more Venom/Symbiote Suit.

A Spider-man or Superman game where you had to switch between hero and secret identity roles could be a cool concept. You'd have to follow a schedule to make it seem like you're living a normal life but there's a list of things you have to do in a given day like stop bank robberies or fight off a rogue and then get the pics or story over to the newspaper while still remembering to show up for the night's date.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh yeah...what's sad is that I have it staring right at me. :v: ...I kind of liked it. Only kind of.

That'd actually be pretty neat, show the player exactly how it feels to be as busy as Peter is and have to make choices like Mass Effect or something just to save the day. They wouldn't need any type of "OH GOD, THE WORLD IS ENDING, WHERE IS SPIDER-MAN?!" plots like almost every single Spider-Man game has now.

That's another thing that bothered me with the recent Spider-Man games. They ALWAYS had some huge huge thing going down that, usually, Spider-Man would go get help with. They'd either completely ignore that he COULD get help or just do it weirdly (like Luke Cage training Spider-Man on how to use his own powers....what...)

"With great power comes great responsibility"
   - Power Man

I always thought one of the best Superman stories that wasn't about Superman is Astro City # 1. Do that as a game where it's all not world-ending crises but people in burning buildings or car chases with bandits and punctuate it every now and then with notable enemies like Shocker or Lizard to make their inclusion more meaningful instead of exhausting everyone with villain overload. ASM kinda had the right idea with their bank robbers and Peter using his camera at certain points.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lobok posted:

If there's anything that videogamers love, it's strict schedules, time limits, and relationship management.

If it ever came out, it'd probably be a nightmare of a game. I just think that superhero games should try to look at the other aspect of the character's life instead of being in costume 100% of the time.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe if you didn't focus on the time limit so much, but doing so made parts of the game easier. You chase down Lizard as Spider-man, snap a few pictures, and race back to The Bugle to make it to print time.

Depending on these responses you would either get smaller bonuses (or maybe no bonusat all) to the points for finishing a mission. Maybe work in the whole Renegade = Black suit points everyone can't seem to get enough of.

Replace :clint: with :rant: and you've got a JJ emote!

Yeah, that sounds cool. The schedule doesn't have to be Dead Rising-strict, just a basic to-do list for the day and if you can hit all the points, bravo, and if you can only focus on one aspect over another, hey it ain't easy being Spider-man.

Maybe doing something as a hero benefits you as a civilian and vice versa. Rescuing hostages from Doc Ock gets you the tickets to the show you can use to treat MJ. Finding a scoop for JJ uncovers a villainous plot you wouldn't have found out in any other way. Forget the morality thing, though, that's inFamous' thing. Just make it so that equipping the black costume makes all of Pete's responses dickish by default.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
There's no New Game Plus. You just talk to Mephisto to reset everything.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
If they do interior levels, they really should work on the camera so that it doesn't gently caress you over when you're on the ceiling. And they should also work on their stealth mechanics because more often than not I'd get the stealth prompt but immediately after I pressed the action button the guy would turn around and I would stomp on him and alert every guard in the room.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Oh. Haha. I thought it was just a complaint about having to play kinda differently as her and deal with her upgrades too. I don't like the character art or design for pretty much anyone in the Arkham games.

Riddler looked cool but good God was it a pain to get through his story.

I can understand why Catwoman would be more limited in her arsenal compared to Batman but she really needs an "oh poo poo!" button when enemies open fire like Batman's smoke pellets.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lobok posted:

Ah, there it is. A huge massive sprawling metropolis of... a ghost town. Kind of funny how deathmatch-y or arcade style the Arkham games generally are. Anything that moves is an enemy.

They're beat em ups with really good stealth gameplay.

Anyways, I wouldn't want Batman to interact with civilians unless it's an Adam West or Brave and the Bold game. At least he'd come off really hammy trying to direct the people away from danger instead of being really distant.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lobok posted:

...and with driving and an open world, though? I wouldn't put this in Double Dragon territory when it's clearly turning more into a Spider-Man or Crackdown.

Yeah, I wasn't arguing with you I was just oversimplifying the games. They're beat 'em ups in an open world system. Beat 'em up combat has become a component of games nowadays instead of being the sole feature, just like stealth mechanics.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Gaz-L posted:

CDB should be Symbiote Spidey. I want to swing through Manhattan bellowing "GET BACK HEEEERE SHOCKURRRRR!"

If they add the silver/black spider armor they should have him voice it in that really smug voice he used in the multiverse episodes.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ThermoPhysical posted:

They'll probably save one of those for Symbiote Spider-Man and Iron Spider. :v:

It'd be really cool if Iron Spider had finishing moves involving those robo-arms and if Symbiote Spider-Man had all of his dialogue replaced with more sarcastic/mean-spirited exchanges.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lurdiak posted:

They even managed to have him run out of webbing and crash into some poo poo in the second Raimi film, which is impressive considering he had organic webbing.

That was the weirdest subplot in the film. I thought it was going somewhere with that and then nothing.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I want Parker luck in a Spider-Man game. I want to pay my rent. I want friend missions like GTA IV where I can't do something because Aunt May called me to get her pills, but if I don't stop this car chase, JJ is going to write a bad article about me.
It's Supes.

What if they used Gears of War's active reload system with Spider-Man's webbing? If you miss the prompt, your shooters jam up and you can't do any web attacks for a while.

