Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Or if they do, their suspensions are suspiciously short or non-existent. Especially for Origin players who may or may not represent NSW.

I really do feel bad for McLean though, thats some heavy poo poo for him to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Gammon posted:

Or if they do, their suspensions are suspiciously short or non-existent. Especially for Origin players who may or may not represent NSW.

I really do feel bad for McLean though, thats some heavy poo poo for him to deal with.
Its a big deal, its rarely the halves that get pinged for this stuff which is why on the field cards is the only really effective solution.

And yeah I really hope McLean is getting some good psychological support.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but they rule on injuries inflicted now, nobody gets that

I was complaining when Snowden got 7 weeks when he should have got 2, but nobody was listening to me then

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm torn about the punishment; obviously he was going to get some time on the sideline but 7 weeks seems excessive and purely reactionary, so totally in character for the NRL. Whatever he got will pale before what he must be going through, hope he's doing OK (can't imagine what it would do to you to know you're responsible for doing that to someone, even though it's accidental).

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Is there even a single fan of the game that thinks our judiciary process isn't amateur as gently caress?

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
suspensions should never be based on the severity of the injury.

7 weeks is retarded.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Robbie Fowler posted:

suspensions should never be based on the severity of the injury.
I agree.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mills posted:

Is there even a single fan of the game that thinks our judiciary process isn't amateur as gently caress?

this is the one thing the NRL and Superleague are perfectly in sync with. Our punishments are random as gently caress dependent on [??? something nobody - including the RFL - knows].

The story only got reported here because he got 7 weeks, not one channel (sports news included) covered the story at all until that punishment was dished out, and only then because some fucker came on saying BAN ALL LIFT TACKLES IMMEDIATELY! CHILDRENnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

7 weeks is far too long.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Notwithstanding that the reactionary nature of the NRL judiciary is pants-on-head retarded, but this is pretty much what you see on the front pages of (I hesitate to call them this) real media. The only difference is that generally the courts just ignore the idiocy spouted there, but you still get politicians making a good effort to try to replicate the effect. See NSW's alcohol policies for recent examples.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Fensom got injured against Souths trying to protect himself in a lifting tackle. The refs just need to blow a penalty as soon as a player is lifted into a dangerous position. They happen about 20 times a game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

You'd hope there'd be less of them if they blew them that often, but I foresee a Gus monologue about how many penalties are being called nowadays and how terrible it is and blah blah blah

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

Yeah but they rule on injuries inflicted now, nobody gets that

I was complaining when Snowden got 7 weeks when he should have got 2, but nobody was listening to me then

Pretty sure I was with you then, it's retarded.

Actual intentional foul poo poo like George Rose in the 2011 grand final got 1 trial game because by some miracle the fat gently caress didn't crush Heremaia's skull, when an accident like this (honestly this identical tackle happens every single game with not a word spoken about it) gets 7 weeks due to reactionary bullshit.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's a player's responsibility not to paralyze other players. Boo loving hoo.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

honestly this identical tackle happens every single game with not a word spoken about it

This is the problem.
It's like claiming drink-driving is OK if you don't kill anyone.

7 weeks seems harsh and arbitrary because of the dangerous and illegal tackles which went unpunished.
If tip-tackles/lifting/spearing are not punished in the future then it's just compounding the stupidity.

iajanus posted:

You'd hope there'd be less of them if they blew them that often, but I foresee a Gus monologue about how many penalties are being called nowadays and how terrible it is and blah blah blah

It's horrendous that a young man suffered such a horrible fate but the least the game could do is grow the gently caress up a bit and realise that player safety is more important than some tired old man's idea of what being hard is.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I don't mind the concept of penalties being a base loading for the act plus a loading for the outcome, but it has to be absolutely transparent and clear to the players. Want to shoulder charge a bloke into next week? Fine, but you'll be doing a couple of weeks minimum plus rolling the dice that he doesn't get injured. Don't want to risk potentially copping a 2 month ban? Easy, don't shoulder charge someone in the face.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You're better of doing a swinging arm at a forehead than at a jaw, because a broken jaw is loading. Swing high boys.

Mills fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 3, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Got bored and put a bet on. $20 @ $1483.97 est return: $29,679.4

Manly +13 against Tigers
Storm 1 - 12 against Titans
Dragons 1 - 12 against Bunnies
Penrith 1 - 12 against Raiders
Warriors 13+ against Sharks
Broncos 13+ against Eels
Roosters 1 - 12 against Bulldogs

wish me luck

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I've been parroting on about this since it happened, but the rule exists for a reason, and I have no problem with the enforcement of it changing. If it results in a short term barrage of penalties, I'm fine with that because the players and coaches will eventually have to change tackling techniques for the better. Cannonball tackles are almost gone after the directive to penalise the crap out of them, I think the same can happen here.

