Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And Sidhe Devil with the not-1936 Olympics in not-Berlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

This has been cathartic. I've been reading Conspiracy X, and I'm glad I'm not reviewing it, because it would definitely drive me to drink just like Dune's did.

The Throwing skill is subdivided into multiple weapon types.

The second Edition revamp to Unisystem fixes oh so much of the crap. Just like what happened between Armageddon First and Second Edition.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

At the risk of overt self-promotion

I vote this!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Plague of Hats posted:

Ultraviolence ahead.*

They're living suits of power armor, pretty direct rip-offs of Guyver. A little like Iron Man but with tentacles and space aliens instead of genius inventors. Not a terrible seed for an over-the-top Cthulhu-esque cyberpunk dystopia adventure game.

* They made two US-based live action movies of the Guyver. The first co-stars Mark Hammill as some filthy drunk detective; the second stars David Hayter, voice of Solid Snake up until MGS5. The first one also features Jimmy JJ Walker in his most patheticfinest role, and the second one is Power Rangers-level sanitized hilarity. The Americanization of some of the cartoons gets pretty hilarious, too.

Max is a filthy drunk CIA agent, not a detective.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tyler Zann, long-lost descendant of Erich Zann.

Ronnie Van Zann his redneck cousin.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

We read Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All. This one might really be the first heartbreaker. If you want something that combines long rambling speeches about the importance of nobility, casual disdain for "women's lib," and big timecubey style rules, you should rush out and buy this. It'll be around a dollar.

I have this purchased new from a Gordon's Bookstore. It is awful (even a grog like me will agree with that) but it is so loving earnest and dedicated to its awful it rolls over to amazing. I have actually played in a campaign of it and it was just as miserable as you can imagine especially since the GM was working on his Masters in Medieval Russian History and would not let anything slide.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its not their first and having played their first game it seems like its a step backwards. Admittedly, Blue Planet 2nd edition was pretty threadbare mechanically at least the system doesn't get in the way

I should cover Blue Planet 2ed sometime. It's a genuinely interesting game, and the mechanics are definitely early 2000s vintage, but not total crap. I did generate a character for for the 'Make Character for a System' thread (archives needed) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609987&userid=135246#post426295653

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Vermintide both continues to inspire and impede my attempt to review.

gently caress Packmasters...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes. Ever see those bricks of 27 six-siders? It's all downhill from there.

I'm told some people can run Champions combats quickly but I've never seen physical evidence of such a feat.

Once you get the rhythm combats can go quick. I started playing Champions back in 1st edition. The secret to it is, it's a superhero wargame masquerading as an RPG.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Doresh posted:

It's not ripoff. It's a hommage.

Give the shrimp a break. His eyes are so advanced that he sees stuff nobody else can, so maybe he has valid reasons for Falcon-Punching stuff, and we are just unable to understand his pain. Now here's an idea for a shrimp-based World-of-Darkness game.

Isn't this one of those settings where you're probably shooting the crap out of anything that walks torwards you, just to make sure?

I don't get this. Shrimps and crabs are already pretty alien to begin with. Just make 'em bigger, with sharper edges, spikes and maybe some skull-like motifs. Why is there no love for shrimps in Rifts?

Read the novel Fragment by Warren Fahy. He's got your giant mantis shrimp in spades.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Doresh posted:

Of course. They wouldn't be evil if they didn't do thinks purely for the evulz.

(Oh, and is anyone okay if I just continue ProfessorProf's TBZ review, or do you guys want a "reboot"?)

I'd just continue it unless ProfessorProf objects.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

That's a really fun airport novel. It'd make a fantastic modern or SF one-shot scenario for a con or any other time you don't mind a TPK. The setup is, there's an island in the SE Pacific that has been isolated for long enough for horrible deadly life forms to evolve in a genetic pressure cooker.

I'm scribbling note to make it the deadliest Traveller Red Zone ever.

Giant land dwelling predators evolved from Mantis Shrimp is all you really need to say.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Maxwell Lord posted:

Has anyone written up Blue Planet yet? Because I keep thinking of how that game lets you play uplifted orcas with rocket launchers.

I wrote up a Beluga Musician in the old 'Create a Character' thread, but I didn't go over it. It is a fantastic setting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

I hope this isn't a derail, but I'm curious if anyone reads roleplaying books like this normally? Like, from cover to cover?

I never do, personally, and this is why I'm curious. I just read the cool bits and the relevant-to-play bits. From then on, I only reference it again if I forget something important.

If this is a derail, ignore me.

Castle Falkenstein deserves to get read cover to cover. It really does.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It was pretty much designed to be read this way - IIRC, I thought most of the setting stuff was done like a journal / narrative.

Yeah Falkenstein was.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Deus Ex is a video game series, but it takes a good, long look at these issues that's worth considering.

Check out Bobbin Threadbare's LP of it which goes into unbelievable detail on the science and philosophy.

http://lparchive.org/Deus-Ex-(by-Bobbin-Threadbare)/

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 29, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I am now reinstalling Deus Ex. drat you all...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

I think Wick may be the only person I trust less than GW with Africa and colonialism.

Also, seeing Double Cross reviewed again has convinced me to get the PDF of it. Parasite Eve Times will be coming for my players.

King Leopold trumps Wick though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

John Wick posted:

Go out and buy a copy of Pendragon, Over the Edge, Ars Magica, Conspiracy X, Call of Cthulhu, Champions, Twilight: 2000, Delta Green, the James Bond RPG and Brave New World. They are great games.

I actually agree 100% with his choices. I'm agreeing with Wick...what just happened? :psyduck:

Count Chocula posted:

It's a Cozy Catastrophe: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jul/05/jane-rogers-top-10-cosy-catastrophes

Just a pleasant British countryside apocalypse, like Day of the Triffids or the 60s Dalek movie.

Forgotten Futures had Goodbye Piccadilly! concerning the destruction of London by various means in the Victorian era.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 28, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Wick is a embittered wannabe novelist/screenwriter who (to his credit) knows exactly what stories he wants to tell. He's just terrible at converting them to a form that provides equitable agency to his players.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

Here is an Afterthought for you guys, hopefully you want to discuss favorite campaign settings with us.

Castle Falkenstein and Brave New World. The first is a Prisoner of Zenda inspired fantasy universe with non-annoying steampunk flourishes and one of the most amazing uses of fluff text ever. The other is a superhero version of Deadlands at its core with a fascinating political background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Everblight posted:

Is this the GenChat thread? I can't find the GenChat thread and I would like to talk about Night's Black Agents. Can I do that here?

I love everything about the game except the Gumshoe system.

• Locked thread