It's a terrible idea, but the closest thing to making a game out of Parker luck.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Hakkesshu posted:

Never pre-order. It's dumb and you don't gain anything from it.

I got a sweet Batman statue for preordering Arkham City.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
With Arkham City, I was definitely hyped up by the ads and all that, but I also trusted Rocksteady to deliver on their promises. I can't say that I feel as confident in Activision and neither can anyone else apparently, so I can understand the apprehension over preordering ASM 2. I'll wait until a few reviews come in before I pick up a copy.

Drifter posted:

Web of Shadows is still my favorite Spider-Man game. I think it's great.

Is that the one where you can fight on the sides of buildings? That looked really cool and I've been thinking about getting it at Gamestop.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chickenfrogman posted:

Web of Shadows has some pretty cool moments and by far and away the best combat out of any Spider-Man game. It's easily the only Spider-Man game that really nails how he fights.

I just saw some videos of the early game. I really like the breakdancing on the sides of buildings. The next time I see a copy I'm picking it up.

Only downside I'm seeing is Peter's VA sounds really whiny.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
At least the Spider-Sense alert when an enemy's gonna attack is in a brighter color. In the first game it would get drowned out by all the fighting. I hope the stealth prompts and Web Rush aren't as finicky as in ASM1.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Aces High posted:

one of the things I liked about the first ASM game was that it took place after the events in the film, so yes it did spoil that he beats the Lizard (not a huge surprise really) but it went from that and just went full steam ahead into their own story. Still really curious how they are going to handle the fact that Manhattan got pretty beaten up by all of Smythe's robots

Are they gonna have a problem reconciling their Rhino from the one the new movie has?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

goldenoreos posted:

I would dig a Pokemon Snap styled Marvel Paparazzi game, especially if you could throw apples at Bruce Banner

There would be this big green mound on the righthand side of the first course that would register as ? until you get the Pester Ball and Pokeflute to wake the Hulk up and get him dancing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really wish that Marvel would get their game licenses in such a way that they could have one company produce just a really beautiful Rockstar level Manhattan that could be used in multiple Marvel games so they get their money's worth.

I'm going through Arkham Origins right now and I actually like that most of the world is Arkham City. They didn't just reskin the world; there's definitely more of an urban feel and less of a concrete archipelago that City had near Amusement Mile and the Industrial District.

Lobok posted:

I don't know much about game programmin' and such but I've always thought about this in terms of New York in general. For any game. Like the way companies will license engines, someone could make a customizable New York.

There was an article in bit-tech about that a few years back:

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/07/14/critical-why-not-reuse-game-worlds/1

If it's done in a shared universe way like how the Marvel films have their characters sharing the same space it could be cool. For example something happens in New York for Iron Man's game and then in Thor's game there would be references in his New York about the events in Iron Man's game. But I also think there's potential for lazy devs to phone it in and have a generic open world city.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

I think Spider-Man games work best in large, open environments and the easiest way to have those are open world games. The game world's big enough to swing around aimlessly and you can reuse the environment for any mission you'd want to put in the game so it saves time making unique environment models that the player would probably only pass by once or twice.

ASM's problem was that the city felt way too samey overall and the activities it had you doing weren't that great. You beat up a couple of muggers with the Arkhamlike combat, do a QTE car chase, or collect the same comic book issue that's somehow magically flying around the city.

The only ones I did like were the investigative photography sidequests and the stunt races with the blimp because Bruce Campbell.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Midniter posted:

Haha ThermoPhysical, you're certainly more dedicated than me.

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but the Deadpool game is actually surprisingly fun. I played it on the hard difficulty (I think it's called Ultra-Violence) and in some spots it was quite challenging, especially since I was going for some achievement that had you using only swords and pistols the entire game without upgrading or buying any other weapons or something like that.

It's only the second game I sunk enough time into to get 1000/1000 gamerscore, which surprised me. Give it a shot, I'm sure it's super cheap now.

I liked the teleporter dodging. If you end up replaying it, try upgrading the sais, they're crazy fun.

I think when the game introduced (I'll spoiler it for the guy who's gonna play it) flying enemies in that open arena I was kinda annoyed. It wouldn't have been a terrible fight but your pistols have limited ammo and there's only a few boxes around the area. So I didn't realize that I was out of bullets and the only guy left in the arena was the flying enemy who kept out of my melee range. I had to bait him to float towards the second tier platforms so I could air combo him enough times to kill him.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Midniter posted:

So if you don't regenerate health and have to manually heal, did they really get rid of the best game mechanic to come out in the past ten years and revert to "health potions" basically? That's so dumb.

Web Retreat was pretty dumb. Like it makes sense when Batman is hiding on a gargoyle that no one can see past but Spider-Man just presses himself up against a brick wall and it somehow works.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Byzantine posted:

Doesn't Spider-Man have a healing factor, though? Not as boss as Wolverine's obviously, but I'm pretty sure he does.

I was gonna say no but looked it up and sure enough.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I just want The Animated Series Batmobile.

If only :allears:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Opopanax posted:

What about Azrael? It seemed like Rocksteady had a plan for him, and he fits as a Batman with no limits

Don't forget Hush as well. He felt like a dangling plot thread.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I played it on a Wii and it was fine. I prefer it over Lego Batman 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

mind the walrus posted:

That game is criminally underrated really, especially considering how it was basically the template for Prototype and to a lesser extent Infamous.

I wanna play that game just for this mission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KI3dGzRl5g&t=132s

• Locked thread