Dirty Frank posted:

The best thing they could do (long term, I've no idea short term) is to give cards out in the loving games. Dangerous tackle, no malice (e.g. McLean) yellow card. Dangerous tackle, reason to believe malice (e.g. obvious shoulder charge, nasty spear tackle etc.) red card. Keep the match bans on top of that and the coaches will improve things in 3-4 matches. The problem is that match bans aren't enough, the really important players don't generally get involved in this poo poo anyway.

The system already exists, union took the idea of the sin bin from league. Where the NRL has gone wrong is the report system. It was intended as a referral system for referees, but they ended up using it as a crutch because they were too scared to actually bin someone. In order to get sent off, I think you need to use a knife.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Jono C posted:

The system already exists, union took the idea of the sin bin from league. Where the NRL has gone wrong is the report system. It was intended as a referral system for referees, but they ended up using it as a crutch because they were too scared to actually bin someone. In order to get sent off, I think you need to use a knife.

This might get a sinbin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVrsGHs2MCk

I know it exists (I also know nothing at all about Union), but they never use it in the NRL (rarely in the Super League either, but more often). Anyway we agree, they should actually use the on field sanctions they have.

A sin bin or sending off is a bigger penalty to the team than match bans, its really not that hard to cover a missing forward for 4 matches or so, its very difficult to make up for being a man short for a decent amount of a game.

Also I like (brackets).

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/jordan-mclean-had-four-matches-added-to-ban-due-to-mckinnon-injury-20140403-zqqai.html

The judiciary is saying it was three weeks for the dangerous throw, and four weeks for the severity of the injury. Good on them for being transparent about it.

Dirty Frank posted:

A sin bin or sending off is a bigger penalty to the team than match bans, its really not that hard to cover a missing forward for 4 matches or so, its very difficult to make up for being a man short for a decent amount of a game.

The other obvious problem with reports is that the team that was wronged doesn't get a benefit beyond the penalty.

Another reason referees are scared of using the sin bin is because it can have a pretty big impact on the result of the game. One option I have heard suggested is having sin bins similar to ice hockey power plays- as soon as points or a try are scored, the player can come back into the game.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Jono C posted:

The other obvious problem with reports is that the team that was wronged doesn't get a benefit beyond the penalty.
Good point.

Jono C posted:

Another reason referees are scared of using the sin bin is because it can have a pretty big impact on the result of the game. One option I have heard suggested is having sin bins similar to ice hockey power plays- as soon as points or a try are scored, the player can come back into the game.
I guess the answer to that is that as long as the ref is correct* then its the player who committed the offense who has the impact on the result, rather than the referee. And its the impact on the result that's the important thing, otherwise whats the point.

* yeah I know...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't mind whatever they throw at players as long as they are consistent and transparent. This normally is where the system falls apart do hopefully they can stick to it for once. I like the idea of more sin bins and having them work like powerplays as this would be pretty effective at cutting out the rubbish somewhat.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bill is back! And don't we know it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man that seems so suss

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good thing they didn't award that

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

Good thing they didn't award that

The only positive would have been the Ennis tantrum.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

The only positive would have been the Ennis tantrum.
oh man would have been great, then he'd start faking stuff

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Start?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Textbook Ennis milking.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
These Stanley kids sure do cop a lot of injuries.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

These Stanley kids sure do cop a lot of injuries.
One might say they are injury prone

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Got bored and put a bet on. $20 @ $1483.97 est return: $29,679.4

Manly +13 against Tigers
Storm 1 - 12 against Titans
Dragons 1 - 12 against Bunnies
Penrith 1 - 12 against Raiders
Warriors 13+ against Sharks
Broncos 13+ against Eels
Roosters 1 - 12 against Bulldogs

wish me luck
lol that lasted long

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
That Telstra nrl game pass ad rules

It also doesn't surprise me but still pisses me off that Gus has a passive aggressive sook about boot sponsors telling players to wear whatever colours boots the sponsor chooses, meanwhile the man of the match interview has the VB music playing the entire time.

Edit: oof Parker will feel that one tomorrow

aejix fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 4, 2014

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The secret is to remember that whatever Gus whines about will be inevitably hypocritical.

Anyone else heading to Leichhardt to watch manly destroy the tigers?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Hopoate has been pretty good

Edit: :stare:

aejix fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 4, 2014

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Hang on, Parra won?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

MiniSune posted:

Hang on, Parra won?

drat straight. We've actually got the makings of a decent team with the new blood that's in there this year. Still need to work on our defence but there are attacking options everywhere.

What the hell is wrong with the people making the draw? We've got the Roosters again next week, second time in four weeks. That is beyond ridiculous.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the Knights have to play Canberra twice in 6 rounds and Panthers twice in 9, pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

The commentator in the Warriors/Sharks reserve grade game just said he was surprised how similar the Fifita twins look.

• Locked thread